Jump to content
    quokka
  • Author
  • 2,315 Words
  • 2,831 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Life on the Swan - 2. Swan Chapter 2

“Well there is a house, that would make a good investment, no direct river access, but unlimited river views in Bindaring Parade, Claremont, just one block north of being in the Shire of Peppermint Grove.

The property is number 14 and it looks to have been built fairly recently, with a front double garage on the northside, ahead of a walled courtyard, before actually getting to the house itself. From what I saw on the sign at the front, it has 4 bedrooms, two bathrooms, a billiards room, study, and a living room” I replied.

“Sounds fairly impressive, lets talk to Seb about it some more when he gets here, ah, here he comes now” Lewis said to me, and once the groceries were loaded in, we headed out of town to the home retreat, out of town, and on the journey, I described the property to Lewis and Sebastian.

Before dinner, Sebastian went online to check out the listing of the property that I had mentioned, and when he had seen everything he needed to know, he called the estate agent and made an offer on the property, before Seb tuned to look at me, “what about this property?” he asked me pointing out a modern apartment, and I read the information on it.

“An apartment in Bay Road, Claremont, two bedrooms, two bathrooms, with two secure undercover car bays, close to shops, 1.5 kms from the Grammar School.”

“Ok, if you think it is best, go for it, but why ask me, its your money you are spending to buy all of this land?” I asked, and both Lewis and Sebastian chuckled at my comment. “What? What exactly are you guys not telling me?” I asked in a confused manner.

“We finally managed to sell Douglas farm, and we put the money from the sale into a Swiss account, in your name, with me as your executor, until you reach the age of twenty one, so technically, it is your money that we are spending” Sebastian announced, “What? Really? Wow!” was all I could say, shocked at what I had heard.

“Huon Investments, is your company, but because you are still a minor, Lewis, the twins and I are joint Directors of the company, with 5% shares each, and you have the remaining 80% of shares in the company, we will be guiding you with all decisions regarding the company, until you reach the age of twenty one, then you as the senior shareholder, can make all the decisions” Sebastian informed me.

“Wow, that is not what I expected, thanks” I said in reply. “Apart from the sale of Douglas Farm, you also have a regular income as part of the family company, which has been transferred into your company account, while you are at school, you will have a $1,500 a month income, for spending on what ever you want, but it must include all your clothing and footwear that you need.

We will still cover all of your school expenses, including uniforms, school shoes, and sports gear, but the purchase of personal stuff is your responsibility” Lewis added, and I nodded my head in understanding.

Sebastian made another call, to make an offer on the other property, which are listed with the same estate agent, and we were told that the offers would be passed on Monday morning. “I am wondering, is there a reason why you have recommended that we invest in property close to the school that I attend?” I asked.

“Well, we already own some land in this suburb actually, on Ashton and Second Avenues, backing onto the showgrounds, and also plus some land on Queenslea Drive, opposite the school, which the school leases from us” Lewis announced, “Really? Oh, do you mean where the Prep School is now, between Queenslea Drive and Bayview Terrace” I asked.

“Yes, that is right, and two houses as well, of which one is Mrs Cooper’s retirement property, the other is her investment property, for her two nephews” Sebastian said.

“Wow, do many at the school know that it is Wagner International that owns the land, which they use for the Prep School?” I asked.

“No, only the School Board members have that privilege, we purposely built the buildings especial for education use, although they could be used for businesses I guess” Lewis replied.

“We have also recently bought three vacant properties and a small block offour flats, around the corner from the school, opposite the hospital, and the small block of four flats that back onto the hospital on Victoria Avenue, which we are yet to decide what to do with the land, Lewis wants us to donate the land to the hospital, but I am not so sure” Sebastian added as his mobile rang, and he answered the call in Italian.

I listened in on Sebastian’s half of the conversation, and it sounded like a very interesting situation, but I waited until the call ended. “Well, that is something out of the blue, our lawyers have received a proposal from the school board, asking if we could consider it seriously and get back to us as soon as possible” Sebastian said.

“Now you know I can’t understand Italian properly, so tell me what is this all about?” Lewis said sounding frustrated.

“Well, many years back, when there use to be a Catholic private school across the road from the Grammar school which in those days used to be called St Louis, the church bought some land in Mount Claremont, and relocated the whole school to the new location, now it appears that the Grammar school has the same idea.

The new playing fields of the grammar school, actually back onto John XX111 Catholic College, what used to be called St Louis, and there is 27 acres of vacant land that the Grammar school owns, located behind the playing fields of both schools, and also the UWA playing fields, that he Grammar school wants to use the vacant land, to build a new school.

They may be able to get an additional twenty acres of land next to their old playing fields in Mount Claremont, to expand their space and in exchange for us paying for all of the building costs, they will hand over the land that the Grammar school is currently on, over to us, once the move is completed” Sebastian said.

“Holy shit, that is incredible, what about the land that you own, that the school leases” I said, “We just develop it into modern residential and retail space, and we could also donate that land next to and opposite to the hospital to the hospital, so they can expand their services, as a thank you, because they treated your Dad when he fell sick a number of times” Sebastian said to me.

I felt sad all of a sudden, at the mention of my Dad, and I looked Sebastian in the eyes, “Yes, give the land to the hospital, if that is what you want, I am happy with that” I said.

The big question now is, what the hell do we do with 16.14 acres of prime real estate, with so many usable buildings on it” Sebastian said.

“Can I make some suggestions, since I am at the school every weekday. In a straight line from the roundabout to the MLC boundary, all land north of that keep as it is, as nearly all the buildings are modern and can be multi-use.

Everything from that line to the river boundary, I recommend you demolish all of it, that would include the old McClements boarding house, the dining hall and medical centre, the education support building, most of the old Prep school is already demolished, which leaves just the chapel and the Walters boarding house, which for a guess, would be a little under a third of the total area.

