Jump to content
    Mawgrim
  • Author
  • 3,384 Words
  • 1,826 Views
  • 15 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction that combine worlds created by the original content owner with names, places, characters, events, and incidents that are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, organizations, companies, events or locales are entirely coincidental.
Authors are responsible for properly crediting Original Content creator for their creative works.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Dragonriders of Pern series was created by Ann McCaffrey in 1967 and spans 24+ books published by Ballantine Books, Atheneum Books, Bantam Books, and Del Rey Books.  Any recognizable content in this story is from Ann McCaffrey, Todd McCaffrey, Gigi McCaffrey or their representatives or inheritors.  <br> Original content provided by author of this FanFiction story without monetary compensation. <br>

To the Weyr - 10. Valley Narrows

Jevikel had been to Valley Narrows a few times before. From Pinnacle Hold a steep road wound through the foothills; hard on the cart’s brakes going down and a tough climb on the return journey. Vikkel drove the cart with its cargo of cheeses; far fewer than the usual number due to the losses they’d suffered. Behind it, the flock of herdbeasts were driven by three of them; Jevikel, Gatri and her younger brother Girtal.

It was easy preventing the herd from straying over the first part of the journey. The road wound between high bluffs, with barely any space to either side. Once they’d rounded the second turn though, the right hand side sloped away to an expanse of scree dotted with low growing, hardy bushes. Far below, the valley spread out in a patchwork of fields, green with new crops. After the third turn came the first sight of Valley Narrows itself, grey stone brightened by banners hung over the face of the Outer Hold. On a clear morning like this, it looked almost close enough to touch, but Jevikel knew that was just an illusion. The road didn’t follow the shortest route, instead hugging the contours of the hills. On a dragon, flying in a straight line, it would be less than half the distance than by road.

Further down, scree gave way to grassland, then lower still, to orchards and fields. A shelter extended out from a natural cave lay in the lee of the cliffs here; the place he’d told Rosh and Col to head for. He’d always assumed it had been built for travellers who needed a place to stay at night, but now he realised it would also provide refuge for those caught by Threadfall. The building certainly looked ancient enough for that. Beyond the arched entrance was a large enough room to hold several people and their beasts, plus a couple of carts. Traders must have used it in those long ago times. Jevikel guessed they’d had to plan their routes carefully to avoid being stranded between shelters or destinations. Would they soon be forced to do that again?

Stop thinking about Thread, he told himself, but now that it had lodged in his mind, it was hard to let go. How much warning would they have beforehand? Would it be better to double back to the shelter, or to press on towards the safety of Valley Narrows?

The road levelled out as it came closer to the Hold, widening as well. There were many small farmholds and cots to either side, with well-worn tracks leading to this main route. Jevikel and the other two had to keep the herdbeasts well over to one side to allow a laden cart to pass in the opposite direction. Then they had to avoid a group of women walking toward the Hold. It was strange for Jevikel to see so many people who were unknown to him. At Pinnacle, you might be closer to some than others, but you knew them all, their skills and relationships. In a place like Valley Narrows, how would you begin to remember everyone’s names?

Once under the archway, into the outer courtyard, there were even more people. They drove the small herd over to the beast pens while Vikkel talked to the man in charge of the sales. Once their beasts had been counted and logged, they made their way inside. Jevikel remembered the huge pens, where many runner beasts rushed forward to greet the newcomers, snorting and whinnying. They uncoupled the cart alongside a few others that had already arrived.

‘It’s so vast!’ Gatri’s eyes flicked around the huge inner courtyard. Although enclosed by rock, as all Holds were, it was much more spacious than anywhere at Pinnacle. Rectangular openings to the outside provided plenty of light and air. Human and animal sounds mingled with those of people working; the sharp noise of a smith’s hammer striking metal, men unloading barrels from a cart and rolling them away to storage, a woman calling out for passers by to purchase hot klah and buns from her shop. Jevikel tried to visualise how much larger Bitra Hold might be. Twice the size? Three times?

‘Come on, lad. There’s work to be done.’ Vikkel led the way as they unloaded the precious cargo to a storeroom where it would be secured before going on sale. Once their duties were done they were free to explore.

The market didn’t open fully until tomorrow, but a few stalls had already been set out and were busily selling their wares. Jevikel bought hot meat rolls for the three of them. The taste of the spiced filing and thick pastry was even better than he remembered, probably because his diet had been so lacking in flavour or variety lately. The aroma of freshly brewed klah led them to another stall, where sweet pastries were also on sale. Although Vikkel had exhorted him to be careful with his marks, Jevikel’s stomach nagged him otherwise. Girtal and Gatri tucked into theirs just as readily.

‘This klah tastes wonderful,’ Gatri sighed, hands cupped around the colourful mug.

