Jump to content
    Krista
  • Author
  • 3,935 Words
  • 2,262 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Good Guys Finish Last - 14. Chapter 14

Sitting in a jail cell wasn’t the highlight of the day. I don’t think it would be for anyone who had to. The only thing good about this place is that it wasn’t an actual prison. It was on the beach and there were only a couple of actual cells back here. It was dimly lit, but for the most part clean. There weren’t any toilets in sight, but there was a sink in the far corner. This was just some holding facility for people who were drunk or something. None of us had actually done anything to deserve jail time anyway.

 

“Can I please call my parents so that they can wire you the money?” Sara asked as a guard walked by. He looked in our direction and smirked.

 

“I don’t have the authority to tell you what you can do,” he said, “you guys have to wait for Officer McBride.”

 

“Where is he?” Sara asked she stood and walked over to the cell door.

 

“He’s not here,” he said then kept walking by. Sara then let out a long sigh and returned to the bench. She was sitting on the other side of Derek. I was sitting beside Julie. Rick and Becky were on the end opposite of me and Matt and Brian were standing.

 

“This place,” Julie started and I turned my head and looked at her, “is disgusting.”

 

“It looks pretty clean to me,” I said.

 

“It’s depressing,” she said, “the company isn’t the best either.”

 

“Don’t start getting moody Jules,” I said and she frowned.

 

“Well I don’t know how our weekend became this shitty,” she said, “does anyone have their cell phones?” When no one answered Julie huffed and crossed her arms. She rested her head on my shoulder and I smiled. We were all going through this together and that made this place bearable to me. “I have to pee.”

 

“Julie, just stop complaining,” Rick ordered standing up, “I can’t stand much more of this.”

 

“You just told me to stop complaining and you start,” Julie countered standing up.

 

“I am not complaining,” Rick said crossing his arms, “I just don’t want to listen to you talk about how shitty everything is right now.”

 

“You know what, fuck you Rick,” Julie snapped, when I reached for her arm to pull her back down she pulled away from me. That’s when I realized that the two of them were going to have it out. The rest of us were going to suffer through it too.

 

“You’re just spoiled, you know that?” Rick asked and Julie uncrossed her arms and took at step towards Rick, but Matt stepped in between them.

 

“Let’s not give them a reason to call the real cops,” Matt said, he had to put his hand on Julie’s shoulder to stop her.

 

“I am not spoiled, but you really are an asshole,” Julie said, continuing her argument.

 

“Julie, I said to stop,” Matt said sounding more like a parent scolding a child.

 

“None of us are in a good mood, but you always make it worse with your whining and complaining,” Rick said then Matt just stepped back and turned to look around at the rest of us. I just shrugged, and patted the seat beside me. Matt and Brian had been standing since we got here. The bench being too small for all of us to fit and when he sat down he let out a long sigh.

 

“I was hoping one of the guards could hear and put them in separate cells,” I said loud enough for everyone to hear. Rick and Julie turned to look at me and I smiled at them.

 

“Charlie be quiet,” Julie huffed, “Rick had this coming all weekend.”

 

“No I didn’t, you’re just a bitch,” Rick countered and Julie turned around.

 

“Just like old times isn’t it?” Matt said, “Rick and Julie wouldn’t be the same if they got along.”

 

“No, they wouldn’t be,” Becky answered.

 

“When will Officer McBride save us?” Derek asked, we had all tried tuning the two of them out, but it was hard. Julie and Rick had started pointing out different things from their past that helped their own arguments. The two of them would be back on speaking terms as soon as we get out of here and they get a break from one another.

 

“What if we have to stay and do community service?” I asked and they all looked at me.

 

“Then we tell McBride that we want a job away from those two,” Derek answered causing everyone to laugh. It shut Rick and Julie up, both wondering why we were laughing.

 

“Now, you two just don’t talk to one another until we’re out,” Becky ordered, “we can’t get into more trouble, we’re lucky not to be in some cramped prison split up as it is.”

 

“What do you mean split up?” Julie asked walking over and just plopping herself down onto my lap.

 

“Well you, Sara and I would have to go to a woman’s prison,” Becky answered.

 

“Fuck that,” Julie said leaning back against me.

 

“Did I say you could sit on my lap?” I asked and she turned her hand to look at me.

 

“I don’t want to sit in the floor and my feet hurt,” Julie whined. We all heard Rick groan and I felt Julie tense up, but she didn’t start another round with Rick and I think everyone was thankful for that. It fell silent then and I wondered what Mom thought about all this. She would probably be laughing as she busted us all out of Beach Patrol prison. Dad would be pissed that we didn’t follow rules, but then she’d tell him to stop lecturing. She’d tell him to just let us be kids and he’d let it drop. There were so many reasons why that wouldn’t happen and I didn’t want to think about those. It didn’t stop me from releasing a few tears though and I closed my eyes and leaned back against the wall. When I felt a thumb whipping away the tears I opened my eyes and found Derek looking at me. We were the only two that were leaning back.

