Jump to content
    Laura S. Fox
  • Author
  • 5,605 Words
  • 6,617 Views
  • 51 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Box Shaped Heart - 34. Mints, Anyone?

So sorry, guys, for being late. Got detained on family business, and just got to my computer. I know you've been waiting for this, so here it is!

Chapter Thirty-Four – Mints, Anyone?

So what the hell was he going to do now? Had Aron called and he missed it or something? He checked his phone. No calls. Okay, he needed to see Aron.

Wait, he needed to take a shower first. They were seriously going to have sex. If what the girl had said was true ...

Of course it’s true. Now we remember everything.

I’m so amazed how quickly you take credit. You said you had nothing but blank space in that part.

But now we know.

Yes, he knew. The news was everywhere now. The entertainment channel clearly had a slow day, and it was just repeating it every half an hour. Although he needed to take that shower, he chose to sit on the couch and watch the news again.

The ponytail girl seemed undaunted by the cameras and microphones pushed in front of her.

“Yeah, I do have the video,” she said. “But the police need to take a look at it first. It’s pretty dope,” she added with conviction.

“So did you catch everything on your smartphone?” one of the reporters asked.

The girl nodded and smiled, seemingly quite pleased with herself.

“Can you tell us everything, from the top?”

This time, the girl looked at the police officer to her right, and the man nodded shortly.

“Well, I was, like, walking to catch the bus, and all of a sudden, I see Alex Ruskin,” she started, her eyes all shiny now.

Of course, the guy was gay, but chicks still digged him. Who was he kidding? Every gal and guy, gay or straight, digged the fucker. Ah, well, Carter shrugged and continued to watch.

“So I take out my phone, and I start recording, but, you know, so that he doesn’t see me or anything,” the girl said. “He’s looking behind him for like a couple of seconds, I don’t know why, and then he just turns and stares ahead, chin up high, and looking fabulous.”

“Did he notice you?” another reported asked.

“No, he was just looking ahead and he started crossing the street. Frankly, I didn’t notice the fire truck, either. I guess I was too taken with Alex,” the girl half-giggled. “He’s just so cool,” she added dreamily.

“What happened next?” someone interrupted the girl’s wide-eyed dream.

“Well, I hear someone yelling, and I think like, what the heck, and there’s this guy coming from behind, and bang! He practically pushes Alex away from the front of the freaking truck!” the girl said, now clearly excited. “And I’m like in total shock and Alex is basically rolling on the ground, but he doesn’t look that badly hurt, and bang again! The fire truck practically hits this other guy full frontal, like I can still hear that sound! It was horrible!”

“So why didn’t you help them or stay to call an ambulance, and tell the police what happened?”

The girl stole a look to her right again, and this time some of her excitement vanished. The police officer was frowning, but again, he nodded.

“Well, I saw the fire truck driver getting down and hurrying toward the victims, and I said to myself, what the heck, he’s more qualified than me, anyway, and also it was like, his fault. And I had to catch the bus, because otherwise, I wasn’t going to catch the plane, and then …”

“But the police tweeted about the accident, didn’t you see anything?”

“What can I tell you, man? I was off-grid, I was with a group of friends, we all decided to live like Mother Nature intended, for the whole summer, you know, no electricity, no nothing. I had to, like, take half of the house with me,” the girl said again. “As soon as someone came looking for me, I was all down with saying everything I knew.”

The police officer finally grabbed the microphone, and the girl took a step back.

“I want to tell all the young people who are watching this how important it is to take the right type of action when something like this happens,” the man began.

Carter tuned out the police officer’s lecture that followed. It was still un-freaking-believable, but now he did remember everything. He sighed in contentment. Okay, he hadn’t pushed that obnoxious scumbag in front of the fire truck. Actually, he had saved the asshole’s life.

And he knew very well why. Yeah, he needed that shower, and maybe he had to comb his hair, too. Making himself pretty and all that, ready to see Aron.

He was barely out of the shower, and his hair was practically sticking in all directions, after rubbing it with the towel, when he heard keys turning in the door lock. Ah, Aron was here already and probably didn’t want to wake him up so he was using his keys. He hurried for the door and grabbed the handle, barely reigning in his excitement.

“Hey,” he said with a smile, opening the door wide.

His smile quickly vanished, though, as Aron pushed him inside, making him take hurried steps back until he hit a wall. Aron looked damn serious. And he was looking into Carter’s eyes, like he wanted to extract some truth out of them.

“Can you please tell me what the hell is this?” Aron asked, using one hand to keep Carter glued to the wall, and the other to bring forward his phone.

Just for a second, he freed his victim to press play on the video displayed on his phone. Carter watched in horrid fascination. The angle was not the best, and it was clear that the one who had taken it was more bothered with catching Alex on camera, but it was all there. So Aron had the video, unlike the scumbags at the entertainment channel. That meant that the operation private eye had been a major success.

“So the detective found the girl?” he asked. “Great guy, that guy. I mean, I know. I saw it on the news.”

“Shut up,” Aron growled, and almost pressed his phone against Carter’s nose.

“Well, that’s the accident,” Carter said matter-of-factly. “I do remember everything now. Isn’t it really strange?”

“Carter,” Aron breathed out, “listen.”

Aron brought the volume to the maximum and replayed the video.

Oh, great, now he could hear himself yelling something like ‘I just want Aron to be happy!’ while pushing Alex away from the fire truck. Okay, that was pretty awkward if he were to think about it.

