Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

WHISPERS - 6. Chapter 6

The Big Day

First day of public school, we agreed to meet with Myra halfway and we’d ride together. I wasn’t nervous about the ride, we actually rode it once with my mom following in the car so she can feel better about letting me do it. We rode the allowed trek a second time just so we didn’t feel nervous about my mom following us with her preconceived paranoid notions. What I was worried about was being in small spaces with lots of people. Mrs Jenkins met Charlie and I one day to go through many possible scenarios of people pushing or cutting me off. Before school was about to begin, I met with the Jenkins once again with Myra and my parents. We met with the staff to share what I am capable of and what I may occasionally need some help with. I thought I felt pretty good about how to get to the places I needed to be. But, these are kids who’ve known each other for a long time, and I was the needy new person, and the what if’s were flying through my head.

in all actuality, the ride was smooth, and the air was a delightful blend of plants, restaurants, Charlie and Myra. Chatter was everywhere as we stopped on the side of the school where the bike racks are kept. Soon we had our backpacks and we started moving towards the school doors. We agreed to, basically, let me walk without holding hands or anything like that. Myra and Charlie used word clues to give me directions like, “(so and so) is walking fast from the left.” Meaning slow down. Or “a group of guys on left.” It was very simple and helpful. I could hear and feel most of their movements and energy, so it wasn’t too difficult.

My locker was specifically selected for me by Lisa Jenkins. I got the first locker at the start of the row. It helped to not have to bump into too many of my classmates while finding mine. Charlie got the one after mine and Myra the third one. While digging through my locker Charlie whispered, “Don’t worry Toby, I won’t let anything bad happen to you. Your doing great!”

I whispered back, ”I feel pretty good so far, at least better than I imagined I would be.”

Myra came up on my other side as we headed to the first class we three had together. “Math, I hate it, but I feel better with you both in it with me.” That was Myra, she was more of the popular socialite than the book kind of girl.

After I sat in the seat, that had been pre-assigned for me, the teacher asked me to introduce myself, “Sure, I’d be happy to, it seems a bit dark in here though, don’t you think?” A couple gasps and a few chuckles. “Just kidding. I am completely blind, and I was born that way, so I don’t really know light from dark other than sometimes the temperature changes and the amount of sounds between daytime and nighttime. Oh yeah, my name is Toby and yeah, that’s it I guess.”

After a few welcomes and a few laughs the teacher went on with her lesson. I had heard about people passing notes in class, so I thought it was amusing when someone passed me a note. I wasn’t even sure where it came from or who to pass it to. After I was obviously showing confusion Charlie said, “try reading it.”

I actually felt my face get flushed and hot, it was in braille: ‘Do you want to be my boyfriend, yes or no.’

My face got flushed again. Well, I wasn’t sure if it was from Myra or Charlie. Plus, I wasn’t sure how to respond. Thankfully Charlie leaned close, “it’s from Myra.”

I used my handy little typewriter and marked yes on it. And then passed it back. I wasn’t sure what I was supposed to do next so I just focused on class. While walking out Myra asked what I wrote. I felt compelled to be coy. “Better question is how you knew braille.”

”My friend Samantha has an Uncle who is blind, he wrote it for me.” She was very sweet and kissed my cheek.

”Well, then I guess you’ll have to ask Samantha’s uncle what I said.” Charlie laughed out loud and Myra pulled me close to her.

”No I don’t, I already know the answer.” She kissed my cheek again. “I gotta go to my other classes but we have lunch together, so I will find you guys then.”

Charlie let me know we were at our class, “That girl sure has the hots for you. Don’t get me wrong, I see what she’s attracted to. I know you don’t know this, but you are a very beautiful dude. Like, guys wish they were as beautiful as you are. Hell, I think I would even choose to be blind to be as sexy as you.”

I didn’t know what to say and thankfully we didn’t have any time before we got class started. One class after the other and we were on our way to lunch. Somebody came right up beside me so I said, “Hi Myra.”

”Oh! How did you know?” She was really shocked.

” I know that sweet smell anywhere.” I grabbed her hand.

”My perfume? Lots of girls wear it.” She was truly confused.

”That’s nice too, but you have your own unique smell that you couldn’t cover up from me.” And with that my best friend and my girlfriend helped me select my lunch and find a table.

Myra on my left got Charlie’s attention from my right. “Charlie do know my friend Sheila?”

Charlie cleared his throat, “Hi Sheila, yes, we met in town when I was shopping with my mom.”

”Hi Charlie, I’m happy to see you join our school. Maybe we can get to know each other better. Myra says you and Toby are best friends. Hi Toby, I hope you are having a good day here, if you need anything you can ask for me. I don’t know if we have any classes together, but I know enough people that it would get to me pretty quickly.” I could tell she was bubbly and kind.

While we ate and chatted it had been decided to go on a double date Saturday night. The three of them wanted to go to the movies to see some syfi thing. I made it clear that I enjoy movies and television and they would be surprised how much I get from it. Good ole Charlie added, “No joke, this guy even plays video games. He picks up on sound cues and patterns.”

I think I got flushed, hot in the face again. And, before I knew it we were back home. My parents were anxiously waiting so Charlie did a hello and goodbye l, leaving me to tell them everything I did at school. Dad was joyful asking me about Myra, and mom kept asking about the teachers and how helpful they may have been. All I could hope for, at that point, was things to mellow out, and be just like everyone else in the world going to school.

Copyright © 2023 PhillMakracken; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
  • Love 7
  • Haha 2
Although I do have first hand experience with some of these issues, I have not actually lived a life with them. Forgive me if I don’t get it exactly correct. It is fiction after all 
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Toby has stepped into It with both feet!

Already has a boyfriend. Now he's going to have to make time for Myra somehow, or tell her the truth!

  • Love 4
Link to comment

Toby is Such a Happy Soul , It will take him a few weeks to adjust to every one at school . I love Toby & Charlie together but Toby needs worldly experiences like the rest of the teenagers . I look forward to the next chapter , Thank you for sharing Phillip.

  • Love 4
Link to comment

The following says so much...

I think I got flushed, hot in the face again. And, before I knew it we were back home. My parents were anxiously waiting so Charlie did a hello and goodbye l, leaving me to tell them everything I did at school. Dad was joyful asking me about Myra, and mom kept asking about the teachers and how helpful they may have been. All I could hope for, at that point, was things to mellow out, and be just like everyone else in the world going to school.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..