 

“Are you ok?” He whispered.

 

“Yeah I was just thinking about something,” I answered offering him a smile, “happier times with the parents.”

 

“Oh,” he said still rubbing his thumb across my face. He only let it drop when we all heard our cell open.

 

“Remain seated,” he ordered, “I’m officer McBride.”

 

“We’re sorry, we didn’t,” Matt started but McBride held up his finger, as he looked us all over.

 

“Ma’am could you get off the man and go stand by the end of the bench,” McBride said. Julie then stood and walked over to stand by Matt. “We need contact numbers so that we can get your fines paid to get you guys out of here,” he handed Julie a clip board. “Put your first and last name then the number then pass it to the next person.”

 

“What if I don’t have a number to put down?” I asked getting his attention.

 

“But you have one Charlie,” Derek said, “Put down your Dad’s number.”

 

“No,” I answered frowning.

 

“Don’t be picky kid just get the fines paid for,” McBride said sounding impatient.

 

“Fine,” I said, “But the whore will answer the phone and freak so be warned. I better put down her cell phone too incase she’s on the home line talking to her mommy.”

 

“Whatever works,” McBride said and I was handed the clipboard. I wrote down my name then the two numbers. I had trouble remembering her cell phone as I only called it once the whole time I knew her. I passed the clipboard on to Derek then and crossed my arms. Dad would be at work and I really didn’t want him to get the phone call anyway.

 

When we were all finished Brian handed the clipboard back to McBride and he left our cell with it closing and locking behind him. He walked through the other door and we were left completely alone again.

 

“Well this is the end of my summer,” Brian said.

 

“Nobody cares,” Julie said and I looked at her to see her rolling her eyes.

 

“It’s not our fault really,” Matt said, “So just say I got you into trouble.”

 

“You don’t know my parents,” Brain countered and I was thinking like Julie. Brian was the thorn in a lot of people’s side this entire weekend I would rather him just be quiet until everyone got home.

 

“I don’t know what to tell you then,” Matt said, “I’m sorry though.”

 

“Just tell your over protective dumb ass parents to get off your back,” Julie said crossing her arms. “It’s what I’m planning to tell mine when I get home anyway.” We all laughed at her knowing her parents. I could see her mother crying and wrestling with Julie trying to kiss and hug her and her father standing back ready to lay down his discipline.

 

After that we all were anxious for our parents to start shuffling in to bust us out of jail. It was a long drive for them to make, but we wouldn’t be out of here if they didn’t drive it. I wondered who Derek put down as his contacts. He didn’t have the best relationship with his parents either. I had never met them so I was curious to get a look at them if they were the ones to show up.

 

When the heavy door opened McBride walked through it and he didn’t look at all happy when he opened up our cell. Everyone stopped what they were doing and I glanced at everyone. They all looked nervous. Not enough time had passed for any of them to get down to the beach to pay yet and I was worried that someone would be staying.

 

“Charlie?” McBride called and I raised my hand and dreaded the worst.

 

“Your step mother refused to pay your fines,” he said, “do you have any other numbers?”

 

“No,” I said crossing my arms.

 

“Call my parents back,” Julie said, “they’ll pay for him.”

 

“Is that ok Charlie?” McBride asked before leaving.

 

“It’s better than staying down here,” I said and he nodded his head and left us again.

 

“Damn,” Rick muttered, “your dad picked a winner.”

 

“Don’t I know it,” I said walking back to the bench and sitting down. It wasn’t that long before McBride walked back through the door looking frustrated.

 

“Your parents had already left,” he said and Julie looked at me.

 

“Well can’t you just let me leave and I send you a check?” I asked since I had no other option.

 

“We’re not allowed to do that,” McBride said and looked down at my hands.

 

“Then I guess I’m staying,” I said feeling defeated.

 

“Did you call anyone else?” Julie asked and I looked up.

 

“No,” he answered.

 

“Well then can I go pee?” Julie asked and McBride opened the cell and held the door open for her. He opened the other door for her and told someone to shower her where the bathrooms were then he turned back to me.

 

“Can I try my step mother again?” I asked standing up.

 

“Yeah come on out,” he said and I walked out of the cell and he closed it behind me. I followed him out and he sat down at his desk and dialed the number then handed me the phone. I wanted some privacy, but I wasn’t going to get it.

 

“Hello?” Cindy greeted and I looked down at McBride then turned away from him.

