Jump to content
    Mark Arbour
  • Author
  • 5,066 Words
  • 9,002 Views
  • 12 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

St. Vincent - 41. Chapter 41

March 20, 1797

 

“Sir, a note has just arrived from your father,” Cheevers said as he was eating breakfast with Llewellyn. Granger opened it and read the words he’d been expecting: Your grandfather sends his regards.

“Thank you Cheevers. I will be leaving shortly.” Granger had already put on his best uniform in preparation to see the First Lord.

“I’ll alert the coachman, sir,” Cheevers said respectfully.

“Do you have everything you need for your trip to Wales?” Granger asked.

“I was wondering if it would be alright for Holmquist to go with me, sir.”

Granger almost chuckled at that. Those two had been animals last night. Granger gathered that Llewellyn was a virgin, though, so if he chose Holmquist to be the first man to penetrate him, it may be quite a challenge. “If he is willing, I have no objection. It is unwise to travel about unescorted.”

“He seemed willing, sir,” Llewellyn said, blushing slightly. “But I will ask him.”

“Excellent,” Granger said, and stood up to leave, while Llewellyn stood as well. “I must be off. I have to call on my father, and Lord Spencer. I wish you good travels.”

“Yes, sir,” Llewellyn said, then got more nervous. “Sir, when you get another ship, I am hoping you would consider appointing me as one of your midshipmen.”

Granger smiled, both because he liked this young Welshman, and because he was flattered that Llewellyn wanted to stay with him. “I would be honored, Mr. Llewellyn, but I am concerned they will send me further afield this time. I would not want you to sign up for duties elsewhere, perhaps in the tropics, without fully considering the risks.”

“I will go wherever you go, sir,” he said firmly.

“Your father may have other ideas about that,” Granger reminded him. “In any event, I will alert you as soon as I know what I am to do.” The young midshipman gave him an affectionate hug, a gesture that surprised Granger only momentarily, and then he responded by hugging him back just as affectionately. “Take care of yourself.”

“Aye aye sir,” he said, with a cheeky grin. Granger strode confidently out of his house and to the waiting carriage.

“The Admiralty, Sir George?” the driver asked.

“Bridgemont House,” Granger corrected, and got in before hearing a response. He’d need information from his father before he tackled Lord Spencer.

Portland Place and Grosvenor Square were so close that Granger found himself hopping out of his carriage almost as soon as he’d gotten in. He walked up the steps of the familiar house and the door opened as if by magic, controlled by a footman who was not visible. “Welcome, Sir George,” Franklin said. Franklin was his parents’ butler.

“Thank you, Franklin. Is my father at home?”

“He is in his study. Please follow me.” Franklin unnecessarily led Granger back to his father’s study, as if Granger hadn’t grown up in this house and didn’t know where it was, but it was the polite and proper thing to do, and that’s how things operated at Bridgemont House. Franklin announced him, and then closed the doors behind Granger after he entered.

“George. I did not expect you so soon. Thank you for coming.”

“I got your note this morning, Father. I was preparing to go to the Admiralty to report to Lord Spencer, and opted to detour here first.”

“That was a wise decision.” The Earl of Bridgemont motioned his son to sit down, and poured them both a glass of wine mixed with water. The earl liked his wine watered down this early in the morning. “I met with the King yesterday. It was perhaps not the best topic to broach on the Sabbath.”

“How did he react?” Granger asked nervously.

“He was not happy,” the earl grimaced. “In fact, he was quite furious. He directed some of that anger at me, since this scandal comes so closely on the heels of the affair with Freddie and Davina. It makes it look as if we Granger men cannot keep our wives satisfied, or in line.”

“I am sorry about that, Father. Perhaps His Majesty is right, and that both Freddie and I are simply not smart enough for our spouses.”

“I hardly think that is the case,” the earl said. “The only person he was not angry with was you. He noted that you were away, doing your duty and serving him well, while your wife and his own nephew luxuriated in the security our navy provides while dishonoring those who would protect them.”

