Jump to content
    Mac Rountree
  • Author
  • 8,987 Words
  • 2,484 Views
  • 19 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Divine Intervention - 10. Sean Becomes An Artist

You should grab a beverage of choice and something to eat. This is a long chapter. Enjoy.

December 24, 1988

 

Joe sat in the transept of the church tinkering with the light board. He had been fearless in agreeing to run the lights for the pageant. He couldn’t stop himself. He had been consumed with this project for a month. What started as something simply as looking at the old sets to see if they were salvageable had taken on a life of its own. Joe was full steam ahead on any and all aspects of the Christmas pageant.

Joe asked the owner of the lumber company he used in his business to donate all of the materials for the set. He promised that there would be a big advertisement for the company in the printed program. The owner said yes to Joe because he knew that Joe did all of his business with his company and it was also for a charitable cause that involved kids. After agreeing to the advertisement, Joe realized he didn’t know if there would be a printed program. He needed to talk with Thomas and make sure there was a program with the acknowledgement. Luckily, Thomas said yes. With a little bit of free rein Joe raced forward.

Joe went to a friend, Bugboy, who worked for a theater company in Philadelphia and asked how to light the show. Bugboy offered to loan the church the lights and lightboard and teach Joe how to run the show. After watching an early rehearsal, Bugboy asked if he could be stage manager. He was impressed with the kids and thought he could help ramp it up a notch or two. Thomas agreed.

Joe didn’t know anything about fabric but boldly walked into a fabric outlet store and told them what was needed. He had a list that Elaine had made for him. Joe would never ask charity for himself but was bold when asking for the church. Again, he promised a free advertisement in the program. The manager told him to pick out what he wanted. Joe didn’t have a clue so he called Elaine. She came to the shop and left with a car full of fabrics and trim. The manager kept piling on more fabric and said they might want to do a Holy Week pageant also.

Elaine called Anne, President of the Altar Guild, and said they needed people with sewing machines who would donate their time to make costumes. One area of the undercroft became the costume department. The women who were creating the costumes for the Three Kings were having a competition to see who could put the most sparkles on the costumes. These were kings, right? They needed to be heavily adorned. Old jewelry was donated and beads were handsewn on the robes. With a little light they would shimmer. Crowns were made out of metal, painted gold and jewels were glued to them. Someone donated an old mink stole to be cut up and used around the base of the crowns so they would sit gently on the kings’ heads.

Elaine, Thomas and Joe became so excited about what was being created they decided that the undercroft was off limits to the church members. They wanted them all to be dazzled on the night of the pageant. The word was starting to spread because the kids would go home and talk about what an exciting rehearsal it had been but they refused to give away any clues. The parents could see a level of excitement about church life they had never witnessed in their kids before. Joe was having the time of his life. He loved kids and wanted them around him. This was great because he could spend time with them and then send them home to their parents. Thomas was excited because he got to see Joe every day and also because the congregation was coming alive. They were all talking about the great things that were happening. Kids started showing up at rehearsal asking if they could be part of the pageant. Elaine and Thomas said yes to each and every one of them and then would send them to the costumers. By the time they finished there wouldn’t be enough fabric for a Holy Week pageant. Luckily, some of the costumes would work for both.

What a month it had been. First, there was the set design. Joe had never done anything in the theater but he looked at the old sets and knew he could do better. He also wanted it to be a legacy set that would be used for many years. He laid out the panels and had Elaine approve everything before he made the first cut. He didn’t want there to be an error and then him having to go ask for more donations. He asked Thomas to put together a team to clean out the undercroft so that he could use part of it for his workshop. He cut the shapes and then drew in areas where different paints would be applied. Joe went to the public library and checked out books on painting theater scenery. He asked Elaine to recruit kids that might be good at painting. Sean showed up for the first day of painting. He was in the eighth grade and looked small for his age. He was also very unsure of himself until he had the paint brush in his hand. He started painting and the other kids stood back in awe. They said they wanted to help but that Sean was fantastic and they wanted the very best for the pageant and he was doing it. Sean glowed from the accolades. When Sean said he needed four gallons of lacquer, Joe immediately went to the paint store and asked for it. He was grateful they donated it because it was expensive. Joe gave some of the kids other jobs to do in priming the sets so that Sean could put on the final coats. The sets were starting to look like Russian iconography.

One of the girls brought a cassette player and Joe gritted his teeth when he heard hip-hop blaring from the speakers. Damn, he hated that music. However, he looked and the kids were bopping around enjoying themselves while they were working. He kept his mouth shut. They started creating Christmas lyrics to some of the tunes. That made Joe begrudgingly smile.

Elaine was rehearsing the kids on their parts. It wasn’t a complicated show, in part, because Elaine wasn’t a complicated person. After Bugboy offered to help by being the stage manager he then slowly became the director. He kept offering ideas to Elaine and she finally asked him to take on the show while she made costumes. The kids loved Bugboy. They would sing his name and dance around him. He was down with them and suddenly a simple little Christmas pageant was becoming a big show. Bugboy was getting under their skin in a good way. He was always happy, open to hearing their ideas and then incorporating them into the show. He kept telling them it was their show and it was going to be world class. He believed in them and they believed in him. They were going to rock Philadelphia.

The church music director started off by having the kids singing Episcopal hymns as part of the pageant. Joe and Bugboy listened to complaints from the kids one day and offered to talk with Jim about his choice of music. The kids wanted things that were more contemporary. Jim scowled and then said he would try. Jim reminded Joe that this was an Episcopal Church, after all, and things were done certain ways. Bugboy asked Jim if he was going to be a help or a hindrance in putting together the best Christmas pageant in Philadelphia. Bugboy could be blunt in that way. He had allegiance to the pageant, not to the church. He worked in professional theater and knew how to cut to the chase when needed. He thought the kids had great potential and he didn’t want it ruined by some old school church organist. At the next rehearsal, Jim asked the kids what songs they would like to sing. They gave him great ideas and some of the stodgy songs were reworked with a modern rhythm. Bugboy, stood at the side and smiled.

