Jump to content
    lilansui
    • Author
  • 3,305 Words
  • 2,946 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

You Make Me....Crazy - 2. Chapter 2

Black Shade and Betrayal

Junghee’s visit unsettled his balance, forgetting his promise to Sunny, Jae took his bike and rode back home in a hurry. The scenery held no interest for him, instead his head filled with the past. Ghosts and painful memories of betrayal grated against old wounds. He winced as he reached home. Instead of entering the house, he decided to head to the cabbage patch he’d planted the day before.

Turning on the water, he took the hose and walked along the rows carefully watering the fragile seedlings. Moving from one plant to the next, the repetitive work soothed him, allowing the jumble of memories to tumble to the surface easier.

He’d always loved music and the rush of performance from a young age. His parents would always encourage him to pursue his dreams and reach the highest he could. Knowing a small town like Gong couldn’t give him the opportunities he wanted, he’d gone to Seoul at the age of sixteen.

Sixteen, he thought now with a sigh.

Amidst his parents’ protests, he’d decided to take the plunge and gone to Seoul for an audition call at the N-sang Entertainment agency. He’d passed the audition and been accepted into the training program, but his success had presented a new challenge. Life alone in Seoul. Coming from a big family facing loneliness hadn’t been easy. Seoul was tough without someone to lean on. He’d ended up living in a small two-bedroom house, with a roommate who spent most of his time running a club. He’d worked an endless cycle of odd jobs, delivering ramen, and dish-washing at hotels, cleaning services, and singing at karaoke bars. It was an endless cycle to help him pay for his vocal and dance training fees, not to mention rent and food.

He’d worked his jobs and dealt with the long hours spent training his voice, and dancing until points of exhaustion. Surrounded by a school full of aspiring singers and dancers all wanting the same opportunity, he’d endured sleepless nights and sore muscles with determination. There were times when he was sure he’d break, but he hadn’t.

One day, at the end of his second training year, he performed for the N-sang president for the chance to be part of a new N-sang group. A group of four young men they’d name Black Shade. The audition was tough, his nerves shot, he’d felt at the end of his wits.

When they’d announced his qualification, he’d almost collapsed in tears. At the time, he’d just been happy to make it in to a group. Glad to have the opportunity to work toward his dream, he’d accepted his role in Black Shade with a clean heart.

He was the oldest in the group of four. Park Jaesun was younger than he was by two months, Kang Junghee was six months younger than he was, and then there was Song Andre who was seventeen to their eighteen. They all called him hyung (older brother) and because of this, the agency considered him the leader of Black Shade.

When they’d signed their contracts, the terms and conditions had seemed right; none of them had thought to take the time to read the fine print. Instead, they’d all worked to make Black Shade a success.

Ambition was a punishing companion, Jae thought.

He’d worked so hard, harder than when he’d been training to be part of a group. He remembered sleeping two hours a day, waking up to train his voice, or practice choreography for their endless shows. He’d taken extra care with his eating habits, attended endless venue activities as needed by N-sang Entertainment. They’d performed late into the night, going back to the Black Shade residence and doing it over again the next day.

Their day-offs had dwindled to three in a year and even then, they weren’t exactly guaranteed. He’d held on for the sake of the dream. Despite their restrictive lifestyle, to the nation, Black Shade became the ultimate successful boy band in Korea. Kim Jaehan became a role model to young people.

The leader of Black Shade, Jae sighed at the memory, he’d felt untouchable.

Four years later, Black Shade was successful. Too successful, he thought sadly. The band members became his family. He thought of them as his younger siblings. Their easy acceptance and shared goals had brought them together, given him a love he couldn’t describe.

Jae turned off the water and sat on a rock in the middle of the garden. He sometimes hated the moment he’d started asking questions. If he’d kept blindly following orders, Black Shade would have survived.

At first, he’d been content to take whatever N-sang gave him and keep living. But after a particularly successful tour, they’d come back home expecting a large pay-off only to be faced with disappointment.

