Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Line of Sight - 11. Chapter 11

Prompt #323: “Can I talk to you?”

“Can I talk to you?”

“Sure.” I stepped back and let Tony in before crouching down so I was eye level with Jake. “Why don’t you go play in your room while I talk to Mr. Tony?”

“Okay, Daddy!”

I watched as Jake ran down the hall and turned back to Tony. He’d already taken off his coat and set it aside. It had only been a couple days since we’d taken our relationship to the next level, and I’d seen him when I’d dropped Jake off and picked him up, but I’d missed him.

“Everything okay?” I stepped close and pressed a quick kiss to his lips. Tony returned the kiss briefly before pulling back.

“Yeah, things are good.” Tony smiled and walked over to flop down on the couch. I followed and sat next to him. “I figured I should let you know the cat’s out of the bag.”

“We didn’t figure it would take long.” I glanced down the hall before looking back at Tony. “We didn’t tell him he couldn’t say anything about you being here.”

“No, we didn’t.”

“So what exactly happened?” I hoped Tony didn’t regret anything, but I couldn’t really blame him if he did. For all I knew, he could have come to break things off.

“Jake told one of his classmates about me coming over for ice cream.” Tony chuckled. “That probably wouldn’t have raised any questions if he hadn’t added how I make the bestest pancakes. His classmate asked his dad if I could come over and make him pancakes too and his dad called the school.”

“So, how much trouble are you in?”

“I’m not.” Tony laid down, his head resting in my lap. He looked up at me and smiled. “The principal talked to me after school today. It probably helped that I didn’t try to hide anything when I was hired, but as long as I don’t do any PDA’s at work, there’s no issue.”

“Damn, you mean we can’t make out in your classroom between sessions?” Not that I would have, but Tony was still smiling so I felt comfortable joking with him.

“Nope, sorry. You’ll just have to wait until I get off work.” Tony frowned. “There was some discussion about whether it was appropriate for Jake to remain in my class considering my relationship with you.”

“He’ll be devastated.” My son loved Tony’s class. With all the other changes he’d had to face recently, I hated the thought of him having one more upheaval in his life.

“That’s what I thought too.” Tony closed his eyes briefly and when he looked at me again, there was a wariness that hadn’t been there before. “I know it wasn’t my place, and the principal would have called you before anything was done, but I explained some of what he’s gone through recently.”

“You’re a part of this and I know you were only trying to do what was best for Jake.” I leaned down and pressed a brief kiss to Tony’s lips before lifting my head again. I had to know if a decision had been made. “What did they decide?”

“They agreed it would be detrimental to Jake to remove him from my class.” Tony smiled. “I’ll just have to make damn sure I don’t do anything that gives them a reason to put him in a different class.”

“I don’t see how you could, unless you were basically ignoring the other kids.” I tugged at his hair. “If they’re worried about that then they don’t know you very well.”

“True.” Tony sat up and relaxed into the back of the couch. He turned his head and looked at me. “Now that I’ve filled you in on my day, let’s talk about something else. What are your and Jake’s plans for tonight?”

“We haven’t really made any yet.” I looked down as Murray pawed at my leg. “Right now, it looks like I’m going to go freeze my ass off and let the dog out.” I’d already learned I couldn’t trust Murray to do what he was supposed to when I let him out. At least, not if he was going to be loose in the house once he came back in. I had to actually go out with him.

“The joys of having a dog.”

“Yeah, that part sucks, but Jake loves the mutt.” I slipped my feet into my shoes and grabbed my jacket. Hopefully Murray wouldn’t take too long. When Tony went to grab his coat as well I stopped him. “You stay in here where it’s warm. Hopefully I’ll only be a couple minutes.”

“Can I come out now, Daddy?” Jake’s head peeked out his door down the hall.

