Jump to content
    quokka
  • Author
  • 4,766 Words
  • 2,829 Views
  • 7 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

At Sea - 21. AS Chapter 21

“I have always wanted to visit the Coral Coast of Western Australia” I announced with a big grin, and it took a moment for Jay and Jacq to click what I meant, “You mean the Ningaloo Reef and Coral Bay?” Jacq asked for clarification. “Yes, aunty I do, I estimate it will take us 5 days from here to the port of Albany, a day or two longer, if we stop to explore some ship wrecks up the west coast of Tasmania.

I hear there are some mountain ranges near Albany, called the Porongurup’s and Stirling Ranges, that are quite spectacular, for a day’s excursion, and this will allow us to restock with supplies, then it is a three-day sail around the capes and up the coast to the Abrolhos Islands, a reef system, north west of Geraldton, and another day to get to Shark Bay and Monkey Mia, another day to Coral Bay to explore that area, then we can continue north, for half a day to Exmouth, where there is an International airport” I suggested.

“Well you have certainly thought it out haven’t you” my mum said to me from behind me, making me jump a little as I didn’t hear her enter. “Jeeze, mum, give someone a heart attack” I commented, “Sorry dear, I must remember to shout out Boo! first” Mum replied with a big smile, which made Jacq and Jay laugh. “To answer you’re your comment mum, yes, it is always good to have a backup plan when dealing with royalty, especially after our last experiences with the media” I replied.

“So, you are saying about fourteen days, including day long excursions at Tasmanian Shipwrecks, Albany, the Abrolhos Islands, and Coral Bay” Jay said to me, “Yes, that is about right, the Australian Bight, will be the tricky bit, as it may get extremely rough, depending on the weather” I added. “Well I think it is a good plan, gives the guests a good variety of places to see and explore, you have my approval for this plan, pending the guests like it” Jay announced.

While Jay got us on the way, I went to the navigation desk, where the desk top computer is, and I began writing up a plan that I could print out and present to the guests, “Do we have a folder of some kind that we could use to present this proposal in?” I asked to any one listening, “Yes, I have a writing folder that is leather, it just needs the paper, and envelopes to be removed” Mum said and she dashed off to retrieve it, “Oh, by the way, your mum has the single cabin next to yours” Jay said to me, as I kept working.

Twenty minutes later I had typed up everything, and printed it out, including information on each location that we will be stopping, recommended places to see, and maps of these locations, which I placed in the folder and set off down to the guest lounge. As I was passing the galley, Amanda asked me to come in for a moment, “If we are going out to the ocean, where are we going?” Amanda asked me, “You will know as soon as a decision had been made I said with a smile.

“Ok, let the guests know dinner will be at 7pm” Amanda replied and I dashed out of the galley and entered the guest area, where I stopped and gave a bow, before approaching Prince Joachim, mindful of the security nearby, and seeing two of them staring at me cautiously, which the Prince noticed.

“They do know that you are all safe onboard, don’t they sir, only sharks are your main worry out here” I said to the Prince in a soft voice, who gave a short laugh, as I presented him with the folder, “If you could calm down the dogs, it would make the crew member’s jobs a lot easier” I added, and the Prince chuckled and nodded his head in understanding, as I left the room.

“How is dinner going?” I asked Amanda, “Great, dinner for the crew and security will be ready shortly, where are we going to feed everyone?” Amanda replied, and I smiled, “I have been thinking about that, Sam, and Marcus let’s set up the conference room downstairs as a second dining room, for crew and security, that way it is out of sight of the guests” I responded, and the lads got to work to head downstairs to get the conference room set up, while I headed upstairs.

“I have the lads setting up the conference room as the dining room for crew and security for this charter” I announced as I arrived on the bridge, “Excellent thinking Carlton, I don’t know why I didn’t think of that” Jacq replied, “I’m just too good at the job” I said with a big grin, which everyone laughed at.

“Ok smarty pants, what are we going to do, when we arrive at Coral Bay, with our son’s issue with you” Jacq asked me, “What is he doing up there now, I presume his fake parents were only managers of the caravan park?” I asked, “He has been keeping in touch with us via email, keeping on telling us, that he wants to come back, as he has nothing to do up there, as he is lonely, and his staff at the tour company that he does own, do all the work.

He has a year remaining on a four-year lease of space for the company from the caravan park, so he just sits at home and does nothing, and goes to the agency every two days or so to check that all is ok” Jacq replied, “Well I was thinking that since Brodie has not met mum yet, she could make a telephone booking for a couple of tours for her and her ten overseas friends, maybe use her maiden name, since Brodie won’t know what that is.

