Jump to content
    quokka
  • Author
  • 2,585 Words
  • 1,894 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Earl - 16. Earl Chapter 16

“Thank you, Mary, and sorry about this, we are just very tired from the trip, I hate to think how I would feel if we were in Economy class,” Tyler replied, “That is fine my Lord, just relax we are fine,” Mary said.

“When do my parents take over control of the pub that you bought for them?” Lucas asked, “In a week, which gives them time to recover from the trip and to scout around and get used to their new surroundings,” Tyler replied.

The next morning, after breakfast, Tyler asked George to take Lucas and him to East Cowes to check out the farm, and also the pub, that he had invested in. “Farm and Pub? Where abouts are these places?” George asked, with it being the first time he has heard about this.

“I have invested in two properties, where my parents and Lucas’s parents can semi-retire, the farm is Woodhouse farm, which used to be part of Barton Estate, and the pub is located in East Cowes,” Tyler responded. “Yes, I know exactly where Woodhouse Farm is, I have been there, it is a beautiful property, and I agree that it is a great investment. Now sir, can you tell me the name of the pub?” George responded.

Tyler smiled, realising that George probably knows the name of every pub located on the island. “It is the Prince of Wales Pub,” Tyler replied, “Well, that is a big surprise, there has been rumours that it was for sale, but no one could get any information about it, and they wouldn’t let just any ordinary person buy that pub, not with that name and its location,” George replied.

“That is why I had Uncle Charles deal with the purchase, since he is a former high court judge, and a relative to the current Earl of Portland,” Tyler replied. “Why is the location significant,” Lucas asked, “Because my dear friend, it is opposite the main entry into Osbourne Estate, the former country residence of Queen Victoria and her family,” Tyler replied.

I had contacted the farm manager, to let him know that the new owners would be coming to inspect the property this morning, and he was at the front gate to the property when we arrived. “Are you Mr Hunter, the new owners?” the manager asked when we stopped beside his vehicle, “No, I am their son, my name is Tyler, my parents will be arriving tomorrow,” Tyler replied to the gentleman.

“You both look familiar, but I can’t quite work it out,” the manager commented, “This is my first visit to the island, so I don’t know how you could know me,” I lied, “Never mind, just follow me please,” the manager said before he climbed into his vehicle.

After the two-hour long tour of the farm and all of its buildings, we thanked the manager for his time, and he had agreed to stay on as farm manager, to allow Tyler’s parent’s to not have to do to much physical work. “I know now, you look a lot like that young Earl that has been in the media a lot lately,” the farm manager said to Tyler, and he stopped and turned to the manager.

“Yes, I do, because I am the Earl of Portland, and I would like to keep the ownership of this farm out of the media,” Tyler responded. “Yes, my Lord, as you command, it will be an honour to serve the family of his Lordship,” the manager said giving a slight bow of the head.

“That is very good to hear, now my uncle, the retired high court judge, will be here tomorrow with my parents, I must return to my duties on the mainland of the UK, thank you again for the tour, good day to you,” Tyler said, “And to you, my Lord,” the manager said as Tyler climbed into the vehicle, where George and Lucas had been waiting, and they set off for East Cowes, to inspect the pub.

“Did Uncle Charles say anything to you about the pub?” Tyler asked George a few minutes after getting back on the main road, “Only that while it has been for sale, the duty manager has been running the pub, and that the staff numbers had been reduced from 7 down to 4 staff,” George replied.

“From the information that I received from the real estate agent, there are a total of 9 rooms that are used for guest accommodation, plus a two bedroom owners apartment on the second floor, where one of the Guest King rooms is also located, the rest are on the first floor,” Tyler said.

“Mary and I have eaten there a number of times, and the food is of good quality, and the service has been adequate, but could be improved on,” George said, “I see, well I think I will get you two to go in first, and inform the manager and staff that you are here on behalf of the new owners to inspect the property,” Tyler announced.

