Jump to content
    quokka
  • Author
  • 2,555 Words
  • 1,924 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Earl - 17. Earl Chapter 17

At the garden nursery, Tyler selected 6 Ficus trees, and asked them to be potted into extra-large pots, and he asked for some bags of soil improver, and slow release fertiliser, plus a big selection of small shrubs that also flower at different times of the year, and asked for them to be delivered to the pub in the mid-afternoon tomorrow.

Looking at his watch, as they exited the nursery, Tyler gave his friend a bump with his shoulder, and pointed to his watch, and Lucas looked at his. “They would be arriving on the island around about now,” Lucas said, and Tyler nodded his head.
Next stop is Elm Farm please George,” Tyler said after they had climbed into the vehicle. “Yes sir, that is about fifteen minutes away,” George replied. As George slowed and turned off the main road and continued to turn into the driveway of Uncle Charles’s property, they saw the vehicle doors open, as well as the front door to the house, “Looks like they have just arrived,” Lucas stated, as they climbed out of the vehicle and made their way into the house.

“Hello parent’s,” Lucas called out, “Hello Son,” came a reply from deep inside the house, which made Tyler and Lucas chuckle, “Hello Mum and Dad,” Tyler called out, “Hello my Lord and son,” came a response, which had Lucas laugh and Tyler frown in annoyance.

“Sorry Tyler, just kidding, how are you son?” Matthew said when he appeared and gave his son a hug, while his mum gave him a kiss on the cheek then a hug. “We are both good and been quite busy today, lets all sit down, we have a few things to report,” Tyler announced.

“Firstly, let me say something if I may,” Uncle Charles said as everyone sat in the formal lounge. “Tyler, this is my hideaway country home as you know, but recently I was able to purchase next door too, with the 5-bedroom house and 9.66 acres, which is available for Matthew and Katherine to move in right away.

Matthew and Kate, the main Woodhouse farm, is just 20 kilometres to the north-east, which is about a 30-minute drive. You have a capable and hard-working farm manager, who we have met this morning, and we have had a tour of the farm, and he knows that Tyler is the Earl of Portland, so he has no issues there, if you wish, you can give the Farm manager use of the main house so he is onsite, as he currently lives in a rented house at nearby Alverstone Road, which we pass to get to the farm.

The farm was originally part of Barton Estate, which is located right next door to Osbourne Estate, so there is just the one way to Woodhouse without imposing on Baron Manor or Osbourne Estate, which can be accessed by the same road. George are you there?” Charles said to those gathered.

“Yes, your honour, I am,” George replied as he stepped into the room a few moments later. “Folks this is George, he and his wife Mary are the house staff for Tyler, at his home, that is about 6 kilometres away, on the north coast of the island, in the suburb of Hamstead.

“George, do you know of anyone that can be housekeepers for Matthew and Kate?” Charles asked, “Yes sir, I do indeed, and they live not very far away, in Shalfleet Village,” George replied. “Good, can you have them come by at say 9 am tomorrow, to have an interview with Matthew and Katherine, at their place next door please,” Charles asked, “Yes, your Honour, I shall do that right away,” George replied before leaving the room.

“Charles, that is a nice thought, but I think I will be able to cope with keeping the house clean,” Katherine said after a few moments of silence, “Nonsense my girl, you will need plenty of help, as the property includes stables a cottage, and a few paddocks as well. If it is Anna and Hector that George is sending over tomorrow morning, then they will be ideal.

They are semi-retired, Hector has been in horticulture for many years, and Anna has spent 8 years as housekeeper at Barton Manor, before it got a bit too much for her, so they will be perfect for you both,” Charles said. “Very well, if you insist,” Katherine replied.

“Right, now that has been cleared up, I would like Lucas to update his parents on what happened at the pub today,” Tyler announced, and right away all eyes were on him. “Thanks, my Lord Tyler,” Lucas said, and Tyler just smiled, “Well, initially just George and I entered the pub, but Tyler was keeping track of everything via the phone call, with my phone in my pocket.

A lady that we now know as Kathleen was vacuuming the main hallway carpet when we entered, and there was a very loud television on in the main bar, with a group of young men watching a soccer match, so we headed to the room opposite which is the dining room, where one couple was seated.