“Well,” he frowned and started scratching his head.

“Hmm,” Aron interjected, after tossing his phone on the couch without even looking if it landed safely. “What do you have to say for yourself?”

Okay, so Aron was mad. Why was he mad?

Why is he mad?

How the hell should I know? It must be that you did something stupid.

Well, it wasn’t like I had that much of a choice. If Alex had died, Aron would have been very unhappy.

Aron almost shook him.

“Carter, please, stop losing yourself in your head for a second and tell me, okay? You jumped in front of a freaking car!”

“Fire truck,” Carter raised one finger.

Aron groaned and this time really shook him.

Sensing the distress in the small apartment, Taz got up from his place and started barking at the intruder.

“Don’t worry, Taz,” Aron spoke to the dog, easing his grip on Carter for a fraction, “I’m not going to kick your dad’s ass. Not yet at least.”

Okay, he needed to choose his next words carefully. But he was kind of blank.

“Why are you so mad?” he eventually asked.

Aron looked at him, and there was a mix of wonder, affection, but also some very entitled rage in the man’s eyes that Carter had no idea what to make of.

“You jumped in front of a fire truck,” Aron spoke, this time a little appeased. “To save my husband’s life. Without caring how I would have felt if you had died.”

Carter opened his mouth, and then he closed it.

“That’s quite the dilemma,” he murmured.

Taz stood on his back legs and set his front paws on Aron’s leg, looking up. He wasn’t barking anymore, but wagging his tail.

“What a traitor,” he looked at his dog.

“So can you tell me what were you thinking?” Aron asked, and now there was a small smile tugging at the corners of his mouth.

“Hmm, the fire truck was moving at a velocity of, I don’t know, 60-70 miles? And I thought that I had enough time to …”

Aron sighed, interrupting him.

“Allow me to do it. Let me make this easy for you.”

The grip on his shoulders eased, and Aron cupped his face, caressing it slowly with the thumbs.

“You love me,” Aron said with conviction.

Carter could feel his heart growing smaller with Aron’s simple statement.

“I do?” he whispered.

Aron nodded slowly.

“It’s okay. I know how things are with you. I should have been the one to talk about it, to make it clear. I shouldn’t have been the coward I was. It’s okay if you won’t say it,” Aron said, as he continued to caress Carter’s cheeks. “I should know better, that words like this don’t come easy to you.”

No, it wasn’t okay. Carter caught Aron’s hands into his, pushing them down. And then the words started tumbling like sweets from a jar.

“No, it’s not okay. I do love you. Because I do, okay? And no, I didn’t think of the velocity of the fire truck, although I could. I mean, I did. But only a little. I had like a flash, a vision, or whatever, I don’t know how that’s called. Of you, all dressed in black, crying at a funeral. And I just couldn’t stand it, okay? And maybe I can’t stand Alex because he stole you from me, but I didn’t want you hurt. So I just … you know, I found myself there, in the middle of the street, pushing him away. And I understand why you couldn’t say it because I know myself. And it’s true that I have all these boxes that I use to compartmentalize everything. And you, you, you …” he struggled, trying to find his words.

“I was a box?” Aron tried to help him.

“No,” he protested, feeling frustration growing at no other but himself. “You’re not a box, you’ve never been. You were … are everywhere … inside me. But I have all these boxes, like you said. And this, what I feel for you, it didn’t fit anywhere, you know? Although I thought it had to.”

“So love is a box?” Aron was smiling now, and his eyes were filled with fondness.

“No!” Carter exclaimed again. “I am … no, my heart is like a box,” he let go of Aron’s hands to gesture with his arms, and try to make a solid square with them.

Aron was now chuckling softly.

“Okay. So I’m finally welcome into your box shaped heart?” he asked, pulling Carter to him.

“How could you be? You’ve been there since forever. And never left,” Carter said, with all the seriousness he could muster now, as he began to melt in the other’s arms.

The kiss that followed wasn’t like the usual, or at least, he felt like it was different. Because he felt like he was getting really swept off his feet, although he clearly knew for a fact that his feet were on the ground, and there was no way those people in those romance movies or books or whatever, could have been so accurate describing something as impalpable as this.

Taz barked, but now it was his happy bark. Carter knew it. Well, the kid probably felt left out. Aron let him go, albeit reluctantly. He was the one to look at the dog and talk to him first.

“Taz, you should get ready, kiddo. Because I’m here to take you both home with me.”

“So what are we now?” Carter felt the need to check.

Aron smiled.

“Well, what do you think?” he asked.

“We’ve been best friends, fuck buddies, roomies …” Carter counted on his fingers. “What’s next?”

“Let’s start with the obvious,” Aron spoke. “We are, well, you are a straight guy who got flipped by his gay best friend, and I’m the flipper!”

Aron was so pulling his leg right now.

“Flipper, huh? I had no idea you had a sense of humor,” Carter pretended to frown, but he began to grin, too.

“I don’t. I’m just saying it like it is,” Aron drawled the words, while pulling Carter close for another kiss.

“So, are we going to get married?” Carter asked when Aron finally allowed him to breathe.

Aron feigned seriousness.

“I think I’m done with marriage for a while. I’m all for a trial period,” he joked.

Carter punched the guy’s shoulder. This was friggin’ serious.

“Asshole. I’m not at all for a trial period,” he protested.

