Jump to content
    Puppilull
  • Author
  • 1,043 Words
  • 1,262 Views
  • 11 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Fractions for fun - 2. You don't know Jack

My entry for the Newsletter game: Household items! We each picked a household item and were instructed to make them come alive. This is what my hammer whispered in my ear.

Is this thing on? Hello? Hello?!? It’s recording now? So I can start? Bloody idiots… Why have fancy cameras and stuff if you can’t handle them? People these days…

Well, hi. I guess you’re wondering why you’re staring at my ugly mug? To be honest, I’m sort of wondering that myself. Why the hell did I agree to do this? Maybe in the no doubt vain hope that someone will make something honest for once. That someone will listen to the ones who actually know what they’re talking about. Get a break from all the nonsense fluff we get spoon-fed every day.

The secret life of tools… What kind of show would that be? Sounds like the usual Disney crap to me. Who in their right mind would be interested in that? But I’ll give it a shot, since you assured me it’s serious and you need the input. So here goes.

The name’s Jack. Yeah, yeah, yeah… Someone had a sense of humor. Or should I say “humor”? I know I ain’t laughing. Been in the business for too many years for that.

Crap, my nose itches. Hey, lend a guy a hand, will you? Just on the tip there. That’s right. Yeah, just like that. It sucks not having arms, you know. You’d think the manufacturer would think of something, but no. Not “practical”. I wonder how practical it is to let us slowly lose our minds from not being able to scratch a simple itch. But anything to save a few bucks, huh? We’re only tools, meant to be used until we break.

As for your show, my life isn’t so secret. No big mysteries. I’m just me. Always been pretty straightforward ever since I left the factory, seeing the world slightly fuzzy through my plastic packaging and being so eager to get out there and make a mark on the world.

No, not a dent. Don’t try to be funny. Because you’re not. If I hear one of those jokes one more time… “You really hit the nail on the head!” Hardy har har… Or the idiots who start singing how they’d rather be a hammer than a nail. Well, of course you would. What idiot would want to be a nail? Spend eternity in a wall? At least, people rarely have pan flutes handy. That would really suck.

And before you go there; yes, I can touch this. I assure you it’s no problem for me. In fact, I was designed to touch things hard and repeatedly.

By the way, are you certain this program will have no affiliation with that terrible kids’ show, Handy Manny? OK, I just have to make sure. There’s another song I can’t stand. As if we can fix anything simply because we are tools. There are limits! Not all things broken can be fixed again. Sometimes, things stay broken…

Damn, my head hurts… Sorry. It’s just been a long day. Put up way too many walls today. And that new apprentice the owner took on isn’t exactly gentle. For some reason he blames me for all the times he hits himself on his thumb. Calls me unbalanced. I’m not unbalanced, kid! I’ve never been unbalanced! Not my fault he’s all thumbs and can’t be bothered to learn proper technique. And the owner got a new guy he likes to play with now. One of those fancy hammers. Stuck up as fuck. As if you actually need a shock reduction grip and an all stainless-steel construction to get the job done. What’s wrong with fiberglass? It’s worked very well for years, thank you very much. But new is apparently better. I should have seen it coming. Stupid of me to expect something more after doing my best for so long.

But that’s reality in the tool box, you know. We get replaced. I’ve seen many other tools come and go. Those saws are such delicate creatures. Always coming in so high and mighty. “I’m dangerous. Look at me! I can cut you!” And I’m like, “Give it a few weeks and you won’t be so cocky.” Turns out, I’m always right. Fancy that. They need to be retired after just a few months, all dull and depressed. But I’m still here. Dependable, stable, uncomplicated.

Uncomplicated… If they only knew. I may look simple enough but that’s because no one takes the time to get to know me.

Whatever. I just want to get somewhat comfortable in the tool box and catch some Z’s.

I guess I’m not really who you should talk to. This show of yours probably needs a more upbeat attitude. Even though I’m a hammer, it’s not really me. Upbeat? Get it? Beat…? Ugh, never mind. Talk to the screwdriver. He could be just what you’re looking for. He’ll show you the fun side to being a tool. Be prepared for his obnoxious jokes, though. If he asks me one more time if I fancy a screw, I’ll go nuts. As if I’d want to have anything to do with his skinny ass. I may be single, but I have standards.