“I suppose I should consider myself lucky,” Granger said fatalistically.

“I am not so sure about that.”

“What do you mean?”

“You are going to be given a ship, a plum command, just as we noted. Then you are going to be sent to the Indies. If it is a fast trip, you will be gone for at least a year. If not, well, it will take longer.”

“We knew this would happen. Am I not to feign illness as we planned?” Granger was quite glad he had the sense to see his father before going to the Admiralty.

“I am afraid not,” the earl said. He had a sad look on his face. “Bertie is being recalled, and you are being sent to get him.”

So Bertie had once again interceded to cause him problems. “Why is he being recalled?”

“There are questions about how he has conducted the affairs of the government and John Company while he has been in the Moluccas. That is the official story. I think that his success, and the riches he has amassed, have caused considerable jealousy, so his recall is merely a function of the need to reward other people.”

“How do you think Bertie will react?”

The earl sighed. “I cannot think he will be happy about it. I am of a mind to try and warn him about it, but I am not sure that is possible. You will probably have to leave rather soon, and it is unlikely another ship would be able to beat you there.” Since Granger didn’t even have a ship yet, that was a flawed conclusion on his father’s part, but he opted not to argue the point.

“We have some time to ponder that, then,” Granger said. “I am to see Spencer this morning, or at least I will present my report on paying off Belvidera at that time.”

“You must do as he asks. If he gives you another ship, you must take it. If he does not, you will at least know what is coming.”

“What will happen to Gloucester and Caroline?”

“That is perhaps the most important piece of information. The King commands you to attend him this afternoon at St. James Palace. I took the liberty of telling him I would convey that message to you.” That did not answer Granger’s question, but he went with it anyway.

“What time should I attend His Majesty?”

“You are bidden to arrive at half past two.”

“Will you accompany me?” Granger asked.

“He did not ask me to, so I will not be there. You will be fine, George. You know how to deal with people, and you’ll know how to deal with him. Just agree where you can, and if you must disagree, do so gently.”

“And Caroline and Gloucester?” Granger asked again.

“I am not sure. I suspect that Gloucester will have his income truncated for a time, and will be required to be in strict attendance at court. The King will keep him under his thumb. I think Caroline will find she is not welcome at court for the foreseeable future. That is probably not a great blow to her, since she does not attend Their Majesties all that frequently. I am sure he will tell you what he thinks when he sees you.”

“I suspect you are right,” Granger said, his tone filled with dread. “I had an encounter with Freddie and Davina in Portsmouth.”

“An encounter?”

“I had originally pledged to Freddie that I would say nothing of it to you, Father, but I think if I am to be gone for a long time, possibly forever, it is important that you know what happened.” Granger’s reference to his own potential mortality in the tropics saddened both of them. In the past, Granger had relied on his father as his guide through the politics and intrigues of London. Caroline had largely replaced the earl in that role, but now that Granger and Caroline were having issues, Granger found himself back in his father’s political orbit. It seemed so natural to trust him, and so comfortable.

“I will keep it to myself, then. What happened?”

“I was bidden to dine with them, on the pretext of repairing our relationship. Freddie sent me a most sincere note. Lord Chartley had accompanied me to Portsmouth, and I invited him to join me.”

“That seems like the appropriate thing to do.”

Granger laughed sarcastically. “Yes, only when I got there, I did not receive the reception I had intended.” The earl looked at him curiously. “Both Chartley and I received blows on the head and were taken to separate parts of the house.” Granger showed his father the bump, which had gone down considerably but was still detectable, to validate his tale. “Lord Chartley was locked up in the attic, while I was taken to the basement. I was tied up and stripped naked.”

The earl’s eyes flew open in both horror and rage. Granger showed him the marks on his wrists where the ropes had burned him. The abrasions were still quite apparent. “What did they do to you?”