“Oh, so you want to get married,” Aron teased. “You’re so gay now that you want a gay wedding?”

“Why shouldn’t I want a gay wedding? I want a gay cake, too!”

“A gay cake? Do you really believe there’s such a thing? How does a gay cake look like?” Aron questioned him.

“I have no idea. We should google it,” Carter shrugged.

Aron was really laughing now.

“I still need to go through a divorce first,” he pointed out. “It might get nasty. And expensive.”

“Fine, I’ll buy the rings,” Carter rolled his eyes. “And a gay cake.”

“Rings, huh?” Aron bit his lips, to stop himself from laughing. “I had no idea you would be a stickler for tradition.”

“I’m down with everything if it’s about you,” Carter replied, glaring a little. “Hey, did you say you love me? Because I don’t think …”

Aron pressed their bodies together once more.

“I must have been too busy kicking myself over not saying it that I forgot. I love you. Is this fine?”

“Hmm, not very romantic,” Carter feigned complaint.

“Well, we have all the time in the world to get it right,” Aron smiled.

Carter smiled back, feeling all giddy inside.

“Don’t worry. I’m just joking. But seriously, what would you have done if I had never said it? Or if the eyewitness couldn’t be found and all that?”

“Ah, I would have bribed Alex in the end and divorced him anyway. And I would have taken you very, very slowly, not to scare you,” Aron began explaining. “I had an entire plan in motion. First step was, as you know it, to have you move in with me. Then I would have made everything possible for you never to want to leave me. And, at our 20th anniversary, when we were going to throw a party, and there were going to be a lot of people coming over, and you were going to ask ‘what’s the occasion?’ I would have told you: well, we’ve spent the last 20 years together, and so we are going to spend the next 20, and the next 20 …”

“Oh, I cannot believe you!” Carter pretended to be scandalized. “So you were going to be really sneaky about it! I bet you would have gotten the kids to help, too, for this plan of yours!”

“The kids, huh?” Aron glared, but then immediately burst into laughter. “Ah, damn, how could I be so damn stupid and blind?”

“If it’s any consolation, I’m the stupider one,” Carter said with a sigh. “I should have told you what I felt instead of insulting your husband at the wedding. I didn’t realize that, you know. Although it would have been too late, right?”

Aron made their foreheads touch.

“You could never be too late. I’m glad that we’re together now, and that’s all that matters. Now, hurry. Pack only the essentials. I can barely wait to show you the new house.”

“All right,” Carter replied gleefully. “Should I get the plates?”

“Forget about them. We’ll come later to get them. Just grab your laptop, Taz, and yourself.”

“You can’t be serious. Do you have a dog bed? I bet you don’t.”

“I already have a dog bed. And shiny new toys. And a yard Taz will love,” Aron replied promptly.

“Still, I need my toothbrush, and some clothes …” Carter tried to argue with his best friend, now soon or not so soon to be husband, depending on the divorce and all that.

“I have everything you might possibly need, trust me,” Aron replied. “But, okay, grab a few things that you feel you don’t want to live even one day without, and let’s go.”

Okay, he had enough motivation to pack quickly. A few clothes, the laptop, and his toothbrush had to do for now. He returned to the small living room, only to find Aron reading some piece of paper with a deep thoughtful frown on his face.

“What are you doing?” he asked.

Aron threw him a curt look, and started reading.

“Things to learn and do to make Aron happy for the next 15 years.”

“Oh, fuck,” Carter mumbled and hurried to snatch the paper from Aron’s hand.

Without too much effort, Aron dodged him and stopped him with one hand, keeping him at arm’s length. He continued to read.

“Cooking. Anything but lasagna. There is no way I can top the kind Aron’s making. Learning French. Waxing my ass?” Aron looked at him questioningly, and now he was laughing for real. “Why would you do that? Oh, and you even put a small dot here, and wrote ‘this will hurt like a bitch’. But why 15 years? Were you planning to stop making me happy after 15 years?”

“No, that was the time limit for asking you to marry me,” Carter answered promptly.

“Oh, damn, why?” Aron asked, barely keeping in a bout of laughter.

“Because you loved me for 15 years before, so I had to compensate.”

“Of course you had,” Aron shook his head, like he could not believe all that. “Well, we won’t need this list,” he decided, and finally letting Carter, he made a small ball out of the piece of paper.

“Hey,” Carter protested, trying to reach his hard work. “It took me hours to put that together!”

“Well, you won’t wax your ass,” Aron said promptly, throwing the crumpled paper over one shoulder and grabbing Carter to embrace him tightly. “And I don’t trust you in the kitchen alone.”

“Ouch, that hurt,” Carter said, placing one hand over his heart.

“Let me finish,” Aron interrupted him. “And you don’t have to learn French for my sake. See, I’m just making things easier for you.”

“But what if I let myself go?” Carter complained.

“You’ve already asked me to marry you, and I said ‘yes’. I’d say that you can let yourself go a little. Not much,” he joked. “But still, learning French?”

“What if we travel to France and we don’t have a guide?” Carter started.

“France has many tourist oriented places. I doubt we really need to speak French to visit.”

“But what if we land in some place where no one speaks English?” Carter insisted. “And we end up like in those movies, you know, horror movies, where you get judged for not knowing the local laws, and they throw us in jail or something?”

Aron started laughing again.

