Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Line of Sight - 10. Chapter 10

Prompt #360: ““Why do I even bother?””

“Why do I even bother?” I shook my head as I pulled the covers over Jake. He was dressed in his pajamas when I’d sent him to bed a half hour before, but when I’d gone to check on him, he’d stripped out of everything except his underwear. At least he’d been in bed like I’d asked.

“Everything okay?”

I looked over at Tony leaning in the doorway and smiled even as it sent a pang of remembering through me. I couldn’t count the number of times Dave had done the same thing. I’d never expected him to just walk out on us like he did. I stroked my hand over Jake’s head and stood. I hoped he wouldn’t have to watch someone else walk away. He was resilient, but I didn’t think him or I could take it.

“Yeah.” I bent and pressed a kiss to my son’s hair before leaving the room, pulling the door partway closed behind me. “He’s tuckered out.”

“How about you? You doing okay?” Tony reached out and wrapped an arm around me, pulling me against him. “You seem a bit”—he paused as though searching for the word—“distracted isn’t the word I’m looking for, contemplative, maybe.”

“I’m good.” I smiled at him. I didn’t want to lump him in the same category as Dave, and so far he hadn’t done anything to deserve it. I brushed a kiss across his lips. “Why don’t we go pick a movie we want to watch, unless you need to go?”

“Nope, I have nowhere else to be.” Tony grinned and I led the way back to the living room. He sat on the couch as I thumbed through my collection of movies, but nothing really jumped out at me. “I think tonight went pretty well.”

I nodded.

“Yeah, you definitely won points when you brought his favorite ice cream.” I gave up on the movie and walked over to join him on the couch. “Have you thought about how you’re going to handle it at school when Jake says something about his teacher being at his house? He’s six; he’s going to say something.” It wasn’t like I could tell him not to, it wasn’t fair to even try and ask him to keep something like that a secret.

“I’m not worried. It would be different if I was a high school teacher and I was dating a student, but as far as I know, there’s no rule against dating parents.” Tony shrugged. “I’ll deal with it if and when it happens, but I’m not going to lose my job or anything because I’m seeing you.” Tony reached over and tugged me over until I was nearly on his lap. “You worry too much.”

“Maybe.”

“There’s no maybe about it.”

“Yeah, yeah.” I moved to kneel over him, lowering my head to press my lips against his. Tony grabbed me, his hands gripping my hips, encouraging me to straddle his lap. I hesitated for just a second before following his lead. Jake was asleep and would likely remain so for at least a few hours. I braced my hands on the back of the couch as Tony deepened the kiss, his lips parting beneath mine. His tongue slipped out and stroked against mine. I groaned and tried to press closer, but I knew the only way I’d manage was for us to be skin to skin.

Tony pulled me down harder against his lap and I could feel his arousal pressing against me. I pulled back and glanced at the man underneath me. Did it make me a horrible father that I was seriously considering taking him to my bedroom and locking the door? Jake was home but if he needed me, he’d knock on the door. The biggest thing keeping me from taking the next step with Tony was hiding our relationship. That was no longer an issue.

“You’re thinking too hard again.” Tony turned his head and glanced down the hall before looking at me again. “You want me to head home in case he wakes up?”

I shook my head and shifted on his lap.

“Actually, I was debating on whether or not we should move this to the bedroom, just in case.”

“And, what did you decide?”

“That my door has a lock and he can knock if he needs me.” I kissed him again, briefly before sliding off his lap. “Why don’t I meet you there, unfortunately I have to let Murray out first.”

Tony stood and grabbed me, pulling me close, not that I resisted. “Don’t take too long.”

“I won’t.”

He released me and headed down the hall as I headed to the back door.

“C’mon Murray.” The pup lifted his head, pushed to his feet, and followed me to the back door. I let him out and waited impatiently for him to do his business. Finally, after we were both froze, he came back in and I put him in his kennel. Luckily I’d kennel trained him from the start and he didn’t make a fuss, just pushed his blanket around before flopping down and closing his eyes. The dog taken care of, I shut off the lights, made sure the doors were locked, and headed for my bedroom.

I didn’t want to make Tony wait too long, he’d already had to wait for me to get comfortable enough to quit hiding our relationship from Jake. I pushed my door open and reached up to make sure I wasn’t drooling. Tony had already made himself comfortable. He’d stripped off his shirt and was waiting for me, leaning up against the headboard.

I stepped inside and closed the door. The sound of me turning the lock seemed loud in the otherwise quiet room.

Thanks for reading! I hope you enjoyed this latest chapter of "Line of Sight". I'm thinking it should only take a couple more chapters to finish the story up, but I'd love to know what you think so far.
Copyright © 2014 Renee Stevens; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 31
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Great chapter, Renee! Usual thing though--I get involved with the characters and the story is going to end soon. I think there's a lot to go for this trio, and would love to see it continue into summer!

 

Awaiting the next part eagerly!

