Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Line of Sight - 5. Chapter 5

Prompt #213: (First Line) "You want me to do what?"

“You want me to do what?”

Jamie couldn’t be serious. Doing what she wanted me to do could complicate everything even more than it already was.

“You heard me. It’s not like he’s a stranger you’re going to jump in the sack with, right? You know him, and want to know him better. What’s wrong with going to dinner?”

Out of everyone I would expect to say something like that, my ex-wife wasn’t one of them. Yeah, she knew I was gay and was fine with the fact, but talking to her about my sex life—or lack thereof—wasn’t something I was very comfortable with.

“C’mon Jamie, he’s Jake’s teacher. Don’t you think that would just be a little awkward, and even perhaps a little wrong?” It didn’t help that I’d wanted to say yes when Tony had asked me out, but I had to think of Jake first.

“Honestly, I really don’t think he’s even going to care. If he was a teenager it would be a little different, but as long as you’re careful and don’t flaunt it, I don’t see what it would hurt.” Jamie set her soda on the table and leaned forward. “Can you honestly tell me that you aren’t interested?”

“No, and I’m not trying to.” I couldn’t just sit there any longer and stood. I walked across the kitchen to the sink and stared out the window above it as I thought about what Jamie had said. She’d been telling me since shortly after our divorce that she just wanted to see me happy. Apparently she had decided that Tony might just be the one who could make that happen. I turned and leaned back against the sink as I faced Jamie. “And what if it doesn’t work out? What if we go on a few dates and decide to call it quits?”

“Why are you so determined to focus on the negative?” Jamie shook her head. “I don’t remember you being this pessimistic before.”

“I can’t help but think, if it doesn’t work out, all of us are in an awkward position. What about Jake? If things didn’t work out, would Tony treat Jake different?” I sighed. “I can deal with seeing him every time I go pick up Jake from school. I can even handle seeing him at class functions. What I can’t handle is if it doesn’t work out and my son suffers because of me.” I was so tempted, more tempted than I could ever remember being in my life, but there were so many things that could go wrong, and I couldn’t risk it affecting Jake. Jake had been affected enough by my decisions. First the divorce from Jamie and then when Dave walked out on us.

“Don’t use our son as an excuse.” There was a thread of steel in her voice. “If you’re scared, say you’re scared, but don’t use our son.”

“I’m not using him as an excuse.” I wasn’t, was I? I thought it was a completely valid worry.

“I’m not saying you shouldn’t be cautious, but you’re not doing yourself, or Jake, any favors by locking yourself away. If you’re interested in him, and obviously the attraction is mutual, so you should go for it. If you’re really worried, don’t have him over when Jake is home. If you want to get together with Tony and I’m out of town, call Paul. You know he loves having Jake.”

“I don’t know.”

“Yes you do, you just don’t want to admit it.” Jamie glanced at the living room where Jake was playing with Murray and watching a movie. “I don’t think Jake is the only thing holding you back. What’s really going on, Brad?”

I walked over and sank down on one of the kitchen chairs with a sigh, my hands twisting together on the table. Ultimately, I knew she was both right and wrong. I was scared, to a point. Did I want to give it a chance, see if there could be something between us? Yes, I did. Was I concerned about how it would affect Jake? Damn straight I was. I looked up at her and she must have seen something in my eyes. She reached over the table, took my hands in hers, and squeezed.

“What is it?”

“I brought Dave into our lives. I let him become a part of Jake’s life, and he walked out. It was hard on me, but it was even harder on Jake. Especially after ….” I couldn’t say it and I probably didn’t need to.

“Especially after I took the promotion and have been gone so much.” Jamie leaned back in her chair and gave a little shrug of her shoulders. “I ask myself every day if I made the right choice to take it.”

“Jamie, I didn’t mean ….”

“It’s okay, I know.” Jamie stood and grabbed her purse off the table. She slung the strap over her shoulder and took a couple steps towards the living room. She stopped in the doorway and turned to face me. “I made my decision, and I have to live with it. Call him, you’ll regret it if you don’t.”

Without another word to me, she walked away. I could hear her talking to Jake and a few seconds later the door slammed shut. I stood and walked to the living room only to smile as I saw Jake rolling around on the floor with Murray. I was so glad I’d agreed to get the puppy for Jake. He was completely back to being the kid he’d been before Dave walked out on us. I glanced over at the phone sitting on the counter.

Taunting me.

