Jump to content
    quokka
  • Author
  • 2,570 Words
  • 2,085 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Earl - 15. Earl Chapter 15

“I’ve asked you all in here now, as there is a business deal that I need to update you all on. As you may have read in the media recently the company Freightlink has gone into receivership and has been trying to sell its assets, namely the Darwin to Tarcoola Rail line.

I know you read that it had been sold to a US company, but that has fallen through, and so Sebastian’s and my companies have done a deal, and under the same consortium name, we have purchase a 60% majority share of the rail line, with the NT Government and the Federal Government each having 20% shares, this way the rail line remains in ownership in Australia, and not overseas.

This means that we also control the rail line on East Arm Port, and in anticipation of getting control of the rail line, we have built two large sheds, just South-West of the Darwin Rail passenger terminal, that has a length of 120 metres long, with one covering over the rail lines and the other the main road into the port.

We will be using this shed as a Customs & Quarantine station, for all freight coming into East Arm, and travelling out to businesses and further south to other states of Australia. The consortium has built the giant sheds on behalf of the Federal Government, so that all freight can be quickly scanned for any illegal or dangerous items that may cause harm to the Australian people or the environment,” Hamish announced.

“Wow, that will teach me to not listen to my husband about business deals that he is doing,” Lewis commented, and Sebastian smiled at his husband. “Well, that is good news, it makes me feel a lot safer, knowing that you guys are doing great things to keep the Top End of Australia safe,” Tyler said.

“We just wanted to let you know what is happening, because I think after this meeting tonight, word will quickly spread about our newest acquisition and how things are going to be changing with operations within Darwin harbour, which may include having Naval personnel posted at Harbour control,” Sebastian stated.

After the very long meeting, at Government house which included dinner, it was as suspected, a roster of Naval staff would be stationed at Harbour control from 0600 to 1800 hours each day, and when needed after hours also, and they will manage the operations of Naval shipping coming in and going out of the harbour.

The use of the shed for customs and quarantine checks for all trucks and trains that are carrying freight and leaving East Arm would come into effect, as soon as the additional equipment and staff are ready to begin operations there, and with the Shed being outside the East Arm boundary, the Chinese company would have no influence with its operations there.

Two days later, Sebastian, Lewis and Tyler had just passed through the Territory Air Services terminal, and were boarding Sebastian’s private jet, which is a Beechcraft Hawker 400 Business Jet. Sebastian had informed Tyler that the plane can carry 8 passengers, with two flight crew and one cabin crew, with a range of just over 3,000 km’s.

Tyler learnt that although the plane could travel from Darwin to Geraldton non-stop, Sebastian said he prefers to have one stop, so as to guarantee a safe arrival, and so they would be stopping briefly at Broome, to top up the fuel tanks, and give the flight crew a short rest, before continuing on to the cattle station just east of Geraldton.

During the stop in Broome, Tyler took that time to call home, to let his parents know that he was on his way home for a visit. When there was no answer on the homestead phone, Tyler called the Pindar Pub, hoping that his parents are there.

“Pindar Pub, this is Lucas Carrington speaking,” came a familiar voice which made Tyler smile broadly. “Hey mate, how are things going on the home front?” Tyler replied. “G’day stranger, nice to hear your voice again, are you in WA?” Lucas asked.

“I am indeed, I am travelling with friends in their private jet, we have just stopped in Broome to top up the fuel and have a short break, before we head out your way,” Tyler replied. “That is great news, but your folks are having a short break in Perth at the moment. I am managing things out on the station while they are away, I have just come in to pick up some food supplies,” Lucas explained.

“Oh, ok, when are my parents returning to Pindar?” Tyler asked, sounding a little surprised, “They should be back in about three days, will you be staying that long?” Lucas replied, “Yes, I want to catchup with my folks before I fly back to the UK, I have been in Darwin for a few months and now that things are settled there, I am ready to visit home again,” Tyler said.

“Excellent news, umm, you better land at Pindar, the cattle have been camping on the airfield again, so it is a bit of a mess,” Lucas said, “Ok, I will let the pilot know, I think it will be about 2 hours from here to Pindar by light plane, so I will see you when we land,” Tyler said to his good friend.