Kang Junghee’s brother, Sang, had pointed out the discrepancies in their income hoping to get Junghee’s income adjusted. When Junghee brought up the issue with him, Jae had first accused him of trying to break Black Shade. Later on though, he’d started thinking about Junghee’s questions and decided to pursue the matter as Black Shade’s leader. N-sang however had shut down any questions he’d asked with words like ‘increased costs and expenses’. N-sang Entertainment had withheld Black Shade’s profits and insisted the band wasn’t as successful as the world thought.

Shaking his head, he thought back to the documents they’d given him to explain the increased costs of production and expenses. Surely, even a child could count, one plus one, equals two. A band selling merchandise, albums, doing concerts and filling stadiums, their costs hadn’t made sense. According to N-sang, their continued success meant that their costs increased. N-sang charged all costs incurred during tours and promotion activities to Black Shade’s income. Though the band was drawing in large proceeds, the costs incurred through N-sang Management, dropped their pay to mere pocket money. He’d gotten angry when the N-sang C.E.O had shut down any attempts to discuss the matter farther.

Reality had crashed in when Junghee had wanted to buy a house when his old lease ended. Junghee had to take a loan to buy the darned house. Black Shade found itself in a unique situation. Poor yet successful, Jaehan thought as he studied a struggling seedling beside him.

Kang Sang, Junghee’s brother had taken a closer look at their contracts thinking that if they rode out the situation, in a year or two, Black Shade would be free to carry out its activities under a new agency. But, it turned out that they’d signed twelve-year exclusive contracts with N-sang Entertainment. Being twenty-two, his contract would have ended when he was thirty, not to mention the fact that he needed to meet his military obligations, which had meant thirty-two years old. He'd counted those years and felt like the world was ending. N-sang would own him until he was thirty-two. Any attempts to break the contract terms would incur fines that were triple the amount of money N-sang Entertainment paid them. Since the contracts were exclusive, they couldn’t carry out any performances outside the agency without incurring more fines.

Sang had advised them to ask for a contract revision. When they’d broached the topic to the N-sang executives, the situation had only gotten worse.

N-sang Entertainment had suspended Black Shade’s activities, claiming that the group members were in breach of contract. In response, Kang Sang had filed a complaint in court asking to suspend the Black Shade contracts with the claim that they were unfair. Hell had broken lose after that.

N-sang Entertainment had taken the case against them as an attack and started a media battle that had made him want to hide in bed every day.

