Jump to content
    Krista
  • Author
  • 6,612 Words
  • 8,292 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Good Guys Finish Last - 12. Chapter 12

Waking up and thinking about what all happened last night made me smile. Derek and I had our first completely sexual encounter. I didn’t really want to think about it all that much though. I thought it’d ruin how great it was if I did. I knew that before it happened we were about to argue about how Derek was so closed in. What he told me afterwards though really made me understand a little of what he came from. I knew it took a lot for him to tell me what he fought so hard against at the beginning of yesterday. This was the first day that I woke up first and I wanted to let him sleep in and rest for once. So I scooted out of the bed as best I could. He stammered something in his sleep then groaned when the covers were pulled off him. Our air conditioning always made it chilly here in the mornings. So I carefully covered him then walked down the stairs not really paying attention to anything as I wiped the tiredness out of my eyes.

I looked out the window at the pool in the back yard. Then I looked over at the spot Lucy was buried and I sighed. I missed her. The grass was starting to grow back and I smiled when I saw some wild flowers growing at the base of the tree.

“Good morning.” Derek greeted stepping into the kitchen. I turned and looked at him and when he walked up to me I looked out the window again.

“Good morning.” I responded as his hand grabbed gently hold of mine. I had it resting on the counter.

“Thinkin about Lucy?” Derek asked and I looked to see him scanning the back yard as well.

“I was.” I answered as his thumb started rubbing across the back of my hand. “Mom too.”

“Are you ok?” Derek asked curiously. I had let myself forget about her recently and that started to bother me when I let myself admit it. I had been trying to live like I knew she wanted me to though and that did give me comfort.

“Yeah.” I answered after he turned to study me. “She’ll be something I think about everyday.”

“Yeah.” Derek added then he pulled his hand away gently. “Want some breakfast.”

“Yes I do, but I’m fixing it this time.” I answered and I offered him a smile before I turned and walked towards the refrigerator.

“Don’t like my cooking?” Derek asked following me around and helping me by handing me bowls and spoons. I was craving chocolate chip pancakes this morning. I knew it wasn’t a healthy breakfast, but mom made them every time she was in a great mood and this morning I was feeling a lot better than I had been for awhile. This would be the first time in a long while I had chocolate chip pancakes and I only hope they were as good as my mom’s.

“I do like your cooking.” I answered elbowing him in the side. “It’s just that you’re the only one doing any cooking so I want to take my turns.”

“Oh, ok.” Derek said shrugging. “I wasn’t in the mood really.”

“Yeah?” I asked studying him slightly “Are you…”

“I’m horny.” He interrupted and my mouth dropped slightly. I was going to ask him if he was alright. I may have thought that what he told me yesterday brought some ill feelings back into his mind.

“Sorry to disappoint, but Julie can smell these things from miles away.” I countered playfully. I was blushing at the thought of him being horny. It definitely wasn’t the type of thing to talk about over breakfast or the preparation of it.

“I think we should invest in some new locks.” He said and I nodded in agreement. Then we started laughing as someone burst into the living room. When she appeared at the entrance of the kitchen she looked us over before raising an eyebrow.

“What the hell is so funny?” She asked curiously.

“You.” I answered and she crossed her arms glaring at me.

“Well seeing as I just walked through the door I am curious to know just what is funny about me.” She stated in a tone that just made Derek and I laugh harder.

“Well actually it was your impeccable timing.” Derek offered and she glanced at her watch.

“Well I hate being the object of your enjoyment.” Julie countered sounding a bit flattered by it really. “Especially when I expected the two of you doing something else.”

“Well I offered this morning, but I was turned down.” Derek joked and I dropped the spoon that I was using onto the floor.

“Well you just announced it to the world Derek.” I stated bending down to pick up my spoon.

“Well look there, Charlie is getting into position.” Julie pointed out and I lost my balance hearing that and had to steady myself before I stood back up my face hot from blushing.