‘Less water, more bark.’ Jevikel wished Kadin was here to share these treats. He imagined Kadin playing his pipes up in the hills, enjoying the same spring sunshine as they had here. Although maybe with Berrand, he wouldn’t risk playing. That was a pity…

Jevikel realised Gatri had been talking to him. ‘Eh? What?’

‘You looked as if you were somewhere else.’

‘Just thinking, that’s all. Trying to work out how much larger Bitra Hold might be.’ It wasn’t exactly a lie.

‘I don’t know as I’d want to live somewhere even as big as this,’ Gatri looked around her yet again.

‘This food’s good,’ Girtal put in, still chewing the last corner of his pastry.

‘Well, yes. But it’s not cheap. And we could make just the same back home,’ she told her brother.

‘Why don’t we, then?’ he piped up.

Jevikel warmed to him, even if Gatri looked disapproving. ‘Because life at Pinnacle Hold isn’t meant to be enjoyable,’ he said, thinking it sounded like something Kadin might say.

Gatri stared at him wide-eyed. ‘Your father wouldn’t like to hear you speaking like that.’

‘He’s not here.’ He’d gone to an ale house, ostensibly to talk business. ‘And it’s true.’ Although the shake had set them back, Pinnacle had done well for several Turns prior to that. They weren’t poor, but the need to scrimp and save had become ingrained. Learning more about how the Hold worked had made that clear to him. ‘When Lengiorl and Sisala married there wasn’t even any music or dancing. That doesn’t cost anything.’

Gatri shrugged. ‘No one at the Hold can play music.’

‘And no one’s encouraged to learn. I bet there are quite a few small farmholds where no one can play, but they still beat out time with a drum and people sing along.’ Being away from Pinnacle made it easier to say such things. It was as if the oppressive atmosphere had been left behind them. An image flashed into Jevikel’s mind; the whole of Bitra bathed in sunshine on a bright spring morning except for one part swathed in murky cloud.

‘What you don’t know about you can’t miss.’ Gatri said. It sounded like something Jemina might have quoted, back in the days when she lectured folk. ‘Anyway, we’re happy enough, aren’t we?’ Having finished her klah, she returned the mug to the stall and linked arms with Jevikel. ‘Come on. Let’s see what else is here.’

The next two days flew by. There was so much to see and do as the market got underway. Even spending an afternoon at the beast auction was interesting. Pinnacle Hold’s horned herdbeasts fetched a good price, as always. So did the cheese. Vikkel was in good humour and gave Jevikel a few extra marks which he spent mostly on food, shared with the other two. For the first time in months his belly didn’t feel empty when he tried to sleep.

On the third day, Vikkel purchased supplies to take back with them. It was mid-afternoon when they began loading the cart. As they worked, Jevikel became aware of a commotion in the Outer Hold. People looked out through the archway and pointed. Others hurried outside.

‘Wonder what’s happening?’

Vikkel stacked another sack of flour. ‘Probably a fight or something. Best not to get involved.’

It didn’t sound like a fight. Girtal went to look, not being strong enough to heft the sacks, then came running back, a grin on his face. ‘It’s dragons! Four of them, on the heights.’

‘Good job we’ve sold our beasts, then,’ Vikkel grunted. ‘Dragons might have eaten a couple of ‘em.’ He seemed totally disinterested in what was going on. ‘Pass us another sack,’ he told Jevikel.

They carried on loading, while Jevikel wondered why dragons had arrived. He’d been to market before and had never known them visit Valley Narrows. Unless it was for a similar reason they’d come to Pinnacle, warning of Thread. How long would people pay attention to warnings when the expected attacks never came?

Gatri passed up the lighter items, as did Girtal. Being younger, he was less able to hide his feelings; it was clear he wanted to go outside and watch what was going on.

‘Take a break,’ Vikkel said at last. ‘Go and look at the dragons if you must.’ Girtal ran off almost at once. Jevikel only hesitated for a moment before following, Gatri just behind him. Maybe his father thought it immature; he didn’t care right then.

Two dragons rested on either side of the arch. One of them, on the right, was the largest he’d ever seen. Its hide gleamed with a metallic sheen. A bronze, he realised. It dwarfed the petite green next to it. The riders were nowhere to be seen; they were probably talking with the Holder, Karsten.

‘They’re so beautiful,’ Gatri said. ‘But frightening, too. What if they’re hungry?’

‘Dragons don’t eat people,’ he assured her. ‘That’s just another of those silly rumours.’ He remembered how he’d felt when the blue dragon - Relth - had looked at him that day. Not at all threatened, even if it had seemed as if all his innermost hopes and desires were laid bare. Once again, he wished Kadin was here to see this spectacle.