I will remain out of sight while we are there, and you two can go and visit your son, while our guests are exploring the area” I suggested, “Wow, my boy has thought of everything hasn’t he” Mum said in response, which made me smile. Suddenly Prince Joachim appeared at the top of the stairs. “Welcome to the Bridge Sir” Jay said as he was the first to spot his arrival, and mum quickly slipped out, heading to her cabin.

“I wonder if there is a name for Royal phobia” the prince said staring at the direction that mum disappeared, and we all smiled at the comment, “Anxiety to the presence of Royalty, I think sir” my aunt replied, and the Prince gave a short laugh, nodding in agreement. “We have discussed your proposal and we have all agreed to it, so go ahead with this proposal, it looks like a great Australian adventure, with a good variety of activities” the prince said.

“Very well Sir, can you let your dogs, I mean security know, that they can dine in the conference room on the main deck, half an hour before your dinner, that is where the crew will also be dining during this charter” I said to the Prince, who chuckled at the first part of my comment. “No problems, and the hounds have been put on a leash, so your crew can relax a little now” the prince replied with a big smile as he turned and left,

“Dogs and Hounds? Should I ask what is going on there? Jay asked me, just as we heard a howling sound coming from the stairway, which made us all laugh. “A prince with some humour, I like that” I commented, and we all smiled, just as the internal phone rang, and Jacq answered it. “Bridge here, Ex O speaking” my aunty said, “Galley here, we just heard someone howling, sounded like it was coming from the stairs” Amanda replied.

“Yes, and he will be passing the galley at any moment, so be nice to him” Jacq replied, “Holy cow, was it the Prince?” Amanda said in a shocked tone, “Yes, just a little humorous chat, we just had up here, nothing to worry about, bridge out” Jacq said and she hung up the phone. I helped Peter and Julia to serve dinner to the security staff, who ate in two shifts, as did the crew.

When it came time to feed the VIP guests, Sam, Marcus and I did all the service, and Amanda and Mum did a wonderful job with the meals, once the guests were fed, they brought meals for them, Jay, Jacq and myself to the bridge where we ate together, sharing helm duties, so everyone could eat. Once I had finished dinner, I took over at the helm, while Jay and Jacq went to get some sleep, with Jay to take over at the helm in 6 hours at 0200 hours, and Jacq will take over at 0800 hours.

When I woke just after 10am, I noticed that we were not moving forward, so I guessed that we are at a shipwreck site, so after a quick shower and changing into a fresh uniform, I headed to the bridge. “Hi Jacq, what is happening” I said as I entered, “Hey nephew, we are at a ship wreck, Amanda, Sam and Marcus have taken all five men down to the site, and skipper is in bed sleeping” Jacq replied to me. “What about Julia and Peter?” I asked.

“I have them servicing all of the guest cabins, so they are flat out at the moment” Jacq replied. “Ok, I will go and check on them and go and get something to eat, give me a shout if you need me for anything” I said with a smile, and I headed downstairs, where I found our junior stewards busy at work, so I headed to the galley, to get some food, and to spend a little time relaxing, before I have to take over at the helm at 1400 hours.

About an hour later, Jacq appeared in the galley, where I was sitting and drinking my second cup of tea. “They are on their way back, I didn’t want to use the PA, or it would wake up Jay” Jacq said to me, as she helped herself to a cup of tea. “Right, I noticed some, fresh soup and bread rolls, so I will get them heated up for the guests, can you round up Peter and Julia to help me please” I replied.

Ten minutes later, we had a table set up on the main deck, near the swimming platform, with fresh towels, and trays of soup and bread rolls for the diving teams, who were happily chatting as they climbed back on board. “Carlton, I am so glad that we went ahead with your recommendation, that dive was spectacular” Prince Joachim said to me.

“Very good sir, here are some fresh towels to dry off, and some soup and bread rolls to warm up a little” I replied with a smile, as I saw Amanda, Sam and Marcus arrive last, carrying their scuba gear, and after grabbing a towel, Amanda walked up to me, “That soup was supposed to be for dinner tonight, but good thinking on using it to warm up the guests” she whispered to me with a smile.

I began to sort out the scuba gear, moving it all over to where it can be washed down with fresh water, before refilling the bottles, and storing them away in the lockers. Sam and Marcus helped me, while Amanda headed off to quickly get showered and dressed, so she could organise lunch for everyone. While we set off further north, to another shipwreck site, the guests sat down for lunch, and by 2.30, we had arrived at the next dive site.