He buried his head in his hands remembering the day Park Jaesun, his lover and best friend had betrayed him and Black Shade. He hadn’t slept for days terrified by the thought of losing everything. As it was, he hadn’t seen how they would escape from the lawsuit unscathed.

~~~~

“Jaehan,” a soft voice interrupted his worried thoughts. He sat up on the bed to find his manager standing at the entrance. “Andre and Junghee want to talk to you.”

He’d closed his eyes and fought back the need to push them away. They were in trouble together. Losing everything together, his manager opened the door wider and in walked his two band mates. The fact that Jaesun hadn’t been with them had made his heart ache even more.

Junghee strolled into the room carrying a newspaper. His red hair a stark contrast from his pale skin, dressed in black, he’d looked like he was in mourning. Behind him, Andre looked shaken. He too was dressed in black, his eyes red, as though he’d been crying.

Last night, Jaesun, one of them, had decided to give up their fight and chosen to drop out of the lawsuit against N-sang Entertainment. He knew N-sang had designed Jaesun’s choice to break. But because he’d loved Jaesun, given him everything, Jaesun's betrayal felt like an open wound in his heart. What was Black Shade without Jaesun?

“I’ll be outside,” his manager left, closing the door behind her.

Andre came to lay on the bed beside him. Junghee handed him the newspaper and he’d stared at Jaesun’s handsome face plastered on the front of the page. ‘Black Shade loses Park Jaesun in the fight against N-sang.’ He hadn’t wanted to read the article; no one could articulate Black Shade’s situation. He’d balled the paper and thrown it on the floor as hard as he could.

“Hyung,” Andre said quietly. “We should stop now.”

“And then what?” Jae had asked digging fingers into his hair. He leaned against the headboard and pushed the pain away. “If we don’t fight, Andre, N-sang will win. We’ll be working for them for the rest of our lives. What’s worse, we’ll come out of it without much to show for our work.”

“Maybe it’s better to have what we had than nothing,” Andre said quietly.

He’d heard the argument before. The same argument Park Jaesun had given him before he’d capitulated to N-sang’s offer.

“Junghee,” Jae said looking at the redhead pacing along his bed. “What do you think? Can we save Black Shade?”

Junghee shook his head. “Breaking will mean suffering under N-sang wordlessly. If we go back, our schedules will worsen; we’ll pay for this embarrassment. Hyung, please don’t quit on me.”

“I’m not quitting, I’m afraid.” Jae said harshly meeting his gaze with sad eyes. “I don’t know if I can give up this life. Junghee, you have your brother and family to look after you. Andre, your family will also take you back, but me-,” he shook his head. What would become of him without Black Shade? Music was his life. He’d given up so much just to make it here.

“Hyung,” Andre said softly. “You can stay with me. I’d never abandon you.”

Jae sighed and closed his eyes. “Jaesun made his decision. I guess it’s our turn. Today’s the last day before we can go back on this.”

“I’m not going to live this way.” Junghee stated. Jae looked at him and realized Junghee was the strongest of them all. Jae might be older, but Junghee had more strength than he did. “Even if I lose it all, I will start again.”

“I’m with Junghee,” Andre answered quietly. “I don’t want to live like a slave. I don’t even remember what it feels like to have a day-off. If I’m going to work this hard, I should at least have something to show for it.”

Sliding his feet over the bed, Jae stood and walked to the windows overlooking Seoul. N-sang had asked them to move out and go home until this issue was resolved. He could imagine that meant losing anything N-sang had given them. The list sitting on his desk was astounding, even his car belonged to N-sang. Turning to the two by the bed, Jae sighed as he realized they were right. They’d worked too hard for things to end up this way.

“I’ll call a cab in thirty minutes,” Jae said quietly. “We can go to the house I got by the lake. No one will find us there.”

“What about Jaesun?” Andre asked.

He sighed. Jaesun had decided his path and there was no going back. “There’s nothing to do about him, Andre.”

Junghee moved around the bed and came to hug him. His warmth seeped into Jae, giving him a small measure of comfort. Small because he knew what their decision was going to end up costing them in the near future.

~~~~

Jae stood from the rock and dragged the hose back to its holder. The Seoul District Court had accepted their argument to make the contracts with N-sang invalid four months after their initial filing. He’d felt hope. Hope that N-sang would leave them alone.

Needing to get back on stage Junghee, Andre and he had renamed their band Rebellion. Working in Japan through Rand Agency, they’d continued singing without Park Jaesun. For seven amazing months, he’d woken up happy to be doing something he loved on his own terms. Rebellion had gained a following, their old fans, God love them, had followed them from their days as Black Shade and made Rebellion a success in mere months.

Their final night, Jaehan closed his eyes remembering that day as if it was yesterday. The day they’d lost everything. Rand Entertainment had suspended all their activities claiming discrepancies with their representative agency in Korea.

N-sang Entertainment had filed an objection to the court injunction that invalidated their contracts with N-sang claiming that the contracts were still valid. No one would do business with them, book their shows, sell their albums; even television and radio programs blacklisted Rebellion. With nothing to hold on to, he’d packed a bag and moved back home to Gong.

He walked to the wooden platform he’d slept on the night before. He was now twenty-three. In the space of seven years, he'd tasted unimaginable fame and equally unimaginable failure. Taking the folder Junghee had given him, he leafed through its contents. They were articles Junghee had collected.

‘Kim Jaehan, Kang Junghee & Song Andre vs. N-sang Entertainment. Who is the real victim?’ ‘Park Jaesun tells the truth behind Black Shades End.’

