Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Line of Sight - 4. Chapter 4

Prompt #117: (First Line) "What is that smell?"

"What is that smell?"

I nearly gagged at the stench permeating the car. Despite the cold I rolled the passenger window down a couple inches and turned the heater on full blast to counteract the chill. I glanced back in the rearview mirror and saw Jake pinching his nose closed.

"Daddy, Murray is stinky." He never released his nose and his voice sounded nasally, but I understood what he was saying.

"Jesus, Murray."

The damn dog just barked in response, and while it was probably just my imagination, he sounded quite happy with himself.

I started to shiver, and since I could no longer smell Murray's gift to us, I rolled the window back up. I didn't know why the dog had such bad gas, but I was tempted to take him to the vet. Not that I really thought they could do anything, but at least then I would know that it wasn’t anything health related.

I pulled into the visitor parking of Jake’s school and parked. Grabbing the steering wheel, I steeled myself to see Tony. With Jake at his mom’s for the weekend, I’d had a lot of time to think and most of what I thought about what the sexy teacher. Since I’d had Dave, I’d never really looked closely at Tony, but now I was noticing how utterly attractive the man was.

“Daddy?”

I shook myself out of my stupor; a glance at the clock told me we needed to hurry.

“Careful, don’t slip.” I helped Jake out and steadied him when, despite my warning, his feet started sliding.

“Can I carry Murray, Daddy?”

“I think I’d better; I don’t want you to fall.” I lifted the pup into my arms and cradled him under one arm and reached down to take Jake’s hand with the other. As long as I didn’t slip I’d be able to keep Jake on his feet. We hurried, as fast as we were able, into the school. I stopped at the check-in window and signed the log and had just taken Jake’s hand again when I was stopped.

“I’m sorry sir, but you can’t bring that dog in here.” The woman behind the counter didn’t sound the least bit apologetic, but I ignored her snotty tone.

“It’s okay Mrs. Welsh, I’ve already gotten it approved.”

I forced myself to ignore the way his voice sent shivers up and down my spine and turned to face Jake’s teacher. He smiled and looked at Murray who was still cradled under my arm.

“So, this must be Murray.” He stroked Murray’s head and scratched behind his ears. I never would have thought I would be jealous of a dog, but I was. Tony crouched down so he was eye level with Jake. “Morning Jake, are you ready to show your new friend to your classmates?”

“Yes! Can I go first?” Jake was nearly jumping up and down, jerking my hand as he held on.

“I think that’s a good idea. Why don’t you head into class and hang up your coat and backpack?” Tony stood as Jake let go of my hand and rushed into his classroom just across the hall. “I would say he’s a little excited.”

“Yeah, I think little would be an understatement.” I laughed and followed Tony as he led the way into the classroom, my arm still aching from Jake jerking on it.

“If you want to go ahead and have a seat, we’ll get this show started.” Tony motioned towards the chair situated at the back of the class.

“Sounds good to me.” I sat in the offered chair and settled Murray across my thighs as I watched Tony move to the front of the classroom. I forced my gaze away from his ass, focusing instead on the wiggling bundle of brown fur on my lap. The last thing I needed was to have any kind of reaction in a room full of five and six year olds.

“Okay kids, take your seats.” Tony clapped his hands a couple of times to get their attention which only served to make Murray bark and everyone turn to look at us.

“Shh, quiet boy.” I stroked his head as I whispered to him. He wriggled and tried to climb up me to lick my face, but I held him in place on my lap.

“As everyone can see we have a couple of special guests today.” Tony smiled and looked at me before focusing on my son. “Jake, would you like to bring your guests up here and tell us a little about them?”

“Yes!” Before I could even blink, Jake was grabbing my hand and tugging me to my feet. I barely had time to wrap an arm around Murray to keep him from falling to the floor. Jake dragged me to the front of the classroom and then turned me to face his classmates. After a moment he tugged on my hand and stage whispered, “Daddy, give me Murray.”

