Jump to content
    quokka
  • Author
  • 2,114 Words
  • 3,726 Views
  • 11 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Papa Stour - 5. PS Ch 5

“Any more juicy bits of history that you can tell me?” I asked, and Robert chuckled at this comment, “Well yes, there is also the Crawford Priory, built by the 21st Earl of Crawford in 1758, and remained in the family till 1871,” Robert informed me.

“Any chance we can go and have a look at that too?” I asked, “Sure, the priory is in ruins now, and after a few years of hard negotiations, I have now bought back the land that includes the priory and a few other buildings, including about 270 acres of land,” Robert said. “Great, I will definitely want to check it out in that case,” I replied happily.

“There has been a lot of trees and shrubs growing in and around the priory, so I have begun a project of carefully removing them, so as to stop any further damage to the building. Once that is done, I will get an assessment done by Historic Scotland, to see how we can preserve the building, to stop it from decaying any further,” Robert informed me.

“Wow, that sounds like a big and expensive job,” I responded, “It is, but I think it is worth the effort, there is also one other place that has a family connection, Haig Hall in Greater Manchester, the only place not in Scotland, but was built for the 7th Earl of Balcarres, and was completed in 1840,” Robert replied.

I went for a walk to explore more of the house and after getting lost a couple of times, I finally made it to the dining room in time for an early dinner, and afterwards I retired early as the jetlag was catching up to me.

The following morning, I managed not to get lost on my way to the dining room, and during breakfast, Robert asked me which I wanted to see first, Dunecht House or Crawford Priory. I asked what the distances are from Balcarres House, and I was told that Dunecht is a 152 kilometres 2 hour drive, while the Priory is just a 22 kilometre 30 minute drive, so I elected to see the Priory first.

As we neared the end of breakfast, Hunter entered the dining room, “Good morning Master Crawford,” he said to me, which caught me by surprise a little, and I squeaked out a good morning in reply. “My Lord, the appointment that you asked me to arrange has been confirmed for 2 pm this afternoon, at her Edinburgh residence,” hunter said to Robert before leaving.

“What was all of that about?” I asked, “Just a small surprise that I have lined up for you, and we must not be late for that, so we better get a move on, if we are to be showered and dressed for the afternoon appointment,” James said.

A bit over 40 minutes later, we turned off the main road, and passed through a stone and high hedge entrance, with a gatehouse on the left. “That on the right are the old stables building, which were leased out to a neighbouring farm until recently,” Robert said as we passed the building about 500 metres in from the front gate.

About 300 metres further on Robert slowed down as we passed under a large rock archway, and stopped soon after. “Welcome to Crawford Priory,” Robert said, as we climbed out of the vehicle.

“Wow, this is just as big as Balcarres, you don’t do things small in the home country do you,” I said and Robert laughed at the comment of mine.

We spent nearly two hours looking around the Priory, with trees and shrubs already cut away, that were growing inside the building, and some of the bigger branches that are close to the buildings outside walls. Back in the vehicle, we took a different route, soon we entered the town of Cupar, and we parked just outside a small tavern.

I followed Robert inside, we took a seat at a table near the side of the tavern, where it is a little quieter, and a man at the bar soon approached. “Sorry kid, you are too young to be in here, you will… oh Lord Crawford, this is an unexpected honour, is the lad with you?” the barman said, when he realised who I was with.

“Yes, Master Crawford is with me, he is my second cousin from Australia, visiting for a couple of weeks,” Robert replied, “Very good sir, what may I get for you both today?” the barman responded.

“A menu for an early light lunch and two orange juices please,” Robert replied, and the barman raced off to get the menus and two glasses of juice.

“So, what do you think of the Priory?” Robert asked me, “I think it is awesome, what is the name of the river that I could see close by?” I replied, “That is the River Eden, and it is the western boundary of the property, while the minor road we entered from is the northern boundary and the A914 road is the Eastern boundary, and an access road is the southern boundary. Apart from the gate house that we passed, there is one other large house on the property,” Robert replied.

“Are you going to tell me what this important appointment that you have arranged for this afternoon” I asked, “No, you will just have to wait and see,” Robert replied smiling. Once back at Balcarres, I was asked to shower and get dressed into one of my new suits, and to be ready to leave by 12.30 pm, so we are not late for the appointment.

This time, Hunter drove us in the Bentley, as we headed south-west. “Are we going to Edinburgh?” I asked, “Yes, and maybe later we can have a look around Edinburgh Castle,” Robert replied. When we arrived in the City of Edinburgh, I was looking at all of the old buildings, which were all amazing.

“This building we are passing now is the old original Scottish Parliament building, and the next to it, is the new buildings,” Robert said to me, as we slowly passed them, before taking a turn, and we came up to some enormous gates, guarded by the police.

