Jump to content
    Mac Rountree
  • Author
  • 3,451 Words
  • 2,845 Views
  • 19 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Divine Intervention - 13. A Moving Day

August 2019

 

Robert didn’t understand why they had to move. Mark was very circumspect about the details. It was a small town and the rumors were already rampant. He didn’t want his children to tell anyone and he knew that their friends would be asking. Mark said they were going to live in an old mill by the river and how cool that was going to be. When they went to see it both Army and Robert were fascinated by the old building. They could hear water rushing under the floor and the turning of the paddlewheel. Joe had spent a lot of time restoring the paddlewheel. Mark told them stories about the purpose of the mill and the factories along the Eno river that depended on water power before there was electricity. They each claimed loft areas for their bedrooms. Mark told them that their old furniture would not work in the mill and that he and Joe were building them new furniture from some old lumber that was stored in the mill. They were excited when Joe showed them the renderings of their bedroom furniture. Mark had the downstairs bedroom for his own. The rest of the space was open. Joe had built a stone fireplace in one end of the mill. The firebox was extra-large so they could build roaring fires without the threat of burning the building to the ground, or the river, as was the case for part of the mill. Joe had put in large windows overlooking the river. They could always see the running water and wildlife that lived along the waterway. The space was ancient but felt remarkably new and modern.

Robert and Army had packed boxes with their most cherished possessions. Mark told them about storing things until they moved into a new house in the future. He said it would be a new start for them and they could pretend they were part of a wagon train heading west to start a new life. Mark had checked out books from the library on the life of pioneers. He read them to the kids as they started mentally constructing what their lives would be. Mark said they could sit on the river bank and fish and go wading. He romanticized the new house to convince the kids but also himself. This very easily could have been one more stab to his heart from which he might never recover but he had decided that he had support to make it a new beginning. Joe and Thomas continued to use positive speak with Mark which was then parroted to Army and Robert. Maybe it worked and maybe it didn’t. Time would tell.

It was moving day and Robert didn’t feel well. He lay on a cot in the bedroom where he had grown up and a tear ran down his cheek. He knew it was an important day for his dad and sister but he felt that once again he was forgotten in the new dynamics of the family. Why did they have to move? Why today? All his father talked about was the new house, cowboys, and being pioneers. He wanted to live in this house where he had lived all of his life. He felt safe in his bedroom even though all of his furniture had been removed. He couldn’t figure out why his father wouldn’t tell him the real reason why they had to move. He sniffled and felt totally sorry for himself. He was a nobody in the family now. Maybe he should start wearing dresses and then his father might pay attention to him. Maybe Uncle Joe would adopt him and he could live with Joe and Thomas. He hated what his life had become. He was openly crying at that point. He hated his life. Why did it have to be like this? Robert closed his eyes trying to block out the pain. He just wanted to curl up in a ball and die. Maybe then someone would pay attention to him.

He suddenly felt himself flying through the air. How was that possible?

“Happy birthday, Robert. Happy, happy birthday son!!!”

Robert realized his father had picked him up and was carrying him down the stairs of the house. At the bottom stood Belinda, Thomas and Joe. They were all singing Happy Birthday to him. Thomas noticed that Robert had been crying. He had wondered how Robert was coping with all of these changes and now he had a better idea. Not very well apparently. He would talk to Mark.

The dining room table was still in the house and in the middle was a big chocolate cake with candles on it. They were lit and he was told to make a wish. He looked at the others in the room and realized that they all loved him. Maybe life wasn’t too bad, after all. But he still felt like his no one ever asked him what he wanted or needed. There were presents stacked at one end of the table. Maybe life would be okay after all. Maybe.

After eating cake, drinking punch and opening presents Mark told Robert to look outside where there was a new bike. It was the coolest bike he had ever seen. A smile broke across his face and he hugged his dad.

“I love you, dad. Thank you for remembering it was my birthday.”

“I love you, Skippy. You are so important in my life so I will never forget your birthday. I love you so much.” Robert hugged onto his father’s neck and realized that maybe he had been wrong in his earlier thinking. If felt very real at the time though.

Robert jumped on the bike and started riding up and down the street. He waved at everyone he saw and told them he had a new bike for his birthday.

At the house, final decisions were being made.

“Is there anything else you want to take from the house?”

Joe looked at Mark.

“I bought all of the appliances and they are fairly new. They go.”

Thomas discreetly coughed. Mark and Joe turned and looked at him.

