Jump to content
    Mancunian
  • Author
  • 5,510 Words
  • 5,033 Views
  • 43 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Boot - 1. The Boot

This is a fictional glimpse into the world of homelessness, it is written to raise awareness of those who become homeless for many different reasons and those who try to help and support.
Following discovery, abuse, homelessness and desperation, what becomes of Ian and Kevin and who is there that can help? If you want to know read on.

 

John looked up at the night sky. “It’s going to be a cold one tonight,” he thought. He knew that there would be worse to come. After all, it was only the beginning of November. He made sure to pull up the zip on his parka, only pulling the hood up part way over his medium length dark hair so that it didn't obstruct his field of vision. He'd learned very quickly that out on the street you need to keep your wits about you and be able to see as much as possible. There were few working street lights in this part of town and the cloud cover was thick, there would be no hope of any help from moonlight. His soft brown eyes adjusted to the darkness as he glanced around. The streets appeared deserted. He couldn't see anyone, but he felt the presence and knew he was being watched. It didn't bother him, as that was normal out on the streets. They know who he is, and he felt safe in that knowledge. At twenty six, nearly six feet in height with a typically average build, not muscular but slim and almost model-like, he was a handsome young man. He knew how to look after himself if he needed to, not that there had been any need for a while now. He checked his watch. It was 9:15. He'd be there on time - he always was. It was important to be on time.

 

John arrived at a deserted church on the edge of the city centre, an imposing building built in the late 1800's and now in a state of disrepair. The back room had been made warm and cosy with simple, although worn, soft furnishings to create a lounge. The dining room contained old metal-framed stackable chairs with wooden seats and backrests. The chairs matched the round metal-framed tables with wooden tops. The slightly offset legs of the tables allowed them to be stacked too. The tables and chairs were laid out in the same fashion that they had been since The Boot opened, with six chairs around each table. This way more people could be seated.

 

John went into the main part of the church where the pews had been removed years ago. The resulting open space had been filled with threadbare mattresses, each with a pillow and thin quilt just as threadbare as the mattress itself. It wasn’t much, but it was the best that could be offered. When you're homeless, you don't have much choice. This was preferable to sleeping on the streets, and it provided some sense of safety.

 

Going back through the dining room, John entered the kitchen where he was greeted by the welcome aroma of hot food. He knew that smell, and felt his heart warming to it. A small smile crept onto his face.

 

“Hello, John, you're the first to arrive tonight. How are you feeling?” He was greeted by Jeff, the senior support worker. Jeff headed a team of three other support workers who manned the shelter on a rotating basis. John had first met the six-foot-plus ex-rugby-player at his first grief counselling session when first his mother then his father had passed away. Jeff had been there for him and supported him through more than one rough period in his life. Jeff's imposing build was offset by the warmth in his smile and pale blue eyes set in a ruddy-complexioned face framed by his 'salt and pepper' short hair and neatly trimmed beard. They had formed their alliance two and a half years earlier.

 

“Hi, Jeff, I'm good, thanks. I'll feel better when I've warmed up a bit. It's cold out there tonight. I think there's going to be a frost come morning.” John was cheerful in his reply as he took his coat off and hung it up. “I hope there's enough stew and dumplings. I think there's going to be a lot coming in tonight.”

 

“I'm sure you're right,” replied Jeff. “But if past experience is anything to go by, we’ll manage okay. The supermarket donated plenty of bread rolls and fruit which will help.” Footsteps could be heard in the dining room, sparking Jeff's attention, “I think that's my backup arriving, so we should be ready to go on time.”

 

Jeff and John went out to greet the arrivals. Volunteers came and went, so it was sometimes a bit like potluck finding out who was there to help. Tonight it was two of the regulars, Kate and Steve. They were a couple and firm supporters of the night shelter. It was they who had christened it ‘The Boot’. After finding out that they couldn't have children, they threw themselves into volunteering to help the homeless. Jeff had been their counsellor too. John liked them and always enjoyed talking with them. They made everyone feel welcome.

 

As they approached, Kate held out her arms to John for a hug. Being big in personality but shorter than John, she had to reach up to hug him. This petite blonde gave hugs that conveyed strength and compassion.

 

Steve looked on saying, “Hey, kiddo, how are you doing? I see you're losing weight. I think we need to do something about that.”

 

“Steve, leave him alone. You know he's not been well. He's here, and that's what matters,” Kate admonished.

 

“Thanks, Mom,” John said, grinning as he received his hug.

 

Kate stretched, gently clipping him on the back of his head. “Hey! I'm not that old, you know. I'd have been about eight giving birth if I was your mom.” Her friendly cheerfulness giving way to a chuckle.