“Okay, learn French, if you’re so bent on this. Wait, do you want us to go there?”

“No, not in particular,” Carter shrugged.

“Good, because first I want to keep you close for a while, without that many people around us.”

“Hmm, and you won’t get bored? Just with me around?” Carter wondered out loud.

“I don’t think so,” Aron hugged him and made their lips touch again.

When Aron let him go, minutes later, Carter didn’t need any additional explanations. So what was that he needed to pack? Ah, only his laptop and Taz. And Aron had already moved to the door, with Taz on the leash.

Seeing his best friend at the door, smiling a million-dollar smile, seemed like something out of a fairytale. But he was certain it was real. He was damn certain it was all real.

***

“Hi,” Alex spoke curtly as he practically blocked the way as Carter was trying to reach his car.

He wasn’t exactly expecting that to happen, but moved the bag of groceries from one arm to the other, while waiting for Alex to speak whatever the guy had on his mind. Aron was at work, and he was doing the necessary shopping. His hopefully soon to be husband had made a comprehensive list and he was pretty certain he had followed it to the letter. Somewhat.

“I think I should say ‘thank you’,” Alex began, his voice a bit hesitant, but honest, as far as Carter could tell.

“You’re welcome, I suppose,” Carter replied. “Although I didn’t do it for you,” he hurried to say.

Well, that sounded bad.

“Sorry,” he added.

Alex smiled, but his lips remained pursed, like he had just licked at least half a lemon.

“People say you’re a hero,” Alex said.

“Yeah, they exaggerate,” Carter replied. “Because I’m not sure I would have ... You know.”

“Yeah, probably no one would,” Alex said with a sigh.

Carter knew he had to be on his toes around this guy. But Alex didn’t seem to be his usual diva self. If anything, he sounded genuine. Also, a tiny bit sad.

Are you feeling for the guy now?

A little. I mean, he could have been dead. That changes a person.

I’d say you should be careful, that’s all.

“I thought I was remembering everything about the accident. But, oddly enough, until that girl came up and spoke, I wasn’t. Not everything,” Alex explained. “I had no recollection of you saying that, you know, before seeing the video. About how you wanted Aron to be happy. It must be nice,” he said, his beautiful green eyes darting to one side.

“What?” Carter asked.

“You know. To feel for someone like that. To have someone feel for you like that.”

Ah, that. All right, this was awkward. He had no idea what to say to the guy.

“You’ll find someone,” he said, remembering some of the things he had seen in a movie where some girl was trying to console one of her friends who tended to be awfully and unexplainably unlucky in love.

Alex smiled.

“You’re just saying that,” he said, but his eyes shone a little brighter.

“I suppose,” Carter sighed. “I don’t really know what to tell you. I just thought that would make you feel a little better.”

“I think I understand now what Aron sees in you,” Alex measured him through his eyelashes, his head a little thrown back. “You’re a funny guy. And choked full with good intentions.”

“Thanks, I guess,” Carter mumbled.

The grocery bag was getting heavy in his arms. Taz was getting restless, too.

“Anyway, I’ll sign the papers and I promise the divorce won’t be a problem,” Alex spoke.

“Ah, that’s nice.”

“But I’m keeping the car,” Alex’s eyes thinned.

“Keep the frigging car,” Carter shrugged. “Aron would never take a gift back. And driving that kind of car is overrated, anyway.”

“How do you know?” Alex snorted.

“I watched a documentary. A Veyron is still better,” Carter said promptly.

To his surprise, Alex didn’t get mad at hearing his precious vehicle getting insulted so directly. Instead, he laughed.

“Just like I said. You’re funny. All right. So I suppose my karma gets a bit of its rightful balance back now that you and Aron have my blessing to get hitched,” Alex spoke, but that last part seemed addressed mostly to himself.

Alex didn’t seem to remember the body swap. Yet, he seemed a little changed. Maybe the whole thing did change him, at least to some degree.

“Well, I suppose this is it,” Alex put on his sunglasses and threw Carter the kind of smile that was making him a star. “I would say to give my best to Aron, but frankly, I think he doesn’t care about that.”

“I’ll tell him, anyway,” Carter replied.

Alex squared his shoulders and waved goodbye as he started walking toward his car. For a while, Carter just stood there and watched the guy climbing behind the wheel. Funny, the guy was slightly turned to one side and seemed to talk to someone next to him.

Someone who did not seem to be there.

Ah, probably the guy was just using his hands free and was talking on the phone.

***

“Would you go a little outside and look for the moving truck?” Aron stole a small kiss from him, as he held his hands away from his body, like a surgeon.

“Sure thing,” Carter replied with a kiss of his own.

Aron was cooking, and his hands were covered in flour. He could barely wait. Aron had said it was going to be a surprise. And this time, he hadn’t bought the ingredients so he had no idea what the treat was going to be. No problem. He was ready to be surprised.

Only his things had to arrive. Although Aron had had the house completely furnished, he had agreed that a few things could be transferred from Carter’s place, if not for another reason than that they both decided that it would make their home a little more Carter oriented. Aron was all for equality. Carter didn’t care that much. He loved Aron’s taste in curtains and everything. Although he had put some effort into choosing those plates. He only hoped the moving guys were not going to turn them into more pieces than they were.

He rushed into the street. There was no sign of the van. He was about to go back into the house when he noticed someone waving at him from the other side. Could it be …?