What you will have is a total of ten large education buildings, plus the gymnasium and heated swimming pool… actually I have a thought, if you do make the current Prep School into commercial space, you could lease the front section of the senior school, to the Grammar School to make it a new and bigger Prep School, and then you will have about 6 acres of prime river frontage land for development” I suggested.

“By George, I think he has something there” Lewis said, imitating an English accent, and we all burst out laughing. During the weekend, Sebastian was busy putting together everything that we discussed onto the computer, and then from that he typed up a suggested proposal to the Grammar School, agreeing to pay for all of the building costs for establishing a Senior school on current School land in Mt Claremont.

Once the move and hand over has taken place, he suggests that the school leases back the Stirling Highway front half of the Claremont campus, so it can become the new and bigger Prep School, and Wagner International will develop the river end of the land, once suitable ideas and plans have been completed.

This will include regaining access to the river frontage in front of the school, meaning an adjustment to the agreement with the Claremont Yacht Club for having Yacht pens in front of the school land.

The re-adjustment to the agreement would require the removal of 36 yacht pens closest to the school, and also to regain control of the land, currently used by the Prep school between Queenslea Drive and Freshwater Terrace.

By lunchtime on Monday, when I was preparing to fly back to Perth, to return to school, Sebastian had completed his proposal, and had a response from the company lawyers back in Switzerland, giving their approval for the plans, and with the proposal submission sealed in a large yellow envelope, Sebastian placed it into a new briefcase and handed it to me, so I could deliver it to the school.

When I arrived back at the school, I immediately locked the suitcase into my sports locker for safety, knowing that the other boarders would be curious to know what is inside the brief case.

That evening, as I stepped out of the dining hall after dinner, I received a text message from Sebastian, “Offer for Bay Road apartment have been accepted, but missed out on Bindaring Parade house, congratulations, you know own some very nice property in Claremont. What do you plan to do with the apartment? Seb.”

“I think if the apartment is good, I may use it as my weekend retreat,” I responded, and moments later I received a reply. “Nice idea, I approve of the apartment being a home for you,” Sebastian had messaged.

The following morning, I ate breakfast very quickly and with backpack and briefcase in hand, I headed down to the school’s administration building. “Mr Devonport isn’t it?” a deep voice said after I entered the reception area, and I turned to one side, to see the Headmaster standing at a doorway.

“Yes, Headmaster, that is correct, Alexander Devonport, I have actually come here to speak to you very briefly, if I may have two minutes please,” I replied. “Very well, and that is about all you will have before you are due to head to your first class” the Headmaster said as he indicated the direction for me to follow.

It was the first time that I had been in the headmaster’s office, which was large and nicely furnished. “Now Alexander, what is it you wish to speak to me about?” the headmaster asked, as he sat down and indicated for me to sit.

I opened the briefcase, which Sebastian had given me to combination for, and I saw two business cards sitting on top of the yellow envelope, one has Sebastian’s name as CEO of Wagner Corporation, and the second one has my name on it.

“Alexander (Xander) Devonport, Investment Consultant, Wagner Corporation & CEO of Huon Investments,” which caught me by surprise, as I retrieved both business cards and the envelope, before closing he lid of the briefcase. “Sir I am not sure if you are aware of what the Grammar school board has planned for the future of this school, or if you know who owns the land that the school leases for the prep school premises” I started, watching the headmasters face carefully to see his response.

“I am fully aware of what he school board is doing, as I receive minutes of their monthly meetings, and yes I know that an international company owns the land that the Prep school is located, but what I want to know is how do you know this, and what is your involvement?” the headmaster asked.

At that point, I placed my new business card in front of the headmaster and waited, as the headmaster frowned then looked shocked at what was in front of him, with his mouth dropped open. “Sebastian Devonport is my first cousin and my guardian, and I am a minor shareholder of Wagner International” I announced quietly.

“Holy hell… excuse me for that comment, I just… well this is a new one for the books, so to speak. That envelope, does that have anything to do with a recent proposal put to the corporation, regarding Mount Claremont?’ the Headmaster said, after a few moments of stuttering.

“It is, Sebastian finished this on Sunday night, and asked me to deliver it to you personally, to be handed directly to the Chairman of the School Board, as soon as possible,” I replied before handing over the envelope. Quite a heavy document, any idea what it contains?” the Headmaster commented, and I couldn’t help but laugh.

“Now Sir, you know that would be breaking the rules, and that is not permitted in this school,” I replied with a big grin, and the headmaster laughed.

Copyright July 2019 Preston Wigglesworth. All Rights are Reserved.
  • Like 28
  • Love 11
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Fantastic chapter. I think it’s great that Sebastian has enough business sense to know that Xander is ready to begin working with the business. I like how the discussions went about the different properties that Xander was interested in purchasing as well as others that were already owned by them as Wagner International Investments. Once they had put in their offer for the property that Xander had suggested, they discussed what the school board wanted to do with some of the property that is owned by the company as well as property around the hospital where Huon was treated a number of times. When Xander returned to school after a long weekend with Sebastian & Lewis he went to the administration building to speak to the Headmaster about the property that the school board is interested in, he asked the Headmaster if he knew who owns the property that is wanted.  The Headmaster stated that it’s owned by an international company, that’s when Xander placed the business card in front of the Headmaster who started to laugh as Xander explains how he’s involved with the company that owns the property. Great story into Xander and what he does now that he’s under the care of Sebastian who is his legal guardian. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Brilliant chapter, this is getting better, with some interesting developments ahead. More please 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment

Awesome chapter. It’s great to see Xander involved in the business and owning property. I look forward to the plans for the new school and the redevelopment of the land.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..