“Julie this isn’t appropriate morning conversation.” I countered glancing at her. “And shouldn’t you be at work?”

“Oh after you quit I did too.” Julie answered, “I cannot stand that woman with out you there.”

“Well then I’m sure there are other things you could be doing.” I countered and she looked me over before she stepped further into the kitchen.

“Do you not want me here for a reason?” She asked crossing her arms, “Because I can come back in an hour or two.”

“Julie!” I hissed as I started cooking the pancakes.

“Well I’m asking seriously.” She said then I heard her sniffing the air. “Never mind I’ll leave after I have me some pancakes.”

“Is that a promise?” I asked and she stepped up and rested her head on my shoulder.

“Not a chance.” She answered and I heard Derek laugh slightly. “There is a whole world out there beyond your bedroom that we’re going to explore today.”

“What do you have planned?” Derek asked curiously as he watched me smack Julie’s hand away from the pancake mix. She was attempting to dig out one of the chocolate chips.

“Oh well, as surprising as this may be, but Charlie has other friends besides you and me that wants to do something with him today and you of course.” Julie answered reaching into the bowl for another chance and I gently pushed it aside again. “That’s all I’ve got for now though.”

“Julie if you stop bugging me I can cook these a lot faster.” I groaned and she finally took her hands away. She was still resting her head on my shoulder as we all stood around the stove. I had never been watched this closely before when I cooked and it was actually a little unnerving.

“Is Brian tagging along?” Derek asked and Julie finally took her head off me to look at Derek.

“Yes and he’s still shocked that you two are gay.” Julie answered rolling her eyes. “Well Charlie especially.”

“Well when I was his lab partner and favorite person to interview for the school paper I guess it would come as a shock.” I shrugged, “But he’s not going to be holding any protests outside my house is he?”

“No.” Julie answered laughing slightly. “As a matter of fact I think he tends to want to play more your style if you know what I mean.”

“I don’t know what you mean.” I stated and Derek laughed.

“She thinks he’s gay.” Derek stated and I glanced at her as I put the last of the mix into the pan.

“Why do you think that?” I asked curiously. I couldn’t wait to hear her logic behind it.

“Because he’s simply a virgin.” Julie answered like she had all of this figured out.

“That doesn’t mean anything at all.” I countered shaking my head smiling.

“Well yes it does, because for some reason I can’t work him up enough to get him into bed with me.” Laura sighed sounding frustrated.

“Well maybe he’s waiting for a special occasion.” Derek offered and she looked at him.

“Honey, any time with me is a special occasion.” Julie countered in a serious tone.

“There you go being oblivious again.” I stated and she spanked my ass firmly causing me to jump about burning myself on the stove. Thankful that the cooking was complete and the house was still intact after the conversation we were currently having.

“I’m serious, I think Brian is gay.” Julie sighed scratching her head thoughtfully. “I mean what kind of guy turns down a good time with me?”

“A smart one.” I joked and she growled stepping away from me.

“Just you two go get ready so we can leave after breakfast.” Julie ordered sitting down at the table. “No need to shower I think they want to go to the beach.”

“The beach?” I asked curiously, “We’re not anywhere near the beach.”

“I know.” She said, “We’ll be making the day out of it.”

“Well do we need to pack?” I asked sitting down at the table ignoring Julie’s order. By the time Derek and I were both showered and dressed I thought she’d have our pancakes and hers eaten.

“A few extra clothes and some necessities.” She said waving her hand, “Not food though, Becky has that covered.”

“Ok.” I sighed, “Is that a good plan Derek?”

“Yeah.” Derek said offering me a smile. “I could always stand a cold shower every once in a while.”

“You’re about as bad a Julie!” I chided almost choking on my milk. We ate quickly and to Julie’s disappointment both Derek and I showered. I didn’t want to stink and in this heat we would if we didn’t shower before we left beach or not. After we packed with Julie impatiently pushing and ordering us around we finally got everything in order and walked out. I hoped I didn’t forget anything that I needed and when I we took off to go meet Becky, Matt, and Rick.