“They raped me,” Granger said simply, fighting back the anger and other emotions that whole experienced evoked. “I was blindfolded, but in the end, it slipped off enough that I could see the woman I was copulating with.” The earl looked at him, most anxious for the answer. “It was Davina.”

“Good lord!” The earl exclaimed. “What evil is too dastardly for that vile woman?”

“I am not sure, Father, but I discovered why she had done it. It appears that Freddie was not able to adequately consummate their marriage. Intercourse was painful for him, and almost impossible. She wanted to make sure that she gave our family an heir, and that it was an heir of our blood. This was her way to solve that issue.”

The earl got up and poured another glass of wine, only this one wasn’t watered down. “Perhaps you are safer in the tropics, away from these people.”

“That thought had occurred to me,” Granger said with a grin. “I broke up their household, and had their footmen, all thugs, pressed into the Navy.” The earl chuckled at that. “And I compelled Freddie to accompany me to my ship where my doctor attempted to medically correct his problem. I have not spoken to him since, so I do not know if the doctor was successful.”

“Are you alright?”

“I will live past the memory of it. It was certainly not pleasant.”

“I shouldn’t wonder,” the earl agreed.

“I will call on you after I have met with His Majesty,” Granger said, anxious now to make his reports.

“Thank you. We will provide you with some sustenance.” Granger laughed at that. “One more thing. When Spencer offers you this ship, you really don’t have much choice but to accept. He will be looking for a way to make it more palatable to you, nonetheless. If there is something you want, you should ask him then.”

Granger smiled. “I should like to be able to pick my own officers. If I am to be confined with people for over a year, I would like them to be people I know and trust.”

“Then you should make sure to get his pledge that you can do just that.” He took his leave from his father and headed to the Admiralty. He noted that his early start had served him well, and he had arrived at eight, a respectable time. His detour to talk to his father had not delayed him in executing his duty.

He checked in with the secretary, who asked him to return in an hour. Granger used that time to redeem the vouchers from the not-too-pleasant clerks. They were accommodating enough when Granger informed them that he’d be meeting with the First Lord shortly, and that any delays would cause him to blame his tardiness on their dilatory behavior. With his purse restored, he returned to the waiting room just in time for his scheduled meeting.

The secretary led him back to see Spencer, who seemed irritated to see him. “Did you pay off Belvidera?” He asked this without his normal, formal greeting.

“I did, my lord. I have my reports here.” He tried to hand the documents to Spencer, but he merely gestured to the desk, so Granger set them there.

Spencer just stared at him, as if trying to decide whether to break the news to him or not. “You’ve been selected to perform a special mission.”

“My lord?” Granger asked.

“You’re being sent to the Indies.”

“Apparently I have not been charming enough since my return, my lord. People must be anxious to get rid of me.” Granger said this with a smile, trying to make this easier for Spencer, whom he liked and respected.

Spencer gave him a wry grin. “That is probably not too far off the mark, although it is not of your doing. I’m sure you were quite charming.”

“Thank you, my lord.”

Lord Spencer

“Your brother, Albert, is being recalled. The government is most anxious to have him answer some questions about his conduct in the Indies. He seems to have made too damn much money. It is thought that if you go out there, he will return with you most willingly. Another messenger may not be so effective.”

“I do not recall having that much influence over my brother, my lord, but I will do as you ask.” Spencer nodded, and seemed almost disappointed by his acquiescence. “When will I have to leave?”

“That depends on many things, but I suspect it will be May before you can depart.”

“Begging your pardon, my lord, but won’t that put me in the South Seas just as the typhoon season begins?”

“I have some thoughts on that, but we can discuss that later.” Spencer got up and walked over to the wall and looked at a map of the world, and shook his head sadly. “Jervis will not be happy to lose his golden boy.”