Mark was gesturing for him to cross the street and he was smiling widely.

“Hey,” he said, and eyed his not exactly guardian angel with a bit of unease.

“Relax, Carter,” Mark patted him on the shoulder, the moment they were on the same side of the street. “I just came to say goodbye, this time for real. I’m glad to see that you remember the accident now.”

“I do,” Carter said slowly. “Wait, now that I remember … oh, no, are you here to take Aron away from me?”

Mark laughed.

“Carter, you earned your happiness. And could anyone really take Aron away from you? Ever?”

“Ah, cool,” he relaxed. “So, any funky business from pesky humans you need to take care of? Or you’re ready to go …” Carter gestured with his hands as if he was expecting Mark to stretch a pair of wings suddenly and soar into the sky.

“I’m actually done here for the moment and that makes me really happy. Maybe I’ll even take a holiday,” Mark said with mirth. “Although I must say you really did scare me. As I told you, you gave me quite the fright. Do you know now what your most ardent wish was? Still is?”

“Yeah,” Carter smiled widely. “For Aron to be happy.”

“That was quite an important point in the case I made for you,” Mark said, nodding gravely.

“Up there, you mean?” Carter pointed at the clear sky above.

Mark nodded again.

“Can you imagine? I was just having my tea when your name started rolling on the list of the people ready to be taken over the river,” Mark spoke, his eyes a bit unfocused.

“Over the river? Like Styx?” Carter asked.

“It is incredible how spot on some aspects from humankind’s religions are,” Mark said. “Of course, it is not a river like others.”

“I guess,” Carter murmured, dumbfounded with the revelations Mark was so leisurely sharing with him.

Probably it was no vital information, and the not exactly guardian angel could talk about it with a mere human.

“I ran downstairs right away and pleaded with the guy responsible with wiping the names to put your case up for hearing. The fact that you yelled from the top of your lungs that you wanted Aron to be happy really helped. It was just the stuff I needed to point out that there would be no ground for your name to be wiped so prematurely. Since your demise would have just made Aron unhappy, thus making your wish impossible.”

“Wow, so you were like my lawyer?” Carter wondered. “Glad you won.”

“I’m glad, too,” Mark chuckled.

“Can I ask you something?” Carter said.

Mark nodded, with the same big smile on his good-natured face.

“Will, you know, Alex be okay?”

Mark’s eyes filled with fondness.

“Yes, I guess he will be all right. Nice of you to ask about him. Would you like a mint?” Mark changed the subject.

Carter looked at the open metal box offered and picked one.

“Does my breath stink?” he asked, and attempted to exhale into his palm to test that.

Mark laughed.

“No. But I couldn’t find any blue and red pills. Plus, I like mints.”

“I like them, too,” Carter said and popped one into his mouth.

Hmm, it was a really good mint. Not so minty, and a little sweet? He wondered as he savored the taste.

“Where did you get these?” he asked and turned toward Mark.

Only to discover that the guy had simply disappeared.

Well, it was a bit sudden, but probably the guy was busy with who knew what other situation. It was not like he could keep a guardian angel all to himself.

Plus, he had Aron. So, all in all, it was a pretty good deal Mark had cut for him. Carefully watching for cars, he crossed the road, and walked back into the house. A pleasant smell wafted to his nostrils. Hmm, cookies?

“So, still no sign of them?” Aron called from the kitchen.

“What?” Carter asked, shaking his head.

Aron looked at him, a bit surprised.

“The moving truck. Did you make a round of the neighborhood? What do you think about it?”

“Ah, no, not exactly,” Carter replied, a feeling of confusion tickling his brain like the soft feathers of a flock of birds.

“You were out for more than half an hour. Ah, you went to that small store at the end of the street?” Aron moved closer and sniffed him. “I grabbed some mints the other day from there. They don’t make them like they used to, but these guys still know their stuff.”

Ah, Carter clucked his tongue. Yeah, he had been to the store. And the mints were great, too.

“Want some?” he reached into his pocket and took out a metal mint box.

Aron smiled and took one.

“Yeah,” Aron confirmed. “They’re really good. Hey, is everything okay with you? You seem a little off.”

Carter stared into Aron’s eyes and smiled.

“Worried about me?” he laughed.

Aron put his hands on Carter’s shoulders and squeezed them tightly.

“Well, you do have the bad habit of running into the street, right in front of moving cars,” he joked. “I might have to get a leash. For you, not for Taz.”

“Ah, I’m pretty sure I’m not going to do that again,” Carter snickered. “Losing weeks of my life, just lying in a hospital bed, in a coma, is not exactly among my priorities. I might feel a little confused over that lost time, I think.”

“Do you feel any dizziness? Or headaches?” Aron asked, looking at him like he was ready to whisk him to the hospital that very moment.

“Nah, nothing like that. Although,” Carter said slowly, “I just feel like I had the most amazing dream, and I cannot remember much of it. Ah, damn it, it’s like on the tip of my … brain.”

“Your brain has a tip?” Aron chuckled.

“You have no idea,” Carter laughed, too. “And he’s a scumbag, too. I don’t particularly like talking to him.”

“You don’t have to talk to him anymore,” Aron brought him closer to embrace him. “I’m here, and you can talk to me anytime.”

“And damn I’m glad for that,” Carter laughed. “Although I’ll still talk to him. Just when you’re not around. And not because I’m lonely. Because I’m not. Not anymore.”

