Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Line of Sight - 9. Chapter 9

Prompt #344: “Why didn’t you just tell me that?”

“Why didn’t you just tell me that?”

I shook my head even though Jamie couldn’t see me. She’d decided to call me after she got home to give me some more of her thoughts on telling Jake about me and Tony. I’d finally managed to interrupt and tell her Tony was on his way over.

“When did you give me a chance?”

“I’ll let you go, but you’ve got to call me tomorrow and tell me how it goes!” Trust her to ignore my question.

“Yeah, yeah. Good night.” I hung up and headed down the hall to get Jake out of the tub and into his pajamas. I was actually surprised to find the bathroom empty, except for the towel dropped on the floor and the water in the tub. I drained the water, hung up the towel, and headed to his bedroom. My son was sitting on his floor playing with his cars, his hair still dripping and soaking the collar of his pajama shirt. “C’mon buddy, let’s take a towel to your hair.”

He groaned but stood and followed me back to the bathroom. I handed him his towel and watched as he scrubbed it over his hair. I bit back a chuckle when he stopped, his hair sticking up everywhere, and handed him his comb just as the doorbell rang.

“I’ll get it!” Jake’s comb dropped from his fingers, forgotten, and he tried to dart past me but I grabbed him.

“You know the rules; you don’t answer the door by yourself.” I released him and headed for the door. Jake stayed close and once we got to the door he looked up at me. I was still nervous about his reaction but nodded. “Go ahead.”

He opened the door and stared.

“Hey, Jake.” Tony smiled down at my son who turned to look at me.

“Daddy! It’s Mr. Tony!”

“Yes is it. Aren’t you going to invite him in?” I pointed to the bag in Tony’s hand. “I think he brought ice cream.”

“Playdough!” Jake reached out and grabbed Tony’s free hand and pulled him into the house. “Can I have some now?”

I shuddered just thinking about the nasty flavored ice cream. I’d let Jake talk me into trying it once and it was more than enough. I closed the door and followed behind as Jake, not waiting for an answer, pulled Tony towards the kitchen, eager for his treat.

“Jake? Why don’t you get spoons and the ice cream scoop for me?” I slid past Tony and grabbed bowls out of the cupboard. While Jake was busy I turned to Tony. “Thanks for picking up the ice cream. I’d forgotten we were out.”

“It wasn’t a problem.” Tony motioned with his head towards Jake. “I was surprised you called.”

I sighed and met his eyes. “He’s going to know eventually, might as well be now.”

“Know what, Daddy?” Jake dropped the spoons and the scooper on the counter and looked up at me.

Shit. I’d tried to keep my voice low, but it always seemed like kids heard what they weren’t supposed to. I looked down at my son and tried to smile despite my pounding heart. Now I just needed to know how much to tell him.

“That Tony will be spending time with us, is that okay with you?” I opened the ice cream and started scooping some into a bowl for Jake.

Jake nodded.

“Mommy said Mr. Tony is your boyfriend.”

I dropped the scoop at stared at Jake. I couldn’t believe Jamie had said something to our son. I looked over at Tony and he seemed as surprised as I did. I tried to keep my cool as I picked up the scoop and started on the ice cream again.

“When did your mom tell you that?” Tony sounded a lot calmer than I felt.

“Not me! She told Paul!”

I groaned. Knowing Jaime, I wasn’t sure I wanted to ask what Jake had overheard. I knew one thing, Jamie and I were definitely going to have to watch what we said within hearing distance of Jake. He heard everything. Unfortunately, I refused to lie to him and I couldn’t be sure exactly what I should say until I knew what he’d heard.

“What did she tell Paul?”

“She said Tony was a much better boyfriend than Dave.” Jake grinned and looked up at Tony. “Are you going to take me to school like Dave used to?”

“Okay, that’s enough questions for now.” I handed Jake his ice cream and a spoon. “Go into the living room and pick out a movie.”

“Any movie I want?”

“Any movie.” I was ready to agree to anything if it would stop the questioning. I watched him go and sank against the counter. “I don’t even have words.”

“It could have been worse.” Tony glance at where Jake had disappeared into the living room before stepping close.

He lowered his head and brushed his lips lightly against mine. I wanted to deepen the kiss. Only my son in the other room kept me from wrapping my arms around Tony and encouraging him to take it further.

“Daddy! I found one.”

I pulled back at the sound of Jake’s voice and hoped Tony understood. His smile assured me he did and I turned back to the ice cream. I finished scooping ours, some peanut butter and chocolate kind, into bowls and put the ice cream away. I turned and watched Tony already headed into the living room, both of our bowls in his hands.

I followed behind. We’d watch a movie with Jake, during which he’d likely fall asleep. Then, after I got him settled into bed, I could have a little adult time with Tony. I grinned and settled on the couch between my son and my boyfriend.

