Jump to content
    quokka
  • Author
  • 1,737 Words
  • 930 Views
  • 5 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Country Retreat - 8. Retreat Chapter 8

I used to play tennis and cricket, but I am not sure if I want to do that anymore. Gran brought me to enrol and get a tour of the school because my family lives in the country, and it was jointly decided that I stay with my grandparents and attend a smaller private school, than the one I attended,” I replied, and I noticed that Jarrad looked like he was about to cry.

“I am so sorry that you had a hard time at your last school. I can assure you that you are very safe here, and if you let me be your friend, I will make sure that nothing happens to you… Can I hug you?” Jarrad said to me as he sniffed and wiped away a few tears, and I shook my head rapidly. “Ok, that is cool, if you ever need one, I am free, I love hugs… Err, for your information, I am bisexual, and the whole school knows, so if that upsets you then I will stay away,” Jarrad announced to me.

“There you are Mr; I was wondering what happened. I thought you were coming back to the library,” a young lady about the same age said as she approached us. “Oops, Sorry Rebecca. I got sidetracked with another teacher task. This is Oscar Kingston; he is starting here next week. Mate this is my best friend, Rebecca Sampson, we have known each other since grade one,” Jarrad said making the introductions.

Rebecca leaned forward to hug me, but I leaned back and nearly fell out of the chair. “Oh, I am sorry for being too forward… I was just going to hug you,” Rebecca said to me as an apology. “He doesn’t like close contact right now, because of something that happened recently, he may tell you when he is ready,” Jarrad said to Rebecca, who nodded her head in understanding.

“I understand… hey, did you used to go to a private school in Wembley Downs? Do you know about the guy that vanished suddenly, with rumours that he was expelled, and sent to Switzerland by his parents?” Rebecca asked me. I was in total shock at hearing this, and I could feel a panic attack coming, so I stood up and rushed out of the building, stopping to get my bearings, before heading for the family car in the front car park.

I sat down on the ground near the car and tried my breathing exercises to try and calm down, but it wasn’t working very well, and soon I heard my Gran’s voice, instructing me to slow my breathing down, and concentrate on breathing in through the nose and out through the mouth, another lady in a nurses uniform was soon kneeling next to Gran, and she asked me if she could take my pulse, and I just nodded yes.

After about ten minutes, I was calm enough to stand up and be helped into the car, and as we drove out of the car park, I spotted Jarrad and Rebecca looking very worried, standing next to the nurse, who was speaking to them both. Once back at the house, I went to my room to rest, as the anxiety attacks tend to tire me out, and I soon fell asleep on my bed.

Gran woke me up to tell me that it was time for dinner, “What happened to lunch?” I asked, and Gran smiled, “We decided to let you rest as much as possible. Up you get now, wash your face and come to the table,” Gran responded, and I did as I was asked.

After dinner, and helping to clean up, I had a shower, before joining my grandparents in the lounge, to watch the news, before retiring to bed for the day, having been told that the horses had been attended to by one of the staff, so I didn’t need to rush off to the stables.

Over the weekend, I did very little, apart from looking after the horses and taking them for their daily ride. After lunch on Sunday, I let Gran know that I was going for a hike, and with a backpack of water and snacks, I set off with no set destination.

As I stepped onto Copley Road, I turned right towards the National Park, and at the end of the road, I saw the well-used hiking track, so I followed it, knowing that I was roughly heading towards Bells Rapids, where I had been before to watch the Avon Descent race a few times in August.

Nearly an hour later, I arrived at Bells Rapids, and I crossed the bridge to the southern side of the river. I knew I was on the wrong side of the river, but I also knew that very close to our boundary on the river reserve, there are several places where it is easy to cross due to the low water level, so I began to hike back towards home, but following the road instead of the hiking trail.

“Hey Oscar, it’s me! Jarrad from School,” I heard a voice call out to me, and I looked around wondering who was calling me when I spotted Jarrad Drake running towards the front fence of the property I was passing.

