Jump to content
    Krista
  • Author
  • 3,537 Words
  • 6,110 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Good Guys Finish Last - 1. Chapter 1

“I can’t believe we finally graduated from this shit hole.” I chirped examining my diploma after the celebrations wound down and people were leaving the gym.

 

“Not a moment to soon either,” Julie added wrapping her arm around my shoulder. “Smile, last picture I promise.”

 

“It better be.” I smiled, then after the flash, I blinked my eyes annoyed that Julie had to take over a billion pictures. She was my best friend though ever since kindergarten when she threatened to kiss me in the sandbox during recess.

 

“So what are you doing after this?” I asked as her family walked up behind her.

 

“I’m going to that senior thing at the recreation center, you should come so I don’t have to go alone and listen to Sara and Mel’s not stop chattering about fashion and make-up.” Julie mocked and I started laughing.

 

“No, I promised my mom that I’d swing by and show her my diploma.” I turned her down and she frowned.

 

“You know if it were my mother I’d . . . ” Julie trailed off after arms wrapped around her.

 

“You’d better come see me is what you better do.” Julie’s mom Sharon said behind her.

 

“I was just getting to that mother.” Julie rolled her eyes then gave her mom a kiss on the cheek and then winked at me.

 

“How is your mother doing Charlie?” Sharon asked patting me on the shoulder.

 

“She’s doing a lot better today, she may even get to come home for a week if she keeps doing better.” I filled them in on my mother’s condition.

 

“Well that’s great honey.” Sharon answered and I nodded and excused myself so that I could drive up to see her. It was always a long drive to go see her. We lived in a small town right next to a large university that I was accepted to. I did have dreams before this all happened. It all happened too quickly for my liking. It caused me to adjust in this last year of high school. When my father, Rick and my mother divorced all of a sudden last year and my dad walking out on us with the better lawyers taking everything with him except for the house. I was already 18, so there was no reason for him to stick around since he lost all his love for my mother. He angered me after leaving us all alone like this. He didn’t know about my mother’s condition before the divorce and I doubt that he even knows now after he moved so far away and in with another woman already.

 

“Shit.” I groaned as I saw flashing in my rearview mirror.

 

“Hey son, how’s your night been?” The officer asked and I frowned. I didn’t know why they had to be so polite after they pulled you over knowing that they’re going to give you something that you’re not going to like.

 

“It’s been long.” I answered as I handed him my license and insurance card.

 

“Do you know how fast you were going?” He asked and I shook my head.

 

“Well slow it down from now on son.” He reprimanded and handed me a ticket along with my license and card. “Have a nice night.” He added and I rolled my eyes. Then I started back on the way to the hospital my mother was kept in. There wasn’t a lot of traffic in town tonight and I had to be the first person pulled over. I sighed heavily as I pulled into the parking garage of the hospital. I then made my way up to the room where she was kept, but the nurse and doctor that usually looked after her were coming out, as I was about to enter.

 

“Hey congratulations Charlie.” Dr. Wes congratulated me after he noticed who I was.

 

“Thanks. How is she doing tonight?” I asked it always makes me nervous when I ask about her like this.

 

“She’s really tired after her treatment today.” He answered and I frowned.

 

“Well is she still going to get to come home?” I interrogated forcing myself to look him in the eye when I spoke.

 

“You know what Charlie, I don’t think that’s going to be possible after all.” He answered after a short pause.

 

“But I thought . . . ” I started but trailed off when he frowned.

 

“She really is doing better though.” He attempted to sooth me, but I just wanted her to be able to come home soon.

 

“Can I go in to see her?” I wanted to stop this conversation.

 

“Sure, stay as long as you like. Gina will be around if you need her.” Dr. Wes answered and I glanced over at Gina and offered a polite smile before walking past them and into the room. My mom didn’t share a room with anyone even though it was made for two people. When I walked in, she had her eyes closed and I thought she was asleep so I sat down as quietly as I could in the chair beside her bed.

 

“Stand up and let me get a look at you.” She whispered opening her eyes batting them slowly. I stood and struck a pose trying to lighten my mood. I hated hospitals.

