Jump to content
    quokka
  • Author
  • 2,298 Words
  • 2,064 Views
  • 9 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Life on the Swan - 6. Swan Chapter 6

Chas was a little surprised at this announcement, as we headed East along Victoria Avenue, when we came to the corner of Adams Road, we stopped and Chas looked down towards the river, while I looked up at the street sign, which indicated that my new home was indeed close to the river.

“Just a few very rich people own properties down that way, so I guess your new place is away from the river” Chas said to me, and I grinned broadly. “What… no? Really?” Chas said in shock when he saw me grinning broadly, and I nodded my head yes, as I looked at the Maps app on my phone, and realised that I was standing right beside the back boundary of my home.

The very sort ride down the hill, took us to number 86, and we saw a steel garrison fence along the front, just metres away from the front steps of the house, with the sign “The Bungalow” located on the pillar, near the front gate, as we approached and I pressed the intercom button near the gate, which has a small camera incorporated in it.

“Welcome to the bungalow Master Xander, please enter” a voice said over the intercom, then we heard a click sound from the gate as it unlocked, and I pulled it open, and led the way through and up the steps to the front door.

As the door opened, I was surprised to see Wyatt Cooper standing there, dressed in a morning suit, with white gloves and smiling broadly. “Welcome to your new home sir” Wyatt said to me.

“Thankyou Wyatt, I had no idea that Seb had sent you to be my house staff, but I am very pleased that it is someone I already know, how are things up at Denham” I responded, as I walked inside and looked around the large entry foyer, with Chas following.

“Very hot sir, I am glad to be back in Perth” Wyatt replied, “This is a school friend of mine, Charles Parker, but he prefers to be called Chas, his old man is the chairman of the school board” I said to Wyatt. “Yes, I know, it is nice to meet you sir “Wyatt responded, and I saw Chas frown at this, which made me chuckle.

“I think you better drop all of the formal stuff Wyatt; you know how much I hate it, and also while on the subject, how about being a little bit less formal with the dress code as well” I said to my new house staff member. “Yes sir, I mean Master Xander, would you both like a cool drink, while you explore the property?” Wyatt asked me, and I nodded my head yes, as I headed deeper into the house.

After a tour of the bungalow, I learnt that the master suite overlooks a small private courtyard, while the other two bedrooms share a bathroom and face towards the pool and garden. The bungalow, has a large billiards room adjoining the main double garage, and the single garage has a separate staff suite behind it, which can be accessed from the laundry, behind the kitchen.

Apart from the formal lounge and dining room, there is also a library and a study, that face Adams road, with doors leading out to the front verandah. The house looked to be a few decades old but it has been well looked after, and I liked it.

After Chas had left to go home, after promising not to reveal who my guardian is or anything about my life, I spent some more time exploring the bungalow in more detail. I noticed that already, that a lot of my belongings where in the master suite, and I decided to have an early dinner in my new home before having to return back to school, which Wyatt was very pleased about.

Leaving my bike at my new home, Wyatt drove me back to school in the car that Seb had bought for Wyatt to use, which is a Lexus LX diesel SUV, with very dark tinting wide screen audio video screens, rear controls for air-conditioning, and very comfortable leather seats.

Arriving back at the boarding house just before the start of study hall, I collected the books that I needed and headed to of to do my required homework. The rest of the school week, went fairly slowly, with Chas spending a lot of time trying to get to know me some more, but I tried to avoid him as much as possible, as I skipped lunch, after making sure I have a big breakfast and dinner each day, and on Wednesday, I headed to the admin building during lunch break.

“Mr Devonport, what brings you over here, anything wrong?” the headmaster said when I entered, as he finished a conversation with the receptionist. “A private word with you if I may please sir” I responded, and moments later I was seated in his office.

“Sir as much as I like the guy, I am finding his attention is getting very claustrophobic, and no matter how many hints I give him in a polite way of course, he just won’t give me any space. I think letting him know where my new home was a big mistake, and my house staff inform me that he called in after school yesterday, when I was actually at sports training, I just…” I said then sighed loudly.