“He has achieved great things with the Mediterranean Fleet, my lord,” Granger said honestly. He was feeling guilty about not returning to the Mediterranean as well, at letting down Jervis himself. “Have you selected a ship for me?” If he was going to be travelling around the world, he wanted to know what type of vessel he was going to be sailing in.

“I have. You are to be given the Bacchante.”

Granger searched his mind, trying to remember that ship. “I have not heard of her, my lord.”

“That is because she is brand new. She was recently launched at Woolwich, and is currently fitting out there. The newest frigate in the Navy, with lines roughly copied from the captured French ship Pomone, even though she is smaller than that ship.” The Pomone was one of the large French frigates, mounting over 40 guns, with 24-pounders on her main deck. Her capture had almost caused a panic in London, because no one knew that the French were building such monstrous frigates. “She is rated for 38 guns, with 18-pounders on her main deck, and 32-pounder carronades on her quarterdeck.”

Granger stared at him, amazed. This would be one of the most coveted frigates in the fleet. Built by a royal yard, not a private yard, the quality of her construction should be superb. And because she was of British construction, she should be durable and even more waterproof than Belvidera had been. But with a French design, it was hoped that she could achieve similar speed and handling to his previous ship. “Thank you, my lord.”

“I will send you orders to take command this week, and you can go read yourself in.”

“I have only two requests to make, my lord.”

Spencer’s eyes narrowed, but then he remembered that it was quite possible for Granger to get out of this assignment, and he was under a great deal of pressure to have him take on the challenge. “What are they?”

“I would like to select my own officers and crew, my lord.” Spencer glared at him over that. Granger wondered if he had already promised some of the positions to other people. “If I am to be gone for such a long time, I would like to choose those whom I must have trust and confidence in.”

“I have a few recommendations for you,” he said, “but I will leave the final decision to you.”

“Thank you, my lord.”

“And what is the other thing?”

“We experimented with iron water tanks on Belvidera, my lord. We found that they kept the water fresher for a longer period of time. I would like your permission to continue our experiment on Bacchante, especially since we will be travelling to the tropics, where keeping water potable is a greater challenge.”

“And how will you pay for this experiment?”

“From my own purse, my lord,” Granger said.

That seemed to remove Spencer’s biggest objection. “Very well. I will permit your experiment to continue. I will expect a report on your results when you return.”

“Aye aye my lord,” Granger said.

“When you select your officers, be sensitive to the fact that some of the men you have commanded before come from families that may not want their sons sent to such climates.” In other words, he should avoid the scions of rich and powerful families, since there was a good chance their son would die in the tropics.

“Lord Barnfield would have been one of my choices, my lord,” Granger said, referring to Clifton. “Should I not ask him to join me, or would it be appropriate to discuss it with the Marquess of Hartford first?”

Spencer pondered that briefly. “I think you may ask the Marquess. Let him take his son’s wrath if he says no.”

“Thank you, my lord.”

“Enjoy your time ashore, Granger.”

“I will try to do that, my lord,” Granger said. Recognizing that he’d been dismissed, he took his leave of Spencer and left the Admiralty. As he walked out, he was surrounded by a large group of people who cheered him on. He took off his hat and smiled to thank them while he fought his way through to his carriage. He rode off, and decided that based on the reception he’d gotten in London from those who were purportedly his friends, family, and lovers, and based on how annoying these crowds of people were, being gone for a year was a very attractive option.

 



 

The Chamberlain looked at him dubiously as he entered the Palace, as if to ascertain whether his appearance would pass muster with the King. Granger was wearing his new dress uniform, complete with new shoes and new stockings, and was quite confident that he was presentable. The chamberlain evidently came to the same conclusion as he led him through the palace to see the king. He scratched on a door, and then opened it, motioning Granger to enter. The King was seated at his desk, looking more like a merchant than a monarch.