“We’re supposed to meet them at the park.” She pointed out when I turned to ask her the question. She had always had some way of reading my mind and that scared me slightly.

“Alright.” I said and put the car into gear and started towards the park.

“So Derek.” Julie said getting Derek’s attention.

“What?” Derek asked turning to face her.

“Do you think Charlie is hot?” Julie asked curiously and Derek looked over at me.

“Julie.” I hissed clenching the steering wheel. “Stop asking inappropriate questions.”

“That question isn’t inappropriate Charlie.” Julie argued and I looked at her through the rear view mirror.

“Well yeah I think he’s hot.” Derek answered her after a short pause. I was curious to know too, but I had already figured. I mean people don’t normally jump into bed with someone they think is unattractive.

“Is he good in bed?” Julie asked quickly, she tried to lower her voice, but I heard her.

“Julie!” I snapped, “Fucking hell!”

“Just pretend you can’t hear me.” Julie stated rolling her eyes. “I mean I’ve been curious about you in the bedroom, but I can never experience that with you so I might as well get my answers from the person that knows.”

“You don’t have to know what I’m like in bed.” I responded shaking my head. “I thought your stuffy parents would at least teach you some manners.”

“He’s pretty good in the sack.” Derek said when he finally got a chance to talk and I swerved slightly not expecting him to answer her, but I knew that they both were pretty open people to most things.

“You two aren’t allowed to talk anymore.” I stammered quickly. My face was hot from me being embarrassed and my knuckles were turning white from the grip I had on the wheel.

“You passed up the park.” Julie groaned sitting back and I looked over my shoulder to find that I had passed it and I saw Rick and Matt waving their arms like idiots on the side of the road so I stopped the car and looked around for any policemen before I did a quick turn around in the middle of the road and went back to the park.

“Are you ok?” Derek asked curiously.

“I’m fine.” I offered smiling. “Julie you’re riding with Matt, Rick, and Becky.”

“I am not.” She countered crossing her arms. “They invited Sara so she’s riding with them.”

“Damn.” I sighed looking back at her. “I’m warning you now, if you can’t behave then I will set your ass out on the side of the road.”

“You wouldn’t.” She huffed measuring me. “You’re too nice.”

“Where’s your gay boyfriend at?” Derek asked looking around. The question stopped the arguing as we all looked for him.

“The idiot is late.” She hissed opening her door and standing. She then rummaged through her purse and dialed a number.

“Do you really think he’s gay?” I asked looking over at Derek.

“No.” He answered laughing slightly. “We can always find out though. Either way it’d be fun.”

“How?” I asked smiling, I liked playing stupid pranks on people.

“We’ll have to see.” Derek answered shrugging.

“Where the hell are you?” Julie shouted impatiently into her cell phone. “Well you better get your ass down here within two minutes or we’re leaving your ass.”

“She doesn’t keep boyfriends long does she?” Derek asked as we overheard the conversation.

“No.” I responded and we both started laughing when she got back into the car and looked like she could kill Brian when he did actually show up.

“Where’s he at?” Derek asked and only got a glare out of Julie so he turned back around and smirked at me. At least Brian could keep her quiet for a little while.

“Where were you going Charlie?” Matt asked through the window. I could barely hear him so I rolled down the window.

“Oh you can’t drive with Julie in the damn car.” I offered and Matt laughed.

“I can only imagine.” He stated then looked back at Becky and Rick. “Them two have been arguing a lot too.”

“Why?” I asked and Matt shrugged.

“I think it started again when Becky went grocery shopping.” Matt answered looking confused. “I think Rick wanted beer. They‘ve been going at it ever since the engagement party though.”

“Well Becky isn’t old enough to buy it anyway.” I countered then I heard Julie dial a phone number again.

“Is Sara here?” Derek asked Matt leaning over me so that he could see him.

“She’s not here yet either.” Matt answered Derek then smiled. “Brian picked her up.”