 

“I know,” replied John. “But you always mother us all, so it fits.” John looked at Kate and Steve with admiration. They both gave up a lot of their time for this project and contributed financially as well. They were responsible for setting most of it up, researching available grants, refusing to accept a paid position so as not to drain the limited resources, 'strong-arming' the church into allowing the old rundown building to be used for the project, and being the administrators keeping the paperwork and accounts straight. They really were something special.

 

Ten o'clock arrived, and everything was ready as the first of the 'guests' came through the door. They were always referred to as guests as it seemed more respectful and made everyone feel more welcome. Yes, they were homeless, but they didn't need to be reminded of it, they were entitled to be treated with respect. They were soon followed by many more, making more than fifty in total. John was panicking. Was there going to be enough food for everyone?

 

All of the guests took a hot drink. There was always a choice between tea, coffee, and hot chocolate. Hot chocolate was always the favourite on these cold nights, so there was more of it. As the younger ones made for the pool table the older guys made themselves comfortable, one of them known as 'The Major' singled out John and spoke. “Come and sit with me tonight, we need to talk.” It sounded more like an order, making John a bit nervous. Nobody knew exactly how he came to be known as 'The Major', but he always had been, and he rarely spoke but when he did his words conveyed authority and commanded respect.

 

They sat in The Major's usual spot, the only two seater sofa there, where no one ever disturbed him. As they sat The Major spoke, “John, why do you pretend to be homeless and eat here with us bums?”

 

“Wh-what do you mean? I don't pretend, I live on the streets like you do.” John started to fidget with his fingers. He broke out in a cold sweat and could feel the colour drain from his face.

 

“Please don't insult my intelligence John, if that’s your name. I'll bet you don't know why they call me ‘The Major’, do you?”

 

“No, no I don't. I’ve wondered and asked a few of the guys, but none of them seem to know.”

 

“Well, I'll tell you. I used to be in the military - I imagine that much you can all guess - and held the rank of Major. I was in Military Intelligence. I bet no one guessed that did they? I've watched you since this place opened and before at The Little Boot. Watched you come and go, and that's nearly two years now. Do you remember the first night The Boot opened?” The Major asked.

 

“Yeah, I do. It was Christmas Eve. We had a Christmas tree, and everyone got presents - gloves, coats, that sort of thing and Jeff gave us all a Christmas Dinner.” John wondered where this was going.

 

“That's right, except you didn't take anything, did you.” The Major paused. “That got me thinking, why was everyone scrambling for something except you? Then I noticed your fingernails.” He paused again. “They're too clean, and your hair is too neat and styled. Yes, your clothes are grubby and dirty, but the soles of your shoes are too clean. All of that tells me that you don't live on the streets. I followed you a few times, although you never knew. I know where you live. I've seen you delivering the food we eat, and I'm guessing on this part, but I think I know where the money comes from to run this place. I like you John. You're a good young man. So please don't lie. Your secret is safe with me. So am I right or what?”

 

John let out a huge sigh; he knew that he was finally busted. He'd kept it a secret all this time. “Okay, Major, I'll come clean and answer you, but first you answer me a question. What's your name? You do have a name don't you?”

 

“Of course I do. We all do but... all right I'm Alex. I'm not going to tell you anything else, and I ask you to keep my name quiet. I don't want anyone to know about me. Drink got the better of me, I lost my family and my home, and that's why I'm on the streets. I don't know or deserve anything else.”

 

John was shocked at the last statement. Nobody deserves to be homeless and living on the streets. He held out his hand and shook Alex's. “I'm happy and pleased to meet you, Alex. I think that you deserve to know the truth, and I'm asking and trusting you to keep my secret too.” Alex, The Major, nodded. “Only Jeff and now you know this. My name isn't John, it’s Christian, Christian Edwards.” The Major’s right eyebrow raised as if recognising the name. “I'm just trying to help out and trying to give you guys from the streets somewhere safe to come. This way I get a better idea of what the needs are, as many of the guys tell me things that they wouldn’t otherwise talk about. I didn't think that anyone would figure me out, and I'd really like it to stay that way. So why ask now if you've known for a while? There must be a reason.”

 

“You got me. Yes, there is a reason for bringing it all up. I need some help, not for me you understand, it's for someone else, or more like two ‘someone else's if that makes sense. Can you spare five minutes to come with me before the food is served so that you can meet them?”

 

“I can do that. Let me talk to Jeff first and then we'll go.” John spoke briefly with Jeff, then the two men left.

 

As they neared the railway arches by Piccadilly Station, John asked, “Where are we going and when are going to tell me what the problem is?”

