Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Line of Sight - 2. Chapter 2

Writing Prompt #72: (First Line) "Murray, do you really need to go out now?"

"Murray, do you really need to go out now?"

I stumbled into the kitchen and flipped the light on as the yapping escalated at the sound of my voice. These early morning wakeups were already getting old and it hadn't even been a full week since we'd got the mutt. The only thing that made it tolerable was that Jake absolutely loved the puppy and was finally starting to be the happy go lucky kid that he used to be.

"Hold your horses dog." I could hear the wind beating the snow against the house as I stumbled over to the crate, still blinking the sleep from my eyes. The closer I got, the louder the damn dog yapped. Within seconds I had freed Murray from his imprisonment and in his excited dash through the kitchen, he managed to piddle a line from his crate to the door. I sighed and let him into the backyard, shivering at the gust of cold wind and snow, before grabbing the cleaning spray and a handful of paper towels to clean up after him. I really hoped he grew out of peeing whenever he got excited.

"Daddy? Is it time to get up?"

I looked up from my task to see Jake standing in the kitchen doorway rubbing his eyes. I hadn't even glanced at the clock, but a quick glance showed that it was just after five. I wouldn't be able to get back to sleep, but there was no reason for Jake to be awakened so early.

"Not yet, Murray just needed to go out. Go back to bed and I'll wake you up when it's time to get ready for school."

I watched him turn and shuffle off before finishing up what I was doing. Murray was already pawing at the door so I let him in and flipped the coffeepot on. If I was going to continue to be getting up before the coffee brewed, I might just have to look into getting one of those individual cup coffee makers. I'd looked at them before, but had decided I didn't really need it. Many more mornings like this one just might make me change my mind. At least I wouldn't have to worry about it for a few days, Jamie would be the one to get woke up even before the butt crack of dawn by a yapping puppy.

I couldn't help but smile as I thought of my ex-wife. Unlike so many whose marriages ended in divorce, Jamie and I had managed to go from husband and wife to friends. It hadn't been easy, especially at first, but we'd always be a part of each other’s lives because of Jake and being on friendly terms made things so much easier. I knew it had been hard for her to not have Jake with her, but when she'd been offered a promotion that would have her travelling constantly, we'd decided that while we would still share joint custody, I would become the primary caregiver and she would have him whenever she was in town.

It just happened that after three weeks of being gone, she was returning later this morning and Jake would be staying the weekend with her and her husband Paul.

Jake had been torn up about leaving Murray behind, but at the same time had been looking forward to time with his mom. Jamie, bless her heart, had solved the problem by agreeing to take not only Jake, but Murray too. Jake had been ecstatic that he wouldn't be parted from his new friend.

The aroma of coffee hung in the air and I poured a cup and started sipping. I was useless before I had my first cup of the day, which just made me think that much more about getting one of those single cup brewers. I carried my coffee with me to the bathroom and started the shower, hoping that afterwards my back would no longer ache.

I had a lot of stuff to get done if I was going to be at Jake's school for my afternoon parent-teacher conference so the early wake up might not be such a bad thing. I was a little concerned about the call I'd received that Jake's teacher needed to speak with me. Mr. Cutler hadn't gone into detail about why he wanted to talk to me but I wished he had so that I wouldn't have driven myself nuts worrying about it. Whatever it was, I'd find out shortly after noon. He'd asked if I could come in between his morning and afternoon kindergarten classes and I could only agree.

I set my cup on the vanity and stepped into the steaming spray and let the hot water soothe away my aches and my worries.

At least for the time being.

Hope you enjoyed this Saturday Short!!! I know it was short, but please leave a review or join the discussion in my forum!
Copyright © 2014 Renee Stevens; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 40
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 04/28/2013 11:02 AM, Daithi said:
The joys of puppy training. But at least he gets a couple of days break. Nice story.
Thank you Daithi! And yes, I definitely know the joys of puppy training... And sometimes it seems it never ends. Thanks for reading and hope you continue to enjoy this story!
Link to comment

This story is still new and its plot has to be developed, but for some reason I'm hooked on it. I look forward to see it unfold.

Link to comment
On 04/28/2013 09:15 PM, Terry P said:
This story is still new and its plot has to be developed, but for some reason I'm hooked on it. I look forward to see it unfold.
Thanks Terry, I'm glad that you are enjoying it! I have quite a few plans for this story so I hope you continue to enjoy it as much as I'm enjoying writing it!
Link to comment

I don't even have puppies anymore and I'm STILL getting up at all hours of the night/morning to let them out. lol

 

Jake gets more adorable with each chapter. Well, even if there are only two. lol

 

I wonder what Jake could have done to warrant a parent/teacher conference?

 

Looking forward to more Renee! :)

Link to comment
On 04/29/2013 05:09 AM, Lisa said:
I don't even have puppies anymore and I'm STILL getting up at all hours of the night/morning to let them out. lol

 

Jake gets more adorable with each chapter. Well, even if there are only two. lol

 

I wonder what Jake could have done to warrant a parent/teacher conference?

 

Looking forward to more Renee! :)

LOL Lisa, my three are pretty good during the night, it's during the day that they are a bit obnoxious. As for Jake, you'll have to wait and find out this coming Saturday :D hehehe... Thanks for the review and glad that you are enjoying it!
Link to comment
On 04/29/2013 08:08 PM, Michael9344 said:
Okay. Jake's adorable. Can't wait for Saturday to come!:).
Thanks Michael! Yes, he is adorable, and obviously hard to say no to, lol. Don't worry, only a few more days and the next one will be posted!
Link to comment

Jake seems great and Jamie a wonderful mom for tolerating the dog for the weekend also. The parent teacher metting next week huh???? :P

Link to comment

This is such a lovely sliver of life. You are doing such a wonderful job of making a mundane chain of morning events seem interesting and engaging. I'm really enjoying this. I absolutely love the "First Line" format. Clever little pieces of flash fiction. Love it. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 05/02/2013 06:15 AM, joann414 said:
Jake seems great and Jamie a wonderful mom for tolerating the dog for the weekend also. The parent teacher metting next week huh???? :P
Thank you Joann! And the parent teacher meeting is now up! I think Jamie is going to be an interesting character through this little tale, though how many actual appearances she'll have I don't know. Hope you continue to enjoy it.
Link to comment
On 05/05/2013 11:19 AM, Mann Ramblings said:
This is such a lovely sliver of life. You are doing such a wonderful job of making a mundane chain of morning events seem interesting and engaging. I'm really enjoying this. I absolutely love the "First Line" format. Clever little pieces of flash fiction. Love it. :)
Thank you Mann! It's a bit of a struggle to make things work like I want them too, especially with this format, but I am doing my best and am glad that you are enjoying it! There is a lot more to come, so I hope to hear from you again!
Link to comment

Lovely chapter!

 

I have cats, not puppies, but they, too, insist that I let them out or feed them very early in the morning.

Link to comment
On 12/02/2014 12:58 AM, Suvitar said:
Lovely chapter!

 

I have cats, not puppies, but they, too, insist that I let them out or feed them very early in the morning.

Thank you Suvitar! LOL. Trust me, I know just how demanding cats can be as well. I have both and sometimes the cats are just as much, if not more, demanding than the dogs!
Link to comment

Little puppies and little children -- when they say they need to go, they mean they need to go NOW. :P
Enjoying the first couple of chapters.

Link to comment

Bringing up a puppy and a child is a big job, but so worth it. I'm really enjoying the father son dynamic. 

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..