           King George III

 

“The Honorable Captain Sir George Granger, Knight of the Bath,” the chamberlain announced, as if the King did not know who he was. Granger bowed deeply, moving his hat with a flourish, and then walked toward his sovereign, bowing again and repeating the flourish.

The King eyed him carefully, then looked at his papers for a while longer before finally addressed Granger. “You are on time.”

“Yes, Your Majesty,” Granger said. He knew the King could be a bit odd at times, so he was ready for that.

“I am most displeased with the conduct of my nephew and your wife,” the King said.

“Yes, Your Majesty,” Granger agreed, not knowing what else to say.

“This unholy liaison, this sin of the flesh, these are things that can ruin a marriage.”

“Your Majesty is of course correct that these things can ruin a marriage, but I feel confident that my marriage can survive this indiscretion.”

“You do?” the King almost demanded.

“Yes, Your Majesty. My wife has been a loyal and trusted partner, and a careful manager of our affairs when I have been gone. When I am home, she is most loving and attentive. She has given me three healthy children thus far, two of whom are sons. She has made an error in judgment, and she has asked me to forgive her for it. I will do so most willingly.”

The King eyed him carefully. “And what of this child?”

“I will raise the child as my own, Your Majesty. I would consider it an honor to claim a child with your bloodlines.”

“Who will know of this?”

“I have only confided in my father, and Lord Chartley, who has been a good friend to me and my family, Your Majesty. They will say nothing. With your permission, I should like to discuss it with your son, His Royal Highness the Prince of Wales.”

“You have impressed us, Sir George. You are an honorable and brave man.”

Granger almost gasped at that compliment. “I do not know how to thank Your Majesty for such kind words.”

The King smiled at him, and then the smile faded. “You are being sent overseas, but it is not to get rid of you.”

“I will go where you command, Your Majesty.”

“We will see you before you leave,” he said cryptically, but the line was clearly meant to dismiss him. “You will advise your wife to attend us only after the birth of her baby. It would please us if she spent most of her time at Brentwood.” In other words, Caroline’s punishment was to be banned from society until at least September, when the baby would presumably be born.

“Yes, Your Majesty,” Granger said. He bowed deeply, then backed away from the King, and bowed again at the door before letting himself out.

The whole meeting had taken half an hour, so with the day still young, Granger opted to finish his meetings on this topic. He instructed his coachman to drive to Carleton House. He felt it unlikely that he would actually get to see the Prince of Wales, but he hoped that he would at least be able to make an appointment.

The Prince of Wales’ chamberlain knew him from his many appearances at Carleton House, and he knew that the Prince was rather fond of Granger, so he deigned to let the Prince know that Granger was actually there. As luck would have it, the Prince was available, and sober, and agreed to receive him. The chamberlain led Granger to a room much as the King’s chamberlain had done, and Granger entered the room, bowing to his future sovereign just as he had done to his king. There were a few men with him, including Brummel, and it appeared that they were fitting the Prince for a new outfit. Brummel saw Granger and smiled at him in an almost flirtatious manner, then looked away, as if he had to force himself to take his eyes off the handsome captain.

“Granger! What brings you here in the afternoon? I don’t even have my dice warmed up.”

Granger laughed. “I fear I will need to restock my purse before I play again, Your Royal Highness.” His tone became more serious. “I have come to see you about a more personal and private matter. If this is a bad time to discuss it, I can certainly return at your convenience.”

The Prince eyed him with the same steely expression Granger had gotten from the King, and then turned to the men with him. “Gentlemen, I bid you to please leave us for a few moments.”

 

The Prince of Wales (became King George IV)

“Of course, Your Royal Highness,” they said, bowing as they vanished into the nether regions of the palace, leaving Granger and the Prince alone.

“What is on your mind?”

Granger swallowed, and found he was actually a bit nervous. “I have come to ask for your assistance, Your Royal Highness.”

“Go on.”

“Sir, my wife has been having an affair with His Highness Prince William of Gloucester.”