For the next three hours, the guests did two ship wreck dives, and once it was completed, and they were drying off, we set off in a north-west direction, bound for Albany in Western Australia, a five-day journey away. As expected with the Southern Ocean, we had a few very rough days, and the guests spend most of the time in the formal lounge or Library Lounge, and the crew kept busy keeping them supplied with food and drinks.

When we arrived in the Port of Albany in the early evening, Jay had arranged for us to be placed in a secure berth, so as to ensure the security of our royal guests, and we had organised a private tour of the region, set for 8am the next morning. As the guest were finishing dinner that evening, Jay and I entered the formal dining room, “Sirs, we have organised a day long, private tour of the region, that will include hiking some peaks, and visiting two wineries, Carlton here will travel with you and your security guards” Jay said to the guests.

“Actually, only two guards will travel with is, to make it less obvious who we are, the other three will remain, to ensure the security of the yacht while we are away” Joachim replied, “Very well sir, may I recommend that you dress in casual clothing, so you don’t stand out too much, and wear sturdy footwear for the hiking of the two peaks” Jay added, and we exited the area.

Early the next morning, at breakfast the guests were suitable dressed and just before 8am we headed off the jetty and through the security gate, to where a small 18-seater bus was waiting for us. “Good morning, I am Carlton Henderson, I made the arrangements for this tour today” I said to the driver/tour guide, “Good morning to you and your guests, please step onboard” the driver replied with a smile.

“Before we do, I need you to sign this confidentiality contract, that states that you will not reveal who these guests are to anyone, including your family and staff, and especially to any reporter or media organisation, failure to sign it will result in the termination of this tour, and you will not receive any more than the deposit, that we made” I stated to the driver who looked shocked as he looked at the guests.

“You may not recognise us, but believe me, Carlton is very serious, as are my two friends just here” Joachim said, pointing to the two security guards, and after taking a quick glance at the contract before signing it, and writing his full name and today’s date, before I counter-signed the contract.

“One more thing, can you hand over your mobile phone, one of the security officers will hold onto it, till we return to the harbour” I added, as I handed the contract to Joachim’s security guard with a smile, and he placed it into his inside jacket pocket. Reluctantly the driver handed over his phone, and I turned it off and passed it to the security guard, before we boarded the bus.

Forty-five minutes later we arrived at the Porongurup National Park, and we headed up the walk trail to Castle Rock, which is 570 metres above sea level. When we finally arrived, and climbed the last few metres up onto the sky walk, we were rewarded with a magnificent 360-degree view of the surrounding region, which was spectacular, as I handed out bottled water to the guests and two guards.

“Well this was definitely worth the hike up here” Prince Joachim said as he looked around, and the other guests agreed with him. “Just wait till you get to the top of Bluff Knoll, over there on the Stirling Ranges, at 1,099 metres above sea level, I believe it is even more stunning” I responded, as I pointed to the North-East of our current location, were the ranges were clearly visible.

The guests happily chatted on the walk back down the slopes, where the tour driver was patiently waiting for us. “We have a booking for lunch at the Castle Rock Winery, you are invited to join us at my cost” I said to the driver. “Well thankyou sir, I appreciate that and accept the invitation” the driver replied, and less than fifteen minutes later we arrived at the winery, and we were taken to the private dining room for our early meal, and some nice local wine, with the driver sticking to drinking water.

After an enjoyable lunch, we boarded the bus once more, and headed back to the main road, and turned left towards the Stirling Ranges, and another 45 minutes later we arrived at the carpark, at the base of Bluff Knoll. Giving the two guards backpacks, loaded up with water bottles, we started off on the 3.5 km long track to the peak, which we estimated to take about 1 ½ hours to get there.

When we arrived at the peak, we were all stunned at the views around us in all directions, just lots and lots of national park, and in the background lots of farmland. After spending nearly twenty minutes absorbing the views, we headed down again, arriving back at the bus just after 5pm, exhausted but glad that we had managed to climb to the peak of the States most stunning peak.

On the way back to Albany, we stopped briefly to visit one more winery, tasting what they had available, and like the previous one we visited, I bought a dozen bottles to add to the wine collection on the yacht, before we returned to the harbour in Albany. As the guests headed down the jetty to the yacht, I handed the driver his mobile phone, that the guard has handed me back at the last winery.

“Tell me, is the gentleman that spoke to you the most, the brother in law of Princess Mary?” the driver said quietly to me, and I smiled, “Yes I can reveal that to you now, but just remember you are not to reveal to anyone who your guests were today, the contract states 60 days, after that time you can say anything” I replied.