“I didn’t think they knew one another.” I said finally understanding why Julie was so pissed at Brian.

“Sara knows everybody.” Matt stated and we were all getting bored waiting on Sara and Brian to get here.

“So Matt are you excited about your upcoming wedding?” Derek asked curiously. I liked that he was trying to get better acquainted with my friends. More faces other than mine would make him feel more at home in this town I thought. My friends were good friends for him too.

“I am scared shitless dude.” Matt answered squatting down and resting his head on his arms. I had always had a crush on Matt. He was the type of guy everyone admired. He was the smartest person in school, looked great every day even with a 102 temperature. He was also never pissed or angered by anything. He just took it all in stride and dealt with problems when he came to them. He also had boyish features with large dark brown eyes and less defined cheek bones. He was also lean bodied and he always kept his hair short almost buzzed most of the time.

“You and Becky will make it alright.” I offered and he looked back at her.

“I’m not worried about Becky.” He countered smiling. “I’m worried about Rick.”

“Why?” Julie asked as she had been listening in on our conversation after hanging up on Brian for a second time.

“He’s getting pretty cranky with Becky lately.” Matt answered frowning slightly, “Becky can’t do anything right with him anymore.”

“I’ll talk to him.” Julie stated and we all knew what that meant. She was going to get him alone and give him a bitchy lecture.

“Are they about here?” Matt asked glancing at his watch. “We’re going to be late and if we’re late we’re going to have to stay overnight to actually enjoy the damn beach.”

“Yeah they’re coming, I think we should leave them though.” Julie answered frowning.

“You would strand Brian if it meant Sara wouldn’t be coming too.” Matt joked causing her to flip him off.

“I wouldn’t mind that idea either.” She responded tapping her nail against her phone impatiently. When they finally got here and Brian got his stuff into my trunk he got in the back and when Sara got settled into Matt’s car I let Matt get ahead of us since I hadn’t been to the beach that much and wouldn’t know the way exactly.

“Hey guys.” Brian greeted quietly. “Sorry if I took too long.”

“It’s alright.” I offered keeping my eyes on Matt’s car. There wasn’t any traffic, but I didn’t want to lose him. I did glance at Derek when he put his hand on my knee and he winked and smirked. I knew what he was doing. Brian could see that Derek’s hand was on my leg from where he was sitting.

“You could have gotten here a lot faster if you left Sara’s ass behind.” Julie snapped, she still had her arms crossed and was looking straight ahead.

“I wasn’t the one that invited her.” Brian argued growing tired of Julie’s attitude. “Becky did and I just lived the closest to her and she’s a friend of mine too you know.”

“Yes I do know, but I don’t like her. “ Julie stated shortly.

“Then don’t be mad.” Brian ordered carefully. “So that you can enjoy yourself.”

“Oh I will have tons of fun.” She said slapping him on the stomach. “Making you pay.”

“Be nice Julie.” I ordered rolling my eyes.

“I’m only kidding.” She said then sighed. “Sara just ruins everything for me some way she never fails.”

“Most of the time she doesn’t even do anything.” I countered shrugging. “You just don’t like her.”

“Derek, I’m sorry that you have to be related to her.” Julie said ignoring me and Derek turned to look at her.

“What did she do to you exactly?” Derek asked curiously.

“She beat me in everything.” Julie whined shaking her head. “Homecoming queen, prom queen, cheerleading captain, you name it she beat me at it.”

“So you’re jealous.” Derek responded and I heard Julie gasp.

“I am not jealous of that bitch!” Julie countered raising her voice.