When the jet plane landed on the gravel road just south of the main sealed road, which has been widened for aircraft landings, it was a little corrugated, so the landing was a little rough, and Tyler was glad when the plane turned into the gravel parking apron on the side of the road, near the road junction.

A Toyota Landcruiser was parked nearby, and as Tyler glanced out the window, he saw Lucas smiling and he gave a short wave, “Looks like my official welcoming party is here,” Tyler commented, which made Sebastian and Lewis laugh.

After introductions were made, Tyler’s luggage was placed in the back tray and Tyler and Lewis climbed onto the back, allowing Sebastian to ride inside for the short distance to the pub, where Lucas directed the visitors to the private dining room, as Mrs Carrington had lunch prepared for them, with the three members of the flight crew joining them, after walking the short distance to the pub.

After a great meal, the flight crew returned to the plane to prepare to take off, while Sebastian and Lewis thanked their hosts, before Tyler drove them to the aircraft, and thanked them for the lift home, and wished them a safe flight back to their home near Denham.

Back at the pub, two boxes of food and a large esky were sitting on a table, ready to be loaded onto the Landrover, when Tyler arrived back, and with his luggage still there, it didn’t take the lads long to load up the supplies, before thanking Mr & Mrs Carrington and setting off north to the station homestead.

“Well it hasn’t changed much during the time that I have been away,” Tyler commented, as the pulled up near the back gate of the homestead, before carting the food supplies inside, then collecting Tyler’s luggage. “I have been using the guest bedroom, so your room is just as you left it,” Lucas said to his friend, as Tyler walked down the hallway to his childhood bedroom.

Memories flooded back, as he looked around the room, nothing had changed, it was indeed just as he left it last time he was there so long ago. Tyler had no idea what the future would be for him, but he now knew that it would not be here at is childhood home in Western Australia, which made him feel very sad.

“You ready to go and do a water run with me?” Lucas called out as he approached, and Tyler quickly wiped away the tear that had slid down his cheek, “Yes, give me a minute to change into some work gear and I will be right with you,” Tyler replied, as he gently closed the bedroom door, so as to get changed.

Five long hours later, the Landrover pulled up into the shed, and Tyler was not only tired but very sore, from all the work, that his bodies muscles had done today, he was unaware how unfit he had become since living in the UK, and he made a mental note to do a lot more exercise when he gets back to Sea View on the Isle of Wight.

When Matthew and Katherine arrived back in Pindar, after 10 days of just relaxing and doing very little, they called into the pub, to see their friends the Carrington’s, who informed them that a special package had arrived three days ago, and that Lucas had taken it out to the homestead.

With them not saying any more about it, Matthew and Katherine drove home, wondering what the special package could be. Pulling up at the back gate of the homestead, there was no sign of Lucas, who they guessed was probably doing a water run, but fifteen minutes earlier, Lucas’s mum called her son by two-way radio, to let him and Tyler know that Tyler’s parents are on their way home.

While Matthew and Katherine were unpacking their luggage, and getting settled back into home life on the station, Lucas and Tyler were not that far away and heading back to the homestead. “That sounds like Lucas coming in now,” Matthew said to his wife, just as he was putting his work boots on.

“Katherine…” Matthew called out as he made a dash to the door, having seen their son approaching through the window, and it was not long after that Tyler was being hugged tightly by his parents, who were so happy to see their son back home.

Happy to see a nice family reunion, Lucas headed to the guest bedroom to start packing his belongings, and prepare to head back to Pindar, now that his duties as caretaker are over, and he would be back working for his parents at the pub.

A little later in the day, at the request of Tyler, he and his parents headed into town to have dinner at the pub, and after they had eaten, Tyler asked Mr & Mrs Carrington and Lucas to join them for a short bit.

“I have given this a great deal of thought, and I wish to discuss this idea to all of you while I am here,” Tyler began, and all eyes were now on him with that starting statement. “I realise now that my home will no-longer be here in Pindar or Western Australia, but in the UK.

It is for that reason that I have a proposal for you all, I have a number of properties around the UK, and that includes a 135 acre farm on the North coast of the Isle of Wight off the coast of Hampshire, with Aberdeen Angus cattle established on the farm,” Tyler announced.