“What are we looking for Tyler, is there anything specific that you want us to do?” Lucas asked, “Yes, I would like you to be acting as a guest would, expecting the best service possible, and that the place is clean and well maintained,” Tyler replied. “Ok boss, I will do as you wish,” Lucas replied. As they parked in the roomy carpark that takes up the corner of the property, Tyler dialled a number on his phone, and Lucas’s phone began to ring. On seeing the caller, looked at his friend, wondering what he was doing, and Tyler smiled.

“Keep the line open so I can hear everything that is going on,” Tyler informed Lucas, who nodded his head in understanding before getting out of the vehicle, and following George to the front door of the pub. They were immediately confronted with a lady vacuuming the entry hallway, as they turned right into the main bar, where had a number of guests watching a soccer match on television, which was way too loud.

George turned and exited the bar, and stepped across to the hall to the dining room, which was nice and quiet, with just one couple dining. Once they had sat down, Lucas retrieved his phone and put it to his ear, “I guess you heard all of that?” Lucas said into the phone, “Yes, sounded like a vacuum and a very loud soccer match on tv by my guess,” Tyler responded.

“Correct on both, George just cringed before turning around and heading out of the bar, we are in the dining room opposite now, hang on a sec…” Lucas said as a waitress approached and asked if she could take our orders, and when George had done so, he had ordered an extra meal for Tyler, informing her that their friend would soon be arriving.

“This is not what I ordered, and the cutlery is dirty,” the other dining guests said to the waitress when she brought out their meals, and George immediately stood up and headed towards them, “Oh, Oh, you better get in here quick, George is about to confront the waitress about the other dining guests meal,” Lucas said into the phone which promptly end, as Tyler dashed out of the car and headed inside.

“Excuse me sir, what was it that you ordered?” Charles asked, “What is it to you buster, it is none of your business,” the waitress responded loudly and in an angry tone, just as Tyler entered. “He has every right to address any problems with this pub, as he is representing me, the new owner,” Tyler said as he approached them, and right away the couple who were seated quickly stood up and the man bowed his head and the lady curtsied.

“Please take a seat, I will deal this myself personally, I have only just arrived back in the UK, so I was unaware of these issues,” Tyler explained before directing the stunned waitress towards the door leading to the passage and the kitchen.

“What are these people doing in my kitchen?” a man bellowed as Tyler entered with Charles and Lucas close behind, but before the waitress could say anything, Tyler spoke up as he approached the man, who was smoking a thin cigar,
“Who may I ask are you?” Tyler asked, “No of your god damn business is who I am,” the man replied, “He is Derek, the lunch cook and temporary manager, my Lord,” the waitress whispered to Tyler, so the man would not hear her.

“Derek, I am Lord Tyler Finch, the Earl of Portland, and this premises are now my property, now do you want to answer that question again?” Tyler responded, “Yeh right, and I am Prince Albert,” Derek responded. “Excuse me young man, but this is indeed his Lordship the Earl of Portland,” the gentleman from the dining room said from behind Tyler, who gave a smirk grin.

“Oh shit,” Derek said softly but not soft enough, as Tyler, Lucas and Charles had heard him. “That is a good way of describing the situation you are currently in. You are to immediately pack up anything that belongs to you and leave the premises right away, you are no longer employed here,” Lucas informed the former manager, as they watched him grab his backpack and coat and stormed out of the building, and Tyler smiled at his friend for taking his first duty as co-owner of the pub.

“Young lady, can you cook?” Lucas said to the waitress, “Only a little, err, sir, and I do apologise for my behaviour earlier. My name is Emily, and it is just that it has been stressful working here since he took over managing the place,” the young lady replied, and Lucas and Tyler smiled to reassure her.

“That is ok, I can understand the strain you have been under, my good friend, Lucas Carrington here is a great cook, and he just volunteered to continue cooking the lunch meals, if you can please assist him,” Tyler asked, “Yes, my Lord, I would be honoured to assist,” Emily replied.

“Sir, if you can give your order again, we will have it out to your directly, and it is on the house,” Tyler said to the gentleman who was still standing at the door of the kitchen.

“Thank you, my Lord, I will inform my wife,” the gentleman responded, before leaving, and already Lucas was in the fridge looking at what supplies are available for meals.