 

The Major glanced around, there were tears in his eyes which he tried to hide. “A couple of days ago I stumbled on two youngsters, they're scared and haven't got a clue how to survive on the street. It looks like they’ve both been beaten, one pretty badly. They won't last long out here, especially in this weather. They’re too nervous and scared to come to the shelter. I'm hoping that you can help them they need more help than I can give. I think they're about eighteen. I hope you won't hold this against them, but I think they’re a couple.”

 

John looked puzzled. “Why would I hold that against them? If they’re a couple, then they’re a couple. That doesn't change anything, and if they’re hurt then they need to be checked out and given the help they need.”

 

“What I mean is... they’re two lads - they’re a gay couple.” The Major gave a hard glare as if to challenge John.

 

“Who gives a rat's ass. It doesn't matter if they’re gay, straight or whatever. If they need help, they need help. Now, let's find them.” John felt a bit offended. Sexuality didn't come into it. He would give help to anyone that needed it. He'd learnt that from his own past and his family.

 

The Major smiled, "I knew you would be the right man for the job."

 

As they approached a fenced off part of the arches, The Major slid a board to one side and went through the gap. John followed, stopping only to let his eyes adjust to the darkness. They heard a few sniffles, then the sound of something or someone scrambling in the dirt. This was followed by a faint weak voice. “Major, what's going on? You promised you wouldn't tell on us, you promised, you promised.” The voice faded and gave way to the sound of sobbing.

 

John strode past The Major, to get to the lads. The smaller of the two shied away trying to pull the other with him, but he was a dead weight and appeared to be unconscious or close to it. John had a flashback to a story told him by his uncles and knew what he needed to do. With almost herculean strength, he lifted an almost unconscious young man into his arms and told The Major to help the other one. “I don't know your story and now isn't the time but we will talk. You both need help and we’re here to give it if you will let us.” The more lucid youngster looked scared but nodded his assent.

 

Slowly, they made their way back to The Boot Night Shelter. When they entered, there were gasps all around as everyone caught sight of the two young men covered in bruises and dried blood.

 

Quickly regaining their composure, Jeff and Steve ran to help take them into the office. As he looked at the sorry sight of the young man coming to in John’s arms, Jeff spoke up. “John, I know you said that we may have extra mouths to feed, but you didn't warn me about this.”

 

“I'm sorry Jeff. I didn't know any of the details before I left. This guy is heavy and they both need some help, would you help get them cleaned up please? Then we can see where we go from there. Oh, by the way, my - or our - secret is out. The Major figured me out a while back and decided to let on tonight. I think it may be time to let Kate and Steve know the truth, but like The Major, they must keep it to themselves. Let them know that when I'm here I'm still ‘homeless John’. Can you fill them in for me while you tend to these two? The Major and I will get everyone else fed and bedded down for the night.”

 

Kate and Steve helped Jeff clean up the boys while he told them the full story behind The Boot and why it was so easy to get the grants that had been applied for. Christian, known to them as John, or to be exact Christian's trust fund, was their benefactor and now held the lease on the church, which was why they only paid a peppercorn rent of £1 per year.

 

John and The Major went to eat with the rest of the guests before assigning them to their bunks for the night. Both of the men were tired, but they knew that the night was far from over and returned to the office.

 

The young men had been cleaned up and were looking a lot better. Both were now fully conscious and each was eagerly devouring a bowl of stew and dumplings.

 

John spoke up as they as they ate. “You're safe here, but this is only a night shelter. I'd like you both to be checked out by a friend of mine who’s a doctor at the hospital. Then I'd like to see what we can do to help you. For us to do that, we need to know your names etcetera, and the truth about what put you in this position.” John paused, feeling himself becoming emotional. “It's your decision. No one is going to force you, but in order for us to help you, you will need to be truthful with us.”

 

The Major moved to stand behind them, placing a hand on each of their shoulders as they sat, almost like a protective parent. “Ian, Kevin,” he emphasised their names. “You need to trust them. I know that you don't know me really, but you've trusted me these past few nights, so trust me now. These are good people.” He paused, looking over at Jeff, John, Kate and Steve as if composing himself and continued, “They are my friends and I trust them with my life, so I know that you can trust them too.”

 

After looking at each other for a few moments, as if communicating without speaking, Ian and Kevin turned to Jeff, John, and Kate, and finally looked up at The Major, nodding to give their agreement.

 

The taller of the two spoke in a quiet voice, “I'm Ian Johnson and this is Kevin Cole my...” Ian looked unsure of himself and became even quieter lowering his head. “My boyfriend.”

