Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Line of Sight - 8. Chapter 8

Writing Prompt #250: (First Line) “Here we go again.”

“Here we go again.”

“What?” I looked over at Jamie. She shook her head and leaned down to kiss Jake.

“Why don’t you go play in your room for a few minutes while I talk to your dad?” She smiled at our son. “I’ll come say bye before I leave.”

“Okay.” Jake barely even glanced at me before disappearing down the hall to his bedroom, leaving me alone with his mother. Even Murray left the room. Traitors, the both of them.

Dread settled in my gut as I watched Jake go and I turned to Jamie.

“Okay, let me have it.”

“How long have you been seeing Tony?”

“A month or so.” We’d gotten together a few times, and each time Jake went over and spent time with Paul if Jamie wasn’t home. “In fact, he was over here last night.” He was still here this morning too, but she didn’t need to know that. We hadn’t actually slept together; well we had, but all we’d done is curled up together and slept.

“Don’t you think it’s time you had him over when Jake is actually home?” Jamie raised one eyebrow. “I know you want to be cautious, but you need to find out how Jake’s going to react before you get too involved.”

“I hate you, you know that, right?”

“No you don’t. You might at this moment, but only because you know I’m right.” Jamie walked over and hugged me. “At least give it some thought. I’ll support you in whatever you decide, but I can’t imagine Tony is all that happy with having to sneak around.”

I shook my head. He wasn’t. We’d actually had a similar talk before he’d left earlier. Tony had wanted to stay until after Jake came home and I’d refused. I wasn’t sure what I was so worried about. Jake adored his teacher and I already knew how Tony felt about kids. Tony had been rather unhappy when I’d ushered him out the door an hour or so before Jamie was due to bring Jake home.

“There you go.” Jamie kissed my cheek. “You need to make a decision, Brad. Either be willing to take a little risk, which really isn’t much of a risk as far as I can see, or let Tony go. I could understand you being cautious, at first, but it’s time to actually see if you guys can make a go of it. If that’s what you want. You can’t do that if you’re hiding him from Jake, plus, Tony deserves better than being your secret.”

I nodded. I knew she was right, even if I didn’t want to admit it. I watched her walk away, and a few seconds later I could hear her down the hall, talking to Jake.

“Damn it.” I dropped my head into my hands and forced myself to take a couple of deep breaths. I still wasn’t sure I was doing the right thing, but I needed to do it before I lost my nerve. I grabbed the phone and dialed the number I already knew by heart.

“Hello?”

“Hey.” I caught movement out of the corner of my eye and saw Jamie watching from the doorway to the kitchen. Before I could tell Tony to hold on for just a second so I could get rid of her, she smiled and waved, then disappeared. A moment later I heard the front door close. I’d wait and see how the night turned out before I thanked her for once again pushing me in the direction I wanted, but was too afraid, to go.

“Hey, didn’t Jamie bring Jake home?”

“Yeah.” Even through the phone I could hear the aggravation in his voice. “Look, I’m sorry about earlier.”

“I shouldn’t have pushed.” Tony sighed. “I know you’re not ready to tell him about us.”

“Actually, I was wondering if you wanted to come over and have ice cream with us.” At least, I thought we had ice cream in the freezer. I probably should have checked before I called. Oh well. We could always go out for dessert. I walked over to the freezer to check while I waited for his answer. His silence worried me a bit, but before I could start panicking he finally responded.

“You sure?”

“Yes. Though”—I stared into the freezer—“I think we’re going to have to go out. I don’t have any.”

Tony started laughing.

“Or I could just pick some up on my way over.”

“I couldn’t ask you to do that.” Maybe I needed to quit asking Tony over for food, considering I’d burnt the lasagna on our first date and we’d ended up having to order in.

“I offered. Is there any particular kind Jake likes more than another?”

“Playdough.” I grimaced. I couldn’t stand the taste of it, but he loved it.

“That seems to be a favorite of kids. How about I get that and something else, anything in particular you don’t like?”

“A lot of the flavors geared towards kids, but other than that, not really.”

“Okay. I’ll stop at the store and be there in a half hour or so.”