I bit back a grin and handed him his puppy, making sure he wouldn’t drop him before I completely removed my hands. It kind of felt like I was on display instead of just Murray and when I looked up I found Tony looking back, a slight smile curving his lips. I lost myself in his hazel eyes and didn’t realize Jake had said something to me until he tugged on my hand.

“Daddy?”

“What was that?” I had no idea what he might have asked and knew I’d have to pay better attention and not get distracted.

“What kind of doggie is Murray?”

“He’s what we would call a mutt, lots of different kinds of doggies.” I resolutely avoided looking back at Tony, but I barely heard anything else that Jake said about Murray. Before I knew it, Jake was carrying the pup around and allowing each of the kids to pet him before walking back to me. I reached down and took Murray in my arms and walked back to the back of the room while Jake took his seat once more.

“Okay everyone, tell Mr. McKenna thank you for bringing Murray in.”

“Thank you, Mr. McKenna,” fifteen kids chorused.

“Ms. Darcy,” Tony turned to his teacher’s aide, “I’m going to walk Mr. McKenna out, would you please continue on with show and tell and I’ll be right back.”

“Of course, Mr. Cutler.” The teacher’s aide moved to the front of the room as Tony joined me at the door. “Okay, who wants to go next?”

I didn’t wait to hear who volunteered, but instead walked the short distance to the check-in counter and signed out. When I turned, Tony startled me with how close he was. I smiled and he turned and led the way out of the school.

“Thank you for bringing Murray in; I really think it might help Jake settle down about the puppy.”

“I would say anytime, but I really hope you don’t have any more issues with Jake. If you do, feel free to call me and I’ll have another talk with him.” After the Friday meeting with Tony both Jamie and I had sat down and talked with Jake about his behavior in school. He’d promised he’d be good, but he was only six, and both Jamie and I knew that it was only a matter of time before it happened again.

“I’ll keep that in mind.”

We reached my truck and I opened the back door and set Murray on the back floorboards. I shut the door and turned to Tony.

“Thank you for letting me bring Murray to class. Jamie was saying that Jake was excited about it all weekend.” I held one hand out and stuffed the other in my coat to stay warm. A moment later Tony’s chilled fingers wrapped around mine and squeezed gently.

“I actually wanted to talk to you about something else as well, if you have a moment.” Tony looked nervous and still hadn’t released my hand.

“Is it about Jake?” I hoped there wasn’t another issue with my son, but if there was I would rather know.

“Not at all.” Tony looked away for a moment before finally meeting my gaze. “I know you said he spends weekends with his mom when she’s in town. I was wondering if you’d like to go have dinner with me one night when Jake is at his mom’s.”

“I …” It was so tempting, but I knew what my answer had to be. “I really wish I could say yes, but I can’t. I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t attracted to you, because I am, but you’re Jake’s teacher.” I wanted to say yes so bad, the word was on the tip of my tongue, but I knew I’d done the right thing. “I don’t want to confuse him, if Jake were to somehow find out.”

“I see. I won’t say I’m not disappointed, but I understand.” Tony turned and started back towards the school, but stopped halfway there and turned back to face me. “You know, I’ll only be Jake’s teacher for a few more months.”

“And if we’re both still free, maybe we can talk about it again then.”

“You can count on it.” He smiled once and then turned and walked away, disappearing into the building.

So? What did you think of this week's Saturday Short? I would love to hear what you thought, so leave a review! If you want to have some back and forth discussion, join in on the thread in my forum!
Copyright © 2014 Renee Stevens; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 42
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Am I the only one that thinks the next few months for the guys will seem longer than normal. I remember show and tell from my daughter classes her coming home telling me about kitties, puppies and I believe a few rabbits mixed in as well. Thankfully Murray reserved his strong olfactory gifts to the car and did not share that with the class or any other bodily functions deemed not appropriate by school standards lol. Nice chapter looking forward to the next one.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I like Tony, he really goes after what he wants :) Can't wait to see how the tension between them builds during the next few months.