Link to comment

I just found this story this morning!! How I missed it, I have no clue :huh:!! I love this story. The characters are well developed and it's so sweet. Two more chapters won't be enough. Really, at least 5...please?????

Link to comment

Hi there..... Just read through all the chapters and I'm being lazy and leaving the review here instead of one for each installment ...

 

My honesty seems to get me in trouble but I want honesty from others about my work so I'll do the same.

 

The story line is interesting but the characterization is not really my cup of tea. I can't relate to the men, or even associate them with anyone I know. They sound and act like two women, the lack of testosterone keeps them from brain believable to me. As I said, the plot is good but would have never held my interest for more than a couple of chapters, what kept me reading was the craftsmanship. Definitely impressed with your style and how you handle the mechanics of dialogue. I'm jealous :P

Link to comment

I'm glad Tony isn't pressuring Brad to do more than what he's comfortable with. I just hope Jake doesn't knock on the door, or have a nightmare or anything, thereby interrupting them. And if Jake asks if Tony is in his dad's room, what will Brad say?

 

Oh the perils of dating with a young child in the house. lol

Link to comment
On 11/02/2014 10:33 PM, ColumbusGuy said:
Great chapter, Renee! Usual thing though--I get involved with the characters and the story is going to end soon. I think there's a lot to go for this trio, and would love to see it continue into summer!

 

Awaiting the next part eagerly!

Thanks for the review ColumbusGuy! There will be another chapter soon. As for the story ending soon, it is sometimes rather difficult to find a first line prompt that I can work into the story. That in part is why it will be ending in the next few chapters.

 

I'm not saying that this is the end for these characters though. It may not be right away, but I'm considering doing a second story with them either using a different type of prompt (such as the word lists) or something else. Whatever I decide to do, it will most likely be done in flash chapters similar to how this one was done, which will hopefully allow me to update once or twice a week.

Link to comment
On 11/03/2014 12:59 AM, LadyDe said:
I just found this story this morning!! How I missed it, I have no clue :huh:!! I love this story. The characters are well developed and it's so sweet. Two more chapters won't be enough. Really, at least 5...please?????
Thanks for the review LadyDe! I'm glad you're enjoying the story and I definitely can understand not wanting it to end. Unfortunately, working with ONLY first line prompts is rather difficult as not all of them work with the story and those that do, may not work with the chapter I'm currently on. It is a challenge, and while it has been a challenge I enjoy, I find myself struggling to make first line prompts work.

 

Most likely, this will not be the end for these characters. I'm not sure when, but I am considering a second story with them so chances are that even when this story ends, this won't be the last you see of Jake, Brad, Tony, Jamie, & Paul.

Link to comment
On 11/03/2014 02:37 AM, Carlos Hazday said:
Hi there..... Just read through all the chapters and I'm being lazy and leaving the review here instead of one for each installment ...

 

My honesty seems to get me in trouble but I want honesty from others about my work so I'll do the same.

 

The story line is interesting but the characterization is not really my cup of tea. I can't relate to the men, or even associate them with anyone I know. They sound and act like two women, the lack of testosterone keeps them from brain believable to me. As I said, the plot is good but would have never held my interest for more than a couple of chapters, what kept me reading was the craftsmanship. Definitely impressed with your style and how you handle the mechanics of dialogue. I'm jealous :P

Thank you for the review Carlos! I prefer my readers to be honest with me. If there's a part of the story you have a hard time with, I like to know why, providing it's done constructively, which you've done. I can certainly understand where you are coming from regarding the characterization. I have many stories where the guys are a lot more "macho" for lack of a better word, but that honestly did not seem to fit this story since much of "Line of Sight" revolves around Jake. In the majority of chapters, Jake plays a major part. The other aspect (and partly the same I suppose), which I take into consideration is that Brad is primarily around Jake, so even when he's around just Tony, it's hard to just shut the mindset off of how he acts around his son. The same goes for Tony being around kids all day in his profession. Neither of them spend a whole lot of time with adults, their primary interactions are with kids which requires a different touch. (I hope that all makes sense). With all of that being said, the fact that despite your issues with the characterization I've managed to keep you reading is a major compliment, so thank you. Not just for the compliment but for your honesty regarding what doesn't work for you :).
Link to comment
On 11/03/2014 08:37 AM, Lisa said:
I'm glad Tony isn't pressuring Brad to do more than what he's comfortable with. I just hope Jake doesn't knock on the door, or have a nightmare or anything, thereby interrupting them. And if Jake asks if Tony is in his dad's room, what will Brad say?

 

Oh the perils of dating with a young child in the house. lol

Oh c'mon, would I do that? Okay, yeah, I probably would. Though I had considered having Jake interrupt BEFORE they moved it to the bedroom, so see, I was actually a nice author. As to what's going to happen next... Well, you'll just have to wait and see! Thanks for the review, Lisa!
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..