 

“Ian, you’re speaking so quietly that we’re having trouble hearing you. Can you say that again? And please don't be afraid or ashamed of who or what you are. You're among friends here, if you want us.” Jeff had gone into counsellor mode, speaking gently and clearly, encouraging Ian to relax.

 

“I’m sorry, sir. I'm Ian Johnson.” Ian swallowed and took a few deep breaths. When he spoke again, he sounded more relaxed and confident. “This is Kevin Cole. He is my boyfriend.” Those words were said as he gazed into Kevin's eyes, and you could feel the love that he conveyed.

 

“Yeah, we're boyfriends, and we love each other.” Kevin had found his voice and took over. “Our landlord had us beat up and then threw us out because we wouldn't do what he wanted. He kept our deposit and all of our stuff. He claims that we owe him, but we don't owe him anything.”

 

Over the next hour Ian and Kevin related their story. They had met and become boyfriends two and a half years earlier while attending the local Grammar School near their homes in The Wirral, Merseyside. After being discovered making love on Kevin's sixteenth birthday by Kevin’s older brother, they had both been beaten and subjected to physical abuse from their families. They stuck it out for as long as they could while making plans. Kevin, the smaller of the boys, had a secret bank account that they saved all their spare cash in. Ian, the bigger of the two, had some camping gear and a 100cc motor bike. After completing their college courses, they packed what clothes they could carry and the camping gear. Setting off on Ian's motorbike they hoped to make a life for themselves. Kevin had been studying business management and accounts, and had hoped to continue his studies by attending university. Ian had been studying art and design. He wasn’t sure what he wanted to do, but he liked being creative with his hands.

 

As is often the case with youngsters, things didn't work out as they had planned. They sold the motorbike and camping equipment, using the money to secure a small bedsit in Rochdale. When the money ran out, and with no jobs, they soon found out how dodgy their landlord was. Thanks to their naiveté, he managed to convince them to go into the 'escort' business to earn money and make ends meet. Things appeared to be going reasonably well for the first few weeks, as all they were doing was providing company to lonely men and women who could afford it. Then their ‘friendly’ landlord tried coercing them into providing sexual favours for clients. When that didn’t work, he resorted to blackmail. When they didn't give in to the blackmail, the landlord enlisted the help of his friends. Kevin and Ian were terrified and beaten before being thrown out, losing everything except what they were wearing and what they had in their pockets.

 

John wept on hearing their story and took them both in a hug. “Everything is going to be okay, I promise you. You will be okay. I'm going to make sure of it.” The two young men clung on to John releasing their own silent tears of relief. Almost pleading, John asked, “Steve can you drive us to the Royal Infirmary, and please could I use your phone to call Gary? I want him to check them both over before we talk anymore.”

 

“You didn’t need to ask, I was going to insist on doing it.” Steve passed his phone to John. “Here, call Gary now and I’ll bring the car ‘round to the back door.”

 

Steve left to retrieve his car and John went off into a corner for a whispered conversation with his friend when the call was answered. Ian and Kevin, feeling a little stronger now, were taken out through the back door and seated in the back of Steve’s Land Rover Discovery. John took the front passenger seat. Jeff and Kate returned to the calm of the night shelter as Steve made his way through the dark streets to Manchester Royal Infirmary. He drove with a sense of urgency but didn’t break any traffic laws. Ten minutes later they pulled up at the Accident and Emergency entrance where Gary, John’s friend, and a nurse were waiting.

 

Ian and Kevin were introduced to Gary. Then, flanked by John and Steve, they were led into the Hospital A&E Department and placed in a cubicle together, as they refused to be separated. A second gurney was brought in and both were given hospital gowns to change into. Once they were dressed in the rather unfashionable hospital attire and made as comfortable as anyone can be on gurneys, Gary and a nurse entered to examine them. John and Steve anxiously waited in the corridor.

 

At Kevin’s insistence, Ian was first to be examined. First, blood pressure and temperature were taken, both were normal. As each abrasion was examined by Gary, it was quickly cleaned by the nurse who also took notes of the injuries. As well as several bruises on his body, and a black eye with slight swelling which partially closed Ian’s left eye, Gary noticed a deep cut on Ian’s head which showed some signs of possible infection, prompting him to administer antibiotics. Blood tests and X-rays to determine if there were any other hidden injuries were ordered. Being the bigger of the two, a little over six feet and built in proportion to his height, Ian had come off worse than Kevin by trying to protect his boyfriend. It was clear that with his dirty blond hair and blue eyes, he was a good looking young man - if you ignored his injuries.