“That is not so great a surprise,” the Prince observed coolly. “They have been less than discreet.”

“So I understand, Your Royal Highness. It seems that this affair is to yield tangible fruit. My wife is bearing His Highness’ child.”

The Prince eyed him sympathetically, and Granger fought back the irritation at once again being pitied as the cuckolded husband. Yet the Prince himself had slept with married women; Lady Jersey was married. He could hardly claim moral outrage. “How can we help?”

“I am to be dispatched overseas on a lengthy mission, Your Royal Highness. If something should happen to me, or to my wife, I would ask that you would watch out for my children, especially this new child. It is my intention to raise him or her as my own.”

“That is most admirable, Granger,” the Prince said, eying him with a marked degree of respect. “We will watch out for your progeny, all of them.”

“Thank you, Your Royal Highness. I am also hoping that you can help guide His Highness in the correct way to conduct himself in such a matter.”

“Indeed?”

“Yes, Your Royal Highness. I understand why my wife had an affair with him, and I would not otherwise object but for two things. The first is their lack of discretion, which makes me look ridiculous when I am not privy to the affair in the first place.” Granger had chosen to phrase it that way so as to contrast that to the Prince and his affairs, where things were quite open. Lord Jersey was under no illusions about the relationship between his wife and the Prince of Wales.

“That is most understandable.”

“Thank you, Your Royal Highness. The other part of that is that His Highness treats me with a marked level of disrespect.”

“How does he do that?”

“Your Royal Highness, when he sees me at court, or in public, he smirks at me, as if he is gloating to my face that he has carnal knowledge of my wife. If he were to merely treat me pleasantly and courteously, I could pretend that such an affair was not happening. And others would not notice his looks. It is as if he is trying to humiliate me.” The Prince’s eyes narrowed at that. “And as I am not home all that often, it would be nice if he would allow me some time with my wife. When I called upon His Majesty last week, His Highness was at my house, in an intimate meeting with my wife. When I attended Your Royal Highness last week, he was similarly intimate with my wife. I am being made to look somewhat ridiculous.”

“So you’re not asking me to tell him to leave your wife alone?”

“No, Your Royal Highness. I will be gone for at least a year, and I do not object to my wife finding solace in his arms. I am merely asking that he treat me with respect so I can maintain my dignity in public. And on those occasions when I am home, it would be nice if he would allow me to enjoy my wife without intrusions.”

The Prince actually laughed at that. “Most men would have made demands or threats, attempting to defend their wife’s virtue. You’re merely asking to be treated decently. You are quite the gentleman, Granger.”

“Thank you, Your Royal Highness.”

“I will explain things to him, and if the situation does not improve, I will take more drastic actions.”

“I am in Your Royal Highness’ debt,” Granger said. He recognized that his interview was at an end, and bowed himself out just as he’d done with the King.

He went to his parents’ home for supper and told his father what had happened. The earl seemed pleased. Then Granger went home and took a bath all by himself. He was lonely, feeling sad and unloved. It was rare for him to indulge in a pity session where he wallowed in his own misery, but he granted himself permission to do just that. He had so engrossed himself that he didn’t hear anyone come in, and wasn’t aware that he wasn’t alone until he heard someone step in the bath.

“I heard you were back in London,” Chartley said with a grin. “I figured I’d come welcome you home.”

“What a wonderful idea,” Granger said. A smile broke out across his face, and all of his depression and sadness evaporated with the presence of this handsome peer.

Copyright © 2012 Mark Arbour; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 50
  • Love 5
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

A prized new ship built at the Navy yard, to be fitted with iron water tanks as well and manned by a crew selected by Granger; it's truly a plum post.

George's personal affairs are being put in order. Somehow the reaction of Granger's father to the news about George's rape by Davina seemed understated....

George's request of the Prince of Wales was also modest.

