Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

WHISPERS - 7. Chapter 7

When you want to be normal, you might want to think about what you might be wishing for isn’t a bed of roses

Well, first week of public school is now in the history books. I don’t think it would be a popular bestseller, but I will have lots of fond memories of it. I even thought at the time that my dad was more excited for the double date weekend than I was.. Dad insisted on picking everyone up and then taking them home after. The only thing I wanted to be sure of, “You’re the best dad anyone could ask for. I love how excited you are to be our chaperone, but I don’t want you coming into the theater, I need to do things by myself too.”

” You got it buddy, I was going to the diner in the square. You guys can take your time and come find me when you’re ready to go home. The girls parents want them home by 11 so don’t wander around too long.” Dad nudged me when he stressed too long. I knew immediately what he was implying.

As we picked up the girls I turned to both of them. “You girls look fantastic.” Dad spit on his windshield, and the girls giggled.

Charlie was so quick witted, “And you smell delicious.” Dad choked on his breath that time. Myra said she didn’t get it, so Sheila explained we switched what we would normally say. We all had a good chuckle then.

After we got into the theater we found there was only one spot in the middle of the row with four seats together. Charlie politely asked a group of three guys to move down so we could have the end. One of them sounded like a real jerk even before he spoke. I could hear his bothersome sigh and his low chuckling friends. “I don’t think so. We chose these seats for a reason and I think you should just squeeze through.”

”C’mon dude, my buddy is blind and he can’t squeeze through without stepping on everybody.” Charlie started to get irritated but was attempting to keep calm.

The main jerk sarcastically said, “I have restless leg syndrome.” His buddy next to him said, “Lazy eye.” The third one, “Hemroids.”

Before I could stop myself I jest, “I know how you got that.” The people who were close by laughed hard. Charlie chimed in, “I was going to tell you to go screw yourself but it sounds like your buddies do that for you.”

What stopped the three of them from swinging their fists were the other people in the crowd laughing at them, and I learned later, two large men stood up to intimidate the thugs. The best part was that instead of scooting down they just left to sounds of cheers from the audience.

Myra held my hand as the movie started, and even though the movie had lots of action sound effects, she put her head on my shoulder. I wound up carefully putting my arm across her shoulders. I got a kiss on the cheek for that. She whispered in my ear that Charlie and Sheila were holding hands and that Sheila really likes him.

After cheers from the audience for enjoying the movie, we slowly made our way out to the street. The girls wanted to step into an alley for a quick makeout session. The kind of gentle kisses that Myra shared were sublime. If it only lasted for one minute it still would have been heavenly to me. But, it was so magical that time seemed to stand still.

”Well what do we have here boys? If it isn’t Helen Keller and her man servant.” I knew that voice instantly. I thought I would just stay quiet so I could hear whatever movements might come next. With one arm I moved Myra behind me and felt Charlie come to my side while trying to reason with them, “look guys, we didn’t mean for it to work out like that, we are just trying to have a nice date with these pretty girls.”

”Yeah, they are definitely pretty and I bet they’d have a better time with the three of us.” I heard the evil low snickers from his entourage followed by more movement and another voice moving in.

”Whats going on in here boys?” I could tell it was an adult and realized it sounded like Grady. I felt a slight relief and knew he would be able to handle the three of them. “Why don’t you three take off and leave these guys alone?”

An awkward silence hovered over everyone. Wouldn’t you know Charlie had to be the one to speak first. “Go ahead, take off, I’m sure you’ll have another chance to tell us about your feelings.”

”You’re damn right we’ll get another chance and you will be the only one’s worried about how you feel.” Then I heard them boasting as they walked away.

”Thanks Grady. You really saved us.” I walked up to him and wrapped my arms around him.

”Ok, well these boys are going to be a problem for you boys and they wouldn’t have much of a problem with using the girls to get to you. So, I would like to start some training for you all tomorrow, and after school during the week. When these thugs decide to come after you, there might not be anyone to help fast enough.” The girls quickly agreed and gave Grady a hug for coming to our rescue. Grady then walked close by as we made our way to the diner.

”Toby. you were so brave, somehow I felt like you were capable of defending me even with your disadvantage.” She didn’t mean that to sound rude.

”Well, Grady and my dad had taught me that my disadvantage is actually more of a disadvantage to them. They think it makes me weak and vulnerable, so they will try to make cheap shots. What they don’t know is that I have a highly developed use of sound, smell and vibrations in the air and all around. Sure they can get a shot or two in, but so can I. With my tactical training I can predict what they would want to do and with the defensive training I can avoid hits and not let the blows get me out of the fight. But, Myra, Grady is right, they might be able to get to you or Sheila, and that could be the thing that will make me surrender.” I put my arm around her as she held me tight while we finished the walk the rest of the way.

Grady filled my dad in with the situation, “Toby, let’s leave that part out of the story you tell your mom.”

”Absolutely. I don’t want her freaking out about everything I want to do.” Dad quickly said “exactly right.”

The ride to drop off the girls was a buzz of excitement and fears. The three of them constantly telling my dad how brave I was. Nobody had to tell me how proud he was to hear that. It was like he had been training me for this day my whole life.

Copyright © 2023 PhillMakracken; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
  • Love 7
Although I do have first hand experience with some of these issues, I have not actually lived a life with them. Forgive me if I don’t get it exactly correct. It is fiction after all 
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Thank you for this latest chapter,Charlie & Toby and The Two Young Ladies had a Wonderful Date Night . The Three Older Boys who tried to cause problems showed up outside the theater, But Grady a Family Friend of Toby’s came to their rescue. Thank you again Phillip! 

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..