Jump to content
    Rigby Taylor
  • Author
  • 2,754 Words
  • 1,966 Views
  • 13 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Fidel - 10. Disintegration

Robert limped for a week, and sporadic terrorist acts resumed.

Due to inexplicable malfunctioning of police communications from landlines to wireless and global positioning devices, officers never managed to arrive at the correct spot until long after the damage had been done.

Atrocities were always followed by warning notices on radio, TV and in print; usually a religious quotation signed JECHIS.

Individuals who were dressed inappropriately or behaving badly in public were roughed up by small groups of vigilantes and threatened with the wrath of god if they ignored the warnings posted everywhere. Sometimes a house or business would be bombed, usually when empty and doing little physical damage, a reminder of what was in store for those who ignored god’s commandments.

Everyone was talking about JECHIS, but no one knew who or what it was.

Official news bulletins in the corporate press and on Internet sites tended to play down the incidents, telling people not to become alarmed; the police had it under control; arrests were imminent; it was only a few isolated individuals, not organised terrorists.

Internet searches by concerned individuals failed to discover any useful reference to JECHIS. The emails received by every citizen were untraceable, as were social media posts. Alternative news and opinion websites reckoned JECHIS was distributing a virus that blocked and then deleted all references to themselves on every computer or Internet site.

Sensible people became alarmed that control of the digital system on which the civilized world depended, had been taken over. Every human service required computers linked to the Internet in order to function: from water supplies to transport of food and goods, sewage treatment to energy distribution and education. It was far too late to return to what some people were already referring to as the good old days, so what were the intentions of this JECHIS?

Not only was there no verifiable information about anything to do with them, but there were never any witnesses of attacks and bombings, and the police had so far been unable to trace the source of the explosives.

When rumours began circulating that all the incidents were acts of an angry god, millions shuddered and decided they had better learn to pray, because what else could explain the mystery? But whose god should they pray to? To the disgust of Fidel and friends, hundreds of thousands of otherwise rational citizens began wondering aloud if there might be a smidgin of truth in those rumours, and perhaps in the interests of a long life it would be sensible to join the invisible dispensers of god’s mercy, love and judgement. The problem was, no one knew where to find JECHIS, let alone how to become a member.

The desire to join the winning team is both natural and rational, and in this case was reinforced by the daily dissemination of simplified religious texts in all electronic media, as well as leaflets left in public places and notices pasted on fences and walls. It was a very clever campaign; enough annoyance to make people worry, not enough to cause open revolt—especially as there was no shortage of food or any other essentials. In fact, apart from the bombings nothing much had changed.

Confusing.

As the attacks had been widely spaced throughout the suburbs of Brisbane and regional centres, no one felt especially singled out. It was a softening up. But what for? What did they want?

What they wanted was a frightened populace that would gratefully accept its rule in order to stop the constant fear that next time it might be them.

As tension mounted, that was exactly what was happening. The voices demanding resolution grew louder and louder. But the masterminds of the take-over were not in a hurry. Their intended subjects had first to be taught not to complain, through fear of possible consequences. The ‘Free Press’ rapidly learned that lesson, and published nothing that might cause a bomb to explode near their premises. Thus, when ‘Adult’ night clubs and other venues that featured strippers were raided by masked marauders who laid waste to the interiors and as many patrons as possible, the stories appeared a few days later as mere footnotes buried deep in turgid prose. Editorials even made approving noises when all nudity, sex, porn and suggestive photographs and articles disappeared from the Internet.

Perhaps JECHIS was right, the citizenry began to whisper. Perhaps people who wanted sex outside marriage, or to be entertained by naked women and copulating couples were degenerate humans, offensive to their creator, and even… perhaps… deserved to die?

Bloggers rapidly learned to toe the line when they discovered that JECHIS knew exactly who they were, where they lived, who with, and how to hurt them. The possibility of anonymity that had already been disappearing thanks to global state and corporate Internet surveillance, vanished completely, to be replaced by an unbearable awareness of an invisible omniscient force that knows and sees all and is powerful enough to do as it pleases. Organised religion’s depictions of their god no longer seemed quite so preposterous.