He read the articles with a mixture of anger and guilt. Jaesun blamed him for the end of Black Shade. Insisting Jaehan had forced the band members to file for the injunction. ‘Kim Jaehan’s greed caused the end. He should have endured. If he’d waited, taken the time to be reasonable, the situation would have been resolved.’

Park Jaesun, he thought a knife stabbing into his heart. Jaesun’s words hurt him deep. He’d tried his best to protect Black Shade, but Jaesun had chosen to hang to N-sang Entertainment. As far as Jae was concerned, Jaesun should have been the one who endured with them.

He turned to the next article and almost gasped when he saw a picture of his last night in Seoul. He’d gotten drunk, completely wasted at a club in Seoul. He had no recollection of how he’d gone home that night. When he’d woken up the next day, he’d decided the best solution was to leave the city. In the picture, two women he didn’t recognize were helping him into a taxi.

‘Kim Jaehan breaks under pressure.’

He didn’t read the article. Instead, he moved to the next one. ‘Andre struggles after Black Shade ends.’

Andre’s picture in sweats, walking behind his brother graced the top of the article. He assumed they’d taken the picture while Andre was at home. The article implied that Andre was working as his brother’s manager because no one else would hire him.

‘Junghee disappears from Seoul.’ ‘Kim Jaehan rumored to be in hiding.’

The speculation drove him crazy. Dropping the folder on the ground, he wondered if he could afford to give up this way.

“Jae,” his mother said coming to sit next to him. She dropped her handbag beside her and yawned. “What a long day. Did you water the plants?”

“Yes,” he said quietly.

She held out a frozen ice cream stick and he laughed. She’d divided it in half, as it was one of those that came with two sticks. He took the red treat and kissed her cheek in thanks.

“How was work?’ he asked. She was a teacher in the local kindergarten school.

“Good, same as always, and not,” Gae In smiled at him. “What about you?”

He shrugged. “Same as always, and not,” he replied.

“I see why you like sitting here,” she said after a few minutes in silence. “The wind feels nice.”

“It really does,” he said leaning back on the wooden platform, his body supported by his elbows. “The cool breeze washes away everything, leaves you fresh.”

Gae In shifted so that she sat looking at him. “Is that what you want to do? Forget it all and live like this?”

He stared at the blue sky above. “A small part of me wants to stay. I’d get married to a nice girl, give you grandkids to worry about, be Jae.”

Gae In touched his jaw with a finger, gently caressing his skin. She reached his ear and tugged on his earlobe, her thumb rubbing the empty holes where he wore his earrings.

“But you’re not just Jae,” she said quietly. “You’re my shining star and you won’t be happy living this way.”

He met her knowing gaze. “Mum,” he started with a frown.

“Marriage with kids and a wife is not for you,” she said with a small smile. “I know, Jae. I know what Jaesun meant to you and what he cost you.”

His cheeks flamed red and he tried to turn away from her gaze. He’d hoped she wouldn’t understand why Jaesun’s betrayal had hurt him so much.

“Jaesun loved you, Jae. When you were in Japan, he came to visit me. He wanted to see you so badly, but-, you were gone.”

“That’s not why he came,” Jae said shaking his head bitterly. Jaesun had probably wanted to appease his guilt.

“When you left Seoul, don’t you think you gave up on Junghee and Andre as well?” Gae In asked.

The articles at his feet were proof of that. He should have stayed and helped Andre deal with the negative press. Their case against Rand was still in court, the objection case brought forward by N-sang had yet to be resolved. Hiding away made him look weak, and he didn’t appreciate that. He wasn’t ashamed of his fight against N-sang.

“I might have to go back to Seoul,” he said quietly.

“I know.” Gae In smiled. “I’ll take care of your cabbages.”