“Joe and I have purchased new appliances for the Mill House. If you leave these here, you will not have an argument with your father about taking something that he might think is his.”

Mark was hot. “They are not his. I fucking paid for them. Why should I leave them? The son of a bitch.”

Thomas stood in silence. Joe stood back and watched the scene unfold. Mark’s countenance slowly moved from total anger to intense thinking to acceptance of what Thomas said. His body crumbled. He then sniffled, straightened his back, and looked at Thomas.

“I apologize for cursing. You are right. A stove and refrigerator are not worth a fight. I will not reduce myself to his level. Thank you for helping me understand what is important in my life moving forward. I have my children and they are more important than some stupid refrigerator.”

They went through the house and, of the things that were still there, they identified what was being taken, what was being given away and what was being left. Mark knew his mother would lay claim to everything she had ever given to him and Linda. So be it. It was stacked on a table in the house. He had already taken what she had given the children to the Mill House. He wouldn’t deprive them. Everything to be moved was labeled and ready to be put on the trucks.

After it was agreed that Mark and the kids would move into the house, Joe had suggested that Mark put everything in storage except for their personal belongings and they would build furniture for the house. Mark had pondered that for a few seconds, smiled and said it was the perfect break with the past as they created a new life. Mark said he no longer needed the burden of all of the antique furniture. He had a spark in his eyes thinking of Frank Lloyd Wright designs. He and Joe had sketched out designs for some contemporary furniture that would fit into the house. Joe had all of the tools needed for furniture making and Mark had helped to build their new furniture. He understood he was studying under a master craftsman. They put their heads together and Thomas smiled as he pondered that Joe was building a relationship with another son. He was passing his knowledge and skills to another generation. This has been their lives with many young men through the years.

The moving day was relatively easy. When the last box had been put in Joe and Mark’s trucks, Thomas gathered everyone and said it was time to say goodbye to the house. Thomas had borrowed a processional cross from the church and he had Robert carry the cross as he led them from room to room. Thomas asked Mark, Robert and Belinda to say something good about each room as they thanked the house for letting them live there. Only good memories were allowed. Robert and Belinda had silly remembrances of some of the rooms. They were giggling which made the adults do the same. They had good memories to take with them. When they got to the storage closet where Mark had stored all of Linda’s possessions, he hesitated trying to remember something good. He usually thought of that closet as a bad memory. Mark opened the door, turned on the light, and started talking to Linda.

“The kids and I are moving. We have a great house on the river. You know that Belinda discovered you here. You already know that Army is Belinda. Robert is growing and strong. I love them and know that you would too. I promise that we are going to be alright. You would love Joe and Thomas. We need you to move with us. I don’t know how you do that, but you were always the clever one and could figure things out when no one else could. Belinda has taken all of your jewelry to the new house. Robert has your hiking boots because they will fit him before too long. Joe framed pictures of you that we are putting in Robert and Belinda’s bedrooms. Our wedding picture is already hanging in my new bedroom. I am taking your loving memory. I don’t need “things” because you are still in my heart. We had a good time here and I will always think of you when I think of this house. See you soon in the new house.”

Both Belinda and Robert told Linda they would see her in the new house and that they loved her.

All of a sudden the light bulb in the closet went out. It was as if Linda was vacating the property also. Robert moved to his father’s side. Thomas smiled and told Linda that it was good that she was moving with them. Thomas asked Mark, Robert and Belinda to close the door while holding hands. They did as Thomas instructed.

Thomas said a prayer for the many good things and times that had occurred in the house and told them it was time to leave. As they exited, Thomas marked the door with the sign of the cross. He had an envelope that was addressed to Mark’s parents. Mark put the house keys in the envelope and sealed it shut. Thomas said it was important for Mark to take it to the post office. Thomas knew that was a way for Mark to seal the past and open himself to the future.

Robert wanted to ride his bicycle to the new house. Thomas and Belinda walked beside Robert as they went from their old home to the Mill House. It was important for the children to experience moving forward on their own. They weren’t riding with their dad but taking each step or pedaling on their own.

When they arrived at the Mill House, Thomas gathered them in front of the house. He had Joe prop a ladder against the door lintel. In chalk he wrote 20+C+M+B+19. He then said a prayer of welcome to the new house.

“Uncle Thomas what does that mean?”