People jostled them from either side. He heard snippets of conversation. ‘Thread’s coming, so I heard.’ One or two cast uneasy glances at the sky, but it looked innocent enough with just a few fluffy white clouds obscuring the perfect blue of a spring afternoon.

They didn’t have long to wait. Karsten emerged from the Inner Hold flanked by the four riders. They all climbed the steps to the platform where, just the day before, the auctioneer had been conducting business. The press of people pushed Jevikel and his companions closer.

Karsten held up his hands to quiet them, then proceeded to speak. ‘You’ll all be wondering why dragonriders have come here today. Now, I’ll freely admit I was sceptical about Thread returning…’

Jevikel heard the word echoed by many folk in the audience. Gatri slipped her hand into his and he almost felt a sense of dread descend over everyone standing there.

Karsten continued after a moment. ‘Yes, I was sceptical, but the sad truth is that Thread has returned to Pern. I’ll leave it to the Weyrleader to tell you more.’

A tall man with black hair stepped forward. He carried his authority well. ‘Thank you,’ he said politely to Karsten, before projecting his voice over the stilled crowd. ‘We at the Weyr realised a Pass was about to begin, but we couldn’t give any firm dates up until now. I have to tell you that Thread has already fallen in some parts of Pern; Nerat, Igen, Ista and more recently over Telgar and the Benden vineyards. I can now confirm there will be a Fall in this area tomorrow. We can’t predict to the minute, but it should start mid-afternoon and will move in a south westward direction over Valley Narrows and the land surrounding…’

Panic started to ripple through the crowd. Voices rose steadily. Jevikel felt himself jostled as some people tried to push through the crowd. The Weyrleader cast a brief glance to the great bronze dragon, who bugled loudly. It did the trick. Everyone stopped, looking toward the platform again.

‘I understand your concern and your need to warn families and friends. Rest assured the Weyrs are ready to fight, to protect you, your livestock and your lands. Benden Weyr’s dragons will be in the sky tomorrow to sear Thread, but many of you will have a part to play, as well.’

He went on to describe how each Holder would be asked to assign men as ground crew, to observe Fall and to signal to dragonriders if Thread reached the ground. ‘Within the next few days flamethrowers will be brought to each Hold, directly from the Smithcrafthall. You’ll be instructed in their use and servicing. That will allow each Holder to effectively protect their lands, although it’s important not to put yourselves at risk. If in doubt, leave it to us and our dragons.’

Karsten stepped forward again. ‘I’ll be holding a meeting later today to coordinate the defence for Valley Narrows. I’m also closing the market as of now, to allow visitors plenty of time to return to their own farmholds and cots. By the time Thread falls, people and animals need to be safely under cover. For those of you who have been as sceptical as I was, I have this to say. We were wrong and Thread has returned. All we can do now is follow the Weyr’s instructions to ensure we get through this unharmed.’

Jevikel assumed the riders would be visiting many places today. If they hadn’t already been to Pinnacle, then they would probably get there later. But what about Kadin and Berrand, up in the hills. Who would warn them? As the crowd began to disperse, he pushed his way towards the platform. He wasn’t alone. Quite a few people, mostly older and bulkier than he was, were already crowding around to ask questions. The dragonriders had split up and were trying to answer these. In most cases it seemed reassurance was needed that they would be covering every area.

‘That’s right,’ Jevikel heard one rider say. ‘If any Thread falls to ground in your neighbour’s field, then we’ll stop it spreading to yours as well.’

‘What about my herdbeasts?’ asked a heavyset man with a bushy beard. ‘I don’t have the space to keep them all under cover.’

‘Pen them up, so they don’t run off. Having dragons overhead can scare beasts.’

‘How fast does this Thread eat stuff?’

‘Very fast.’ The rider looked serious. ‘The only way to stop it is fire, freezing, or sufficient water to drown it.’

‘So, does rain kill it?’ another man shouted.

‘A torrential downpour can. Drizzle or fine rain, probably not.’

‘How can I get one of those flamethrowers you were talking about?’

The questions went on and on. Jevikel was still three or four rows away from the front. If only people would move aside once they’d got their answer, he might stand a chance of getting through. It didn’t look as if the riders were going anywhere, though. Eventually, he managed to get closer, although it meant being crushed between two others to the extent he could barely breathe sufficiently to speak. ‘I’m from Pinnacle Hold,’ he gasped out. ‘We have beasts grazing in the hills and herders with them. Who’s going to warn them?’

The Weyrleader was nearest to him. ‘Do they have stone shelters?’ he asked.

‘Yes, but they might not be close enough if they don’t know what’s coming.’ Jevikel struggled to keep his place as someone trod on his left foot. Good job he was wearing stout boots. ‘And there’s nowhere to pen beasts up there.’