“Although you have not mentioned a name, I have a good guess who you mean, a senior who happens to be the son of the chairman of the board?” the headmaster said to me, and I nodded my head in the affirmative.

“He is a really nice guy and all, and yes I am bi, and I am not sure about his orientation, but I have my suspicions. He is a year older than me, and I just don’t like how he has attached to me, ever since he learnt who my guardian is and how rich I really am. I don’t want to hurt him in any way, but I have too much happening in my life, and getting involved in anyone at the moment, is just not in my plans” I said.

“Say no more, I will have a quiet word with him later today, and hopefully that will be the end of it” the headmaster said, and I thanked him for his time and left the building. “What did he want with you? Are you in trouble or something?” Chas said, appearing from out of now where, and giving me a fright.

“For goodness sakes, Chas, will you please just leave me alone, you are a nice guy, but please just give me space, and leave me the hell alone” I snapped and walked away at a fast pace. “Parker, in my office now” I heard the headmaster say, before I turned a corner in the corridor, and I sighed quietly before continuing on.

As I entered the class room for the first afternoon class, some of the students were whispering and when they saw me enter, they looked away and continued to whisper, I tired to ignore it and sat down in my usual seat. The same thing happened in the next class, and I was beginning to wonder what the hell was going on.

A student that I knew as Kyle Adamson, who was a very quiet bloke, that often kept to himself, saw down in the seat next to me and he place his mobile in front of me. I looked at the phone in shock, there was the photo od me taken standing in front of 16a Victoria Ave, and the message below it read – “Guess who in our school is a spoilt little rich kid, who can go off travelling around the world when ever he feels like it, and not get in trouble for it…”.

“Well that explains a lot, thanks for showing me Kyle, I appreciate it, can you send that to my phone please” I whispered to my classmate, as I gathered my books, shoved them in my backpack and stood up, as my phone indicated a new message, which I quickly glanced at, and it was from Kyle, before heading towards the door.

“Where are you going to Mr Devonport?” the teacher said as he entered the classroom, blocking my exit. “To the Administration sir, I have a meeting with the headmaster” I responded, and the teacher let me pass.

Once out of the building, I pulled out my phone and called Seb, and told everything that has happened, including the text message that is spreading throughout the school.

“Go to your room, pack everything up, I will have Wyatt come and collect you in twenty minutes, and leave me to speak to the headmaster, as I am not too happy about this” Seb said to me, when I had finished. When I arrived at my new home, I went to my room, and cried, until I eventually fell asleep.

I woke up when there was a knock on the door, “Master Xander, Mr Sebastian is on the telephone and wishes to speak to you, he knows that you have been very upset when you arrived home, and that I am very worried about you” Wyatt said to me softly.

“Thanks Wyatt, I will take the call in the study” I replied, as I headed to my bathroom and washed my face before exiting my room to speak to my guardian. “Hi mate, I have spoken to the headmaster, he informs me that he has had a chat to Chas, who said it was all a miss understanding, but when I told him what Chas had done with the message and the photo, which most of the students at the school have seen, he seemed very disappointed, and that he would speak to the boy’s father this evening about it.

“When I asked if that was all that he was going to do in the way of discipline, for what Chas Parker did to you, and the headmaster said yes, because his father was not only the school board chairman, but also a large benefactor to the school, that is when I lost my cool.

I informed the headmaster that not only was I withdrawing you from school immediately, but also, we as a Corporation are withdrawing our financial support for the relocation of the senior school to Mount Claremont.

I am also given the school notice that I am terminating the lease agreement with the Prep School, using the buildings across the road from the school and on Freshwater Parade and Bayview Terrace, effective from the end of the year, unless the school wishes to make a reasonable offer of market value, to buy the properties” Sebastian informed me.

“Wow, talk about hitting them below the belt, what did the headmaster say to that?” I responded in surprise, “I didn’t give him the chance to respond, as I ended the call at that point” Sebastian replied.