 

Kevin was equally good looking. Although shorter, he wasn’t small and was of average build. His brown hair made his blue eyes stand out. His injuries were less severe than Ian’s, consisting only of some bruising and a few minor abrasions. The same procedure was followed and Gary requested blood tests and X-rays for Kevin too as a precaution. When personal details were given they listed each other as next of kin, which caused the nurse to smile. As they were both eighteen, officially adults, and homeless, The Boot was given as a temporary address with Jeff as an additional contact.

 

At Gary’s insistence both stayed in hospital overnight for observation. John told them that he would make sure that their clothes were cleaned and would return them later. Knowing the condition of their clothes, what he really planned was to replace them after checking the sizes. It was now nearly six in the morning. After making sure that they were comfortable, John and Steve said goodbye, letting them know that they would return in the afternoon.

 

John and Steve returned to The Boot and found Kate and Jeff in the Kitchen preparing breakfast for the guests - a choice of porridge or cereal with toast and jam or marmalade, with tea, coffee or hot chocolate to drink. It was the usual menu - simple but always welcome. They were each greeted by Kate with a kiss on the cheek as Jeff poured coffee.

 

Always a light sleeper, The Major had heard them return and followed them into the kitchen. After helping himself to a coffee he asked, “So what’s happening with the lads? I hope they’re going to be okay.” He looked worried and tired as though he hadn’t slept. “They can’t go back on the streets. Can’t you do something? Get them a hostel place or something?”

 

After taking a sip from his coffee, Steve looked up, “I don’t know what we can do. We’ll look into things and see what options are available. Why the interest Major? I’ve never seen you so interested in anyone or heard you talk this much before.”

 

“I’m just interested, that’s all.” Looking a little flushed and gazing at the floor, The Major left the kitchen to return to his bunk muttering, “This is different they need…….”

 

Surprised at the reaction, they all glanced at each other. John broke the silence. “I’ve an idea or two but I can’t say anything yet, so don’t ask. I want to check on The Major, he seems upset.” John went to speak with The Major leaving Jeff, Kate, and Steve to chat among themselves. In the sleeping room he found The Major, clearly troubled and getting ready to leave. John took him to one side and after some encouragement got him to stay and chat over breakfast. He learned a lot during that conversation but swore that he would keep the confidence.

 

After breakfast and getting themselves cleaned up, some even taking the opportunity to shower, the guests helped with the clean-up before leaving The Boot and returning to the streets. John and the support staff talked through the night’s events. They agreed to meet up later that afternoon at the hospital entrance. Each had their agreed tasks. Kate was going to launder the young men’s clothes while Steve would go and purchase a new set with cash provided by John. Jeff had the task of checking on progress with the hospital, and John had his own undisclosed task to perform.

 

At 2:30 that afternoon, they all met at the hospital main entrance. After exchanging the usual greetings, they made their way to the ward that accommodated Ian and Kevin. They were greeted by two well rested but apprehensive young men who wanted nothing more than to get out of hospital, even though they had no idea where they would go.

 

Passing them each an identical backpack, Kate informed them with a smile, “Here are your clothes, freshly laundered and ready to wear. You have an extra set of clothes each, and they have also been freshly laundered. They were bought new today. Just don’t ask, okay? And check I’ve given you the right ones. I may have got your sizes mixed up.”

 

Kevin looked surprised, “Thanks, but how are we going to repay you? We don’t have any money or anything, so we can’t accept them.”

 

“Don’t worry, it’s just what some people do,” Steve jumped in. “They can’t be returned anywhere now because they’ve been unwrapped and washed, so I guess you will just have to keep them.”

 

Kevin and Ian glanced at each other, tears being held back. Then in a choked sounding voice, Kevin answered, “Thanks, I don’t know what else to say but thank you. I’m not sure that we have done anything to deserve this, but it will help us a lot.” Tears were freely running down his now smiling face.

 

“I think you two need to get dressed, as I get the feeling that the hovering nurse over there is ready to discharge you.” Jeff was looking tired as he joined the conversation. “I want you to know that you’re welcome at The Boot anytime that you feel like dropping in.” He paused. “But if you don’t mind, I’ll get on my way. I’m due back there tonight, and I need some sleep. I’ll see you all later.” With that he left to go home with the sound of everyone saying goodbye ringing in his ears.

 

Kate gave Kevin and Ian hugs, telling them, “Steve and I need to go get some sleep too, so we’ll see you both later. John has something planned for this afternoon that he won’t tell us about, but I know it involves you two, so stick close and listen to him. Okay?” Giving them both another hug, she took Steve’s arm and they both left for some well-earned sleep.

 

Pulling the curtains around the beds, John told them, “Okay guys, check your bags and get dressed. I’ll be waiting for you. Then we can get you discharged before getting some decent food inside you.” John waited on the opposite side of the curtains while they checked and swapped bags before getting dressed. The sound of a few kisses and sighs were heard before the curtains reopened, and two handsome young men stepped out holding hands. It was obvious these guys were very much in love.