 

“You look very accomplished Charlie.” She offered and I smiled looking down at her. “You look so much like your father.” She added and I frowned briefly hoping she didn’t notice. She saw me though and she pushed the button to raise the bed so she could be in an elevated position.

 

“You need to relax mom.” I offered but she shook her head.

 

“You’re my son, let the doctor boss me around.” Mom made an attempt to joke, but I sighed.

 

“Here, look at my diploma.” I then handed it to her and she opened the cover and examined it with a smile on her face.

 

“You know, you’re not supposed to hate your father.” She announced catching me completely off guard.

 

“I know, but I have the right to.” I countered softly hating that I said it as soon as it escaped my mouth. Mothers, even at their worst state can still be completely annoying at how they make you think that you’re a loser or childish.

 

“You graduated with honors, good boy.” She complimented and I smiled, but I knew she hadn’t let our discussion about my father drop just yet.

 

“Did you listen to me and tell Duke that you were playing for them still?” She asked and I immediately diverted my eyes. “Charles Steven Williams, I told you not to give away your scholarship to that school.” She added in the weakest attempt at being stern I ever heard from her.

 

“Mom, please it was my decision not to go.” I countered looking down at my hands.

 

“Just because I’m . . . ” She started but I interrupted her.

 

“You’re not dying mom.” I huffed my eyes darting up to meet hers.

 

“You know you can’t deny it Charlie, not anymore.” She whispered and I fought back my tears. Doctor Wes thought he had caught the cancer quickly enough to save her, but as time passed with little improvement even after aggressive treatment they knew it was too late.

 

“I’m not leaving you like he did mom, I hate him for everything. I couldn’t play basketball anymore, not with you not there cheering me on or cussing me out when I did something stupid it’s never going to be the same,” I rationalized out loud no longer winning the fight to keep my emotions in check in front of my mother. I never wanted her to see me crying over her. It wasn’t that I was macho and wanted to show her that I was manly. I just didn’t want her to know that I had lost my hope.

 

“Come here and lay down beside me Charlie.” She waved her arm weakly over then patted the bed beside her after scooting to one side of it. I nodded and carefully got in the bed with her. I was still in my graduation gown and the dress clothes that I had on underneath. “I know all of this is hard.” She attempted to soothe me.

 

“Why are they carrying on this treatment?” I whispered as she rested her head on my shoulder.

 

“They’re stopping treatment.” She answered and I looked down at her. She had lost all her hair and lost a lot of weight during this whole ordeal. My mom was a fighter though it was just getting harder on her. Soon after that she fell asleep and I lied their listening to her breathing. I don’t know when I fell asleep, but when Gina woke me up I got out of bed with her help. Mom did wake up, but she turned around in the bed and I knew she needed her rest.

 

“I didn’t get a chance to congratulate you earlier.” Gina whispered and I smiled.

 

“Well thanks.” I whispered back then I grabbed my hat from the chair and I left the room. These visits with mom had become tough and I needed air so I walked down and outside. There was a park that was lit up at night with the trees decorated with white Christmas lights. I always walked around in that park trying to clear my head, but when my cell phone rang after I just turned it on, I jumped.

 

“Hello?” I asked not waiting for the caller I.D. to pop up.

 

“Uh, Charlie?” Came the voice of my father.

 

“What do you want?” I snapped sitting down on the low wall lining the park.

 

“I was calling to congratulate you on your accomplishments.” Dad answered carefully.

 

“Oh, so you don’t call for almost a year then you decide to call me now? I don’t need your congratulations Dad.” I groaned and it was silent on the other line for a little while and I rolled my eyes.

 

“Son, please . . . ” He begged, but I cut him off.

 

“Did you even know that mom was dying?” I asked out of the blue.

“Yes, she called and told me.” He answered and I was shocked.

 

“You haven’t been down to see her.” I snapped after regaining most of my nerve.

 

“I’ve been busy.” Dad made an excuse.

 

“Yes, busy doing stuff with that 20 something slut you left mom for.” I spat wanting to hang up on him, but didn’t. I wanted to hear what he had to say for himself.

 

“Her name is Angie and she’s 35 don’t call her a slut.” He corrected carefully.