“Oh, I see, so what now?” I asked, “We will be coming down on Saturday for a few days, so if it is ok to stay with you, at your new home, as we would love to check it out, we can discuss that when we are there” Sebastian replied.

“Ok sure not a problem, I will let Wyatt, know you are both coming. Thanks for sticking up for me, regarding school, I appreciate it” I said, “That is what family is for mate, see you on Saturday, bye for now” Seb said and he ended the call.

After the call ended, I realised that it was already dark outside, and suddenly I smelt food, and my stomach rumbled, and next Wyatt laughed, “I heard that, come and eat some dinner” he called out to me, and moments later I was seated at the breakfast bar eating a delicious dinner.

“You are not eating?” I queried to Wyatt, “I have already eaten thankyou Master Xander, “Well in future, when we have no guests, I expect us to eat together, understood?” I said to Wyatt, “Yes sir, I mean Master Xander” Wyatt responded as he continued to clean up the kitchen.

After dinner, we watched a movie on the big screen television in the formal lounge, and I let Wyatt choose the movie. big mistake that was, as he chose ‘Gone with the Wind’. I had seen the movie before, but Wyatt made up for it with popcorn and non-alcoholic fruit punches during the movie.

The next morning it took me a few moments to remember where I was, and when I saw the clock and thought I was running really late for school, I started looking for my school uniform, as I opened and slammed closed wardrobe doors, before there was a knock on the door and Wyatt walked in.

“Where is my clean uniform, I am late for school” I asked as I gave up looking and went into the bathroom to shower, “No school today. Remember what happened yesterday, with Mr Sebastian withdrawing you from school” Wyatt replied loudly so he could be heard through the closed door.

“Oh, shit yes, I do now” I said after opening the door, and jumping back into bed, which made Wyatt laugh.

“I will call you when breakfast is ready, which will be only a few minutes” Wyatt said as he exited my bedroom. Reluctantly I dragged myself out of bed, and had a shower, before heading to the kitchen for breakfast. “What would you like to do today, since you have a few days of leisure before Mr Sebastian arrives?” Wyatt asked me.

Copyright July 2019 Preston Wigglesworth. All Rights are Reserved.
  • Like 19
  • Love 10
  • Wow 2
  • Sad 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Another awesome chapter. Chas wasn’t nice by spreading those pictures of Xander round the school and the papers. The school will suffer with all the financial help from Sebastian withdrawn. Xander should have a couple of fun days whilst waiting for Sebastian to arrive. Looking forward to seeing what adventures you have planned for Xander.

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I agree with chris as the school is going to suffer financially from the stupidity of another student who is supposed to be a prefect and a senior as well. I think what Sebastian did by stating that he was immediately taking Xander out of the school since the Headmaster only wants to give a stern talk to Chas and nothing more because of the fact that his father is on the school board and he is also a major financial contributor. I think what Chas did was sneaky and underhanded something needs to be done to him other than a stern talking to about his actions, I have a suspicion that he’s going to be in a lot of trouble now especially when his father finds out that Sebastian has withdrawn the offer of funding for the new senior school, as well as he said that he was terminating the lease of the space used for the primary school effective the end of the year. I also can’t wait to see what happens next for Xander. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Awesome chapter, wow every chapter seems to be more intense than the previous one, 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Just like Huon was. Very quick in doing very harsh punishment for anyone that might piss him off. Buying properties and abandoning them and running away. Spoiled with new riches and likes throwing a fit when something doesn't go his way. One of the few flaws I see in Quakka's stories. Punish an entire family or group of people for just one persons actions instead of making it a positive learning experience the person at fault. The world is a bad enough place as it is. If everyone one of us took drastic actions for everything that pissed us off or transgressed against us it really would be bloody scene in every village, town, city, state, and country in the world. People have to have a thicker skin or be able to try to work out their differences better than that.

Edited by pickuptoy
  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..