 

After being discharged and given after-care instructions, Kevin and Ian followed John to his car and were driven to a small unassuming restaurant for a decent ‘non-hospital’ meal. John filled them in on his plans which they agreed to, and they told him of their past, dreams and future plans answering any questions that John asked.

 

At ten o’clock that night, a very tired and weary John entered The Boot. Jeff, Kate, and Steve all looked surprised and worried to see John on his own. John was soon followed by The Major, who immediately approached them. “Where are the boys? What’s happened? Are they okay?”

 

“Calm down Major, come and sit with us so I only need to tell it once.” John explained all that had happened after they left the hospital. Then ‘homeless’ John joined the guests in the sleeping quarters for a well-deserved night’s sleep.

 

Meanwhile in a small two-bedroom apartment in The Northern Quarter, two young men were sleeping next to each other, dreaming. There had been a couple of years of hell which culminated in being badly beaten and ending up on the streets. When conditions were at their worst, they had met an older military type guy who befriended them and tried to help. They could never have expected what happened next. Miraculously, they were surrounded by people who cared and had been given medical attention for their wounds. John had ‘pulled a few strings’ calling in favours, and they had a home for now anyway. John had even filled the cupboards with food, and had promised to return the next day to help them sort out social security benefits for their immediate needs and deal with their previous landlord. He also promised that he would continue to give them support and guidance when needed.

 

They couldn’t believe their good fortune. They didn’t know what their future held, but what they did know was that thanks to The Major and The Boot, they now had new friends and an opportunity. But the most important thing of all, they now had hope - hope for the future.

 

I hope that everyone has enjoyed reading the story as much as I have in writing it. Please leave a comment to let me know what you think, remember it is fiction and not all real stories of this nature have a good ending.
I can't go and not express my thanks and gratitude to @Backwoods Boy and @Jdonley75 for their support and encouragement, not forgetting the time and effort that both have given with editing and beta reading. without these great guys this would never have been possible. so if you have enjoyed it please remember to thank these guys too for their invaluable help.
Copyright © 2019 Mancunian; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 24
  • Love 17
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

Welcome to The Boot World discussion forum. This includes all of the stories from The Boot Series and the Lost Soul Series. The Boot was the first story posted in this collection of stories, it was originally intended as a one-off story. Like many one-off stories, it grew and The Boot Three Years On was written as a follow-up. Some readers asked about the back story of some of the characters, which led to the Lost Soul Series. Together they form The Boot World. Both Series have grown and in
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



16 minutes ago, Backwoods Boy said:

Congratulations on your second story.  You have a gift for detail that brings the characters and setting to life.  Keep up the good work. :thumbup:

 

Thank you BB, this would never have come about without the help and support that I've had, you deserve credit for this story too.

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Note: these comments refer specifically to the US, but might be applicable elsewhere too.

 

I‘ve been housed for about 5 years now, but I was homeless for a little over two years. I was lucky and was only forced to stay in a bus shelter for two nights – the rest of the time I was able to find homeless shelters to stay in. I met plenty of people who stayed out on the streets. I still keep in touch with a few of them.  ;–)

 

There are all sorts of reasons why people are homeless. Some because they hate following rules. Some because they can’t take care of themselves or their finances. Some because they can’t afford to pay rent for shelter, either because their job(s) doesn’t pay enough or because they’re too deep in debt. Some because of a disaster like a house fire. And only some of them are alcoholics and/of drug abusers. Many homeless people are dealing with mental health problems. The only thing they all have in common is that they don’t have a place to live.

 

When I applied for CalFresh (aka SNAP or ‘food stamps’), I was forced to submit to fingerprinting and a mug shot. This was because California Republicans wanted social services applicants to feel like criminals. In addition, long lines in social services offices are intentionally designed to discourage applicants – multiple services use the same waiting room so you have no way of telling how long you’ll be forced to wait. Those in need are forced to waste time in waiting rooms because social services are deliberately underfunded. If you miss a deadline for reapplying, your benefits are reduced permanently. Wealthy people would not put up with these kinds of conditions, but poor people have little political influence and cannot object if they want help.

 

 

I noticed The Boot offers showers. People often complain about smelly homeless people, but fail to realize how difficult it is to keep clean when you don’t have a home. There are few places to take free showers and few free places to launder your clothes. One non-profit I used for psychological therapy also used to offer free showers and free laundry, but the funding ran out and they switched to other services – I don’t know where all their former clients go to shower or wash their clothing now.