‘Our sweep riders should find them in plenty of time to give warning.’

The Weyrleader moved on to the next query as Jevikel was pushed back from the platform. He was reassured, yet it still didn’t answer the question of what would happen to the beasts. Even if the dragons burned all of the Thread, there could be heavy losses in the panic to get away. Pregnant animals sometimes miscarried through stress.

Gatri grabbed at his arm. ‘Your father’s looking for us. He wants to leave as soon as this crowd clears.’

‘Good.’ It was a long haul uphill with a fully laden cart. Even if they left in an hour or so, they’d not make it back before dark. That would mean staying at the roadside shelter, then setting off first thing in the morning. When had they said Thread was due? Mid afternoon, wasn’t it? That should allow plenty of time to reach the safety of Pinnacle Hold. Although how safe was it, with reed thatch on the barns and the Outer Hold?

Vikkel was roping the goods securely when Jevikel and Gatri returned. ‘Right,’ he said. ‘Gatri, if you could run and fetch our things, then Jevikel can bring the runner beasts over here. The road’s going to be busy and I want us to be one of the first away.’

Jevikel got the runner beasts harness on in record time then led them across and backed them up between the shafts. By then, Gatri had arrived with their bags and clothes. Jevikel boosted her up while Girtal scrambled on board, perching on top of the piled sacks of grain and flour.

‘You sit up front with me,’ Vikkel said, patting the seat next to him.

Jevikel climbed up and they were away, only to be held up in the courtyard. Although the dragons had gone, groups of people still stood around talking and some of the stalls were already being taken down. By the time they got through, several other carts were ahead of them on the road, most going in the same direction.

‘Come on, come on,’ Vikkel muttered under his breath. ‘You’d think they’d be in more of a hurry.’

‘Maybe they don’t have so far to travel as we do,’ Jevikel suggested. He felt the same impatience, though. ‘I spoke to the Weyrleader,’ he said. ‘I was worried about our animals and folk up in the hills, but he assured me they flew over the area beforehand to make sure everyone knows what’s coming.’

Vikkel nodded grimly. ‘How are they going to keep the beasts safe up there?’

‘Maybe they can get them inside a cave?’ Jevikel knew how difficult that would be. Even if you could drive most of the herd inside, how to keep them there? In any case, they might not be close to any caves.

‘Maybe,’ Vikkel echoed. He must be having the same doubts.

Up in the hills, the beasts were free to wander. Rounding them up would probably take too long. Jevikel just hoped Kadin and Berrand didn’t carry on trying in disregard of their own safety. If only he was up there with them…

It was slow progress away from Valley Narrows. One by one, the other carts turned off the main route towards their own homes. Once they had a clear road and before the gradient became too steep, Vikkel drove the runner beasts faster as the sun slowly sank in the western sky. By the time they reached the roadside shelter, long shadows stretched across the road and dusk was beginning to fall.

‘We’ll set off again at dawn,’ Vikkel told them. ‘Get a good run back. Although they might need a couple of rests. It’s a steep climb, after all.’

Gatri had made a fire. She sat in front of it with her arms clasped around her knees. ‘I’m scared,’ she said to Jevikel. ‘What if something goes wrong? One of the runner beasts might go lame, or a wheel break on the cart…’

‘There’s no point worrying needlessly,’ he assured her. ‘We’ve plenty of time. Everything will be fine.’ If only he felt as confident as he sounded.

©1967-2022 Ann McCaffrey, Todd McCaffrey, Gigi McCaffrey; All Rights Reserved; Copyright © 2022 Mawgrim; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 20
  • Love 14
  • Fingers Crossed 4
New chapters will be posted each Thursday.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction that combine worlds created by the original content owner with names, places, characters, events, and incidents that are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, organizations, companies, events or locales are entirely coincidental.
Authors are responsible for properly crediting Original Content creator for their creative works.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Dragonriders of Pern series was created by Ann McCaffrey in 1967 and spans 24+ books published by Ballantine Books, Atheneum Books, Bantam Books, and Del Rey Books.  Any recognizable content in this story is from Ann McCaffrey, Todd McCaffrey, Gigi McCaffrey or their representatives or inheritors.  <br> Original content provided by author of this FanFiction story without monetary compensation. <br>

Story Discussion Topic

It is with great sadness I must announce the death of Mawgrim, Promising Author on GA. He had been in declining health for some time and passed away on Christmas Day. Mawgrim worked for decades as a cinema projectionist before his retirement and was able to use this breadth of knowledge to his stories set in cinemas. He also gave us stories with his take on the World of Pern with its dragon riders. He will be greatly missed and our condolences go out to his friends, family, and his husband.
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..