Aron kissed him sweetly.

“Hmm,” Carter purred in delight. “So what did you make?” he pulled at Aron’s collar to hold his soon to be husband accountable for the delicious smells coming from the kitchen.

“Let me get you a madeleine,” Aron said. “It will make you feel good.”

“A madeleine? There’s nothing you can’t cook, right?” Carter commented, but he let himself dragged along, without putting up any resistance.

Aron didn’t reply to that and just pushed him to sit at the table on which a plate loaded with the small French cakes. He took one and groaned in pure delight the moment the taste hit his buds.

“Would you like some tea, too?” Aron turned, holding a steaming pot.

Carter nodded enthusiastically. He was already feeling better. And memories of a strange dream involving something weird, like him living for a while in Aron’s ex-husband’s body, slipped from his mind as they had never been there.

Aron was his. Forever.

Next time, the epilogue! And I will wrap up this story, so I must thank you, a thousand times and more, for being here for me, for reacting to the story, for commenting and all that! I got stuck on repeat listening to REO Speedwagon's 'Can't Stop This Feeling Anymore' while writing this, so it's time for me to bring this ship into the shore, lol.

I hope you liked the conclusion of the story, and that all is clear now. If you noticed Proust's madeleine in the text, it was just a red herring, I promise. It was all Mark's fault and his mints did it!

I also hope you're not disappointed about Carter forgetting about the body swap. Just as Alice in the fantastic story that sparked my imagination to write this, Carter forgets about his adventures in Wonderland, but he does grow up, and that's the most important thing.

To avoid making this longer than it should, I now take a bow, and see you next time!

(for a glimpse in a very happy future involving Carter and Aron)

All the love,
Laura.

PS - I can't wait to read all your reactions!
Copyright © 2018 Laura S. Fox; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 15
  • Love 48
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



10 minutes ago, mikeinatl said:

Such a great chapter and seeing the final clues fall into place. One of my favorite stories ever! Thank you, Laura! ❤️

 

Thank you for reading and commenting! I'm glad the ending was to your liking!

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
29 minutes ago, Wesley8890 said:

You can't end it! You just cant! Is you next story about boxers by any chance?😈

Boxers??  

I know you publish on other sites, (I read a HOT story from you on Nifty a few months ago)

Where is it?! What is it?! 😳 🥺

  • Love 3
Link to comment
7 minutes ago, FanLit said:

Oh. :heart: :heart:  

If I had ever read or seen “Alice in Wonderland”, I might have suspected this ending with Carter forgetting the body swap (would you like a mint?) but I’m glad it was a surprise;  A bittersweet surprise but understood, as everything used to help us grow doesn’t stay, it serves its purpose and life goes on.

I am curious who Alex was talking to when he got back into his car....did his guardian angel come back from witness protection?  I kinda feel that entity is what made Alex do the right thing in the end.

This story was so interesting in what it revealed about what lies beneath: Alex for example- he is considered selfish and superficial, yes, but no one truly knows the black heart that exists in and motivates him and he can easily do what he does because his “beauty” is an effective mask.

 There are many “Alex’s” among us but there are many “Carters”, too, so the battle of good vs. evil continues on.

The ponytail girl, while providing much needed information, still made me sad in her all to common “film but don’t get involved” mindset.  What a voyeuristic society we’ve become.  

This was definitely one of the most interesting stories I’ve ever read, Goldie.  I think you are one of less than a handful of authors for me that possess the ability to make me read any genre, simply because you’re the author.

 You tell amazing stories, write hot sex and great characters;  Thank you for sharing your gift, Laura.

I sadly look forward to the epilogue next week.

 

Oh, dear godmom, I feel your sadness, and I thought it would feel like that, in a way. But after much deliberation with myself, I thought not to burden Carter with the knowledge of angels and all that :) He has, after all, the power to stand on his own and admit his love for Aron now. 

 

He, he, you noticed that about Alex. Yes, that's the correct answer :) Someone needed to give that man a good lecture. Believe me; he got it. 

 

As for the ponytail girl and her involvement in the story, it was only after I read an outraged article on people taking selfies at car crashes while paramedics try to save people's lives that I took this decision on her. It's chilling to think some people can be so disconnected from the rest of all humans to do that, but I realized that it would work for my story and it would not be considered hard to believe that someone would react like that in this day and age. It's sad, indeed, and that hardly covers it, how more in touch people are with their phones than with the humans amongst which they walk. I'm not from this phone obsessed generation, I can barely remember where I put mine most of the time, but I must admit that my mom didn't understand why I stood glued to the computer, either. (Until she learned to play Free Cell, lol. Then I had to find ways to get her away from the computer, he, he)

 

Thank you so much for all the support you've given me throughout the story. It really means so much to know that I'm so appreciated. 

 

I hope that the epilogue will leave you with a big smile on your face, though!

 

All the love,

Laura.

  • Love 2
Link to comment
20 minutes ago, FanLit said:

Boxers??  

I know you publish on other sites, (I read a HOT story from you on Nifty a few months ago)

Where is it?! What is it?! 😳 🥺

 

I just noticed this second comment. The story is called Fist to the Heart, and I'm afraid it's more or less 80% sex (it's basically erotica in the purest form, lol). I just got the first chapter out there, for now, and it's basically about a fighter and a beautiful guy who wants to book him to provide entertainment in his papa's ring. 