“See you then.” I hung up and walked down the hall to Jake’s room. I paused in the doorway and smiled at the sight of my son playing with his trucks. “Hey bud.”

“Hi, Daddy.” Jake looked up at me before going back to the dump truck he driving over his city rug.

“It’s time for your bath, so put your trucks away.” If I had him ready for bed, we could enjoy ice cream with Tony, maybe even a movie, before Jake had to go to bed. “After your bath we’re going to have ice cream and watch a movie.”

“Playdough ice cream?” Jake’s eyes lit up as he jumped up and scrambled to put his trucks in his toy box.

“Yes, you get Playdough ice cream.” I barely managed to repress my shudder.

“Yay!” Jake started pulling his shirt over his head.

“I’ll go start your bath.” I chuckled and headed for the bathroom. I had barely taken two steps when a half-naked Jake darted past me. I followed him into the bathroom and started the water, adding his current bubble choice. There was barely two inches of water in the tub before Jake was climbing in and splashing around.

I shut the water off once the tub was full enough then headed to his bedroom for pajamas. I left the bathroom door open so I could hear him. I grabbed the first pair I found, his superhero ones, and took them back and set them on the closed toilet lid along with his towel.

“Make sure you get dressed in here, we have company coming over.”

“Who?”

“You’ll see, it’s a surprise.” I wasn’t sure why I didn’t tell him, but he’d find out soon enough. I still needed to figure out how I was going to explain Tony coming over. Was I ready for Jake to find out that I was dating his teacher? I wasn’t sure of the answer, but I knew I needed to figure it out soon.

Preferably before Tony arrived.

It's been so long since I worked on this story that it was a bit hard to get back into. To be honest, with recent events, it was even harder. Robert (Trebs) had been asking me for months when I was going to start working on it again, telling me it was the one of my stories he was most looking forward to me getting back to. The guilt at not having got it done prior to his death is huge, but I have resolved to finish it, if for no other reason because I know it's what he would have wanted. For that reason alone, the rest of this story is dedicated to him. Rest in Peace Robert, you will be sorely missed.
Copyright © 2014 Renee Stevens; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 34
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 09/09/2014 08:51 PM, peanutbutter said:
Hahahaha what happened to the mom's name ??? I thought her name was JAMIE??
DOH!!! Thanks, going to fix it now!
Link to comment

I know I read this when you first posted it. I don't know how I missed reviewing it. I must have read it on my phone is the only thing I can think of.

 

I bet Jake is going to think he did something bad in school when he sees his teacher there. lol But at least he'll have his playdough (ewwwww) ice cream to cheer him up! lol

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
On 09/08/2014 07:39 PM, Robertmarcus said:
I read your postscript. I too have been anticipating the rest of the story. Thanks for continuing!!!
Glad you are enjoying it Robert. I never post anything unless I plan to finish it. It just sometimes may take awhile when life gets in the way. Thanks for reading!
Link to comment
On 11/03/2014 08:15 AM, Lisa said:
I know I read this when you first posted it. I don't know how I missed reviewing it. I must have read it on my phone is the only thing I can think of.

 

I bet Jake is going to think he did something bad in school when he sees his teacher there. lol But at least he'll have his playdough (ewwwww) ice cream to cheer him up! lol

I agree that playdough ice cream is disgusting. I remember a long time ago when it first came out, my mom bought a gallon tub of it and refused to buy anymore until we ate it. If I remember right, she finally caved, because Dad wanted ice cream and that's all we had.
Link to comment

Ice cream date with a teacher, Jake will be surprised, but hopefully it´ll be a nice surprise. I´m glad Brad decided to tell Jake about dating Tony.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 12/02/2014 03:03 AM, Suvitar said:
Ice cream date with a teacher, Jake will be surprised, but hopefully it´ll be a nice surprise. I´m glad Brad decided to tell Jake about dating Tony.
Thanks for the review Suvitar! He could only keep it a secret for so long and at least he knows it's someone Jake already likes!
Link to comment

I hope Jake will think it's cool that his teacher is there. Kids that age usually adore their teachers. 

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..