“The evidence says you are.” Derek protested and I glanced at Derek when he continued the conversation. He was trying to protect his cousin, but he’d never change Julie’s mind when it came to Sara Lawrence. Them two were born to be rivals. It got quiet then and I wondered just how we were supposed to enjoy ourselves at the beach when we actually got there. Rick and Becky were arguing. Julie was irritating to be around. She’s pissed at Brian and won’t be able to focus on anything but the fact that her worst enemy is on this trip with us. It was definitely building up to be an interesting trip. It was late into the afternoon when we did finally arrive and the ride over stayed quiet. Getting out of the car I had to stretch. Matt’s parents privately owned this part of the beach and Matt always came here for a week or two every summer with them. This was the first year that he was allowed to come here by himself though and bring friends along.

“Hey guys.” Becky greeted, she looked tired and a bit frustrated.

“Hey Becky.” I greeted and she hugged me for a few seconds and I heard her sigh. Rick must have really been hard on her lately.

“Rick can I talk to you for a minute?” Julie asked walking up to Rick and took him by the hand. She led him down the beach to where we couldn’t hear what they were saying.

“I guess we should get grilling right?” Becky asked after turning back to look at me.

“Sure.” Matt answered her from behind with Sara standing next to him. Then Becky and Matt grabbed the bags of food and started walking to the small condo that

“Did Julie complain the entire ride up here after she found out I was comin?” Sara asked smiling intently when our expressions answered her question.

“Yes.” We all answered at the same time.

“Nice seeing you again cousin.” Derek greeted then surprised Sara by grabbing her up into a big bear hug.

“You too, but put me down I’m still recovering from the car ride.” She ordered and he put her down quickly and she held her hand over her mouth before she started jogging down the beach to a trash can that she saw. Derek looked at me briefly before he took off running after her and that left me and Brian standing by the cars.

“So when did you know that you liked guys?” Brian asked leaning against the car.

“I always did.” I answered shrugging.

“I never would have thought that…”

“Yeah, but I am gay.” I stated interrupting him. It wasn’t a big surprise. Anyone could be gay and I didn’t know why Brian was having a hard time believing it.

“Sorry.” He stammered looking me over. “It just doesn’t suit you.”

“How does it not suit me?” I asked curiously.

“Well before you were a smart, laidback, mans man.” Brian answered and I leaned against the car to listen to him. “You were always with either Julie or Sara in the hallways and you always hung out with Matt, Rick, Becky, and Julie.”

“So that doesn’t make me look gay?” I asked not getting the connection at all.

“Yeah, that’s exactly it.” Brian answered nodding his head slightly.

“Well Brian, maybe you shouldn’t depend on stereotypes.” I offered a little defensively, I didn’t want to be studied by Brian anymore.

“Does your friends know?” Brian asked curiously, “I mean I know Julie knows, but does everyone else?”

“Yeah everyone knows.” I answered as we both started walking towards the condo. We noticed that everyone else had started in that direction as well and there was a faint smell of cooking food in the air and it made me hungry.

“Did your mom know?” He asked curiously and I stiffened up and stopped walking. “I’m…”

“I didn’t tell her.” I interrupted and started walking again and my action stopped Brian’s interrogation and I was thankful. We weren’t in high school anymore he didn’t have a reason to interview me for some kind of story that I knew he’d want to tell other people.

“I’m sorry.” He stammered as we entered the house.

“Just don’t tell anyone alright?” I asked following him through the living room and into the kitchen where everyone else was crammed into. After the dinner was cooked we all took it outside on the porch to eat it since it left us with more room. We all had glasses of lemonade that Becky had made.

“Becky your lemonade needs more sugar.” Rick stated grimacing and handed his glass to her.

“Rick.” Julie hissed raising an eyebrow. “The lemonade is fine and you know it.”

“What is with you man?” Matt asked finally having enough of Rick.

“Nothing.” Rick shrugged looking around. “Can’t I not think my sister’s lemonade sucks?”

“It’s not just the lemonade Rick.” Becky sighed handing his glass back to him. “It’s everything that I go to do.”

“It is not.” Rick protested taking a bite of his baked potato. “This thing is undercooked.”

“See!” Becky hissed, “You watched me cook those and you told me to take them out because I was over cooking them.”

“Well…”

“No Rick.” Becky snapped cutting him off. “What are you trying to do here with me?”