“Could you tell me who the other men are?” the driver asked, and I smiled, “You have been privileged to spend a day with Royalty from 5 European countries, the Princes of Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Liechtenstein and the Duke of Luxembourg” I replied.

“Holy cow, and no one knows they are here in Australia?” the driver said, “Yes, and it has to stay that way till they are back in Europe for security purposes, you understand” I replied, “Yes sir, I understand” the driver said.

“That is good to here, now here is the remainder of the payment for your services today, plus a bonus, thank you for your time today, and good luck with your future” I responded, as I handed him a big envelope containing the cash, and headed for the yacht, which was now preparing for departure, as the last of the daylight disappeared in the western horizon.

Once we had left Princess Royal Harbour - Albany, the crew got to work to feed the guests and security guards, while I headed up to the Bridge, to report to Jay and Jacq on today’s events, as we headed out into King George Sound, then turned West. After I had eaten, I headed to bed to get some sleep before I start my shift on the helm at 0200 hours, and with all the climbing I did today I fell asleep very quickly.

When my alarm went off, I quickly washed up and dressed in a fresh uniform, before stepping into the Bridge, to take over at the helm from Jacq, and for the next six hours we continued westwards towards the cape, and at 0600, Amanda arrived with a cup of tea and some toast, and she stayed with me for a while, before heading back to the galley.

An hour later, Sam arrived with a cup of tea and a cooked breakfast for me, and I asked Sam to take the helm while I ate, which Sam hesitated for a moment before stepping into place. Once I had eaten, I took over at the helm once more, and Sam took the dirty dishes downstairs to the galley, and not long after Jay arrived to start his shift at the helm.

“Morning skipper” I said with a smile, “Good morning Nav, how was your shift?” Jay replied, “Good thanks Uncle, so I guess it is about 2 ½ days before we get to the Abrolhos Islands” I responded, “You tell me, you planned all of this” Jay replied with a big grin, and I laughed, as I stepped to one side so Jay could take over, and I went over to the navigation desk to check the navigation charts.

“We are about to pass Cape Leeuwin, so I estimate we will reach the Abrolhos Islands in 50 hours” I said after studying the charts for a few minutes. “So, about 10am, the day after tomorrow then” Jay replied, “Yes that’s about right” I answered with a smile, and I headed to my cabin, and after a quick shower, I lay down for a short nap, setting my alarm for two hours’ time.

After the short rest, I dressed in a fresh uniform, I gathered all of my washing, and headed downstairs to do some overdue laundry, and once done, I headed to the galley for some food. “Hey Nav, where have you been hiding?” Amanda asked me when I walked into the galley, “Doing my laundry, I’ve run out of clean uniforms” I replied as I made myself a cup of tea.

“You could have done mine, while you were at it” Amanda said to me, “We may be cabin mates, but no way am I washing your bras and knickers” I replied with a wicked grin, and Amanda frowned then gave me a small smile before continuing with her work, “Here sailor boy, you can help with peeling some carrots” she said to me, and I gladly accepted the chore.

“So, are you enjoying your time working for us, or do you prefer doing something else?” I asked after a few minutes of silence. “Well I had planned a career in Marine Science, but being able to travel on this fantastic yacht, meet amazing people, including European Royalty, and doing the occasional scuba dive is just as good” Amanda replied.

“Well you have a lot more scuba diving ahead, with the Abrolhos Islands and the Ningaloo Reef to explore” I said, “and who is going to do all the galley work?” Amanda asked, “Sam can do it, with my assistance, I want you do as much scuba diving, so you can have fun” I replied, and Amanda gave me a hug, “Thanks Carlton, you are an awesome friend and boss” she said to me.

The weather for the journey north improved dramatically, the further north we travelled, and it warmed up nicely too, so the guests relaxed on the outside decks, for the journey up the west coast. We arrived at the south end of the Abrolhos Islands just after 10am, and entering inside the reef system, we set our anchors in an area that has a sandy bottom, so as not to disturb the fragile vegetation and corals.

Amanda and Marcus got to work to get the guests sorted for a short scuba dive before lunch, with Amanda having done most of the lunch preparations already, so Sam was able to go with them, and three of the security guards remained onboard while they were diving, meanwhile Julia and Peter got busy to service the VIP suites, and both Jay and Jacq were resting in their cabin, glad to have a rest from all of the travelling over the past week.

Once the guests had returned, Julia and Peter assisted me with lunch service, and they did very well, serving the royal guests, while Amanda and Sam ate downstairs with three of the guards. About two hours after lunch, Amanda, Sam and Marcus took the guests on another dive, using the dinghy to go to a different area of the reef.