 

“I don’t really care. All I know though is that you walked out on mom and me and that’s all that matters. You destroyed two lives just so you can get your rocks off. Have a nice life.” I snapped then I closed my phone turning it off and shoving it back into my pocket.

 

This wasn’t how graduation was supposed to go. I was supposed to be hugged and kissed by my mom and my dad was supposed to shake my hand welcoming me into manhood, but none of that happened. I wasn’t supposed to be thinking about when my mother’s funeral arrangements were supposed to be finalized. I was supposed to be thinking about how many times I could get drunk before they threatened to kick me out of college like normal guys my age. Not anything like the night I’ve had. I felt left behind by everyone as they fly off to Cancun or moving out of their homes and settling into their dorms. I did have one real friend out of all of this. Julie planned on rushing off to her dream college, but after my mother became ill, she sent her application to the same college I did. I tried to stop her, but she had already made up her mind and I knew I couldn’t sway her after that.

 

“What are you doing out here this late at night?” A voice asked from behind me and I jumped up from where I was sitting and turned to look at whoever it was.

 

“I’m getting some air.” I answered still freaked out by the sudden appearance of this guy.

 

“So am I. I bet you graduated tonight.” He added and I laughed a little.

 

“What gave you that idea?” I sarcastically asked and he laughed.

 

“I graduated last week.” He announced and I offered him a polite smile. “So why aren’t you drunk yet?” He asked and I shook my head.

 

“I was visiting someone and I haven’t forced myself to leave yet.” I answered. I felt that I hadn’t completely answered his question, but I didn’t want to be too personal with someone I just met.

 

“Well I just dropped off a friend that got a little too crazy.” He announced and I smirked a little.

 

“Is he going to be ok?” I asked amused.

 

“Oh yeah after they pump some fluids in him to counter the alcohol.” He answered and I sniggered.

 

“I’m here to see my mom actually. She couldn’t make it to my graduation so I wanted to show her what I looked like.” I felt that he told me his reason that I needed to come clean with mine.

 

“Well that’s nice, I bet she’ll like that.” He offered and I nodded. “I don’t want to be nosey, but why is your mom in there?” He added and I sat down and sighed.

 

“She’s in there because she has lung cancer.” I replied and he patted me on the shoulder; which caused me to jump slightly as I didn’t even know his name yet.

 

“Her name wouldn’t be Carol Williams would it?” He asked and I turned my head to look at him.

 

“Do I know you from somewhere?” I asked not knowing how he knew my mom’s name.

 

“No man, I just saw her name on the nurse’s patient board at the front desk and when you said lung cancer that was the only patient in that while hospital who has that.” He explained and I frowned. “She must be getting better, because underneath her name they had that her last treatment was today.” He continued, but hearing about her condition again I lost it and started crying.

 

“Excuse me.” I excused myself embarrassed that I just broke down in front of a complete stranger.

 

“I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have been so nosey.” He offered and I shook my head.

 

“It’s not that. Her last treatment wasn’t because she’s getting better. It’s because they can’t help her anymore.” I whispered wiping my eyes with my gown.

 

“Oh I’m sorry man.” He attempted to soothe me, but I didn’t want to be comforted by someone I didn’t even know. I then walked out of the park with him tailing behind me trying to get me to stop, but I didn’t want any part of it. I beat him to the elevators and then when they didn’t open fast enough I turned and ran up the flights of stairs skipping some of them to get me up to her room faster. I didn’t really know why I was running from him other than the fact that I was embarrassed that I cried in front of him. When I got to her room, I breathed a sigh of relief and walked in quietly to get my diploma. Mom was asleep so I turned off the lamp that was in her room and walked out after making sure I didn’t see the guy in the hallway. I then pushed for the elevator waving bye to Gina who was at her station. A little while later the elevator opened and I frowned to see the guy from the park standing inside it.

 

“I didn’t mean to pry or anything.” He started to explain as I entered the elevator.

 

“I’m sorry I ran away like a retarded kid too.” I offered and he smiled.

 

“My name is Derek.” He offered me his hand and I shook it.

 

“I’m Charlie.” I greeted and then let go of his hand and pushed the button for the parking garage floor.