 

 

There are no easy answers. There is no single solution. Homelessness is only a symptom, not the actual problem.

 

To fix the homelessness problem, we have to solve the addiction problem. We also have to solve the mental health crisis. We need to pay a living wage instead of a minimum wage. We need to build a lot more additional affordable housing in our major cities. We need to adjust our social services to assist those being helped to more easily transition to full employment instead of punishing people for trying to improve their situations. We need to subsidize those who cannot work full-time due to disabilities or other conditions out of their control. And we need to stop criminalizing homelessness!

 

 

Thank you for calling attention to this critical issue! Not enough people think about what it’s like to be homeless, much less how they can help. There are too many reasons why people become homeless for the condition to be permanently eliminated, but we all can do our bit to change that!  ;–)

  • Love 3
Link to comment
26 minutes ago, Douglas Spencer said:

A Beautiful and very touching story.  Good writing and editing.  I would like to see how the future unfolds for Kevin and Ian, They seem like such sweet loving boys.

 

Thank you for your comments, we may hear more from the boys in the future. Both @Backwoods Boy for his editing and @Jdonley75 for beta reading were a great support to me in writing the story.

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Mancunian said:

…many people quietly volunteer in these organisations with little or no recognition.

When I stayed in one shelter, there were different groups who came in once a month to bring us dinner. One group was about half a dozen high school students, they weren’t from a school or religious organization at least that they ever identified. They planned the meals, bought all the ingredients, and prepared the food for us. There was one time when it was very obvious that teenaged boys planned the menu, but they were enthusiastic and friendly. And consistently there every month. Unlike some of the other groups, they ate with us.  ;–)

 

At least two groups brought young children (early elementary school aged) with them. One was a woman who brought her young son with her and they served us a tasty vegetarian soup (and I say that as a dedicated carnivore). The other group was two men who brought their young nephews in with them. The kids were always a hit with the shelter residents!  ;–)

 

The Berkeley Zen Center was another group that came every month. Before many of the meals, the groups would often ask for a volunteer to pray before we were served. It didn’t seem appropriate to me to pray when the Zen Center was there, so before the usual suspects could drone on with their King James-inspired thees and thous, I would ask for a moment of silence.  ;–)

Edited by droughtquake
  • Love 3
Link to comment
8 hours ago, Ivor Slipper said:

Having lifted the veil, I also hope that there will be further stories involving these characters.

 

Thank you for the positive comment, I was unsure if I should write more but after reading everyones comments there will be at least one or two more. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment

Following all the positive responses and comments from you all I am making notes to write a follow-up story, it take some time before it's ready so please have patience. Your comments have given me plenty to think about and even a few ideas, thank you all.

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Mancunian said:

Following all the positive responses and comments from you all I am making notes to write a follow-up story, it take some time before it's ready so please have patience. Your comments have given me plenty to think about and even a few ideas, thank you all.

 

I look forward to reading whatever you manage to come up with. Without intending to influence you in any way I, am particularly interested in The Major's story - and possibly John's as well. More of Kevin and Ian's story may be interesting (either more of the back-story or perhaps what happens to them going forward) but, without meaning to sound jaded or too critical, GA is full of that sort of stuff (I don't think I've said that the way I mean it - I really don't mean it to sound bad in any way whatsoever).

 

Another possibility, of course, is to simply expand on the happenings in The Boot, as you hinted in an earlier comment that you might. Stories about homelessness and shelters are often told from the perspective of the homeless person themselves. It might be interesting and refreshing to see a different perspective...

 

Anyway, those are just some random thoughts of my own. Please don't feel that I am trying to put you under any sort of pressure.

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment
3 minutes ago, Marty said:

 

I look forward to reading whatever you manage to come up with. Without intending to influence you in any way I, am particularly interested in The Major's story - and possibly John's as well. More of Kevin and Ian's story may be interesting (either more of the back-story or perhaps what happens to them going forward) but, without meaning to sound jaded or too critical, GA is full of that sort of stuff (I don't think I've said that the way I mean it - I really don't mean it to sound bad in any way whatsoever).

 

Another possibility, of course, is to simply expand on the happenings in The Boot, as you hinted in an earlier comment that you might. Stories about homelessness and shelters are often told from the perspective of the homeless person themselves. It might be interesting and refreshing to see a different perspective...

 

Anyway, those are just some random thoughts of my own. Please don't feel that I am trying to put you under any sort of pressure.

 

Have you become a mind reader? All of those thoughts are going through my mind, now I need to unravel and move forward with them. I take all of your comments as encouragement. :)

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Marty said:

Another possibility, of course, is to simply expand on the happenings in The Boot, as you hinted in an earlier comment that you might. Stories about homelessness and shelters are often told from the perspective of the homeless person themselves. It might be interesting and refreshing to see a different perspective...