“Let’s just drop it guys.” Matt ordered looking around. “This is supposed to be a trip so that we could get reconnected.”

“I still don’t know why Sara was invited she isn’t part of our group.” Julie piped in and Sara gave her an amused look.

“When are you going to drop the jealousy act you have going?” Sara asked and Julie’s eyes narrowed.

“When you learn to stay the fuck away from me and my friends.” Julie answered and the food was neglected by everyone as Becky and Rick started arguing again and Matt just sat his plate down and entered the condo.

“Enough!” Bellowed Derek and I jumped as I was sitting next to him and it had obviously scared Brian who was sitting on the other side of me because I felt his ice cold lemonade splash all over us both.

“Fuck!” I hissed standing up and dancing awkwardly.

“I’m sorry.” Brian said standing he had the lemonade all over his shirt as I had it all over my crotch. Everyone did stop arguing though.

“You guys are friends and look at you all.” Derek stated shaking his head. “It’s pathetic for people our age to act the way you guys are.”

“Yeah really.” I added when Rick looked over at Derek in a way that I didn’t like. “I need to go change then we’re all going to talk about this, I’ve had enough of it all.”

“I need to change too.” Brian stammered and started walking with me to the car. After getting our bags out of the trunk we walked in to find Matt on the phone and I put my finger on my lips. Matt couldn’t see us because he had his back turned.

“I don’t think I can marry her mom.” He said in a shaky voice. “No, it’s Rick. I don’t know what his problem is, but he’s driving Becky and me crazy and it’s really stressing her out.”

“Matt?” I said and he noticed me. For him to be crying and talking to his mom like that I knew he had really had all that he could handle. “We’re going to talk about this as soon as I’m changed, so don’t give up hope yet ok?”

“Ok.” He nodded weakly, he looked embarrassed that I had caught him crying and I glanced at Brian who looked like he was caught witnessing something that he shouldn’t have, but when I started walking towards the bathroom he started following me again.

“What the hell?” I asked as I turned around to shut the bathroom door to find Brian standing in my way.

“Can we talk?” Brian asked looking around the bathroom after he made brief eye contact with me.

“Can’t it wait until we’re changed?” I asked not answering his question.

“Well we can change together, we’re both men right?” He said as he stepped further into the bathroom and I had to take a step back so that he wouldn’t bump into me.

“I guess so.” I shrugged, it wasn’t that big of a deal for me. I was used to it. Even if Brian was the last person I wanted to have a conversation with after the one we had earlier today.

“So what’s on your mind?” I asked after we fell silent. I hadn’t started changing yet, but he had quickly taken his shirt off and he had definitely been working out. He had changed from that lanky lab partner that I knew. His pants weren’t wet so he stepped over and wetted a washcloth to get the sticky feeling off his stomach and chest.

“Do you know why I always wanted to be your lab partner?” Brian asked nonchalantly and he studied me in the bathroom mirror.

“I thought it was because we were the best two in science.” I answered shrugging. “That was the reason you told me anyway.”

“Yeah I know.” Brian offered then he fell silent again. I kicked off my shoes during that time and started unbuttoning my shorts.

“Do you know why I always wanted to interview you?” Brian asked a little more tense now and after he dried off his stomach and put his clean shirt on he turned around and faced me.

“I thought you had to because the editor wanted you to.” I answered and Brian smirked slightly.

“No I was the one that decided to do the ongoing story on you.” Brian countered carefully. He shifted his feet slightly as I watched him become a little nervous. The conversation that I had with Derek and Julie came back into mind then.

“Why?” I asked raising an eyebrow as I unzipped my shorts and let them fall to my feet then I stepped out of them. He looked down at the floor at them then traced his eyes over my body.

“Because that was the only way I got you to open up to me.” He answered, “I liked it because it made us feel closer and I liked knowing all there was to know about you.”

“You could have asked during lab or something I would have told you then.” I countered and he nodded.