 

“It’s Charlie,” I said trying to hold back the anger in my voice. I could feel my face getting hot and my palms started sweating. I didn’t want to stay here and do community service or sitting in some jail until they thought I had earned my freedom. I definitely didn’t want to be alone and going through this either. I wouldn’t expect my friends to stay even if they all loved me and probably thought they should stay to watch over me.

 

“Oh, hey honey,” she said.

 

“Why aren’t you driving down here to pay my fine?” I asked and I heard her sigh.

 

“Me and your father have plans,” she said.

 

“Well I do think I’m more important than them,” I countered, “get the money and come get me.”

 

“No,” she said and I reached up with my free hand and rubbed my forehead trying to stay calm.

 

“Why the hell not?” I asked after a short pause.

 

“I already told you Charlie, we have plans,” she said, “your dad is here talk to him yourself.”

 

“What is he doing home?” I asked but the phone had already been handed to him.

 

“I’m home because Cindy and I have plans like she said,” he answered and I sat down on the desk only to be pushed back to my feet by McBride. I glanced over my shoulder and he looked like he was about to tell me to hang up.

 

“Dad if you don’t come down here and pick my ass up then we’re going to have problems later,” I said raising my voice.

 

“I think if people get into trouble then they have to face the consequences son,” he said, “I know I did when I was your age.”

 

“You know what forget it,” I said then I handed the phone to McBride and he hung it up.

 

“No luck?” He asked and I just looked at him. He stood and I followed him back to everyone else. I hadn’t noticed Julie walking through the front of the station, but she was back in there when I got back. When the cell was opened I walked past everyone and didn’t look at anyone as I walked to the bench and sat down on it. Julie came over to where I was and she wrapped her arms around my shoulders and pulled me against her. Then I put my head on her shoulder and started crying. I had been fighting it, but I couldn’t anymore. If Mom were still alive she’d already be here paying for me to leave. She’d not ask questions until tomorrow. Today she’d just be thankful that I was healthy and alright. It only made me realize that my Dad really only wanted a life with Cindy. No matter how close he wanted me to think the two of us were.

 

“Plans, they have plans,” I said stopping myself from crying.

 

“They’re just assholes Charlie, you’ll be rid of them when you start college,” Julie soothed.

 

“They’re supposed to care about shit like this,” I hissed standing up and walking over to the sink. I turned the water on and grabbed a paper towel out of the dispenser and held it under the water. I washed my face with it then and then threw it in the trash.

 

“Just calm down Charlie,” Derek said stepping up to me, “I’ll stay with you.”

 

“No,” I said, “just go on home.”

 

“You know I can’t leave you,” he said rubbing my shoulder, “so shut up.”

 

“Fine, suffer along with me,” I said knowing I couldn’t make him leave even if his parents were probably almost here with his money. McBride could make him leave though and I would end up alone before the day was over.

 

McBride walked through the door then and he finally had a hint of smile on his face when he opened our cell door. Someone was about to leave and we all looked at him to see who he wanted.

 

“Rick and Becky your parents are here,” he said and the two of them stepped out of the cell.

 

“See you soon guys,” Becky said then she walked through the cell and kissed Matt before she left, “I’m sorry Charlie, we’ll leave your car for you.”

 

“It’s alright,” I said, “nothing you could’ve done about it.” The two of them left with McBride after that. A few minutes later he was back and wanted Brian. Brian gave us a quick wave then left. I was expecting Julie’s parents to show up first knowing her mother. Sara was the next one to leave, then about twenty minutes later Julie’s parents came. She begged McBride to make her mother wait out in the car, but she had to leave anyway. Through the open door we all heard a loud screech before the door closed.

 

“Well it’s just us three,” I said as we all sat down on the bench.

 

“Yeah, Dad and Mom probably couldn’t get away from work so I have a while still,” Matt said not sounding phased by the longer wait at all. He was a patient person that hardly ever showed signs of stress. Back at the condo was the first time really.

 

When McBride returned we all stayed seated when he opened the cell and I was hopeful that my Dad had a change of heart. He had time to get down here by now. I wasn’t looking forward to sitting here all night or being transferred somewhere else. This was just a holding place for people anyway. I also didn’t know how long I would have to stay either.

 

“Derek, your turn,” McBride said and Derek didn’t move.

 

“I’m stayin,” he said.

 

“Your fines have been paid, you have to leave,” he said and Derek still didn’t move.

 

“Just go Derek,” I said and he looked over at me.

 

“I said I wasn’t,” he countered being his stubborn self and I smiled.

 

“Son, it’s not smart to disobey an officer now come with me,” McBride said and Derek looked over at me.