I like this idea. At one of the shelters, we talked about how it could make a great situation comedy TV show. There are some people who never seem to move on from homelessness and others who briefly appear, then disappear (just like a cameo appearance) – both clients and staff.  ;–)

 

One of my friends was supposed to have bedrest while recovering from surgery. But he’s a restless sort of guy and he tried to sneak outside. He's legally blind, but not totally unable to see things, and he thought he saw his nemesis (a staff member) leave the main area and tried to make a run for it. He opened the door and bounced off her more than ample bosoms! She asked him where he was going, he could only meekly say, ‘Nowhere’ and turn around to return to his bunk with his tail tucked between his legs.  ;–)

 

Homeless programs don’t work in isolation, they often refer clients to others who provide services they can’t. Some agencies are better set up to help find housing for clients, others help with legal issues. One of the most important referrals I got was to a group with pro bono lawyers who represented me at my Social Security Disability hearing – they helped me win my case!  ;–)

 

 

A few years ago, there was a movie that played at Frameline (San Francisco International LGBTQ Film Festival – the world’s oldest and largest LGBTQ film festival) called Saturday Church. Set in NYC, a teenager runs away from home and eventually discovers Saturday Church, a program set up to serve the homeless LGBTQ community.  It’s based on a real organization with a fictional protagonist. Many of the actors are actual clients of the real agency. Aside from providing food and clothing, they also have a drag runway presentation event. While the lives and situation were very different from my own, it was a fascinating view of their world and I recommend the movie.  ;–)

  • Love 3
Link to comment
28 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

I like this idea. At one of the shelters, we talked about how it could make a great situation comedy TV show. There are some people who never seem to move on from homelessness and others who briefly appear, then disappear (just like a cameo appearance) – both clients and staff.  ;–)

 

[snip]

 

A few years ago, there was a movie that played at Frameline (San Francisco International LGBTQ Film Festival – the world’s oldest and largest LGBTQ film festival) called Saturday Church. Set in NYC, a teenager runs away from home and eventually discovers Saturday Church, a program set up to serve the homeless LGBTQ community.  It’s based on a real organization with a fictional protagonist. Many of the actors are actual clients of the real agency. Aside from providing food and clothing, they also have a drag runway presentation event. While the lives and situation were very different from my own, it was a fascinating view of their world and I recommend the movie.  ;–)

 

Seems like there's plenty of drama and comedy at the shelter you mention in the first paragraph that could provide lots of inspiration. And cameo characters can also often act as a sort of writing prompt. In my Misunderstood short story, which is basically total fiction, I used a real life character (the schoolboy who needed piggy backing down the mountain) as a means of bringing the two main protagonists together. I really did need to piggy back one of my pupils off a mountain once.

 

Oh, and thanks for the heads up on the movie. I'll put it on my to do list and try and check it out. 😊

Edited by Marty
  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment
50 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

I like this idea. At one of the shelters, we talked about how it could make a great situation comedy TV show. There are some people who never seem to move on from homelessness and others who briefly appear, then disappear (just like a cameo appearance) – both clients and staff.  ;–)

 

One of my friends was supposed to have bedrest while recovering from surgery. But he’s a restless sort of guy and he tried to sneak outside. He's legally blind, but not totally unable to see things, and he thought he saw his nemesis (a staff member) leave the main area and tried to make a run for it. He opened the door and bounced off her more than ample bosoms! She asked him where he was going, he could only meekly say, ‘Nowhere’ and turn around to return to his bunk with his tail tucked between his legs.  ;–)

 

With the depressing situation that homeless people are often in humour is sometimes the only thing helps them through the bad times, unfortunately many don't manage to get out of it. I'm sure they would enjoy a bit of humour in The Boot. 😉

 

50 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

Homeless programs don’t work in isolation, they often refer clients to others who provide services they can’t. Some agencies are better set up to help find housing for clients, others help with legal issues. One of the most important referrals I got was to a group with pro bono lawyers who represented me at my Social Security Disability hearing – they helped me win my case!  ;–)

 

The list of other organisations and services they work with is a long one, some of the others are those that give support to help with problems of mental health, addiction to drugs and alcohol as well as ones that give varying forms of help to enable a return to work and the list goes on.

 

Thanks for the heads-up on the film I'll be looking it up. :)

Edited by Mancunian
  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment

For those that would like to read more about The Boot you can now read The Boot - Three Years On which is now currently being posted, I hope that those who read the follow-up will enjoy it.

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..