I closed my eyes for a moment hoping when I opened them again it would be gone and could no longer tempt me. I opened them and it was still sitting there. Still taunting me. I was quickly getting tired of fighting it. My fingers itched to pick up the phone and dial. I sighed and checked on Jake one more time before grabbing the phone and going down the hall to my bedroom.

Thanks for reading! I would love to hear from my readers, so leave me a review and let me know what you liked, what you didn't like, and any other thoughts you might have. Also, a short note: I won't be around much for the next week, while I will try to write next Saturday's before I go on vacation, I may miss a week. If so, don't worry, Line of Sight will be back on June 1st!
Copyright © 2014 Renee Stevens; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 37
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I agree with Jamie that it would not be a big issue because of Brad and Tony's age, but I also think Brad is running scared. He felt the loss of his boyfriend and so did Jake. But, kids are resilent and I think he is seeing that with Murray and Jake. You are doing a wonderful job with these prompts. I love this story! :great:

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I can see where Brad is coming from he is just getting over a bad relationship that hurt him as well as his son. Now he so badly wants to get to know his new man but what if it doesn't work it won't just be him getting her hurt. It's his sons teacher, what will happen to his son. All good questions but look at it this way Brad hurt both father and son, he left its over now it's time to continue on with their life. Jaime is correct there are ways to minimize a bad outcome but which is worse not feeling anything and hiding out just in case something might happen that will hurt or grabbing cautiously with both hands and finding out there is life after Brad. I say go for it it won't be easy and there will be ups and downs but I think the outcome will make three people exceptionally happy.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I can see both their points. But Tony won't be Jake's teacher forever. I think Brad should give it a shot. I'm glad he's going to call him. And I know Tony will be pleasantly surprised. :) And I agree with Jamie; I don't think Jake will care at all if his dad is seeing his teacher. He may actually like that and feel sort of special.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 05/18/2013 10:39 PM, joann414 said:
I agree with Jamie that it would not be a big issue because of Brad and Tony's age, but I also think Brad is running scared. He felt the loss of his boyfriend and so did Jake. But, kids are resilent and I think he is seeing that with Murray and Jake. You are doing a wonderful job with these prompts. I love this story! :great:
Thank you JoAnn! I like Jamie a lot, she is level headed and basically the voice of reason. Kids are very resilient, I have seen that quite a bit with some of my family members. I'm so glad that you are enjoying the story and it's great to know I'm not doing too shabby by using the first line prompts for all the chapters!
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 05/19/2013 04:22 AM, Daithi said:
I can see where Brad is coming from he is just getting over a bad relationship that hurt him as well as his son. Now he so badly wants to get to know his new man but what if it doesn't work it won't just be him getting her hurt. It's his sons teacher, what will happen to his son. All good questions but look at it this way Brad hurt both father and son, he left its over now it's time to continue on with their life. Jaime is correct there are ways to minimize a bad outcome but which is worse not feeling anything and hiding out just in case something might happen that will hurt or grabbing cautiously with both hands and finding out there is life after Brad. I say go for it it won't be easy and there will be ups and downs but I think the outcome will make three people exceptionally happy.
Thanks for the review Daithi! I think it's a case of there are always going to be "what if's" but one never knows what will happen until they take the chance. I am really enjoying writing this story and to be honest I kinda liked the part where he said no and is now second guessing. I didn't want him to just jump in feet first without thinking things through.
Link to comment
On 05/20/2013 04:44 AM, Lisa said:
I can see both their points. But Tony won't be Jake's teacher forever. I think Brad should give it a shot. I'm glad he's going to call him. And I know Tony will be pleasantly surprised. :) And I agree with Jamie; I don't think Jake will care at all if his dad is seeing his teacher. He may actually like that and feel sort of special.
Thanks Lisa! No, he won't be and really, what difference is a few months going to make. I mean, the story would still be the same later on down the road. "How did you two meet?" "He was my son's kidergarten teacher."
Link to comment

I´m sorry about the empty review on the previous chapter, I hit the wrong key :facepalm:

 

I think Jamie´s right, Brad should phone Tony and meet him, otherwise he´ll never know whether Tony is right for him.

Link to comment
On 12/02/2014 01:54 AM, Suvitar said:
I´m sorry about the empty review on the previous chapter, I hit the wrong key :facepalm:

 

I think Jamie´s right, Brad should phone Tony and meet him, otherwise he´ll never know whether Tony is right for him.

No worries Suvitar, it happens to all of us at one time or another! I'm glad you're enjoying the story and yep, you're probably right :)
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..