Sean would check in with Joe each afternoon when he arrived. Joe left his worksite and would immediately go to St. Anselm so he was always smelling of the worksite and his own particular manly odor. Sean would always lean into him and Joe would put his arm across his shoulder. The boy drew strength from being close to Joe. Thomas would have sandwiches he had made for the three of them. Sean would practically inhale his sandwich each day. Joe started offering Sean half of his sandwich which was duly refused until one day Joe didn’t ask. He took the half sandwich and crammed it into Sean’s mouth. Sean choked, then laughed and starting chewing. From that day forward, Thomas made two sandwiches for Sean. Thomas also had a cooler of lemonade and an urn of hot chocolate for everyone because the basement was either hot or cold; there was no in-between. Joe gave Thomas some money and asked him to purchase some food to give to Sean before he left each night. He sensed that Sean’s family was very poor and couldn’t afford much food. Thomas bought the food and also went to the church’s food pantry to supplement it. He then had an idea and put a food table in the undercroft. He piled it with food and told the kids to take home what they wanted. He was clear it wasn’t about need but want. He didn’t want the table to be seen as where the poor kids could get food. At first the kids were hesitant but quickly cottoned to the idea that nobody was judging them if they wanted the (much needed) food. The women who were sewing starting bringing in desserts each night and declared that there would be a competition between them for the best brownies. The kids thought that was a great idea. Suddenly there was an intergenerational bonding at the church that had not occurred before.

One night, Sean sat between Thomas and Joe while they were eating. All of a sudden, he started crying and leaned into Joe who put his arm around him and pulled him in closer.

“What’s wrong with my little buddy?”

“Nothing, I was suddenly sad.”

“What are you sad about?”

“Nothing. I will get over it. Right? We all just have to get over it and get on with it. It’s the way life is.”

Sean jumped up from his seat and quickly walked to the paint cans and opened one so he could get started. Thomas gave Joe a look like ‘what the hell?’ Joe spent more time with Sean that night. He was always just a few steps away. Sean didn’t say anything to the other people who were there. Joe would notice him get a hitch in his throat, pause, collect himself and then push onward. Normally, Joe would go to the rectory with Thomas when they finished but that night he offered to take Sean home. Sean said he could walk but Joe was persistent. He wanted some alone time with Sean to try to find out what was bothering him. They walked to the parking lot and Joe opened the door to his F-250. Sean started to climb up into the cab and Joe put his hands under his butt and lifted him. Sean turned around, grinned at Joe and told him, “thanks, daddy Joe.”

Joe got in and buckled his seatbelt. Sean slid beside him. Joe said that if they got stopped then he would get a ticket because Sean wasn’t wearing his seatbelt. Sean looked at him, smirked and told him not to drive crazy and they wouldn’t be stopped. Sean leaned into Joe and fell asleep before they got to the apartment building where he and his mother lived. Joe woke Sean and asked if he needed help in carrying the bags upstairs. Sean was clear that wasn’t necessary and he jumped from the seat onto the pavement, reached up and grabbed the bags and told Joe he would see him the next night. Joe called his name and when Sean turned, he was given Joe’s business card.

“My telephone number is on there if you ever need to call me. Don’t hesitate. I love you little buddy and want you to know I am here for you.”

Sean looked at Joe, smiled and then put the card in his shirt pocket.

Joe was unsettled and afterwards stopped by the rectory. He knocked on the door and waited for Thomas to answer. Before the door opened, he had removed his boots to be placed on the boot tray in the foyer. He then wrapped Thomas in his arms and kissed him.

“One drink and then I need to get home. These are long days for both of us. Luckily, my business slows down between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I basically am working full time on a Christmas pageant and in my free time doing emergency repair work for folks on the side. After New Year’s I am booked through April so I get to enjoy this time. This is the most fun I have had in years.”

Thomas knew that Joe was responsible for more than just helping. Joe’s enthusiasm and skills were driving everything forward. He was functioning as the producer but wouldn’t hear of such as title. Joe’s modesty of who he was and the gifts he shared wouldn’t allow that. He was totally self-effacing; there was no big ego that needed nurturing.

They went into the library where Thomas was opening a decanter of Scotch whisky. It was Joe’s preferred drink while Thomas tended to drink Gin and Tonic. Joe said it made him sick on his stomach to smell that stuff. They each took a drink, kissed and shared their liquors between them. Neither got sick on the stomach.

“Thomas, I am treading into unknown territory but I need to find out more about Sean. Something is not right. I know it with every fiber of my being. A bunch of these kids are poor but he is more than poor. There is something seriously wrong. Where do I start? What can I do?”

They talked strategy and Thomas promised to try to find out more information. Sean attended church by himself. Neither parent came. His mother had signed all of the permission slips for Sean to participate. Each time that Thomas would call to schedule a family visit, Sean’s mother had an excuse why it wasn’t convenient. Little was known about Sean.

“I gave him my card and told him to call me at any time if he needs help. Is that okay? I mean, I am volunteering for the church right now and I need to follow your rules.”

“Well, first thing after the holiday is over, we are going to have you complete the ‘Safe Church Training’ which specifies what you can and cannot do. You should not have driven Sean home tonight but I didn’t want that conversation with you when other people were around. There should always be at least one other person. Never let yourself be alone with a child. My bad, because I let it happen and I know better. Let’s approach this together. I am going to talk with Elaine to find out what she knows. He is a kid in need and he has identified you as someone he trusts.”

They finished their drinks and Joe started to make ready to leave. Thomas reached out and grabbed Joe’s arm.

“Joe, we also have to talk about us. We see each other every day. I like you more and more each time we are together but we aren’t doing things for us. Can we have a date night? I would enjoy it just being the two of us alone and not surrounded by thirty some kids.”