“Well, Robert, on the Day of Epiphany or when you move into a new house you mark the entrance with the year, which is 2019 and the letters C,M and B which stand for Caspar, Melchior, and Balthasar, who were the three Kings who brought Jesus gold, frankincense and myrrh. It also means Christus mansionem benedicat which means “may Christ bless this home.” It is an ancient tradition in Europe, less so in the United States. Let’s make it a tradition from now on. Maybe each of us can write a letter of numbers on Epiphany. Does that sound okay with you?”

Thomas told Mark to open the door and lead his two children into their new home. Joe and Thomas followed. Thomas then sprinkled water in each room and on each person. The kids giggled and asked why he was spraying them with water. He said he had collected the water from the river and blessed it. The water represented new birth and new life for each of them. They were starting anew as a family. The kids were surprised when they walked into their bedrooms where Joe had hung pictures of their mother. Belinda screamed with delight when she saw the picture of Linda wearing an evening gown, sash and crown.

“Your mother was a beauty queen. Along with being brilliant, she was beautiful and talented. She was a contestant in the Miss North Carolina pageant. I found the picture when I was cleaning out the closet for us to move. Belinda, I thought you would love to have that in your room.”

The picture of Linda in Robert’s room was of her hiking on the Appalachian Trail. She had a huge grin on her face as she pointed to the Hawk Mountain in the distance.

Joe said they were going to have a cook out in the yard to celebrate Robert’s birthday. When they went outside, the yard was filled with cardinals. One flew in the open front door of their home. Mark was not happy with having a bird in their house. Mark was going to get a broom to try to knock the bird down and then throw it out the front door. Mark didn’t want to clean up bird poop. Thomas suggested Mark wait to see what the bird was going to do. The bird flew around and then headed for the front opening and then was back in the dogwood trees in the front yard. Thomas said each cardinal was an angel and that their lives were now protected by angels. He suggested that the cardinal may have been Linda who was getting her own tour. Robert and Belinda thought that was the coolest thing they had ever heard. The comment gave them all pause and they left the front door open as they walked to the patio for dinner. Maybe, other angels needed to visit the house.

Burgers, chips, baked beans, and all of the fixings were practically inhaled. Robert laughed and said he would be farting all night after eating beans. Belinda fell onto the ground laughing at her brother. Mark told him it wasn’t polite to say such things at the table and then Joe let loose with a loud one. Robert laughed and walked around the table to hug Joe. Joe and Robert looked at each other and started laughing as Robert let one rip. Joe grabbed Robert and hugged him. Belinda pinched her nose and told them they were gross and being childish. Joe and Robert laughed and grabbed each other again. They were having a hard time breathing because they were laughing so hard. Mark stopped it all when he said they were not having a farting contest. End of story. Thomas gave Joe the evil eye. Joe said it was just boys being boys. Mark was unmoved by the statement. Joe and Thomas would laugh about it later but it was important for them to support Mark.

Belinda then said she wanted to play in the river. They all put on shorts, tee shirts and sneakers to wade along the river bank. The River Walk was by the Mill House and several people stopped to talk with them. There were many complimentary remarks about the restoration of the Mill House and people were pleased that Mark and the children were moving in. A few people gave them odd glances wondering why they were moving when they had lived in such a beautiful historic colonial house in town. Mark knew it wouldn’t take long for the word to finish spreading. There was no need to send out change of address cards to the people in town. He figured by dinner time that everyone would know. Even his parents. He expected them to call demanding the keys to their old house.

As the sun was going down, Mark and the kids went to their new home. Belinda unpacked everything and put it away. She had her room perfect except for hanging some more pictures on the walls. Robert’s room was a mess of boxes full of clothes and toys. He sprawled across the bed and fell asleep in his clothes. The room looked exactly like Robert. He had never been a neat freak.

Overnight, a weather front moved through and the old mill house filled with the sound of creaks and noises. The torrent of rain had the paddle wheel working overtime as the water level in the river was up. Mark awoke with two children in his bed. They weren’t used to such noises and he knew it would take some time for them to understand how soothing it was to hear rain on the metal roof. When they got up, Robert said he wanted bacon and eggs for breakfast. It was rare that his son expressed a desire about what he wanted to eat so Mark paid attention. Usually, Belinda was the outspoken one. The bacon was sizzling in the iron frying pan, eggs were ready to be scrambled and the toast was buttered. When Mark said it was time to eat, he was surprised when Belinda came in wearing her church clothes. She said it was Sunday and they had to go to Mebane because it was Thomas’ last Sunday at that church. Robert said he would find his suit if they were going to church. He said that maybe he could help hand out bulletins. He laughed and said that he could greet people coming in and Belinda could bless them going out. Mark would have been satisfied staying home in his gym shorts and sneakers instead he dutifully got dressed, gathered the kids and they headed to west to Mebane.