“Yes, but come put some food in Murray’s bowl while I take him out.” I didn’t wait for Jake to answer me. The poor dog had already waited for me long enough. I hurried to the door and opened it, zipping up my jacket before following Murray into the backyard. Normally I got a kick out of Murray plowing through the snow, but at the moment I just wanted to go back in where it was warm. I shoved my hands in my pockets and shifted from foot to foot. “C’mon Murray, do your business so we can go in where it’s warm.”

Damn dog just looked at me before running through another snow drift. Finally, after it felt like my face was frozen, Murray stopped long enough to do what I’d brought him outside for. That was enough for me and I hurried back inside, calling him to me just as I opened the door to the sound of squealing coming from the living room.

I had no doubt Jake was happy kid for the most part, but it had been a while since I’d heard him sound quite that happy. I headed for the living room and froze in the doorway at the scene playing out in front of me. Tony was tickling Jake mercilessly. Even as I watched, Tony let Jake up and my son seemed to gather himself together before launching himself at Tony, apparently trying to tickle him back. It was cute. There was no other word for it and my heart melted just a little more as Tony fell backwards under Jake’s assault and let Jake do his worst.

I'm definitely planning on one more chapter of "Line of Sight". I do plan to do another story with these characters, but this chapter especially shows the limitations I face with doing a story where I base EVERY chapter on a first line prompt. I had hoped to do a chapter of Brad & Tony's night together, however, after going through all the first line prompts multiple times, there were none that I felt would work so I had to move the story forward. When I do the next story with these characters, I will be doing a similar type story (using prompts) but I will use a type of prompt that is not as limiting (such as word lists). There will be one more chapter to wrap up this part of the story and then I'll start considering how I want to take it for the next part.
Copyright © 2014 Renee Stevens; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 26
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I know how you feel, since I'm doing a first line prompt story too. But why don't you just do some in-between chapters without prompts, that's what I plan to do, if nothing is suitable. Or isn't that allowed? I would have loved to read the missing chapter. :P

Anyway, I'm glad to see they are getting together and the problems are getting solved.

Link to comment
On 11/15/2014 08:40 PM, Timothy M. said:
I know how you feel, since I'm doing a first line prompt story too. But why don't you just do some in-between chapters without prompts, that's what I plan to do, if nothing is suitable. Or isn't that allowed? I would have loved to read the missing chapter. :P

Anyway, I'm glad to see they are getting together and the problems are getting solved.

Glad you enjoyed the chapter Timothy. As to what is allowed, it's entirely up to the author. When I started "Line of Sight" I decided that I would not deviate from each chapter starting with a first line prompt. When I could no longer find suitable first line prompts for each chapter, the story would hopefully be at a place where it was feasible to bring it to an end. Luckily, Line of Sight hit such a spot where it's feasible to end this part of their story. I do have some ideas for what can happen for them next, so this won't be the last we see of Tony, Brad, Jake, Paul, and Jamie. Thanks for the review!
Link to comment

I´m glad to hear this won´t be the end for Jake, Brad and Tony, and Murray. This is such a sweet story...and I have one more chapter to read :)

Link to comment

I don't know how I missed this chapter.

 

Tony was so cute with Jake. I think that's just the best: seeing the person you love playing with either your kids or your pets. :)

Link to comment
On 12/02/2014 03:30 AM, Suvitar said:
I´m glad to hear this won´t be the end for Jake, Brad and Tony, and Murray. This is such a sweet story...and I have one more chapter to read :)
Thank you Suvitar. I had a hard time deciding to end the story, but there had to be a time and it just wasn't working to keep going with the first line prompts. When I do decide to do their next story, I'll choose something that is a little more easy to work with and allows a little more leeway. We'll see what way I go :)
Link to comment
On 12/03/2014 04:15 AM, Lisa said:
I don't know how I missed this chapter.

 

Tony was so cute with Jake. I think that's just the best: seeing the person you love playing with either your kids or your pets. :)

I don't know either! I'm glad you enjoyed this chapter and I agree that was the highlight of this chapter.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..