 

What story do you refer to about having read it? Pretty Perfect or A Good Servant?

Edited by Laura S. Fox
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Aww, beautiful! That was a lovely ending. Looking forward to the epilogue! Will there be smut? Because lack of smut was the only drawback to this fantastic final chapter. ;) My theory was not entirely spot on... I thought maybe Alex had pushed Carter. But I'm actually really glad I was wrong because I didn't really want Alex to be that much of an asshole. Thank you for writing this story, Laura! It's been a pleasure to read. :heart: 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

“Carter, you earned your happiness. And could anyone really take Aron away from you? Ever?”

 

 

I mean, if I had to be realistic, death could.

But at the end of all things, I really liked your story, and I hope to find other stories that, like this one, will bring me reasons to grin uncontrollably and sometimes laugh.

i hope you have a good day (or night depending on where you are).

 

Edited by Anapouria
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
4 minutes ago, Thorn Wilde said:

Aww, beautiful! That was a lovely ending. Looking forward to the epilogue! Will there be smut? Because lack of smut was the only drawback to this fantastic final chapter. ;) My theory was not entirely spot on... I thought maybe Alex had pushed Carter. But I'm actually really glad I was wrong because I didn't really want Alex to be that much of an asshole. Thank you for writing this story, Laura! It's been a pleasure to read. :heart: 

 

Thank you, Thorn! Yeah, I often think that I made Alex a bigger asshole than what I intended in the first place. But I let the pieces as they fell. 

 

Ah, I'm afraid there won't be smut in the epilogue, either. The guys will have their hands full, you will see what I mean :D

 

Thank you for being with me on this ride!

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, Anapouria said:

“Carter, you earned your happiness. And could anyone really take Aron away from you? Ever?”

 

 

I mean, if I had to be realistic, death could.

 

 

Well, 'ever' in human terms, actually means 'till death do us part', which I believe covers all the bases, lol!

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
55 minutes ago, Laura S. Fox said:

 

I just noticed this second comment. The story is called Fist to the Heart, and I'm afraid it's more or less 80% sex (it's basically erotica in the purest form, lol). I just got the first chapter out there, for now, and it's basically about a fighter and a beautiful guy who wants to book him to provide entertainment in his papa's ring. 

 

What story do you refer to about having read it? Pretty Perfect or A Good Servant?

It was “A Good Servant”.  

I was excited to see another story from you on another site and started to read it.

As you said, the sexual content is, um....NC-17 rated compared to the stories you post here.  

Giving me the other title had me look that one up, too.  😊

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Omg i was right Carter did save him . I mean we knew because he is awesome. Im a little sad though he wont remember about the angels . but i see why you did it a guy like him that thinks way to much and would always dwell on where mark is 

 

Alex is still a douche but i fell for him alittle. Im glad his guardian angel put him in his place and hopeful a road to recovery and redemption. 

 

I love how the whole story is basically about everybody knowing the only thing that would ever make Aron happy is Carter and the only person who didnt know was Carter lol

Even if this never happened Aron would never be 100% happy with anyone 

 

this was such a beautiful story and hope to see these boys in maybe future fics (?)

  • Love 4
Link to comment
7 minutes ago, FanLit said:

It was “A Good Servant”.  

I was excited to see another story from you on another site and started to read it.

As you said, the sexual content is, um....NC-17 rated compared to the stories you post here.  

Giving me the other title had me look that one up, too.  😊

 

Oh, I'm glad you read A Good Servant and liked it. I knew it would be a bit too much for GA, lol. I don't want to push boundaries. They are there for a reason :) 

 

Pretty Perfect - I was sure I uploaded it here, on GA, too, as an e-book (it's a short story), but I don't think that section exists anymore ?! I cannot find it, or I would have sent you to it.

 

I hope you'll like Fist to the Heart, too!

  • Love 1
Link to comment

Ah,  im crying. If only it can continue and we can see them married with children. Maybe even a sex scene would be good lol. But truly this has been one of my favorite reads and i barley read web novels!  Just a question tho i thought alex can remember the body swap?  Has his memory been erased as well? 

  • Love 3
Link to comment
8 minutes ago, nykia8314 said:

Omg i was right Carter did save him . I mean we knew because he is awesome. Im a little sad though he wont remember about the angels . but i see why you did it a guy like him that thinks way to much and would always dwell on where mark is 

 

Alex is still a douche but i fell for him alittle. Im glad his guardian angel put him in his place and hopeful a road to recovery and redemption. 

 

I love how the whole story is basically about everybody knowing the only thing that would ever make Aron happy is Carter and the only person who didnt know was Carter lol

Even if this never happened Aron would never be 100% happy with anyone 

 

this was such a beautiful story and hope to see these boys in maybe future fics (?)

 

I'm glad you were right :)

 

Of course, he would continuously think about angels and whatnot. That would be a very Carter thing to do. And I'm glad you liked Alex a little, as well. Even though he was my little devil in this story, I felt guilty at times for making him appear so evil, lol. It was just necessary. 

 

I did a little Catch-22 with Carter being the only one to make Aron happy so he couldn't die! 

 

Ah, I can't make any promises about future fics with them. I'm not used to writing sequels, unfortunately. And my main issue is that I have multiple stories circling around in my head, so ... I tend to close a storyline, and then start another with fresh cast and everything.

 

That said, I hope you will read my future stories, nonetheless!