“Lord Lindsay, the Earl of Crawford and Master Crawford, here for the 2 pm appointment,” Robert said to the police officer who approached, “Yes my Lord, you are expected, please pass through,” the officer replied, after looking closer at Robert.

“Hey wait a minute, isn’t this the Scottish Royal Palace, I forget the name of it just now?” I asked, and Robert chuckled, “Holyrood Palace, and yes you are right, it is Her Majesties Scottish residence when she is here for a week during the summer,” Robert replied.

“What? You mean we are here to meet with the Queen?” I asked in shock, “That is right, we have a special appearance before her at 2 pm,” Robert replied casually. “I presume by your easy manner, that this is not your first time to meet her, or be inside the palace,” I asked, “Correct,” Robert replied, as the vehicle parked.

“Just do as I do, and you will get through this just nicely, and remember to breath, as we don’t want you fainting in front of her Majesty,” Robert said to me, and I groaned, “None of that either,” Robert said as we climbed out of the vehicle and headed to the front door.

A few minutes later, we were directed down a hallway towards a closed door, and I was getting extremely nervous. “Breath normally and try and relax,” Robert whispered to me, as we followed the Palace staff member, and as we arrived at the door, he knocked before opening the door, took a step and stopped before bowing his bead.

“Lord Lindsay, and Master Crawford to see you Ma’am” we heard him say before he stepped to one side and Robert entered with me following, and I nearly collided into the back of him as he stopped and bowed his head, and taking a half step to one side I did the same, without looking.

To nervous to look in front of me, I followed Robert as he started to walk and stopped again, this time I did not stop in time and I went into the back of him. “Oops, sorry cousin Robert,” I said softly, “You must forgive my cousin Ma’am, he is new too Britain and I sprung this surprise on him without explaining the reason,” Robert said.

I once again stepped to one side of him and for the first time I looked directly into the smiling face of her Majesty, and I bowed my head, too nervous to say anything. “A shy young man too by the looks of it,” the Queen said, and I heard Robert chuckle softly.

“That he is Ma’am, maybe you should explain to him the reason for our visit today,” Robert replied. “Yes, please sit Lord Lindsay and Master Crawford,” the Queen said to us, which we did once the Queen had taken her seat.

“Young man, your cousin here, has made an application with the Privy Council, who are my advisors, to have the title of Baronet bestowed on you. I will let your cousin explain that to you later. It is my honour to agree to this application for the Baronet of Wigan to be bestowed on Master Crawford,” the Queen stated as she stood and we did the same.

“My full name is Edwin James Lindsay Crawford, “Ma’am,” I said, and a few minutes later the ceremony was all over, and I was now officially a Baronet. I thanked her Majesty for taking the time to meet me, and wished her an enjoyable and restful summer holiday.

“That is very kind of you, thankyou for that,” the Queen said, as James and then I took some steps back before bowing, and a few more steps back, till we were nearly at the door, and we exited the room. As we were guided back to the front door, I remained silent, still shocked at what had just happened.

“So how do you feel, Sir Edwin, Baronet of Wigan?” Robert asked me as we stepped outside, “What? Wait, did you say Sir Edwin?” I asked, “That is right, you are one rank above a Knight, and one rank below a Baron, so that is now your official title, which you don’t have to use if you don’t want too,” Robert replied.

“Crikey’s, I only came to have a look at where you live and work, and now I end up being a Baronet!” I stated, and Robert laughed, “You have always had aristocracy blood in you Cousin, now you have a title as well, even thou it is just a small one,” Robert said to me, as we walked towards the car, where hunter opened the doors for us.

“Congratulations Sir Edwin,” Hunter said to me smiling, “Oh boy, this is going to take some getting used too, and Hunter, please just call me Edwin or Master Crawford, I don’t know if I want to use that title just yet,” I replied, and Hunter smiled and nodded his head.

After a tour of Edinburgh Castle, we headed south of the city instead of heading northwards. “Where are we going now?” I asked, “One other place that has family links, the town of Crawford, and the old ruins of Crawford Castle, about an hour’s drive from Edinburgh and still inside Scotland,” Robert replied.

“Wow, our family certainly had a lot of land and buildings,” I commented, “Yes, indeed they did, and I have purchased seventy eight acres of land that includes the old ruins, as well as a farm house, and a cottage, which have both been empty for a few decades, that I want to restore,” Robert informed me.

“Like you are doing with the Priory?” I asked, “Yes, and as a gift to you, with your new status, you now own that small Crawford Farm, as well as Crawford Priory,” Robert announced to me. “What? Really,” What am I going to do with all of this land and buildings when I live on the other side of the world,” I asked, “Come and visit a few times a year, that way I can get to see more of my Australian cousin,” Robert replied smiling.

We arrived back at Balcarres House just before dark, and I was tired from a very long day, and after a light dinner, I retired to my room for the night, had a quick shower and I was soon fast asleep in bed.