He’d miss this place, he thought when Gae In tugged on his ear and sat back to enjoy her ice cream treat. He loved his mother’s attitude. Being a musician hadn’t made his parents’ lives easier. His fame had forced on them enough troubles. They’d moved three times before they’d found Gong and this hideaway. Having a relationship with Jaesun had to be hard for his mother to come to terms with. The fact that she hadn’t told his father was enough commentary on her state of mind. Yet she smiled and encouraged him to pursue his dreams, his heart.

“Mom, you’re my favorite person in the whole world. You know that, right?” he said turning on his side to look at her.

She laughed the sound carefree and comforting. It made him wish that at her age he’d laugh just like she did, and that his hard times would have ended.

*****

2013, lilansui
  • Like 20
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Now I understand why he would want to go back to a quiet life where everyone knows everything except who he is . But his mom is right he wouldnt be happy there for long and definitely not with a wife and kids. But can he go back to what he left and fight for everything while his ex-lover and friend tears everything apart. Good chapter looking forward to see what he does next. I'm glad he has his mom on his side.

Link to comment

Ok, so I might get the names mixed up b/c there's more than one Jae, and more than one Junghee...or are those last names but people refer to others by their last names? Anyway,it was confusing for me.

 

I think I'll use the other names: Park, Andre, ok, Jae and Junghee. Oh, there's only one Junghee. Ok, got it now. lol

 

Park was a shit, he was just as bad as N-sang for what he did, betraying the band, but more specifically, betraying Jae's love and trust. N-sang should have been sued, which they were, but unfortunately, they fought dirty and got involved with Rand and let them know what was going on. I'm actually surprised Rand's attorneys didn't look into why Black Shade left N-sang. I think if they knew all along there was a lawsuit against N-sang, they would have never signed Rebellion/Black Shade on.

 

Jae's mom is very smart. She knows her son won't be happy living the quiet, peaceful, dull life in a small town; he needs the excitement of a big city and the excitement of being onstage.

 

Oh, I did have a question about their ages: Jae left Gong and went to Seoul he was sixteen. Then when he was in his second year of training (he was eighteen then, right?), he got signed on with N-sang. So why was it that he was the oldest of Black Shade at twenty-three and they were all twenty-two? Where did the seven years between sixteen and twenty-three come from?

Link to comment

I think I'm going to really enjoy this story. because it has a lot of topics that interests me. I'm a huge fan of kpop and korean entertainment as a whole, so learning the relationship between artists and their agencies is interesting. I know from watching kpop bands that they don't get much break and work year round to the point where they rarely see their family or have a life outside of their job. Also, they don't have much rights in terms of what their agencies can demand of them. This whole scenario between Black Shade and their agency reminds me a lot of TVXQ and their situation with SM Entertainment. You're probably aware of their situation, so I won't go into details. Anyway, I can't wait for the next chapter.

Link to comment
On 10/15/2013 09:49 AM, Daithi said:
Now I understand why he would want to go back to a quiet life where everyone knows everything except who he is . But his mom is right he wouldnt be happy there for long and definitely not with a wife and kids. But can he go back to what he left and fight for everything while his ex-lover and friend tears everything apart. Good chapter looking forward to see what he does next. I'm glad he has his mom on his side.
Good questions, Jaesun chose to side with the villain, that was tough for Jae. Great review, thank you Daithi.
Link to comment
On 10/15/2013 01:25 PM, Lisa said:
Ok, so I might get the names mixed up b/c there's more than one Jae, and more than one Junghee...or are those last names but people refer to others by their last names? Anyway,it was confusing for me.

 

I think I'll use the other names: Park, Andre, ok, Jae and Junghee. Oh, there's only one Junghee. Ok, got it now. lol

 

Park was a shit, he was just as bad as N-sang for what he did, betraying the band, but more specifically, betraying Jae's love and trust. N-sang should have been sued, which they were, but unfortunately, they fought dirty and got involved with Rand and let them know what was going on. I'm actually surprised Rand's attorneys didn't look into why Black Shade left N-sang. I think if they knew all along there was a lawsuit against N-sang, they would have never signed Rebellion/Black Shade on.