They decided that the week after Christmas they would go to dinner and then see a movie.

“Let me know which action flick you want to see.”

“Action flick?”

“Well, I am not going to see one of those poncey foreign language films like you watch.” They both grinned.

“Get out of here, big burly man. I love you and will see you tomorrow night.”

Joe stood there with a look of amazement on his face. Thomas said he loved him. Just as part of an ordinary conversation. No pretensions, no flirting that would lead to sex, no ulterior motive. Just an ordinary statement. Joe smiled.

“I love you too, my English lad.”

Joe and Thomas were both smiling when Joe put on his boots, turned on the outside lights and opened the door. Joe pulled Thomas onto the porch and kissed him for all of the world to see. They were both giddy as they parted.

The next day Joe got a call from Elaine with some information. Sean was an only child and his mother was a single parent and was not well. She had some type of chronic medical condition and was unable to work. Sean missed a lot of school because he too had some sort of medical problem. Elaine did not know what it was. Sean’s mother was very proud and very private. Elaine’s attempts to meet her were always deflected in a very gracious way. Joe thanked Elaine for the information and decided that he would continue to try to get information.

Everyone was pulling together for the big night. Christmas Eve was on Wednesday which forced Joe, Thomas and some of the bigger boys to put up the set after the Sunday service. Thomas locked the church doors after the service and said it was a “work space” until the pageant and no one except for cast and crew was allowed to enter the space. Bugboy had found a large scrim not being used at the theater and it was put over the set, in case someone came into the sanctuary. Jim had been rehearsing the choir in the church space so they could get used to time lag and echo. There were so many kids he had them scattered around the nave, in the balcony and even at the altar. The women in the church were kept extra busy making extra costumes. Not one of them complained because they knew they part of something special. Elaine went back to the fabric store and the manager gave extra material when she found out the number of kids involved in the pageant.

Jim called one of his friends, Chip, who was a percussionist and asked him to play for the pageant. In that big space it would help tremendously to have a rhythm section for the voices that were scattered near and far. Chip came to a rehearsal and decided to call in chits. Jim and Chip both frantically started writing charts for other instrumentalists. As their schedules allowed, the musicians would come in and watch rehearsals. The smiles on their faces were worth the added burden during their busy performance season. They were professional musicians and could work with minimal charts and rehearsal. Everyone involved was amazed at the generosity of people.

The night of the Christmas pageant, shepherds and sheep, borrowed from a farm west of Philadelphia, were in the narthex as people arrived. Thomas walked in and realized that one of the sheep had let loose with a big gas attack. People were affronted by the smell and then looked over to see lambs. The smell offended their sensibilities but the lambs warmed their hearts. The shepherds told the visitors this was what it would have smelled like when Jesus was born. There were a lot of people there who had never stepped foot in the church before. The kids had put posters all over the neighborhood and even had a radio station play ads for free. Thomas had arranged for the television station to interview a couple of kids. The sanctuary was packed and yet more people kept arriving.

When people walked into the nave they were stepping on straw. It clung to their pant legs. It clung to their hose. It was like they were walking through a stable. Some of the kids were poor beggars asking people for a warm place to put their heads for the night. They said it was cold in Bethlehem. They asked people if they could sit with them. They even asked if people had food they could share because they were on the way to Bethlehem and had run out of money and food. Many people didn’t know how to respond. The kids knew their characters and were enjoying acting and reacting with people. They especially like to beg. They thought that was fun. Most of them got a piece of candy or a stick of gum. A lamb started running up the center aisle closely followed by an Anatolian, a Turkish sheep dog, that was trying to get the lamb back to his mother. The large dog was followed by a young boy who was being pulled along by the dog’s leash. The boy stayed in character while some in the congregation snickered. When the lamb ran under a pew and between people’s legs, the boy knew he was in trouble. The lamb came out in the center aisle and the dog took off again pulling the boy along. The lad started laughing and the congregation joined in his glee.

The seats filled. As they were getting ready to start, a camera man from a television station appeared in the narthex and asked if he could film the production. Thomas was clear that he could if he didn’t use any artificial light and not cause any kind of disturbance. Thomas noted that the theater critic from the Philadelphia Inquirer was in the audience. Everyone was welcome but Thomas wondered why was the critic was in attendance. Thomas had never seen him in the church before. Thomas noticed a photographer in the side aisle.

There was standing room only and the kids were showing people where they could stand along the walls. Most people were happy to do so but a few complained. One little shepherd boy looked at a church matron who was complaining and said there was no room in the inn. He said Bethlehem was full because of the census. She was brought up short by these words from the mouth of a child. She shuffled off to stand along the wall.

The lights dimmed and a hush fell over the church as the small orchestra started playing. Some hummed along with the familiar tune. Sheep were being led into the nave by the shepherds. The sheep went wherever they wanted…after all, these were real sheep and not trained in theater. There was no attempt to make them actor sheep. Joe had promised Thomas that he would clean the church of any animal poop but that it was important that they do this the right way. The smell of the animals started filling the space. People were getting a sense of what it smelled like in a stable.

A spotlight came up on Sean who stood front and center on the steps leading to the chancel. Elaine had made him a cleric’s robe from the Elizabethan period. He had a starched white ruff around his neck. His natural inclination was to pick at it as the ruff rubbed his neck but he followed Bugboy’s direction and stood without moving. He took a deep breath, looked over to Joe, smiled and then started reciting the Christmas story from the Gospel of Luke. When he finished, he walked down the chancel steps and over to where Joe was working the light board. Sean sat beside him and put his hand on Joe’s thigh and then leaned into him. Slowly the actors started pulling the scrim off the set piece as the lights came up. The actors were all in costume and they looked like shop keepers opening their stores for the day. There were gasps from the audience because the set was so beautiful. The use of rich colors enhanced with gold paint and then layered with lacquer gave the set an old-world feeling. Bugboy had guided Joe to create a lighting schema that enhanced the beauty of the set.