Copyright Preston Wigglesworth All Rights Reserved July 2020
  • Like 32
  • Love 19
  • Haha 2
  • Wow 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

This makes me want to return to Scotland. I was there briefly, on business, but with all of this history, I should have planned my vacation there. Thanks for a great chapter.

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment

Great chapter. Edwin is surprised by his cousin with a  visit to the Queen where he becomes Baronet of Wigan. He is getting a gift off his uncle of Crawford Farm.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Why Wigan an English baroncy (if it were to exist) for a historic Scottish  tittled family they must surely hold some minor title not currently used that could have been upgraded!? Technical & pedantic but your stories being so intertwined  between the real & fiction it's hard not to ask !?

Omg I had to laugh I lived 2 miles outside Cupar for 12 yrs n went to school there & I played on the banks of the river Eden & learned to canoe on the section between Springfield  & Cupar  & where actually lived was called Stratheden lol !?

Spoiler alert  there are 18 pubs in & around the town for a population of about 12000 lol  I can think of one called Xxxx tavern but most I'd call sxxt holes lol

Not often  you read a story that you know the location of quite so well but the fictional side throws you off course when you try & work out a location for an estate that doesn't exist!! Lol

Thank you my friend I'm having fun with this one!!  keep it coming!!

Ian

P.S.: better pubs & bars in St Andrews (just watch out for low flying golfers!!), a tiny uni town but students have money to burn so a better class of pubs/bars & so much easier to get served when under age!! Not that I ever did that with friends back in the day!?!  preserve the thought Roflol!!

Edited by Freemantleman
  • Like 4
Link to comment
quokka

Posted (edited)

6 hours ago, Freemantleman said:

Why Wigan an English baroncy (if it were to exist) for a historic Scottish  tittled family they must surely hold some minor title not currently used that could have been upgraded!? Technical & pedantic but your stories being so intertwined  between the real & fiction it's hard not to ask !?

Omg I had to laugh I lived 2 miles outside Cupar for 12 yrs n went to school there & I played on the banks of the river Eden & learned to canoe on the section between Springfield  & Cupar  & where actually lived was called Stratheden lol !?

Spoiler alert  there are 18 pubs in & around the town for a population of about 12000 lol  I can think of one called Xxxx tavern but most I'd call sxxt holes lol

Not often  you read a story that you know the location of quite so well but the fictional side throws you off course when you try & work out a location for an estate that doesn't exist!! Lol

Thank you my friend I'm having fun with this one!!  keep it coming!!

Ian

P.S.: better pubs & bars in St Andrews (just watch out for low flying golfers!!), a tiny uni town but students have money to burn so a better class of pubs/bars & so much easier to get served when under age!! Not that I ever did that with friends back in the day!?!  preserve the thought Roflol!!

Sorry to spoil your fun, but the locations are indeed real, and the Baron of Wigan is a real title held by the current Earl of Crawford, who is also the Earl of Balcarres, his other title the Baron Balneil, usual is passed on to the heir apparent, but in this story that hasn’t happened... yet.

Q

Edited by quokka
  • Like 4
Link to comment
1 hour ago, quokka said:

Sorry to spoil your fun, but the locations are indeed real, and the Baron of Wigan is a real title held by the current Earl of Crawford, who is also the Earl of Balcarres, his other title the Baron Balneil, usual is passed on to the heir apparent, but in this story that hasn’t happened... yet.

Q

So there we go Wigan is another title belonging to the family !! Wigan is near Manchester in England my head is hurting trying to  tie up the connections!?!?

I know the locations are real I lived there. 

Time to sit back relax n await another brilliant chapter!!

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Got it at last!! always slow on the uptake!!

not only real locations but real people estates & titles in a purely fictional story!! Sorry for the confusion.

Fyi locally known as "Crawford House" or just "the big house". my sister in law grew up in Upper Largo

I grew up about 12 miles north of the estate but left 32 years ago.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

I am enjoying this immensely. I have the vicarious thrill of being descended, on my mother's side, from Edward III of England. but the bigger thrill, was knowing that my 19th great-grandfather was John of Gaunt, Geoffrey Chaucer's patron.

If something like this happened to me, I would need a change of clothes immediately.

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment

Edwin got more than he even expected from his 2nd cousin, especially since he has just learned of his relationship to the Earl of Crawford. He came to Scotland to learn more about his cousin and his work as the 29th Earl and now he’s received the title of Baronet of Wigan by the Queen herself which was a shock in itself as he definitely wasn’t expecting to meet the Queen of England either. I think this trip is becoming more than a young man of sixteen ever expected to have happen in his lifetime and to think that all of this started because of a an assignment by his history teacher to write a 3500 word paper on one side of his family. I’m glad that I decided to go back and reread the story.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Oh, a title and a small amount of land; but I can promise there will be taxes and other things so I hope there is some type of income along with it.  LOL>

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..