“Tyler this fridge and the kitchen are a mess, I recommend that we only feed this couple then shut down the kitchen, as it needs a thorough clean,” Lucas said and Tyler frowned at him for calling him by his Christian name in front of staff. “Oops, sorry my Lord,” Lucas said, realising his mistake, and Tyler grinned, before heading into the passageway, where the vacuuming had stopped.

“Good afternoon, I am…” Tyler began to say to the lady who dropped to her knees, “My Lord, it is an honour to meet you,” she said, and Tyler frowned, before asking the lady to stand. “I cannot speak to you if you are on your knees, now please stand, and remain standing while I ask you some questions.

No doubt you know who I am, but since I have just arrived back in the UK, this is the first chance I have had to look at my newest investment, can you tell me who the staff are at this pub, their positions and if they are on premises right now?” Tyler asked.

“Well sir, there is Derek the manager, myself as housekeeper, Emily is waitress and also does bar, and Julian is our head chef, who works afternoons and nights, six days a week, as does all of us. Derek does the cooking of lunch meals, and the bar, and I do all of the housekeeping, which has been a struggle since the others have been let go,” the lady said. “Your name is?” Tyler asked, “Oh, I’m sorry, my name is Kathleen, my Lord,” the housekeeper replied as she blushed a little.

“Right, Derek has been dismissed, so I need you to do one thing for me, and that is to enter the bar area and turn down that dreadful noise, before asking for all the guests attention,” Tyler asked, “Yes sir, right away,” Kathleen responded, as she led the way into the bar area, and retrieving the remote control for the television, she put it on mute, knowing what was about to happen.

“Oi, put the sound back on, we are watching the match,” one of the patrons called out. “I will not, as you need to listen to the new owner of this pub,” Kathleen replied. “Good afternoon gentlemen, my name is Tyler Finch, and I am the new owner of this establishment, which is now closed until further notice, so please finish your current drinks, and make your way to the door,” Tyler announced.

“Hey, you can’t do that, we are in the middle of watching a football match,” the men complained, “I can and I have, since I am now the new licensee of this establishment, now please leave,” Tyler responded. Once the men had left, Tyler closed and locked the doors.

“Can you show me where the office is please, I need to make up a sign, then I need you to call all staff that used to work here, and tell them they have their jobs back,” Tyler announced, “That is wonderful news my Lord, they will be so happy to hear that.

There is my brother, Rory, who was the manager of the bar, my niece Fiona and my daughter Juliet, who work for me in housekeeping, my nephew Arran, who was the lunch cook, his partner Toby, who is a kitchen hand and waiter for lunch and dinner, and Toby’s sister Arianna, who does bar and waitressing,” Kathleen announced.

“Excellent, let them know that they are to be here at 9 am tomorrow, as we begin a thorough spring clean of the whole property. Now when Emily has finished in the kitchen, can you assist her wish closing down the bar area please, and we will lockup when that is done, oh and I will need some keys,” Tyler replied.

“I have Derek’s set of keys in the kitchen, my Lord,” Emily called out, and she appeared soon after with the keys in hand, and gave them to Tyler, before dashing back into the kitchen. Two hours later, everything was clean and put away, and after the staff had all left, Tyler, Lucas and George inspected every room in the pub.

Tyler was not impressed with the manager’s office which was a shamble, and there were areas where it was visible obvious where cleaning had been let slip, but he knew that it was not Kathleen’s fault, as she no longer had any staff and her hours had been reduced.

In the courtyard beer garden, it is mostly paved and the raised flower gardens have dying plants in them, and Tyler asked George to take them to a good garden nursery so they could make some improvements. The function room on the other side of the beer garden was looking fairly tired, with basic dining table for functions, so that was another area that needed to be looked at.

Copyright © November 2019 Preston Wigglesworth. All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 16
  • Love 9
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Excellent chapter. I think Tyler, Lucas and his parents are going to have their hands full trying to get the pub back into shape after the former manager let most of the staff the boot and then reduced the hours of those who were still there. I hope that they get it cleaned up and back open soon.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Awesome chapter, Tyler is certainly getting into the swing of things, he takes no sh@t from anyone, I think that he going to be one a formidable force. Slackers beware of getting into his sight

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..