The drummer started with a rhythm track and the town of Bethlehem came alive. The space filled with dancers and vendors and singers. There was even a whirling dervish. This was a real place. People were selling and bartering. Country folk were entering the town from the side aisles and transepts. The entire nave became the town of Bethlehem. People were being turned away from the inn. People were drunk and lying in the gutter. The sheep were baaing and a calf was mooing. Joe smiled when the Anatolian started barking and everything quieted down. Perhaps one of the animals was trained. The sun began to set on the town of Bethlehem and a crescent moon and twinkling stars appeared above.

The congregation heard the noise before they could see anything. It was the clop-clop of horses from outside. One person turned and then another and then another. Soon all of the people were standing looking out through the Great West Doors. City policemen and horses were lined up facing each other and walking through the avenue they had created was a donkey with a young woman riding. A man held the lead as the donkey came up a hastily secured ramp into the narthex. While Joseph and Mary waited in the narthex, the horses peeled off and disappeared into the city night. Joseph then rubbed the donkey’s head; told him it was not much further to Bethlehem and they started walking up the aisle. People stood in awe while Mary and Joseph approached Bethlehem. When Joseph helped Mary down from the donkey, the people quietly sat. Mary yelped in pain and the congregation gasped. They could see the pain on her face and the fear in Joseph’s eyes. The singers quietly sang a reworked hymn. People knew they knew the tune but it was different and yet underscored the scene so as to not be distracting. The kids had taught the old choirmaster a thing or two about using music in a play. The town’s people slowly faded into shadows as the inn keeper belligerently told Joseph there was no room in the inn. A sheep mournfully bleated at that moment and the angst could be felt by everyone.

An old looking man offered to let the couple bed down in his barn. Joseph tied the donkey to a rail and helped Mary into a comfortable position. As the light dimmed on the cattle stall the choir chanted a lullaby. The choir members were placed throughout the church and had on angel wings. Each of singers had lights attached to their belts that illuminated their wings. It felt like throngs of angels had filled the space. The song was interrupted by the gasp of pain from Mary. People could feel the final push as she delivered the baby. Joseph was ecstatic that he had a son. He danced in front of the set. The orchestra was in full joyful mood as the clarinet soared and klezmer music filled the church. Joseph was joined by other boys who danced with him. They were celebrating. The town was alive with music and dancing while the stall lay in shadow. After dancing, Joseph bought milk and bread from a vendor and as the stall was illuminated the congregation could see Mary and Joseph eating with a newborn child lying in the manger. People swore it was a real child though Bugboy had put his theater training to use and created an animatronic baby that would move and cry on cue. Daylight ended and the Star of the East rose in the sky so that it was directly over the stable. Joseph and Mary were talking about completing the census and returning to Nazareth where they lived. The set went dark.

Sean was in a spotlight again as he talked about the Star in the East. The space filled with music and singing as he continued his narration. The clash of cymbals filled the narthex and a cacophony of music was outside the Great West Doors. Again, the policemen and their horses were lined in an avenue through which the Three Kings appeared. There was a horde of swirling dancers around them as they handed off a camel to his keeper. The congregation was on its feet trying not to miss anything happening. Instead of using the children from the congregation for the part of the Kings, Bugboy had asked friends who were opera singers to join the pageant. The basso voice of the first king sent shivers down the spines of those assembled. He made his servants bow to him. They prostrated themselves until their bodies were on the ground. He was majestic. The congregation bowed as each King walked up the aisle. The robes were magnificent and reflected the light; Elaine’s sewing team was glowing with pride. As the third King came into the Nave, a Thurifer was in front of him swinging an incense boat filled with Myrrh. The smoke filled the air. When he approached the cradle, he incensed the entire stall filling it with holy smoke. The Kings presented their gifts to the Christ Child and the congregation. The three of them then sang a loud Hallelujah. The kids then joined in and sang an updated, street version of the “Hallelujah Chorus.” It was hip-hop and Joe still wasn’t sure he liked it but the kids were tearing it up. Some of the gymnastic kids were doing cartwheels down the center aisle. One boy jumped from the balcony into the aisle and then rolled and twirled as he approached the stall. There were angels singing in the loft with their wings lit. Everyone in the cast and crew had a role in performing this song. Even Joe sang along as he sat at the light board. Sean sat beside him smiling and singing. People were twisting and turning in their seats not wanting to miss anything. They loved the version and the orchestra and organ were going full blast. Even Jim was smiling as he wailed away at the keyboard. The congregation stood in unison and were clapping along with the kids. When the song finished, the Kings and actors bowed toward Jesus. The congregation followed their lead. The Kings then warned Joseph that he needed to leave for Egypt because Herod was looking for Jesus. The audience could feel the tension as Joseph and Mary pondered what to do. Instead of returning down the center aisle, the Kings turned to the South transept and departed Bethlehem using a different route. The audience gasped when the three stood at the closed door, turned and bowed to Jesus; when the doors opened a camel was standing there to take them back from whence they came. Quiet filled the space. The organist started the introduction to Silent Night and then a harpist played the song with the congregation singing along. They couldn’t help themselves. It was supposed to be just instrumental but people felt compelled to sing. They were caught up in the narrative. They were more than mere observers. This was followed by absolute silence.

There was only one light on in the sanctuary. It was Joseph helping Mary and the Christ Child onto the donkey. In the dark a sign had been placed near the altar. It was a directional sign to Egypt. As the lights dimly came up, Joseph led the donkey across the chancel in front of the altar and they stood at the door to the sacristy. A spotlight shone on them and caught the anguish in their faces before all of the lights slowly dimmed.