When they returned to the yacht after the afternoon diving session, we had towels and hot soup ready for them on the aft main deck, with chairs laid out so the guests could relax. “How long will we be staying at this place Carlton?” the Duke asked me, which surprised me a little, “I was going to suggest a couple of days sir” I replied with a smile, “That would be perfect, this place is amazing” the Swedish Prince replied, “Very good sir, I will inform the skipper, when he is available” I replied.

After three days in the Abrolhos Islands, we continued north leaving soon after lunch time, heading for Shark Bay and Monkey Mia, which we will reach in 22 hours’ time, the weather was continuing to warm up the further north we went, and the ocean was fairly calm for most of the journey.

Mooring at the main jetty, the guests and their guards headed off to explore Monkey Mia, and the famous dolphins, and they returned to the yacht within three hours, and we set off again soon afterwards, for the 18-hour journey to Coral Bay. “Well that went well, too many backpacker tourists, but I don’t think anyone recognised us” the Duke said to me as he came to the Galley, where Amanda and I were finishing preparations for a late lunch.

“That is very good to know sir, it is so unpredictable on whether you get recognised or not” I replied with a smile, “Lunch will be ready in fifteen minutes sir” Amanda added, and I went to the phone to call the conference room, “Sam, all stewards to the galley now, ready for lunch service” I said when the phone was answered, “Right away Nav” Sam said and he ended the call, and a few minutes later all four stewards arrived.

“Julia and Peter, you both have food stains on your uniforms, go and get changed right away” I snapped, when they arrived, and they quickly headed off to their cabins to change, and realising that I was being rude I sighed loudly, “Yes I will apologise to them when they get back” I said to Amanda.

Lunch service went well, and the guests headed to the upper deck outside area to relax, and enjoy the sunshine, and the stewards and we sailed out of the reef area, since we would be travelling north at night, and didn’t want to run aground. Three hours after lunch, we stopped just outside the reef, since the weather was warm and the seas calm, to give the guests the chance to do some more scuba diving, and on their return, they were very happy, and they were talking about it as we served them their afternoon tea, as Jay continued heading north to Coral Bay, where we would arrive at 7.30, just after sunrise, the next morning.

I could see that Jay and Jacq were getting nervous the closer we got to Coral Bay, as they joined me on the bridge, straight after dinner. “Don’t worry I am sure you both will get some quality time with your son” I said with a smile, and Jacq gave me a sideways hug with a half-smile.

With the town jetty located just over a kilometre south of town, with a small hill blocking any view from any town, we arrived at Coral Bay un-noticed, and the guests went for a walk along the beach before dinner, while Jay, Jacq and mum went into town in search of Brodie.

Once dinner was completed, the crew went for a walk along the beach, while Amanda and I remained onboard to ensure that the guests are looked after. Shortly after 10pm, mum and my uncle and aunt returned to the yacht, where they found the whole crew including myself, in the conference room, watching a movie on the television.

“Hi, how did it go?” I asked as they walked in, and I stood up to talk to them away from the television, so as not to disturb the movie, “Well we found him at the pub, and I went and sat down next to him, and as expected he didn’t recognise me, when he looked at me as I ordered a soft drink” Mum said with a smile.

Copyright October 2017 Preston Wigglesworth All Rights are Reserved
  • Like 31
  • Love 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

@quokka, I don't believe you realize it, but the "with a smile" routine is getting overused.

 

it was nice of Carlton to arrange the charter so his aunt and uncle could visit Brodie. The trip has gone well up to now, except for that unexplained snappiness Carlton displayed to Julia and Peter. it came out of nowhere and seemed out of character. Now we wait to see how the visit with Brodie went.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

I wonder if Brodie Has has a rethink . I seriously doubt that. Homophobes never change as much as they say that they have. Time will tell. Awesome story thanks

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I sincerely hope Brodie has had a change of attitude towards Carlton, who went out of his way to help Brodie get to know that he had a family whose been looking for him for years. Carlton went and got Brodie the new wheelchair and a shower chair so that he could get around without a lot of help from anyone. Even after Carlton helped Brodie at the hospital, and the motel without Carlton doing anything he could to help him and not even getting a rise out of him. This was a great chapter and story. I'm really enjoying this story as it develops into a great novel some time in future. 

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment

B)......................Brodie is probably going to explain himself as being angry from being molested as a child on gays, and it was impressed upon him by his 'parents'. No matter what, he will eventually apologize to Carlton, hopefully it will be sincere.  Great chapter!

  • Like 3
Link to comment

It will be interesting to see how things go with Brodie. I am enjoying the charter with the royals and this story in general. Thanks.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..