Copyright © 2014 Renee Stevens; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 29
  • Love 1
  • Haha 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I'm happy to see this story again, and have missed these characters that I've

become attached to. I also learned that Playdough ice cream actually exists.

I didn't even know until today that Playdough is actually edible. I suppose that

my mother didn't ever let us have it around for fear we'd get it on everything.

My friends would have it though at their houses so I did know what it was.

I never thought seriously about eating it. It sounds nasty tasting! Now that I'm

so enlightened I'm going to ask my friends' kids if they've eaten it, and then find

out if they like it...YUCK!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

I read the entire story in one go and am enthralled. :) I'm so glad you continued it and I look forward to the next chapter. Oh, and Playdough ice cream sounds just nasty! *shudder*

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I just discovered this story today, and I've enjoyed it a lot--just wish the chapters were longer. :) You captured Jake's essence perfectly! Can't wait for the next chapter!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Jamie really needs to be more careful when discussing Jake's father when Jake is around. Well at least she wasn't talking directly to her son about it. That would have been way out of line and not like Jamie at all.

 

Jake is very resilient and seems to take this news about his teacher being his dad's b/f rather well. :) Of course he probably doesn't care right this second as long as he can dig into that horrendous playdough ice cream! lol

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 10/17/2014 10:50 AM, Stephen said:
I'm happy to see this story again, and have missed these characters that I've

become attached to. I also learned that Playdough ice cream actually exists.

I didn't even know until today that Playdough is actually edible. I suppose that

my mother didn't ever let us have it around for fear we'd get it on everything.

My friends would have it though at their houses so I did know what it was.

I never thought seriously about eating it. It sounds nasty tasting! Now that I'm

so enlightened I'm going to ask my friends' kids if they've eaten it, and then find

out if they like it...YUCK!

I'm glad you're glad, but now that life is settling down, I'm hoping to be able to post more often. And yes, playdough ice cream does exist and in my opinion it is some nasty stuff. Though, many kids seem to like it. I believe regular playdough (the kind kids play with) is non-toxic. I would think it would have to be with all the little ones that play with it. I don't think I had much for playdough growing up and what I did have didn't last very long before it got thrown out. Thanks for the review!
Link to comment
On 10/17/2014 11:21 AM, Valkyrie said:
I read the entire story in one go and am enthralled. :) I'm so glad you continued it and I look forward to the next chapter. Oh, and Playdough ice cream sounds just nasty! *shudder*
I'm glad you enjoyed it Valkyrie! I'll always finish something if I post, just sometimes it may take a while. And yes, playdough ice cream (imo) is very nasty, but my niece seems to like it. Thanks for the review!
Link to comment
On 10/25/2014 11:31 PM, ColumbusGuy said:
I just discovered this story today, and I've enjoyed it a lot--just wish the chapters were longer. :) You captured Jake's essence perfectly! Can't wait for the next chapter!
Thanks for the review ColumbusGuy! I'm glad that you're enjoying it. When I first started this story, I wanted a way to play a bit with the first line prompts, but didn't want to get into another major writing project. I was calling it my Saturday Shorts, a story with flash length chapters, hence the short chapters. Keeping it to around 1,000 words didn't seem as daunting as trying to write a full length chapter and I figured I'd be able to update it more often. It did get put on hold for a while due to some family issues, but I'm back to working on it amidst my other projects.
Link to comment
On 11/03/2014 08:24 AM, Lisa said:
Jamie really needs to be more careful when discussing Jake's father when Jake is around. Well at least she wasn't talking directly to her son about it. That would have been way out of line and not like Jamie at all.

 

Jake is very resilient and seems to take this news about his teacher being his dad's b/f rather well. :) Of course he probably doesn't care right this second as long as he can dig into that horrendous playdough ice cream! lol

Yes she does, it always amazes me how many divorced parents talk to their kids about the other parent, and a lot of times it's like they're questioning them. That was so not the feel I wanted with Jamie and Brad.

 

It will be interesting to see what happens after the playdough ice cream, lol... Thanks for the review!

Link to comment

Children hear everything they aren´t supposed to hear. Jake likes Tony and seems to have nothing against him being daddy´s new boyfriend.

Another great chapter!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 12/02/2014 03:14 AM, Suvitar said:
Children hear everything they aren´t supposed to hear. Jake likes Tony and seems to have nothing against him being daddy´s new boyfriend.

Another great chapter!

Thank you Suvitar! I'm that you are still enjoying the story. Kids definitely seem to have selective hearing, they always seem to hear what they're not supposed to hear, but yet whenever you WANT them to hear something they seem to not hear THAT, lol
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..