When we overheard the male diner state to the waitress, who we now know as Emily, that it wasn’t what he ordered, George went to investigate, and I suggested Tyler that he come in right away, which he did. Although Emily got a bid narky for interfering, she later apologised for behaviour.

When Tyler entered the dining area, the two guests recognised him right away and stood and did that usual formal Bull… err stuff,” Lucas said which had Tyler laughing. “You are really finding it hard to deal with formal etiquette, my friend, maybe we should send you to college to learn deportment and etiquette lessons,” Tyler said smiling. “What the heck is deportment?” Lucas asked.

“Sir, I think you better let me organise that, which would be best to be done in London,” Charles suggested, “Very well, but remember that his parent’s will need him, so not too long,” Tyler replied, and all Lucas could do was groan, “That is one thing that this course will hopefully get you out of the habit of doing, dearest son,” Mrs Carrington said, “Yes mother,” Tyler replied.

“You will enjoy it I am sure, they have a number of different course, of which two of them should be sufficient for you to make a big improvement, and if approved by your friend, we will need to get you some proper attire,” Charles said and Lucas groaned again.

“Don’t worry mate, I have decided that I will do the same courses, since I never know when I may need to attend a formal dinner of some kind,” Tyler said to his friend. “Oh, thanks for the reminder, I have a letter for you,” Charles said as he stood up and went out of the room for a few minutes, and he returned carrying a small silver tray, and on it was a very stylish letter.

“I think I have spoken to soon,” Tyler said as he stared at the letter on the tray, before eventually picking it up,
“Oh great, that is all I need,” Tyler said when he saw the emblem on the back of the envelope, “You did indeed speak to soon,” Charles said as he placed the tray on the side table and sat down again.

“Who is it from son?” Matthew asked, “I wonder if I can pretend that I didn’t receive the letter?” Tyler stated, as he looked at his uncle, “Don’t you dare think of it, as it will be an insult to your hosts, plus they already know that you are back in the country,” Charles said as he scorned his nephew. “Tell us Tyler, who is it from?” Lucas asked.

Tyler opened the envelope, careful not to reveal the emblem on the back and he pulled out the single thick card, and sighed. “Her Majesty requests the presence of Lord Tyler Finch, Earl of Portland, to a formal ball to be held at Osbourne House on the 24th of next month, commencing at 6 pm,” Tyler said reading out the information in front of him.

“Wow, you will have to do those courses now,” Lucas said sounding surprised. “It says to bring a partner, and since I don’t have one, how about you coming along with me Mum,” Tyler said with a smile, and the shocked look on Katherine’s face had everyone laughing. “No, I think I will pass on that, thank you. What about asking Uncle Charles?” Katherine replied.

“I have been invited as well, so no point in asking me, Charles replied. “Well I will have to go on my own then… I wonder if Emily had a boyfriend or not?” Tyler said as the idea came to mind, and Lucas laughed, I doubt that she would say yes, she would more likely faint if you asked her,” Lucas said.

“Tomorrow, when you go to the pub, can you discreetly ask Kathleen if Emily has a boyfreind, and also find out if Kathleen has a husband?” Tyler asked as he looked at his uncle, who suddenly realised what was happening, “Oh no you don’t young man, I am not going to let a stranger be my partner for a very formal night with royalty,” Charles said to Tyler.

“I think she would be perfect your honour, she has fiery long red hair, and a mild Scottish accent, she would be perfect if she is available,” Lucas said. “Leave it with me boys, I will do the asking for you. Won’t you be coming to the pub with us tomorrow?” Mr Carrington asked.

“No, the word has probably spread with the media by now, with the assistance of the former manager of the pub, so I will go with my parents to the main farm and from there back home, to hide from the media,” Tyler replied. “How are we getting there?” Matthew asked.

“At his Lordships request, I have purchased a Landrover Discovery, which is at his Lordship’s home, I will drive it over to here in the morning, and you can take over driving from there on,” George announced. From his place just inside the lounge doorway.