 

“On your way out?” Derek asked and I nodded. “Then do you want to go somewhere and eat?” He asked and I looked at him.

 

“I was going to stop and get something to take home.” I answered thinking that he would take that as a no.

 

“Well now you can just sit and eat with me then.” Derek stated evenly and I turned to look at him.

 

“I need to be getting home.” I countered and he frowned.

 

“Come on, I’ll buy and everything. I’m not from around here so I don’t want to eat alone.” Derek pleaded and I smiled.

 

“Oh, ok then follow me in your car then.” I caved in knowing what it felt like to eat alone and not liking it. Then the elevator door opened and I walked to the ramp that my car was parked on as he did too. I was parked higher up than he was as I came at peak visitation hours and all of the lower levels were full. When I drove down the ramps I looked around for him finding him on the first level I honked my horn and he started his car to follow me. We then met up at the only fast-food place that stayed up this late and walked in together. After ordering and sitting down to eat I caught him staring at me a couple of times, but I never asked him why he was. Then after we were through I got up to leave, but he stopped me.

 

“Can we talk, just for a few minutes?” Derek asked and I sat back down.

 

“Sure.” I glanced down at my watch seeing that it was almost one in the morning.

 

“Have you applied to college?” Derek asked after a short pause.

 

“Yes, I’m going to Camdon State University.” I answered and his jaw dropped.

 

“That’s where I’m going too.” He spat excitedly.

“It’s the sorriest University in the state why would you come down to go here?” I asked curiously after remembering that he wasn’t from around here.

 

“Because it’s also the only one to offer me a full ride.” He explained and I nodded.

 

“Oh, well my friend Julie is going too.” I added and he smiled.

 

“What is your full name, you look familiar to me?” Derek asked suddenly.

 

“Charles Williams.” I answered and he looked thoughtful for a little while then he blinked slightly.

 

“You were on ESPN recently, weren’t you?” He asked and I rolled my eyes.

 

“If you count a picture that they showed for five seconds then yeah I was.” I was amused by how perceptive he was.

 

“You’re supposed to be going to Duke to play.” Derek stated carefully and then there was a short uncomfortable pause in the conversation. I could tell that he was curious as to why I chose not to go, but he also didn’t want to pry into my personal life like he had earlier.

 

“I turned them down because I wanted to be here for my mom.” I finally broke down and told me.

 

“That’s understandable.” Derek offered.

 

“My mom doesn’t think so.” I announced and he smiled.

 

“Um sorry to interrupt, but we are closing,” a waitress announced as she walked up to our table. We were the only ones left in the restaurant so we stood and left.

 

“Well it’s late so I need to be getting home I have stuff to do tomorrow.” I announced and he nodded.

 

“I need to go check up on my friend anyway.” Derek gave me his own reason as to why we should end the conversation and part ways, but for some reason we stood there looking at one another for a short while until the outside lights of the restaurant was turned off and it snapped us back to reality.

 

“Here’s my phone number.” I offered and I pulled a pen out of my pocket and wrote it on the back of his hand. I gave him my home phone as well as my cell and he smiled and looked at it.

 

“Well if we don’t see one another before school starts then I’ll see you there.” Derek yelled as I got into my car and I waved at him before we left to our destinations. It was nice talking to someone at times like these. My mom is always on my mind no matter what I do, but Derek kept me from completely breaking down like I normally did after visiting her and seeing her looking so bad. I had to work in a few hours and groaned as I looked at the brightly illuminated clock on the dash. I was the primary income for my mom and me now that my dad was out of the picture. Dad got out of that part of the divorce being a lawyer himself. My mom had been a stay at home mom ever since I was born and that left us financially unstable. I barely made enough to pay all the bills and I had no way of paying for college this fall so I was lucky to get a scholarship after turning down their coach when he practically begged me to play for them for the next four seasons. Instead of driving home I went straight to the office I worked at hoping that I could get off early since I would be going in a few hours early.

Copyright © 2010 Krista; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 12
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Is it my sicko mind that Charlies dad phones after a year coincided with meeting a boy that knows way to much about Charlie a for first time acquaintance that doesn't even live around Charlie. yeah I know one prolly has nothing to do with another but something stinks with that first meeting lol. But we will see

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..