“I know, but I wanted there to be a reason behind the questions.” Brian stammered before he wrapped his hands around me quickly and I heard the door open then his face darted towards mine and I turned my head to see Derek staring at Brian and I. Then I felt Brian’s lips brush against my cheek and I had hold of Brian’s arms that were wrapped around me. “I’ve always had a thing for you.”

“Well now.” Derek said and I felt Brian stiffen then he stepped away from me.

“Derek…” I started but he held up his hand.

“Why is he even in here with you?” Derek asked looking us over.

“Because he followed me…”

“Not a good enough reason.” Derek countered interrupting me then he stepped out of the doorway and shut the door leaving me alone with Brian again.

“Brian get your ass out of this bathroom.” I ordered taking my shirt off after he left the bathroom. I pulled my underwear off and quickly washed the lemonade off of me before I got redressed as quickly as I could. When I got out Brian was no where in sight and I feared that Derek got to him.

“Matt where’s Derek?” I asked as Matt was still sitting at the table, but Becky had joined him.

“Oh, he walked out the front door him and Sara went somewhere.” Becky answered after Matt shrugged.

“Thanks.” I offered before I hurried out the front door. Brian, Rick, and Julie was cleaning up the dishes on the porch and I was relieved that Derek didn’t beat the shit out of Brian.

“Julie can we talk?” Brian mumbled and I looked at them then Julie caught me.

“Yeah in a minute.” Julie answered then stepped up to me. “Did you see a ghost Charlie?”

“No.” I answered, “What way did Sara and Derek go?”

“They went that way.” Julie answered pointing opposite from the cars so they couldn’t have gone that far. “Why?”

“I believe that talk you’re about to have with Brian better explain why.” I said looking at Brian pointedly and he nodded before I turned in the direction that Julie pointed. I hear Julie ask him what the fuck he done, but I didn’t care how nasty it got for Brian right now I was just worried that the person that I found that I needed in my life was about to run out of it.

“Over here Charlie!” Sara yelled after I hadn’t seen them. It was getting dark now.

“Sara!” Derek gasped standing up. They were sitting in the sand facing the waves of the ocean.

“Well you were just saying that you needed to talk to him and he’s here.” Sara said and that worried me.

“Yeah I need to.” Derek agreed, “But I didn’t mean right this minute.”

“If you’d just tell me what he did to upset you…”

“I caught him in the bathroom with Brian.” Derek interrupted her and Sara looked surprised as I walked up to them.

“I might have been in there with him, but he surprised me just as much as he did you.” I offered sitting in front of him and Sara who studied the both of us. I was glad she wasn’t yelling at me yet. Part of her wanted to, that was easy to read on her face.

“You shouldn’t have been though Charlie.” Derek countered putting his hands on his face then let them drop.

“It wasn’t like I could tell that he was going to throw himself on me.” I argued putting my hands on his knees. “Please calm down.”

“I am calm.” Derek countered quickly. “You could have pushed him out the door, but you didn’t.”

“I know I didn’t.” I responded getting frustrated. “I’m right here with you ok, that stupid little kiss on the cheek meant nothing to me.”

“It shouldn’t have happened.” Derek countered stubbornly.

“I didn’t know that it was going to, shit!” I snapped standing up. “Think what you want to you stubborn fuck, but I like you. I am here with you and I want to leave here and go home with you whenever we leave. Not Brian.”

“Derek.” Sara urged after we fell into an uncomfortable silence. Derek looked at her when she said his name, but didn’t acknowledge what I just said.

“I need you in my life.” I offered weakly before stood then I slowly I walked back to the condo leaving them. When I joined everyone else. Brian and Julie were on opposite sides of the porch and Julie was fuming. Rick was outside in the middle of them looking a little flushed.

“You should have been here Julie has snapped.” Rick said and I look over at Brian studying him closer and I saw that he had a cut on his chin and some red marks on his face.

“Julie!” I gasped turning to look at her. “What the hell?”