 

Hugs, and thank you for commenting on my story! 

  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment
3 minutes ago, TaliaK said:

Ah,  im crying. If only it can continue and we can see them married with children. Maybe even a sex scene would be good lol. But truly this has been one of my favorite reads and i barley read web novels!  Just a question tho i thought alex can remember the body swap?  Has his memory been erased as well? 

 

Ah, I didn't mean to make you cry :) The epilogue will have something of what you want and lack something of what you want. Lol, I confused you completely. 

 

To reply your question, the answer is 'no' and 'yes'. He had to undergo the same treatment as Carter so that he doesn't run around trying to sell his story of body swaps and whatnot to tabloids, lol. 

 

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment on my story. And I hope you'll read my future ones, too! (But no sweat if you won't, of course)

  • Haha 2
Link to comment

i have read so many stories n novels over d years dat d name of stries or d authors,even d characters,just slip from my mind ,after a v short time.I just remember d themes ,d overall story n if i liked it or not.dis 1 is 1 of d few stories which m guesing i won't be forgetting abt.dis is very special,carter n aron r v special,deir love is adorable n deir journey is v beautiful.i want to remember deir happy ending wid wolfsong n ravensong by TJ Klune,I just read.Karter n ox r different from other ppl,but dey find their happiness.dey fight for it n get it.it gives me hope.

 

i hv never really been able to relate to d regular shape of d heart dat v see everywhere,(❤️,dis 1).i think is different for every1.it sounds strange in writing but it makes sense to me.huh,it does,surprisingly now dat i think abt it more.i always use different colours atleast,in emojis, depending on my mood.(💜,dis mostly)

 

though i always type heart shaped box while searching for ur story n c it is box shaped heart,lol.not to offend u or anything but ya,i always remember it by heart shaped box,always.

 

anyway,dis is a wonderful story🌺

Edited by Caramel8
  • Love 3
Link to comment

That was a great ending. I'm glad Alex's angel convinced him to do the right thing.

 

What if Carter decided not to accept the mint. Would he still remember or was it just symbolic?

So does Mark not come from any religion? What religion did you base him on when you created him?

 

  • Love 3
Link to comment
22 minutes ago, Caramel8 said:

i have read so many stories n novels over d years dat d name of stries or d authors,even d characters,just slip from my mind ,after a v short time.I just remember d themes ,d overall story n if i liked it or not.dis 1 is 1 of d few stories which m guesing i won't be forgetting abt.dis is very special,carter n aron r v special,deir love is adorable n deir journey is v beautiful.i want to remember deir happy ending wid wolfsong n ravensong by TJ Klune,I just read.Karter n ox r different from other ppl,but dey find their happiness.dey fight for it n get it.it gives me hope.

 

i hv never really been able to relate to d regular shape of d heart dat v see everywhere,(❤️,dis 1).i think is different for every1.it sounds strange in writing but it makes sense to me.huh,it does,surprisingly now dat i think abt it more.i always use different colours atleast,in emojis, depending on my mood.(💜,dis mostly)

 

though i always type heart shaped box while searching for ur story n c it is box shaped heart,lol.not to offend u or anything but ya,i always remember it by heart shaped box,always.

 

anyway,dis is a wonderful story🌺

 

You're definitely not the only one who thought 'heart shaped box' instead of 'box shaped heart', lol. And I thought I was so clever to have found an unusual title that people will have a hard time forgetting. I believe I worked against myself against here, he, he.

 

I'm glad you liked the story and the characters. It's only natural to forget names and titles after a while. But you telling me that you liked it and that you always remembered it even by heart shaped box instead of the actual title, it still means a lot.

 

Thank you for commenting and for liking Carter's and Aron's adventures!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
25 minutes ago, Geoffrey257 said:

That was a great ending. I'm glad Alex's angel convinced him to do the right thing.

 

What if Carter decided not to accept the mint. Would he still remember or was it just symbolic?

So does Mark not come from any religion? What religion did you base him on when you created him?

 

 

It was symbolic. And Mark knew he would take it :)

 

I haven't really thought of a clear religious background for Mark. I'm afraid I'm a product of the times, as I'm not a religious person (although I am Christian Orthodox and I go to church sometimes) and I just imagined an angel like someone you would see on a TV show and nothing more than that. I'm sorry if you find my answer disappointing. I just had a sort of eclectic idea of Mark and I practically created him based on that.

 

Thank you for reading!

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Great ending! I suppose it makes sense to have Carter forget the whole ordeal since his "case" was won and his wish for Aron to be happy was granted. This has been one of my favorite stories on GA, and can't wait to read the epilogue!  

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, jaysalmn said:

Great ending! I suppose it makes sense to have Carter forget the whole ordeal since his "case" was won and his wish for Aron to be happy was granted. This has been one of my favorite stories on GA, and can't wait to read the epilogue!  

 

Thank you! That was pretty much it! See you next time!

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

"I just want Aron to be happy!" Ah Laura u can't be serious? 😃

I didn't see it coming well done congrats my dear 

I'm so happy and it's an honor for us readers to enjoy a masterpiece story like that 

I have nothing all to add just 

thank you my dear

box shaped heart will and forever one of story I ever read .

oh what can I add 🤔

Nothing just don't have words to explain my joy and grateful for discovering this story and the author. 

hehe I'm talking too much. 

all the best for the next my Dear 

love all your works

hugs

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..