Perhaps I’m just fed up. Things haven’t been the same since Sledge got put on permanent field duty. Damn those sheep for breaking down the fences all the time. There’s a true friend, a guy you can rely on. No nonsense, what you see is what you get. Things were so easy with Sledge. Late at night, we would lie on our backs, stare up at the sky and just be. Side by side, resting our heads next to each other, sometimes touching. Just two guys, sharing a small space in a tool box. You get close, you know, spending that much time together. It’s like your true self escapes when you’re tired and almost asleep. It was a comfort, something to look forward to while working all day. Sledge was always there for me, to listen to me rambling and then make it all better.

Well, that’s in the past. I have the life I have. No use in reminiscing. What do you mean “feelings”? Why would I have “feelings” for Sledge? I’m not sure I like what you’re implying. Feelings are for fools. Not tools.

So, what did you think of Jack? Any comments or feedback is most welcome! This was among the strangest thing I have written. It surprised me it turned sort of sad...
Copyright © 2017 Puppilull; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 17
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Absolutely wonderful!  It was all so real - I could easily hear him talking to the camera.  And it's a pity about Sledge ...

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Jävla bra ! I could hear the slightly bitter or cynical voice as I read it. Makes me want to treat my tools better. :lol: 

  • Like 3
Link to comment

This is great! I won't look at a hammer the same way I did before. I'm almost tempted to try and give it/him/her good company in the tool box.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

"The Secret Life of Tools" :rofl: That should be the name of every "reality" dating show out there... :rofl:  This was great, Puppi.  I really felt for Jack and hope that Sledge gets returned to the tool box at some point.  Very well done. :)

  • Like 3
Link to comment

:gikkle:  this was great!  I can almost hear Jack's gruff voice.  Nope.. no feelings there :lol:  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 7/30/2017 at 8:34 AM, Smoothy said:

Hahaha loved it! A hammer with feelings😊

You really made Jack come alive! 

 

I'm happy you felt like you got to know Jack! And he would of course deny having feelings... ;)

 

On 7/30/2017 at 9:13 AM, northie said:

Absolutely wonderful!  It was all so real - I could easily hear him talking to the camera.  And it's a pity about Sledge ...

 

I actually read large parts out loud the check the flow. I hope he gets reunited with Sledge. 

 

On 7/30/2017 at 10:00 AM, Timothy M. said:

Jävla bra ! I could hear the slightly bitter or cynical voice as I read it. Makes me want to treat my tools better. :lol: 

 

He's not in a good place at the moment. And you should be good to your tool(s)... 

 

On 7/30/2017 at 11:09 AM, droughtquake said:

Naturally Jack is very butch and not very evolved emotionally!  ;-)

 

That's what he thinks. My guess is Jack has unknown depths.

 

On 7/30/2017 at 11:39 AM, aditus said:

This is great! I won't look at a hammer the same way I did before. I'm almost tempted to try and give it/him/her good company in the tool box.

 

These stories have me really thinking about the stuff in my life. Maybe I need to be nicer...?

 

On 7/30/2017 at 6:12 PM, Valkyrie said:

"The Secret Life of Tools" :rofl: That should be the name of every "reality" dating show out there... :rofl:  This was great, Puppi.  I really felt for Jack and hope that Sledge gets returned to the tool box at some point.  Very well done. :)

 

Some tools are really tools... And who knows when or if Sledge comes back? 

 

On 7/30/2017 at 9:04 PM, Dolores Esteban said:

You did a very good job. I feel sorry for the hammer.

 

Yeah, Jack is lonely and feels a bit left out. I hope his existence looks up soon. 

 

On 7/31/2017 at 3:53 PM, Defiance19 said:

This is awesome. I could see/hear Jack so clearly.  

Great job Puppi.. 

 

 

 

Jack had a clear voice in my head. I'm glad you heard him too!

 

22 hours ago, LitLover said:

:gikkle:  this was great!  I can almost hear Jack's gruff voice.  Nope.. no feelings there :lol:  

 

Huff! Feelings are nonsense. Of course.

 

1 hour ago, Caz Pedroso said:

Wonderful play on the prompt :hug: 

 

At first, it felt quite impossible to do something at all. Then I met Jack! 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..