“A new car, you should have consulted with us first on this Tyler,” Mr Carrington said to Tyler, “It is nothing really, I can afford it and it is all part of the gift of joining me here in the UK, anyway it is time for me to head home,” Tyler replied. “I’m coming too, since my gear is all at Tyler’s place, I will see you all tomorrow morning,” Lucas said as he followed Tyler and George out.

A few minutes later they were on there way back to Sea View, and there was silence for nearly a third of the way. “I didn’t see an extra car at your place this morning?” Lucas asked his friend, “That is because it is at George and Mary’s place, and Mary was going to drive it up to my house later,” Tyler replied.

When they arrived at Tyler’s home, not only was there a brand new Landrover Discovery, but also a Mini Cooper, and Lucas looked at Tyler, who smiled. “That is a present for you from me, I hope you like it?” Tyler said to his good friend. “Like it? I love it, thank you my best friend ever,” Lucas responded, as he jumped out of Georges vehicle, to look at his new car, and Mary stepped out holding a set of keys.

“I believe these belong to you, master Lucas,” she said smiling, and Lucas ran up to Mary and kissed her on the cheek, “Thank you dear lady,” he whispered, before accepting the keys, and dashing to his car. While Lucas was checking every inch of the Mini Copper, George handed the keys to the Landrover to Tyler. “How about all of us take a ride back to Elm Lane, that way we can deliver the two cars,” George suggested.

“Ahh, but I would have to pack right away, and I want to spend another night here, pleeeeease,” Lucas said, and Tyler laughed, “As long as Mary has enough food to feed you for dinner, it is ok with me,” Tyler said to his friend between chuckles, and Lucas looked to Mary who just laughed and walked back inside.

The next morning, Lucas drove his car, while George drove the Landrover, with Mary beside him and Tyler in the back, over to Elm Farm, and while Lucas continued on ahead, unsure if he would get lost or not, George stopped at his home, where another Landrover was parked.

“I was wondering about the second one?” Tyler said as he received a set of keys from Mary. “Just follow us and you will be, but I am not sure about young Lucas, we may get a phone call from him shortly,” George said, and just as Tyler exited the car, his phone rang.

“Hi mate, are you lost already?” Tyler said into the phone, “Yeah very funny trick you pulled their buddy,” Lucas responded, “Not a trick mate, we just stopped off at George and Mary’s place for a short moment to collect something, that is all, where are you?” Tyler replied.

“I am on the main road, corner of Hamstead Road,” Lucas replied, “You are on the right track, keep going till you pass through Shelfleet Village, which is a 30 k zone, then take the first turn on your right, which is Elm Lane, and the house is on your left, just after the two big sheds,” Tyler said to his friend.

“Ok, I think I got that, bye,” Lucas said before ending he call. “You have a good sense of directions, you are spot on with what you said to Lucas,” George said, and he drove off, not waiting for Tyler to get into the other vehicle, but he had soon caught up to them.

George and Tyler arrived just a minute after Lucas, and he had parked at Charles place, while George and Tyler continued on down to the main farm house. “Good morning parents and friends,” Tyler said formally, as they exited the house, “Good morning my Lord,” Lucas’s mum responded, and Katherine laughed as she pulled Tyler into a hug, “Good morning son,” she whispered.

“Why is there two Landrover Discovery’s,” Matthew asked as he looked at both of them, with the only difference being the colour, “Easy, one for the Carrington’s and one for the Hunter’s,” Tyler replied smiling. “Where is… never mind I see him now, did you drop him off down the road?” Lucas’s father asked and Tyler laughed.

“No, he was not naughty, he came in his own car, which he parked next door, where is Uncle Charles?” Tyler replied. “He had to return to the mainland early, as there is some problem at Welbeck, and he will call you, when he gets there and knows what exactly is happening,” Matthew replied.

“You have your own car?” Lucas’s father asked, “Yes dad, it is a Mini Cooper, small and compact, and I love it, driving it is awesome,” Lucas replied, which had Tyler chuckling.

Copyright © November 2019 Preston Wigglesworth. All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 16
  • Love 8
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Awesome chapter. Tyler, Lucas and there family seem to be settling into there new homes nicely. Tyler has an invite to a formal function. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Excellent chapter, they seem to be settling in well, I wonder what drama lies ahead, I think that the function is going to be a eye opening for all

  • Like 4
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..