Jump to content
    LJH
  • Author
  • 904 Words
  • 1,016 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Footprints - 6. Chapter 6

The Attack
It’s a feeling like none other. An addiction. Exhilarating. Motivating. You’ve had it ever since you first said hi to him. It’s everything about him; his smell, his erotic passion, his romantic passion and his flaws. There is a strong, bold attachment to him and you cannot imagine him going home to Catherine although he must. Rubbing his fine, lithe body with suntan lotion, you recall that he’s just twenty, not a loser. When he’s thirty, you’ll be forty and so on. A lifetime is a short time to spend together. He’ll most likely dump you later. They all do. One cock isn’t enough for them. But, for now, you’re content with what you’ve heard. He loves you. That’s big.
‘Mom, you’re keeping time today. Don’t forget to reset the watch after every swim,’Will says, hugging her. ‘When we are done we’ll check the times against yesterday’s attemps.’
‘Fine with me. Take your time and don’t overdo it,’ she says. Her finger is on the start button.
Ruwan helps you bring the canoe forward and place it in the ocean and within a few moments you’re seated and waiting for Catherine’s go.
‘Okay, let’s do this….GO!’
 
***
 
The canoe thrashes and bounces through the waves trying to catch up with Will. He’s like a fish at one with the water. You’re breathless, rowing as fast as you can as he reaches the buoy and makes his turn. He’s dead on yesterday’s time. He’s going to break that record set yesterday. And then suddenly
you’re flying through the air.
The moment you hit the surface your eyes are closed and you’re thrashing about. Heart pounding. You can’t scream because you’re in a lucid dream with fear all around you, but your eyes scream. Your body contracts.
Screams coming from the beach. The water is red. You know and understand it’s a shark and when you look back you see a torn, exposed tendon on your right heel. You try and swim away as quickly as you can but you’re too weak to get to shore. Too weak…and then there’s a vice clamp on your right hand and you’re staring into the jaws of the one creature most feared on this earth.
Shark.
And you remember suddenly that the birds aren’t migrating. They’re feeding off the sardines, and so are whales and sharks and Ganets and gulls.
 
***
 
William turns immediately and rushes towards you, arms flailing, struggling to free you from those unforgiving jaws with little thought for his own life. He hits out at the giant fishes body and misses once or twice but finally manages to punch it on the nose. It releases.
But takes your hand with it.
Will fights for your life in a sea of blood and screams towards the beach that you’ve been injured. He takes you in his grip and swims towards the beach, terrified that the shark will return, but knowing that the creature is also filled with fear now. He won’t return. Not right away.
 
***
 
Catherine has seen the attack. Her scream fills the air the moment she sees you flying through the void but it’s Ruwan who grabs his cell phone and dials 911 for help. He’s breathless as he relates to them that there’s been a shark attack and evacuation is needed immediately.
 
***
 
William’s strength is unending as he pulls you onto the beach and finally sees the extent of the injuries. Your right tendon has been mauled and your right hand has gone, severed cleanly from the bone. He reaches for your face and shouts out that you have no right to die on him now, not now that he’s found you. Your body is cold, trembling, jerking as the blood pours out of your leg and arm.
Ruwan quietly examines your injuries. Being an active member of the South African defence force, he has advanced training to deal with acute trauma.
Will is sobbing wildly. And you can hear it.
‘Hey Will,’ you say, ‘Shark…’
Will nods but can’t speak. He’s visibly shocked.
‘Will! I need you, Will,’ Ruwan shakes him by the shoulders. ‘I need your help now. Right now! Get to the house and look for a first aid kit.’
Will rushes off while Ruwan wraps the blanket around you for warmth.
‘Is he going to live?’ Catherine asks.
‘He’s got good colour, and although he’s shaking, he’s still awake, and maybe even talking, but I don’t know for how long. I need you to tear part of the blanket and apply it to his severed hand. Put pressure on it. Above all, he needs to stay warm, so keep the blanket on him.’
After what seems like an eternity, Will returns with linen and two more blankets and a medical aid kit. He removes the dirt from his tendon wound with a sterile gauze and disinfectant, but keeps away from the severed stump.
Within eight minutes the helicopter lands to casavac you to Addington Beach Hospital in Durban. The medics say you’ll live. They’ve seen worse. You’re lucky. And you do feel lucky, because if Will wasn’t with you in the water, you would have been killed. Because, if not for Ruwan’s quick thinking, you would have been dead.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
  
 
Thank you for reading. Please leave a comment or even click on like.
Louis J Harris
  • Like 8
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 02/13/2014 08:21 AM, knotme said:
Wow.
Okay lol. I know its a heavy scene. But there was ample warning. Now how on earth are these four characters going to handle this tragedy?
Link to comment
On 02/13/2014 07:50 PM, nostic said:
"shark"..."shark"....I hope one eats you.
I'm too sharky for that. Lol
Link to comment

Holy shit, Louis! I thought this was a rainbows and puppy dog story!

 

I think I'm sobbing harder than Will. Holy shit, I'm in shock!

 

Thank God Will and Ruwan were there. I can't believe Will was so fearless.

Link to comment

You did it! You let it eat his hand too. Shame :,( Thank goodness for Ruwan and Will. This showed how deep Will's feelings are and it was just after there were doubts. Everyone love romance and rainbows, but a little drama thrown in keeps you on the edge of your seat. Can't wait for the next chapter. :2thumbs:

Link to comment
On 02/15/2014 05:28 AM, Lisa said:
Holy shit, Louis! I thought this was a rainbows and puppy dog story!

 

I think I'm sobbing harder than Will. Holy shit, I'm in shock!

 

Thank God Will and Ruwan were there. I can't believe Will was so fearless.

Sorry sorry but not really sorry about the tears. LOL. Totally intended. That's the thing with heroes, they don't think about the danger they put themselves into. Thanks for enjoying.
Link to comment
On 02/15/2014 06:42 AM, joann414 said:
You did it! You let it eat his hand too. Shame :,( Thank goodness for Ruwan and Will. This showed how deep Will's feelings are and it was just after there were doubts. Everyone love romance and rainbows, but a little drama thrown in keeps you on the edge of your seat. Can't wait for the next chapter. :2thumbs:
If you've read Even Stars die, you'll notice that I can't write without drama thrown in. Thanks Lady Friday.
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
:o:,( I'm so glad he survived and I totally felt the raw emotion. I sincerely hope he's left-handed, otherwise he may never paint again :( Great chapter.
Link to comment

So the foreboding was leading to something. Damn! Though we were warned, so it did somewhat lessen the shock. This will have huge repercussions for them both. Can Will deal with a severely maimed partner? Can he learn to paint again? He's already been so hurt and burnt and now having to deal with all the shit from physical injuries like these might just be too much. Will he push Will away? Must say I was thinking at least he was in the canoe and could be handy to rescue Will when Will got attacked, then you totally reversed it so he was attacked in the canoe. Not sure whether that fits the normal for a shark attack though I believe they have attacked surf boards before.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..