Link to comment

I just found this story and I love it.. I like the idea of using "first line" prompts that's very cool and I like the short chapters :great:

Link to comment

Another good chapter! I really enjoy what you're doing with the first line prompt. This one was probably my favorite. Keep it up!

Link to comment

So glad you can make months into days when writing :P You are working a sexual warmth into a "G" rated story and doing a damn good job of it. Murray is a great matchmaker tho. 0:) Now I can't wait to see if their resolve will last for a few months. Tony sounds pretty hot! :wub: Great chapter.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Ah, Jake's dad shoulda gone for it! lol But I guess he was being the responsible parent. I'm a little surprised that Tony suggested it while he was still Jake's teacher.

 

Hopefully they'll both be free in June. And did Jake's dad have a feeling he wouldn't be free in a few months? lol

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 05/11/2013 10:30 PM, Daithi said:
Am I the only one that thinks the next few months for the guys will seem longer than normal. I remember show and tell from my daughter classes her coming home telling me about kitties, puppies and I believe a few rabbits mixed in as well. Thankfully Murray reserved his strong olfactory gifts to the car and did not share that with the class or any other bodily functions deemed not appropriate by school standards lol. Nice chapter looking forward to the next one.
Thanks for the review Daithi! I'm glad that you are enjoying the story as I am definitely enjoying writing it. I honestly don't remember much of show and tells from my own childhood, but I can clearly remember when a friend of mine had kittens and her son took one of them (right before they found new homes) to school with him.
Link to comment
On 05/12/2013 03:20 AM, intune said:
I like Tony, he really goes after what he wants :) Can't wait to see how the tension between them builds during the next few months.
Thanks intune! He definitely goes after what he wants, the question from here on is what is Brad gonna do about it!
Link to comment
On 05/12/2013 05:44 AM, Slytherin said:
I just found this story and I love it.. I like the idea of using "first line" prompts that's very cool and I like the short chapters :great:
Thank you Slytherin! I'd been having a hard time writing lately and thought this would be a good way to actually get something out there for the readers, and maybe help me get into some of my other stories as well. Glad you are enjoying it!
Link to comment
On 05/12/2013 01:15 PM, said:
Another good chapter! I really enjoy what you're doing with the first line prompt. This one was probably my favorite. Keep it up!
Thanks Myiege! Glad that you are enjoying the story. Writing using all first line prompts has been a bit tricky as there isn't always one that will be just perfect for what I need. I definitely have had to get a bit creative with this story.
Link to comment
On 05/12/2013 11:39 PM, joann414 said:
So glad you can make months into days when writing :P You are working a sexual warmth into a "G" rated story and doing a damn good job of it. Murray is a great matchmaker tho. 0:) Now I can't wait to see if their resolve will last for a few months. Tony sounds pretty hot! :wub: Great chapter.
Thanks JoAnn! Yeah, that is a perk of writing, you don't actually have to wait months. Thank you so much for your comments and whether or not I'll be able to keep it G rated remains to be seen, but I'm going to try.
Link to comment
On 05/13/2013 10:37 AM, Lisa said:
Ah, Jake's dad shoulda gone for it! lol But I guess he was being the responsible parent. I'm a little surprised that Tony suggested it while he was still Jake's teacher.

 

Hopefully they'll both be free in June. And did Jake's dad have a feeling he wouldn't be free in a few months? lol

Thanks Lisa! Yeah, I kinda wanted him to go for it myself, but I really wanted to show that he puts his son first, which is the way it should be. As for Tony, well... He's Tony, lol. Hope you continue to enjoy the story!
Link to comment
On 5/11/2013 at 3:30 PM, Daithi said:

Am I the only one that thinks the next few months for the guys will seem longer than normal. I remember show and tell from my daughter classes her coming home telling me about kitties, puppies and I believe a few rabbits mixed in as well. Thankfully Murray reserved his strong olfactory gifts to the car and did not share that with the class or any other bodily functions deemed not appropriate by school standards lol. Nice chapter looking forward to the next one.

They will definitely feel long.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..