Borrowing from Leonard Bernstein’s “Mass,” Thomas stood in a spotlight circle on the floor in front of the altar, outstretched his arms and said, “The service is ended, go in peace.”

The lights slowly came up as people started to stand. They didn’t know whether to leave in silence or to cheer. When they quietly walked out of the Great West Doors they were confronted with a phalanx of policemen on horses and beyond them were all of the actors and animals. The roar of approval from the people outside could be heard in the cold night air several blocks away.

As soon as they could, the cast and crew started dismantling the set, raking the hay, and using incense to override the smell of animals. There was a midnight Mass and the church had to be ready by 10 pm when people started arriving. They all knew their tasks and efficiently put things away. The following week they would come together to celebrate and store things properly for the next year.

But tonight, Joe had arranged a feast at the Rectory for everyone involved in the production. He talked to some people he had met from his Saturday mornings at the coffee shop and they said they would arrange for food delivery and service. Joe gave them a budget and they agreed with that amount of money no one would leave hungry. Joe had told Thomas about the party, said it was a gift from him, but would not give him any particulars just that it was taken care of. Most of the people at the party had not been in the Rectory before. They thought it was beautiful as they moved from room to room. Thomas’ family furniture made it a gracious setting. A twelve-foot tree stood in the front parlor waiting to be decorated. Boxes of decorations were placed around the room. A jazz combo played in a corner of the dining room. They had selected Christmas tunes and allowed some of the cast to try out their singing voices. The kids jammed and enjoyed themselves. Hearty food was strategically placed in each room. The bar was staffed by a handsome waiter in a tuxedo who was making festive drinks for everyone. Of course, they were all fruit juice or soda but they looked like grown up drinks. The kids loved it.

People moved through the front parlor and hung decorations on the tree. Thelma Whitehurst, a member of the Vestry had appointed herself as overseer for tree decorating so it would meet her standards. Thomas simply laughed and thanked her for taking on the task. Sean was at Joe’s side the entire time as they moved from room to room chatting with folks.

Thomas had to get ready for the next service. He grabbed Joe and pulled him into the kitchen. He hoped they could have a quick kiss without too many people knowing. Just as their lips touched, they heard clapping. The jazz combo started playing “Falling in Love with Love.” Then people started cheering. Joe’s ruddy Scottish complexion turned a bright red as he tucked his head into Thomas shoulder. They felt a tug and Sean was holding onto their coat tails. Joe picked him up and he kissed both Thomas and Joe on their cheeks.

As Thomas was heading out the back door, Joe grabbed him and looked into his eyes.

“Tonight is the night.”

Thomas didn’t understand. Joe looked him square in the eyes.

“Tonight is the night for us to make love for the first time.”

Thomas caught his breath and said it would be the quickest Christmas Eve service on record. As he was running across the church close, he was heard yelling, “yippee.”

Joe stood at the back door and smiled. He went back inside and announced that since the boss had left, they could celebrate until the wee, small hours of the night. The party didn’t last that much longer though because the cast and crew were exhausted. They had put in an incredible amount of time and had a physical let down after the show. Bugboy got everyone’s attention and announced that he just had a call from a New York producer who wanted the show to open on Broadway. Everyone laughed and cheered. On a more serious note, he said it had been the most fun he had in theater in years and that everyone in the room should have an equity card because they were so good. He thanked Elaine for her graciousness in allowing him to help with the show. People were cheering Elaine. He let her bask in the glow of the production and rightly so because she didn’t have to let him direct. When she turned it over to him, she supported him one hundred percent. It was a fortuitous collaboration for everyone.

Bugboy said he would give Sean a ride home and Joe thanked him but said there had to be two people. Elaine laughed and said he must have taken the Safe Church training. Joe grinned. Elaine and Bill said they would take him home. Sean pulled Joe down for a hug and didn’t want to let go.

“You have my card, my darling boy. I will see you soon but if ever you need me you are to call me. Do you understand? I will be there anytime.”

Sean smiled through his tears and told Joe he loved him. Joe then handed Sean a Christmas present from he and Thomas. It was a pair of pants and a shirt - something practical. They didn’t want to embarrass him or for him to think a present was required in return. Joe and Sean hugged one last time before Sean left.

The catering crew made quick work of the clean-up. They had estimated right and there was little to be packed. The musicians were packing their cases and Thelma was putting the last of the ornaments on the tree. Joe asked her if she would like some sherry and her eyes lit up like the lights on the tree. He prepared her a glass while he poured himself two fingers of whisky. They sat in the library and had a pleasant conversation. She wanted to know more about him. Joe thought it important that he present himself in the best possible light because she could be an ally when Thomas presented his case to the Vestry. Thelma reached out and touched his arm.

“I can see how much you and Thomas love each other. Don’t let him go much longer before you make him yours. He is afraid that some people will say no, but I can assure you I will be working the phone lines starting after Christmas. The two of you make a great team. Just be thankful you aren’t a woman because then you would have to join all the women’s groups in the parish and sit on the front row and wear a hat and gloves every Sunday. However, I need to say there are more pews than the one in the back. I would love for you to sit with me and Jimmy. Would you do that for us? Would you do that for you and Thomas?”

Joe was caught up in his emotions that this elderly lady had made this generous offer. He reached out and gently held her hand while he nodded his head. She leaned over and hugged him. He could smell her old lady powder and the scent of the lotion from the manicurist.

She said it was past time for her to go home but she wanted one last look at the tree. They both stood in the archway between the foyer and the parlor and smiled at the beautiful tree. The boys put away the ladder after she had directed their placing ornaments on the upper branches. She also had the boxes taken down to the basement. Joe walked her to her car and waited until she started it and drove down the street. He looked into the dark night sky and was thankful for the gifts of love that had been given to him.