Mark started in his new job the next day and the kids went to school. He dropped the kids off as he headed to his new campus office. Earlier, he had met with elementary school personnel and told them that Armistead would be attending school as Belinda. There were a few tense meetings but after having staff from the university medical school meet with teachers and the principal it looked like it would work out okay. Thomas had been instrumental in helping Mark with the school negotiations while Joe spent time with Robert doing “guy things.”

On Monday night, dinner was riotous as all three were talking about their first day at school and work. They were excited about the possibilities and how this new life was working out wonderfully. After dinner, Mark got the children bathed and settled for bed before he went out to lie in the hammock. He thought about all of the changes in their lives as of late and how difficult it had been but it had worked itself out. He was happy with the move into their new house. He was enjoying the quiet in the hammock when he saw a vehicle come down the driveway. Deputy Cartwright got out of the car and headed to Mark. Mark got out of the hammock and had a huge smile on his face until he looked at the deputy.

“Mr. Harden, I am required to serve you with these papers.”

The deputy handed Mark an envelope. Mark opened the envelope in front of the deputy, read the contents, and nearly collapsed.

“Mark, I am so sorry. Who can I get to help you?”

Copyright © 2019 Mac Rountree; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 10
  • Love 17
  • Wow 1
  • Sad 2
  • Angry 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

2 minutes ago, Tonyr said:

What now?

Tonyr,

It is HUGE.  Big Mark is a nasty piece of work.  It will be revealed in the next chapter.  

Mac

  • Like 1
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Mac Rountree said:

Tonyr,

It is HUGE.  Big Mark is a nasty piece of work.  It will be revealed in the next chapter.  

Mac

😳

Pls don't take long, my doctors do not recomend cliffgangers.😛

Edited by Tonyr
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Tonyr said:

😳

Pls don't take long, my doctors do not recomend cliffgangers.😛

We don't want the doctors to be upset.  How about tomorrow?

Mac

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

So much in this chapter that I loved:  the farewell to the old house by filling it with good memories and then blessing it; the blessing of the new house and all that made it a new home;  the focus on Robert and affirming his place and importance in the family; the presence of Thomas and Joe and their support.  And then you had to really end with such a jolt of a cliffhanger!  Great job, Mac.

Tony

  • Love 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Mac Rountree said:

We don't want the doctors to be upset.  How about tomorrow?

Mac

How about tonight?!!!!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Mac Rountree said:

We don't want the doctors to be upset.  How about tomorrow?

Mac

Sounds great. Tks

  • Like 1
Link to comment
32 minutes ago, pvtguy said:

So much in this chapter that I loved:  the farewell to the old house by filling it with good memories and then blessing it; the blessing of the new house and all that made it a new home;  the focus on Robert and affirming his place and importance in the family; the presence of Thomas and Joe and their support.  And then you had to really end with such a jolt of a cliffhanger!  Great job, Mac.

Tony

Tony,

Robert needs lots of affirmation that he has a place in the family.  He is a sibling who thinks he is being left behind while Mark is "putting out fires".   

Mark is finally relaxing and doesn't understand he has to walk into an inferno.  Fighting about a refrigerator is meaningless in the larger scheme.  

Thomas understands the importance of the symbolism of saying good-bye to the old house and hello to the new.  

I am so glad that you like the chapter.  This one sets up the next two chapters.

Mac  

Link to comment
37 minutes ago, pvtguy said:

How about tonight?!!!!

Tony,

LOLOLOLOL.  I actually have to check the guidance on frequency of posting chapters.  Soon, I promise.  Soon.

Mac

Link to comment
18 minutes ago, Tonyr said:

Mac Routree, what's Mark new job?🤔

Tonyr,

That is disclosed in the next chapter but for you I will disclose (lol):  Mark is a senior manager in the facilities division at Duke University.  This is an unexpected step up for him.  Good things will happen....all in time.

Mac

 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Mac Rountree said:

We don't want the doctors to be upset.  How about tomorrow?

Mac

As soon as possible. You are too good at cliffhangers.

Mhm. Obviously, Big M. is extremely angry and angry people make mistakes.  I can hope, can't I?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
1 minute ago, mayday said:

As soon as possible. You are too good at cliffhangers.

