Jump to content
    Krista
  • Author
  • 456 Words
  • 10,938 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Force of Nature - Prologue. Prologue

My Grandmother told me once that death is a force of nature -- like your shadow following close behind you. I didn’t understand her then. I didn’t understand it when she died either. But now that I’m lying here in the violence of my losing battle with life, I understand. She meant that death is a force of nature and that it follows close behind you as innocently as your own shadow -- easily forgotten. She probably meant for it to be romantic, that people are born, try to live a full life, and then die. My death is anything but romantic. It’s not raining, a cold and quiet night for New York, although I’ve not been here long enough to know for sure. There isn’t anyone running to get help or cradling my head in their lap. There isn’t anyone crying or screaming. I’m lying on a dirty sidewalk just outside the illumination of a street light, all for the money in my wallet -- money I wouldn’t have died for, but will. I hadn’t even noticed their approach; all I heard was the sound of a whisper before I was grabbed from behind. A hand covering my mouth kept me from screaming. Then my legs were kicked out from under me, splitting my head open on the cold cement. They didn’t stop beating me until I went limp.

Why isn't my death coming? The pain is intensifying, and I want death to finally take me. I don’t want to feel the pain the shock of the moment is barely allowing me to feel. Maybe I have to feel it before I die, but I hope the blood loss or something will take me first.

A scream found its way through my shock, a shrill and healthy scream that couldn’t have come from me. I open my eyes and tried to focus, but all I see is the dirty cement sidewalk covered by the blackness of my blood.

I hear the quick, but steady pounding of footsteps coming from behind me. Two sets, one more staccato and piercing than the other. Someone’s heels, the sound of her steps seem to echo through my head. I try to swallow and I tried to speak, but I can’t.

“Don’t touch him,” a man’s voice orders -- a deep, but youthful voice. I try to look behind me, but the movement of my eyes hurts.

“There’s so much blood,” the woman says as she finally came into view, her open-toed heels and legs anyway. She is careful to step around the puddle of blood and the last thought I have before I black out is that I might actually get the romantic death after all.

Copyright © 2015 Krista; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 42
  • Love 3
  • Wow 7
  • Angry 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

What a great prologue, Krista!

 

I'm so excited you have a new story!! :)

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 05/02/2015 02:10 AM, Lisa said:
What a great prologue, Krista!

 

I'm so excited you have a new story!! :)

Thankies! :D
  • Like 3
Link to comment

Interesting start and it sounded very painful. I prefer happy endings, so I hope there won't be a funeral at the end :/

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 09/24/2015 02:16 PM, Suvitar said:

Interesting start and it sounded very painful. I prefer happy endings, so I hope there won't be a funeral at the end :/

The Prologue is dark, yes. :) It is somewhat disconnected from the story as a whole.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 7/15/2018 at 1:49 PM, Higster said:

Strong Start! Already wanting to read more!

 

Thanks for giving the story a look! :D It is a very twisty/turn-y story. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment

After Ridley I thought going back to an earlier story might be interesting.  I like to explore changes in authors' styles over years.  It is a great start and immediately caught me.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
15 hours ago, raven1 said:

After Ridley I thought going back to an earlier story might be interesting.  I like to explore changes in authors' styles over years.  It is a great start and immediately caught me.

This story is very different from, Ridley. It is a bit of a soap-opera/Drama. It has a lot of fast twists and turns, it was fun to write. I'm not sure it is everyone's cup of tea though. I do hope you like the story. :)

  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..