“He kissed you knowing that you were with Derek and Derek saw you.” Julie growled, “The idiot. And didn’t I tell you he was gay?”

“We’ll work that out.” I said, not really knowing if was true or not. “Rick go get Matt and Becky.” When Rick did leave to do what I said I sighed. I promised Matt that we’d talk about Rick’s problem with Becky that had Matt so torn up. When he returned with them I sat down on the rail looking them over.

“What’d you want?” Becky asked offering me a smile.

“To have that talk I promised Matt.” I answered and Matt looked down at his hands.

“Rick do you have anything to say to Becky and Matt?” I asked pointedly and he looked thoughtful for a second.

“Nope, nothing.” Rick answered and I sighed.

“Then why are you given them a hard time?” I asked, “You were thrilled that they got engaged, but now that they’re about to get married you’re acting like an ass towards Becky.”

“I’m not acting like an ass towards Becky.” Rick countered standing up and was about to walk into the condo.

“Oh and the lemonade was too sour, the baked potatoes was undercooked and she forgot beer that she couldn’t have bought to begin with?” I asked stopping Rick and he turned to look at me. “Come on now just be honest.”

“She is my little sister and she is marrying my best friend.” Rick said evenly. “It’s starting to get to me.”

“How is it getting to you?” Becky asked holding onto Matt’s hand.

“He’ll be fucking you Becky, he’ll be having kids with you, you’ll be living with him, I’ll have to kick his ass if he ever hurts you.” Rick answered and Becky and Matt both shifted uncomfortably in their seats.

“Well get over that honey, because they love one another and you’re the best man.” Julie ordered and we all turned to look at her. She was never one to offer the best pick me ups.

“Don’t you trust Matt?” I asked curiously, “With Becky?”

“Well yeah, more so than with her other deadbeat boyfriends.” Rick answered crossing his arms.

“Then the best bet for you is to let them two get married and to stop pushing them apart.” I responded and I looked out away from the porch. You couldn’t see anything beyond the lights from the house so Sara and Derek weren’t in sight and I sighed. “Are you going to stop and let them be happy?”

“Yeah.” He mumbled quickly and I turned to look at him.

“Seriously?” I asked, “Say it like you mean it.”

“Fine, damn.” Rick snapped, “I’ll leave Becky and Matt alone, you two have my blessings and all that nonsense.”

“Thanks.” Becky said wrapping him up into a hug and I walked past them into the house. Matt and Becky had set up the living room. There was a sleeping bag on the ground on top of the couch cushions. The couch was folded out to the bed part of it then there was an air mattress on the ground in the large walkway that connected the kitchen and the living room with two sleeping bags on it. This was the guy’s part of the house I thought. You had to walk across the air mattress to enter the living room and I did. I stripped down to my underwear and got into bed. I knew it was early in the night, but everyone soon started getting ready , but I ignored them. They had all their own problems on their minds as well as me. I did open my eyes enough to see Brian had chosen the sleeping bag on the couch cushions. He had his back to me as he stripped down. Then I watched as Becky, Sara, and Julie walked across the air mattress to the back bedroom. It was a one bedroom condo and the girls got it. I then closed my eyes and turned my back to everyone and that’s when I felt the couch bed move and I turned to see Matt getting into bed with me so I turned to look to see Rick and Derek getting into their sleeping bags on the air mattress and I sighed. After the lights were turned off I silently started to cry, but Matt felt the bed shake from my sobbing and I felt his hand brush across my back so I turned to find him looking at me.

“What’s wrong?” He whispered and I could barely hear him.

“Oh, me and Derek had a fight.” I answered, “We’ll work it out in the morning though. Goodnight.”

“Ok.” Matt offered and I turned my back to him again then he surprised me when he spooned up against me and wrapped his arm around my stomach. It was what I needed right now.

“Thanks.” I whispered and I felt him nod against my shoulder. Even if I wished it was Derek.

Copyright © 2010 Krista; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 7
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..