Mhm. Obviously, Big M. is extremely angry and angry people make mistakes.  I can hope, can't I?

Mayday,

I am so glad that the cliff hangers are actually working with the readers.  I appreciate each and every one of you.  

Big M is a devious soul and very angry.  You are absolutely correct that angry people make mistakes.  It usually takes some time before they are brought down.........

In the meantime, let me try to post the next chapter.  I hope you enjoy it.

Mac

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

12:01 a.m. tomorrow works for me, otherwise it's heart medicine.

Speaking of hearts, Big Mark and his bible-thumping ilk have none. Trying to take away Robert and Belinda (Army to that narrow-minded bigot / zealot) is the worse thing ever (right after Big Mark buying a red MAGgot hat).

Don't want to wish ill on anyone because karma is a b***h, and payback isn't wanted.

As the world now deals with CoVid-19, your writing Mac is a welcome relief. Hopefully we get back to old normal instead of 'new normal'. But something tells me another BIG shoe is waiting to drop.

FYI, you might want to quietly get ca$h out of bank while you can. Most people aren't aware that despite FDIC and other guarantees of insured bank accounts; banks, S&L, etc are only required to have 'up to' 10% liquidity (cash available to cover deposits). IF there's a run on banks / ATMS, there's literally not enough ca$h to cover demand. Ditto for 'Gold Reserves'. All you'll get is an IOU. 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
1 minute ago, Anton_Cloche said:

12:01 a.m. tomorrow works for me, otherwise it's heart medicine.

Speaking of hearts, Big Mark and his bible-thumping ilk have none. Trying to take away Robert and Belinda (Army to that narrow-minded bigot / zealot) is the worse thing ever (right after Big Mark buying a red MAGgot hat).

Don't want to wish ill on anyone because karma is a b***h, and payback isn't wanted.

As the world now deals with CoVid-19, your writing Mac is a welcome relief. Hopefully we get back to old normal instead of 'new normal'. But something tells me another BIG shoe is waiting to drop.

FYI, you might want to quietly get ca$h out of bank while you can. Most people aren't aware that despite FDIC and other guarantees of insured bank accounts; banks, S&L, etc are only required to have 'up to' 10% liquidity (cash available to cover deposits). IF there's a run on banks / ATMS, there's literally not enough ca$h to cover demand. Ditto for 'Gold Reserves'. All you'll get is an IOU. 

Anton,

I just reread the posting guidance so I will post after class tonight.  On the east coast, it should be by 10:30 pm.  The doctors are very busy with other patients - I don't think deprivation of reading a story on gayauthors is a priority in the emergency room.  It also doesn't have an ICD-10 code.  

Big Mark is used to controlling his world and those in his sphere of influence or control.  Karma is a big B**CH.  She is going to work him over at some time in future chapters.  

Thank you for reading and am glad that it provides some relief from the incessant messaging about CoVid19.  I am reading and watching movies while I self-isolate.  Luckily, I can also do yard work.  

Thank you for the note on having ready cash on hand.  Normally, that is second nature during emergencies. Somehow, this time I didn't think about it.

Happy reading.

Mac

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Ah, that was going so well.  I even searched YouTube for the sound of rain on a metal roof.  Awesome!  Total sleep sounds.

And then enters Deputy Cartwright, stage right, holding whatever the good deputy had to serve, and the whole thing went to heck.

 

 

Link to comment
1 minute ago, Brokenbind said:

Ah, that was going so well.  I even searched YouTube for the sound of rain on a metal roof.  Awesome!  Total sleep sounds.

And then enters Deputy Cartwright, stage right, holding whatever the good deputy had to serve, and the whole thing went to heck.

 

 

Brokenbind,

I love the sound of rain on a tin roof.  I find it totally relaxing.  How cool, I will listen to YouTube.

Yep, the deputy has to serve the papers.  This will start to play out in the next chapter.

Mac

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
9 hours ago, Mac Rountree said:

Tonyr,

It is HUGE.  Big Mark is a nasty piece of work.  It will be revealed in the next chapter.  

Mac

Big Mark needs to be neutered, ASAP!. If he is going to run wild and screw without regard then castration is a real path of choice, of necessity!

Link to comment
11 hours ago, Philippe said:

Big Mark needs to be neutered, ASAP!. If he is going to run wild and screw without regard then castration is a real path of choice, of necessity!

Phillipe,

You go for the gusto.  He will get neutered....but after he sires even more hate and discord.  In time, my friend, in time.

Mac

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..