“Hello. This your place?” I asked sounding a little surprised. “Yeah, not much but it is home for me and the family. I have an older sister and a younger brother,” Jarrad replied, as I walked up to the fence and shook his offered hand. “Still no hug?” Jarrad asked me with a grin, and I chuckled at this, “Give me a bit of time, and maybe… just maybe I will allow it,” I responded.

“Do you want to come in for a drink? Most of the family is out now, just me and my kid bro Lucas home,” Jarrad offered. I thought about this for a moment and decided to accept his hospitality.

“So, you're not just super polite and courteous at school, but at home too?” I commented, and Jarrad chuckled at this comment, as he opened the gate for me, and closed it behind me, before leading me towards the house. “How many properties are you from the equestrian centre?” I asked as we entered the house. “Why do you ask? I think we are six houses away,” Jarrad replied. “I will tell you later. Now you were going to offer me a drink of water…” I responded.

“My Dad is away now doing some FIFO work up north, and Mum and Jess, that’s my sister are out food shopping, so I am left behind to mind my younger bro, who is six years younger than me, he is in year three at the same school. Jess who is four years older is now attending university, studying Nursing,” Jarrad informed me, “Do you know what you want to do when you grow up?” I asked, and Jarrad laughed.

“Jarrad, who is this in our home?” a new voice asked, “Hey Lucas, come here and meet a new school friend of mine, his name is Oscar,” Jarrad said to his brother, who nervously came towards us then ducked behind his older brother, before peeping out a little bit, which made me laugh. “He does this every time he meets new people, once he gets to know you, he is fine,” Jarrad said to me, as he handed me a cold glass of water.

I drank it quickly and when finished I burped, which made Lucas giggle, “Please sir, can I have some more?” I asked as I held out the glass towards Jarrad, “More? Why you good for nothing…” Jarrad started to say before bursting out laughing and ended up on the floor, poor Lucas looked totally confused, and I joined in the laughter, and we didn’t hear the front door open.

“What’s all the laughing about? Jarrad, can you help with the… why hello there,” an older woman said when she saw me, still holding my glass out for another drink. “Please sir, can I have some more?” I asked again and Jarrad started laughing again, and I saw who I presumed to be his mother grinning, as she headed to the fridge to retrieve the water jug, and she filled my glass.

“Thank you, Mrs Drake, I am Oscar Kingston by the way, starting at the same school tomorrow,” I said to her before drinking all of the water again, but this time I held in the burp. “Nice to meet you, now can you get my number one son stopping from laughing his butt off on the floor and go and help collect the shopping please,” Mrs Drake asked. This prompted Jarrad to get off the tiled floor and stagger towards the front door, and after placing the glass on the counter, I followed him outside, where a young woman was struggling with the shopping bags. “Ah, my saviour has arrived. Who is your friend?” she said to her brother.

“Jessica, this is my new friend from school Oscar Kingston, he was hiking when I spotted him walking past,” Jarrad said making the introductions, before being handed two shopping bags. “You know he is a poof, right?” Jessica said to me, I nodded my head, and smiled, “I prefer the term - Sex orientation challenged, and I am straight,” I replied, and I heard Jarrad laugh loudly. “Hands off him Sister dearest, he is dealing with personal matters now, which made me groan.

“Wait a moment, are you the guy that was assaulted at the private school in the western suburbs?” with the perp being expelled and his family sent him to exile in Switzerland?” Jessica asked. “Jessica… No!” I heard Jarrad call out as I started to feel a panic attack approaching, and I sat down on the ground hard, as I tried to calm down.

“Nice one sis, now get the hell away and let me handle this… Ok mate, nice and easy, breath slowly in, hold and out, nice and steady” Jarrad said calmly to me, as he kneeled beside me. Soon Mrs Drake appeared, and Jessica stood a distance away looking quite shocked and pale, luckily Mrs Drake saw this and forced Jessica to sit down and put her head down near her knees. “Anxiety attack?” Mrs Drake asked.

Copyright March 2024 All Rights are Reserved, Preston Wigglesworth
  • Like 13
  • Love 17
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

19 minutes ago, IBEX said:

I suggest Scotland, Isle of Man, or Falklands then. Any foggy place with lots of rain seems to be a panacea.

Had a thought, likely superfluous. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..