 

“Just go,” I said, “don’t end up in jail and costing your family more money.”

 

“Fine,” he said, “I’ll come back down and see you in the morning.”

 

“Ok,” I said and then Derek stood and I thought he was going to kiss me, but then he looked over at McBride thinking better of it. He waved at Matt and was taken out of the room leaving Matt and I alone.

 

“You know Charlie,” Matt said after the door closed and it fell silent.

 

“What?” I asked looking at him. I had been staring at the door until then.

 

“You found a good one,” he said and I nodded agreeing.

 

“I did, didn’t I?” I said causing him to laugh.

 

“How did you meet him?” Matt asked and I told him about the hospital and then him talking to my mom the night before she died. I knew Matt was just trying to amuse me until his parents were here to pick him up, but at least it was nice. It was better than the both of us sitting here in silence just waiting for him to leave. It would have been difficult if we did.

 

“So do you think Rick will let the two of you get married?” I asked and Matt smirked.

 

“He better or I’ll kick his ass,” he said and I laughed. It was the first time Matt ever threatened to do that to someone.

 

“I’m sure he will,” I said, “he is the best man anyway.”

 

“Nah, he said he didn’t want to be,” he said, “I was gonna ask you this weekend, but I never had the chance.”

 

“I’ll be glad to be your best man,” I answered smiling, “if you let Derek come to the wedding.”

 

“What makes you think I’d not let him?” Matt asked and I shrugged, “so are you still going to Camdon?”

 

“Probably,” I said. I hadn’t given much thought about college. There was always something a lot more important, but I still had the rest of the summer for me to work that part out. When McBride came back in we fell silent and he opened the cell, probably for the last time tonight.

 

“Matt, you’re turn,” he said and Matt stood up.

 

“If you get out, the key is under the middle board of the deck just lift it up to get your things,” Matt explained before leaving me. I was alone then and I didn’t know what time it was. The door closed loudly again and I looked around tapping my thumb against my knee whistling. I was trying not to think about Dad or Cindy or anything really. There wasn’t any bed or cot in here and my lower back and ass was hurting from sitting on the bench so I stood and was stretching when the door opened again. McBride opened my cell and I was instantly anxious to hear what he had to say.

 

“I’ll give you two options Charlie,” McBride said sounding sorry about me. “Normally we just send folks to the local prison, we normally get drunk kids or people like that, but today was different so I want to give you the option of doing two days of community service.”

 

“I’ll do that,” I said not liking the idea of prison at all.

 

“I thought so,” he said stepping aside, “that means you can go back to the condo, but your friends cannot stop by and see you and you will be getting a knock on the door early tomorrow to start, don’t make me regret giving you a break.”

 

“I won’t believe me,” I said stepping out of the cell and walking with him to the door. He opened it and we both stepped through it and I was again in the back of a police car, but I was heading back to the condo. When I arrived I was let out of the car and I gave a short wave to the officer that drove me. I lifted the board and found the key then I walked inside to find that nothing had been moved. The air mattress was still in the middle of the floor as well as the couch cushions. The couch was still made out into the bed and the dirty glasses from this morning were still there. Matt’s car was gone though, no one had been inside. So I made myself busy by cleaning up the place so Matt wouldn’t have to come back when he was allowed. Then I found a washing machine and gathered up everyone’s dirty clothes and washed them so I could take them back with me. I looked in the fridge and saw that Becky packed a lot of food and it was going to go bad so I fixed me a small dinner and ate it out front. The clouds had broken through out the day so I could see the sun setting over the beach and the orange glow and the darkening water put me at ease for the first time in a long time.

 

The next two days were a mystery to me though. I haven’t ever been into trouble like this and I was in it alone. The only reason I was here right now was because of Cindy and Dad. That was something I would have to face when I get back home within the next two days.

 

When the sun was completely set I went back inside and I had a tough time getting to sleep. This was a strange place when alone. I could hear the surf and off in the distance some pounding music from some distant party. There wasn’t a television in the condo so I decided to grab a cover and try and sleep. Knowing that tomorrow would be a really long day.

Copyright © 2010 Krista; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 7
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I wish I could say I was surprise at Charlie’s dad yet I’m not. The guy made it clear life centered around him and he won’t pay a simple fine his son owes because he broke a law he didn’t know about when in reality he just doesn’t care rather than his claims of Charlie needing to learn a lesson. Charlie would have went to jail from an unknown amount of time if he wasn’t offered community service though I still think these officers are somewhat jerks themselves considering the circumstances.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

This fits the arc of the story title--good guys finish last.

What will Charlie do after community  service? His dad no longer cares about him even though Charlie would soon be out of his life in college in another location. Can Charlie pick up his life ?

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..