 

Jae's mom is very smart. She knows her son won't be happy living the quiet, peaceful, dull life in a small town; he needs the excitement of a big city and the excitement of being onstage.

 

Oh, I did have a question about their ages: Jae left Gong and went to Seoul he was sixteen. Then when he was in his second year of training (he was eighteen then, right?), he got signed on with N-sang. So why was it that he was the oldest of Black Shade at twenty-three and they were all twenty-two? Where did the seven years between sixteen and twenty-three come from?

Haha, sorry for the many names. As for the ages, I worked on that. What I'd done before was have him thinking of their cages at the current time line, and not the past. Since that wasn't clear, I changed that. He was eighteen when he made his debut with black shade, four years later, the band is successful, he's twenty-two, through the year of the lawsuit upto the moment in the cabbage patch, he's now twenty-three, while his bandmates are twenty-two. Sorry for the confusion. Thanks for pointing it out.
Link to comment
On 10/15/2013 02:28 PM, bookjunky18 said:
I think I'm going to really enjoy this story. because it has a lot of topics that interests me. I'm a huge fan of kpop and korean entertainment as a whole, so learning the relationship between artists and their agencies is interesting. I know from watching kpop bands that they don't get much break and work year round to the point where they rarely see their family or have a life outside of their job. Also, they don't have much rights in terms of what their agencies can demand of them. This whole scenario between Black Shade and their agency reminds me a lot of TVXQ and their situation with SM Entertainment. You're probably aware of their situation, so I won't go into details. Anyway, I can't wait for the next chapter.
Hi Bookjunky! Yeah, I was a TVXQ fan for a while, now I'm all JYJ, lol. Thank you for the endorsement, I'll work to make this story memorable for you. And you're right about the Entertainment agencies, things aren't always what they seem. Not to mention that the big agencies have so much power within the industries, the artists end up working long hours, making lots of money for the agency and getting very little. It's not always like this, there are those who get lucky, but I suppose my characters are one of those that didn't get lucky. ^_^

Thank you so much for your review.

Link to comment

Betrayal by your Management is bad, but your lover betraying you makes it all the more sad. I think I'd go home for awhile also to get my head straight. I'm glad Jae has his Mother's support.

It's going to be interesting to see what develops from the meeting, and I feel that Jaeson is not out of the picture yet. Loving this!

Link to comment

I'm glad that Jae's ready to stand again for his band-mates and for himself. It was not very easy when not only N-Sang but his love also betrayed him. I'm so proud of Jae. Right now I'm hating Jaeshun more than N-Sang.

I really loved Jae's mom, she's just awesome. I'm eager to know what happens next, in Seoul. And what about that meeting Junghee was talking about in previous chapter? Would Jaeshun be back? Would Jae, Junghee and Andre will get what they deserve? Let's find out. Very nice and insightful Chapter Sui, moving onto next one:)

Link to comment
On 10/25/2013 05:57 AM, joann414 said:
Betrayal by your Management is bad, but your lover betraying you makes it all the more sad. I think I'd go home for awhile also to get my head straight. I'm glad Jae has his Mother's support.

It's going to be interesting to see what develops from the meeting, and I feel that Jaeson is not out of the picture yet. Loving this!

Yes, home is always gives you this reboot mojo, and heals the pain, right. Thank you, Joann.
Link to comment
On 10/28/2013 04:35 AM, sacredlove said:
I'm glad that Jae's ready to stand again for his band-mates and for himself. It was not very easy when not only N-Sang but his love also betrayed him. I'm so proud of Jae. Right now I'm hating Jaeshun more than N-Sang.

I really loved Jae's mom, she's just awesome. I'm eager to know what happens next, in Seoul. And what about that meeting Junghee was talking about in previous chapter? Would Jaeshun be back? Would Jae, Junghee and Andre will get what they deserve? Let's find out. Very nice and insightful Chapter Sui, moving onto next one:)

N-sang is trouble, and there's is always that one person who should have stood by you but didn't. Lol, Jae is not yet ready to give up. Thanks for another review. :)
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..