As usual the writing and pacing is just about perfect and the author keeps us guessing as to what is coming next. Additionally, as this tale winds down, we are getting the set-up for the next piece of the epic.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Hehehe! The Bacchante! Named after a high priestess of Bacchus. I wonder if the ship's name portends for wild times on the high seas. And the favor Sir George seems to be granted by the King and the Prince of Wales underscores that he is no ordinary person. So is he going to tell the Duke of Clarence, as well? And there goes George walking smack into another one of Bertie's webs! But perhaps Bertie's intervention in his life, once again, will prove to be not so bad a thing. It will be interesting to see the composition of his new crew. Thanks, Mark, for another wonderful chapter. I must confess that everytime I log onto GayAuthors, I whisper to myself, "St. Vincent, St. Vincent, St. Vincent!" much in the same way someone might call out for lucky cherries while working the slots. LOL! :-) Looking forward to the next chapter, as always!

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
On 03/16/2012 02:21 AM, rjo said:
Honesty, I have been waiting for the two meetings, the one with the King and the other with the Prince of Wales. I must say the wait was worth it. I also like the interaction between George and his father the Earl. The idea of George getting a bran new ship even of it is a long journey must bring up the blood. I feel that George is happiest at sea. Even though he misses his family he needs the adventure. Seeing Berries again and bringing him home will alsobe a treat. Again, hats off another outstanding chapter.
Thanks. I agree with you about George being happiest at sea. Especially now, when it sucks to be home.
  • Like 5
Link to comment
On 03/16/2012 03:11 AM, Daddydavek said:
A prized new ship built at the Navy yard, to be fitted with iron water tanks as well and manned by a crew selected by Granger; it's truly a plum post.

George's personal affairs are being put in order. Somehow the reaction of Granger's father to the news about George's rape by Davina seemed understated....

George's request of the Prince of Wales was also modest.

As usual the writing and pacing is just about perfect and the author keeps us guessing as to what is coming next. Additionally, as this tale winds down, we are getting the set-up for the next piece of the epic.

Set up for the next piece? Most definitely.
  • Like 5
Link to comment
On 03/16/2012 06:06 AM, Rosicky said:
Hehehe! The Bacchante! Named after a high priestess of Bacchus. I wonder if the ship's name portends for wild times on the high seas. And the favor Sir George seems to be granted by the King and the Prince of Wales underscores that he is no ordinary person. So is he going to tell the Duke of Clarence, as well? And there goes George walking smack into another one of Bertie's webs! But perhaps Bertie's intervention in his life, once again, will prove to be not so bad a thing. It will be interesting to see the composition of his new crew. Thanks, Mark, for another wonderful chapter. I must confess that everytime I log onto GayAuthors, I whisper to myself, "St. Vincent, St. Vincent, St. Vincent!" much in the same way someone might call out for lucky cherries while working the slots. LOL! :-) Looking forward to the next chapter, as always!
I thought that was the perfect name for the ship. ;-)
  • Like 4
Link to comment

Damn, a long trip and anything can happen. He will have a while to get ready but still, not sure I like Granger going that far again so soon.

 

Bertie being recalled, I have to wonder if there is not another side to this story. I am not sure that even having George there is going to make Bertie very happy about this....

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Hmmm...a brand new ship? Sounds like they are trying to do exactly what his father suspected despite the King's assurances. Thanks for the work.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

The new ship will hopefully handle well as expected.  I do hope that the Admiralty will allow George to recruit many of his crew as is possible, especially the key members. It would be nice if Llewellyn will be among those also. George needs to work for the next two months to make the ship ready and repair his reputation.  I do wonder what his father will decide to do with the information about Freddie and Davina, especially if the child is a male.  I would think that George's mother and father taking custody of the child after its birth might be better for all.  I do wonder how Caroline will react both to his new assignment and news of her exile by order of the king. It was great to hear both the King and Prince will assist George in his endeavours.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

George couldn't have hoped for a better ship. This might not work out badly at all.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..