Thomas arrived home to find Joe asleep on the sofa in the library. The fire had been banked, the lights dimmed and a quilt was covering his man. Thomas leaned down and kissed his forehead. Joe awoke smiling. They brushed their teeth and walked into the master bedroom. Thomas started putting on his pajamas while Joe was stripping off all of his clothes. They both stood and laughed. Thomas quickly dispensed with the pajamas and the two men got to fully see each other for the first time. Thomas could barely breath at seeing Joe’s broad, hairy chest. Joe looked at Thomas and saw the perfect physical specimen. They were both excited.

Instead of frenetic grappling it was sweet and gentle love making. They both knew this was the first time of many yet to come. There was lots of passion without hurry. They fell into a deep sleep. They were wrapped in each other’s arms when they heard the doorbell chime. It was just past four o’clock in the morning. Who would be ringing the doorbell? It sounded again. Thomas put on his robe and went downstairs to find a policeman standing at the door.

“Excuse me Father, would you know the whereabouts of a Mr. Joseph McKendry?”

“Yes, he is staying here tonight. May I ask what this is about?”

“A young boy named Sean McDaniel has been trying to call him. Sean gave me Mr. McKendry’s business card and when he didn’t answer his phone Sean said he might be here.”

Joe was walking down the steps and asked the policeman if he knew what was wrong.

“The boy’s mother is in the emergency room. It is unclear whether she will make it through the night or not. The boy is all alone and is asking for you.”

“Which hospital? We’re getting dressed. Let him know we will be there as soon as we can.”

“Father, I will be happy to drive you. I can turn on my squallers and we will get there fast.”

Both men ran upstairs and dressed. Out of habit, Thomas grabbed his chrism oil, communion kit and stole. He didn’t know what he would be facing.

They jumped in the back seat of the police car and had a quick ride to the hospital. Joe had grabbed Thomas’ hand and could not let it go. The lights and squallers were working their magic as cars cleared out of the way on the cold, clear night. As the police car was pulling up to the emergency room doors, Joe opened the car door, took off and ran into the lobby. He couldn’t wait for the others. Sean was sitting all alone in a plastic chair. Joe ran across the lobby, then dropped to his knees and slid up to chair where Sean was sitting. Sean threw himself into Joe’s arms.

“I tried to call you; I really did try.”

“I know, my son. I got here as soon as I could. Thank you for asking the policeman for help.” Both were crying.

Thomas immediately went back into the clinic area where he found Sean’s mother, Mary Agnes. He was struck by her emaciated appearance. She couldn’t be as old as she looked. Thomas leaned over and told her who he was. Her eyes opened and she smiled.

“You are the priest who is so kind to my son. Is your husband here with you to see after my Sean?”

Thomas couldn’t say those words so he nodded his head. He asked if she wanted communion? She said yes, but she wasn’t ready to die so not to do last rites. Thomas asked the nurse to get Joe and Sean so they could have communion together. Joe came in with Sean holding his hand. Sean looked scared and would not let loose of Joe’s hand. Thomas had set up his communion kit on a rolling bed table. He asked Sean to sit on the edge of the bed and to hold his mother’s hand. Sean sat and pulled Joe next to him.

When Thomas communed them he placed the wafer on Mary Agnes’ tongue, he did the same for Sean and his hand was shaking when he placed the wafer on Joe’s tongue. This was the first time he had given communion to Joe. They looked at each other and then Joe said “Amen.” Thomas then took the cup of wine and used a small spoon to place wine in Mary Agnes’ mouth. He watched as she swallowed. He held the cup to Sean’s mouth and he took a sip. When he lifted it to Joe’s mouth, Joe took his hands and wrapped them around Thomas’. After sipping the wine, Joe leaned in and kissed Thomas on the mouth. Joe thought of it as a blessing of he and Thomas and their love for each other.

They sat in the quiet hearing only the noises from the breathing machine. Eventually a doctor came in and said they were admitting Mary Agnes for observation. They accompanied her to a room where she promptly fell asleep. The doctor looked at Thomas and said it was touch and go this time. Thomas nodded. The doctor then looked at Joe and said his wife wouldn’t survive many more of the episodes. Joe asked the doctor what he was talking about. The doctor said that Mary Agnes had listed him as Sean’s father on the admission paper work and he assumed they were still married. Joe stood there not knowing what to say so he was quiet.

“I think she will be asleep until after lunch. You can come back then. You need some rest also. She will be here a couple of days.”

Thomas, Joe and Sean walked into the lobby of the emergency room and were about to ask that a cab be called to take them back to the rectory when they saw the same policeman waiting for them.

“Father, I heard about the beautiful pageant you did last night and the sergeant said for me to stay here until you were ready to go home. It made our department proud that you asked us to participate in the pageant. We got more goodwill from that pageant than we have gotten all year. You honored us in unimaginable ways and we want to honor you.” He smiled, “I am hungry, let me take you to breakfast. I am starved and I think Sean is also.” Sean grinned at the man.

The policeman drove them to a Waffle House. Sean ate a huge breakfast while leaning into Joe who had no appetite and slid his plate in front of Sean. Sean laughed and said that food should not go to waste. Joe was amazed at the amount of food that Sean could consume. The sun was up as they pulled in front of the rectory.

“Did you bring the housekeys, Joe?”

“No, did you Thomas?”

They both started laughing. The patrolman made them promise not to tell anyone what he was getting ready to do. He disappeared over the wall into the church close and the next they saw of him he was opening their front door from the inside.

“Gentlemen, I am coming by next week to talk to you about a security system. That was too easy. Have a Merry Christmas.”

“Have a blessed Christmas, officer. Thank you for everything you did for us tonight.”

They wandered through the house and turned on the Christmas tree lights. There were several packages under the tree waiting to be opened. Joe had given Sean the package from them so there was nothing under the tree for him. They weren’t going to open their packages when he had nothing.

Thomas said they all needed to shower and get ready for the 9 a.m. service. Joe and Sean looked at him like he was crazy.