“That sounds nice, but what does that have to do with us?” Mr Carrington asked, “Well as it happens, I did a bit of research while I was in Darwin, and there is a pub that has just come onto the market, which is just 2 kilometres down the road from the farm, and it includes a 3 bedroom owner’s residence upstairs, I have already put in an offer for the property, and I am just waiting for a reply” Tyler replied.

“You mean we would all be moving to the South of England together, and like here we would all be close by?” Lucas asked excitedly, and Tyler smiled and nodded his head yes. “All you have to do is say yes, and I will begin making the arrangements,” Tyler said.

“What about you, isn’t your seat, in the middle of England?” Matthew asked, “Yes, it is, but it is not where I have my permanent home, which is a comfortable home on the North coast of the Isle of Wight, were I can hide away and be undisturbed from the media,” Tyler replied.

“Yes, I have been there it is a beautiful location, and surprisingly remote for an island,” Lucas added. Matthew looked to his wife for guidance, Katherine smiled and nodded her head yes, “Well it looks like we are moving to the UK,” Matthew announced. “I think we all know that our son loves being close to his best mate, and a change of scenery may do us some good,” Lucas’s father said.

“Excellent, I will begin making the arrangements, while you all start preparing to sell up and move. If you don’t find any buyers for the pub by the time you are ready to move, don’t worry about it, I will buy it off you and if need be we can just close it down, or just make it into a community centre for those still living in the area.

One last thing, I ask that you not mention the Isle of Wight to anyone, if anyone asks where you are moving to, tell them you are moving to Southampton in Hampshire,” Tyler announced. “Are the media really that bad?” Katherine asked, and Lucas let out a short laugh, “Bad! They are… what is it you called them?” Lucas said, “Vultures” Tyler responded, and Lucas nodded his head in agreement.

Less than three months later, Matthew and Katherine had sold the two properties at Pindar, Tallering Station and Pindar Farm, plus they had sold the coastal property at Sandy Gully, North of Geraldton, and what furniture and belongings that they were not taking with them were either sold or given to charity organisations.

Tyler had remained in WA while this was taking place, and he leased a large house in Geraldton, for him and his parents to live in as they sorted and packed their belongings. The pub in Pindar did sell, and surprisingly quickly too, so the Carrington’s stayed in the house in Geraldton, until everyone was ready to make the trip to the UK.

When the time finally came, Tyler had booked and paid for the tickets for his parents and Lucas’s parents, travelling in business class all the way from Perth to London, with one stopover in Singapore, while Tyler and Lucas would travel two days earlier, also in business class, but via Switzerland, and Amsterdam, arriving just one day ahead of the parents, as they had longer stopovers along the way.

Uncle Charles was at Heathrow to collect the two lads, with Tyler travelling on his Australian passport, to try and slip into the UK unnoticed by the media, and surprisingly it worked, as they headed away from Heathrow and towards Lymington, to catch the ferry over to the Isle of Wight.

George and Mary were at the front door of Tyler’s Sea View home, when they arrived, and feeling tired from the long journey, they staggered into the house and collapsed in the lounge room, leaving the staff to bring in their luggage. “His honour said to say goodbye, and to let you know that he will be staying at his home at Elm Farm, and he will collect both of your parents from Heathrow tomorrow afternoon, and they will stay with him at Elm Farm” Mary said to Tyler.

Copyright © November 2019 Preston Wigglesworth. All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 13
  • Love 10
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Awesome chapter. Great to see Tyler , relocating his family and friends to the UK so that they are all close together. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Esky - Eskimo Cooler; styrofoam box to keep contents cold manufactured by Igloo or Eskimo in sizes from 24 quarts up to 148 quarts-
WA - Western Australia
Toyota Landcruiser Back Tray Pickup style truck. the Back Tray refers to the 'tub'.

  • Love 2
Link to comment

I am surprised Tyler's family sold both of the Station's, I can understand maybe selling the large one east of Geraldton, but I would have at least leased out the one smaller one over in Sandy Gully just in case in a year or two they might miss back home and decide to move back. Lucas' family could always open another place back in the area without much problems I would think if the got homesick. But large station in that area may be easily found for sale. I don't really know.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..