“It will be a small congregation and I need your assistance. Any questions? We are three amigos and will do this together.”

They all headed to showers. Sean only had the clothes he had worn the night before but Joe promised to take him to his apartment in the afternoon to pick up clothes and things he would need while he stayed with them. Stay with them? Joe was startled that he was planning to live with Thomas? The statement just poured out of his mouth without thinking. He had some serious thinking to do. He smiled at Sean.

“Afterall, it appears I am your dad now.”

Sean’s grin almost split his face.

They showered, dressed and were in the sacristy when Thelma came in. She was surprised to see the three of them and looked at Sean with a wondering gaze. She asked Father Thomas to help her with something at the altar. He knew it was a ruse. She quizzed him about why Sean was with them. Thomas explained the situation with Mary Agnes and that it was Christmas Day and the boy had no presents under the tree and he didn’t know what to do.

“Let Santa Claus take care of it, Father. You do still believe in Santa Claus, don’t you?”

Thomas laughed and said he would always be a believer. Thelma smiled and said she needed to finish some Altar Guild work.

Joe was kitted out in a cassock and surplice as was Sean. They were given instructions and Thomas promised to prompt them during the service when certain things needed to be done.

They climbed down the stairs from the Sacristy and walked across the undercroft and came up a set of stairs in the Narthex. Joe helped Sean steady the processional cross. It was top heavy and he was a small boy. Sean smiled and said he had it under control. People kept coming into the doors which surprised Thomas. He was expecting just a few parishioners. Thomas saw the Bishop walk in and was even more rattled. They spoke briefly with the Bishop asking if Thomas had seen the morning paper? Thomas said he had not. The Bishop handed him a copy. The top half of the front page was a photograph of the set; it looked like a Renaissance painting. A picture of Sean was included in the article as the boy artist who had painted the set. There was also a poignant picture of Joseph, Mary and the Baby Jesus leaving for Egypt. The photographer was masterful in understanding composition and lighting. The Bishop then said there was a wonderful review of the pageant in the Arts Section written by the paper’s theater critic.

“Good work, my boy. Good work.”

When Jim started playing the opening hymn Sean led the three of them up the center aisle. They all operated on instinct. When it was time for the Gospel reading, Thomas reverenced the altar, picked up the Gospel Book, grabbed Sean by the hand and they walked down the aisle together. Thomas knelt down in the aisle and opened the book for Sean to see. He quickly pointed to the passage to be read. It was the same scripture Sean had proclaimed the night before. In a clear voice, Sean read the Gospel from Luke about Christmas. He barely had to look at the lectionary because he had memorized it for the pageant. He caught the Bishop’s eye and he was smiling. When he finished, Thomas stood and together they walked back to the altar. He depended on Sean to lead them because his eyes were full of tears. Thomas had not seen the Bishop’s reaction and decided if he objected to the boy reading the gospel lesson then let him bring it on. They bowed and then Sean took his seat. Sean gave Joe a thumbs up and smiled as Thomas climbed into the pulpit.

The three of them stood in the Narthex as people exited. Then, the most amazing thing happened. Mary Louise Edwards said to Thomas that by mistake she had cooked too many vegetable casseroles and would be bringing one by for them to have for lunch. Next, Edna Jenkins said she had ordered too many dinner rolls from the bakery and would be bringing a dozen over in a short while. Mr. George Whitmore, said he didn’t know how it happened but he thought he ordered one roasted goose for Christmas and the butcher brought him two. He said he would be bringing one by for them to eat. On and on it went. There was a steady procession of vehicles stopping by the rectory all morning. Everyone wanted to quickly drop things off and then hurry home.

The last to arrive was Thelma accompanied by Santa Claus. He had a bag full of games, clothes and art books that an eighth- grader might like. Sean was overwhelmed and kept crawling into Joe’s lap sniffling at the bounty. He had never seen so many gifts in his short life. There were presents for Mary Agnes also. The big Scotsman could barely control his emotions. Thomas stood behind them with a hand on Joe’s shoulder. Santa finished and said it had been a long night circling the globe and wondered if they might have a bite of food for him to eat. He said he especially like roasted goose. Then Thelma’s husband removed his hat and beard, hugged everyone and wished them a Merry Christmas.

 

Copyright © 2019 Mac Rountree; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 14
  • Love 32
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

4 hours ago, mayday said:

What a wonderful twist to the story! I certainly did not expect such an introduction to Sean. So heartwarming. So - simply - good. Thank you for sharing this with us. It tells us so much about Joe, too. All good.

Thank you for sharing this background story with us!

Mayday,

Sean is an incredible sweet, gifted boy.  Joe is an incredibly sweet marshmallow of a man under his exterior.  They are a perfect match for being together as father and son.  Glad you enjoyed the chapter.....there is more to their story........

Thank you for reading the story.

Mac

  • Like 5
Link to comment

I just came across this story a few hours ago. Read the 10 chapters in a sit. What a joy Mac RounTree.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
9 hours ago, ColumbusGuy said:

I wasn't sure about this story when I started it because the main character was a priest, but I'm glad I stuck with it.  This chapter is like a sweet reward for taking a chance on the unknown, and feeling that special joy that comes from finding your place in the world after a long search.

Eager for more....

Columbus Guy,

I am glad that you stuck with the story.  I am glad you feel that the result was a sweet reward.  

More chapters coming.  There is much more to the stories of these characters.

Mac

  • Like 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Tonyr said:

I just came across this story a few hours ago. Read the 10 chapters in a sit. What a joy Mac RounTree.

Tonyr,

I am so happy that you came across the story.  I am pleased that you were able to read the first 10 chapters in one sitting.  Good on you.

Mac

  • Like 3
Link to comment
5 minutes ago, Mac Rountree said:

Tonyr,

I am so happy that you came across the story.  I am pleased that you were able to read the first 10 chapters in one sitting.  Good on you.

Mac

My pleasure  'Mac'! Can hardly wait for more. 

When is the next one coming up?

Have a nice day.

 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Dear Starboardtack,

I don't know if authors should cry while writing or reading their own work, but like you, I cried when reading the chapter.  You have given me the ultimate compliment.  Thank you for your gift of responding to my writing.  Writers crave the feedback from readers.

BTW, there are a few more tears yet to be shed.

Mac

  • Like 3
Link to comment
51 minutes ago, Tonyr said:

My pleasure  'Mac'! Can hardly wait for more. 

When is the next one coming up?

Have a nice day.

 

 

 

Tonyr,

The next chapter will be out in a few days....possibly Saturday/Sunday.  I have finished the book except for some editing.  

I now have extra time for editing because a concert I was preparing for will probably be cancelled.  I should know by the end of the day.

Stay safe.

Mac

  • Like 2
Link to comment
17 minutes ago, Mac Rountree said:

Tonyr,

The next chapter will be out in a few days....possibly Saturday/Sunday.  I have finished the book except for some editing.  

I now have extra time for editing because a concert I was preparing for will probably be cancelled.  I should know by the end of the day.

Stay safe.

Mac

Are you a musician also?

Sorry about the concert. (let me know).

Thanks.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I have to add something which only occurred to me after writing my first comment: You know, these heart warming scenes from the past are a welcome respite from the cruelty and blindness of Mark's present situation with his birth family. Although I need to find out how Mark and his children will find a new and much closer and far more loving family with Joe and Thomas, these flashbacks provide the groundwork to what is to come, how much love and openness Thomas and Joe have and will be willing to share. I am convinced that the backstory to Mark's family would sound very different...

Edited by mayday
  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Tonyr said:

Are you a musician also?

Sorry about the concert. (let me know).

Thanks.

Tonyr,

I am a musician.  I am a classically trained singer but it is an avocation now.  My vocal chords were injured in 2005 from a bout of misdiagnosed adult pertussis.  All of the coughing injured my vocal chords and I wasn't able to sing again until 2012.  Even then, what came out was fairly limited.  I have spent time since then rebuilding my ability to sing.  I can sing now but it is not solo quality so I sing with a vocal group.  It brings great enjoyment.  I had a 30 year medical career and singing was always secondary.

The pandemic is getting very real and people are taking what they believe are appropriate precautions.  I agree with what they are doing.  

Many thanks.

Mac

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
20 minutes ago, mayday said:

I have to add something which only occurred to me after writing my first comment: You know, these heart warming scenes from the past are a welcome respite from the cruelty and blindness of Mark's present situation with his birth family. Although I need to find out how Mark and his children will find a new and much closer and far more loving family with Joe and Thomas, these flashbacks provide the groundwork to what is to come, how much love and openness Thomas and Joe have and will be willing to share. I am convinced that the backstory to Mark's family would sound very different...

Mayday,

You are absolutely right.  The life of Thomas and Joe prepare them for helping Mark and kids.  There are many parallels between 1988 and 2019.  

I learned a new quote in class last night:  "The whole wide world is a very narrow bridge and the most important thing of all is not to fear."   Rabbi Nachman of Breslev.  I love that quote.  All of the characters have to walk that narrow bridge and be fearless.  Some do it easier than others.  

Thank you for your insight and comments.  

Mac

 

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I absolutely love this story!  There is depth, reflection, challenging thoughts, and love embedded throughout!  I love that there is spirituality as part and parcel of the love story.  Thank you so much for sharing this talent!  As a long time choir member, I appreciate your insight into singing and its place in enhancing experience.  As part of the total dramatic experience, it brings us into the realm of the transcendent.  Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!

Tony

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment
2 hours ago, pvtguy said:

I absolutely love this story!  There is depth, reflection, challenging thoughts, and love embedded throughout!  I love that there is spirituality as part and parcel of the love story.  Thank you so much for sharing this talent!  As a long time choir member, I appreciate your insight into singing and its place in enhancing experience.  As part of the total dramatic experience, it brings us into the realm of the transcendent.  Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!

Tony

Tony,

THANK YOU.  I am so humbled by your comments.  You identified the qualities I hoped would be illuminated through this story.  All of these characters, especially Belinda, are on spiritual journeys.   I am now including spirituality in all of my writing as I continue on my journey.  Performing music takes us into a different dimension that allows us to touch the soul of others.  BTW, Mark joins the Chapel Choir at Duke where he meets someone which then leads to an intimate relationship.  

Thank you for being a reader and sending your comments.  They both affirm and challenge my efforts at being a storyteller.  You gave me a great gift today.

Mac

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Thank you, Mac,

for the quote you share. "The whole wide world is a very narrow bridge and the most important thing of all is not to fear." What a fitting image. instead of seeing a sea of troubles I will focus on the very narrow bridge and trust it to leave part of them behind. One step at a time. That is how I get through today these days! And your story provides a light ahead, too.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

So many others said what I am thinking, and said it clearly. I thank them for putting my thoughts into words.This chapter touched me on many levels. In spite of my ambivalence toward God and church, the Christmas story from Luke always gives me goosebumps. I enjoyed reading about how Sean came to be with Joe and Thomas. I was intrigued with chapter one, but this story just gets better and better! Thanks. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
8 hours ago, JeffreyL said:

So many others said what I am thinking, and said it clearly. I thank them for putting my thoughts into words.This chapter touched me on many levels. In spite of my ambivalence toward God and church, the Christmas story from Luke always gives me goosebumps. I enjoyed reading about how Sean came to be with Joe and Thomas. I was intrigued with chapter one, but this story just gets better and better! Thanks. 

JeffreyL,

The story from Luke is one of my favorites.  I am so pleased you connected with this chapter.  

Joe found his son and Sean found his daddy and papa.  What a great combination.  

Thank you for reading the story and these men.

Mac

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..