Humans cope remarkably well and rationally with even catastrophic physical events, but they aren't well equipped to cope with impotence conferred by constant, irrational fear that eats away integrity, judgement, honesty, values and morality, fuelled by messages that appear as if by magic on walls throughout the city, one on top of the other, adding to uncertainty—an uncertainty aggravated by an announcement that simply repeated the last lines of the first proclamation all those weeks ago.

 

JECHIS is the invisible instrument of our creator who has decided it is time to sift goodness from evil in preparation for the End Times, which are upon us. Do not waste energy seeking us out; instead seek out the evil in your hearts and repent and mortify yourselves in the hope of mercy on the day of judgement.

 

Hylas finished his school year with relief and a certificate that assured any future employer that he had completed Year Twelve at St. Tightwad’s College. He always enjoyed the monthly dinners with Monique and Sanjay, and soon became Sanjay’s favourite when he discovered they shared the same dry, oddball humour that left the others shaking their heads. The sole topic of conversation expressly forbidden during these relaxing and enjoyable get-togethers was JECHIS.

 

The attacks stopped; but this time no one relaxed. Everyone kept looking over their shoulders expecting to be blown up, mugged, attacked, abducted…

 

Then one evening every radio station and screen attached to the Internet, mobile phone and TV suddenly broadcast the same message: “The State Governor has accepted the resignation of all elected representatives in the Queensland Parliament, and on the advice of JECHIS, has appointed a triumvirate of three moral and spiritual men; Caleb Saloman, Augustan Calvin and Muhammad Zurca.” The screen darkened for exactly fifteen seconds, followed by a blast of trumpets announcing the arrival of a dot of golden light in the centre of the screen, that gradually enlarged until it revealed a tall, well-fed man in long black robes and a skullcap, sitting behind a large and ornate desk.

‘Good evening. I am Caleb Saloman.’ The voice was nasal and intense. Irritating. ‘I am here to assure you that in the interests of fiscal stability, all the banks, building societies and other financial institutions have been taken over by JECHIS. Interest will be pegged at three percent for borrowing and two point five for lending. All deposits by individuals are safe and all transactions will continue as usual unless there is civil unrest, when changes may have to be made. Share market trading is suspended and all corporate assets are frozen pending investigation into the true state of their finances. Twenty-seven executives who objected to these essential measures were executed this afternoon in front of their staff.’ He nodded and the screens went blank for a few seconds before everything returned to normal.

Everyone, including Robert and the others, was relieved to know their money was safe—at least for a while, but wondered what it would do to the value of the dollar internationally.

 

In vain did rabbis, mullahs, priests and ministers of the three biggest corporate religions exhort their dwindling flocks to reject the blandishments of JECHIS and trust in their version of god, telling them to pray and refrain from heeding the call of self-serving charlatan terrorists.

However, belief in their god’s power to protect his servants was severely diminished when JECHIS officers of truth and justice strangled every publicly rebellious religious leader in front of their congregations, inside their temples.

By the end of the following month, all places of worship that refused to preach the JECHIS doctrines were blasted off their foundations and bulldozed into flat spaces for future tennis courts and other useful social activities.

All of their erstwhile adherents then wisely discovered that god was on the side of JECHIS, and being only human, joined him.

 

Homeowners began receiving visitors dressed in black accompanied by guards with powerful assault rifles, knives and handguns, presenting search warrants that they used to remove computers and take people away. Sometimes they returned, sometimes they didn’t. The police, when informed, shrugged and told the complainants to let sleeping dogs lie.

 

All mainstream media hailed the Triumvirate as a triumph of good government, bringing peace and stability.

 

Time passed.

 

Hylas became an assistant trainer as well as handyman. He turned eighteen.

 

Bart’s mother, who had withdrawn from all social activity and become virtually catatonic from long term anti-depressant addiction, finally took the plunge off the observation platform at Picnic Point in front of about fifty people, whose determination to get a better view of the body splashed onto rocks fifty metres below nearly shoved a few more people over.

Bart was simultaneously relieved and guilt struck. It had been two years since he had visited her, finding it too distressing to sit with a woman he still loved, who would do nothing except sit silently and refuse to speak or move or listen or react. He knew it was his father’s bullying and violence that had made her life unbearable, but couldn’t throw off the notion that her strict Catholic upbringing and consequent inability to cope with having a gay son, had contributed perhaps even more. She had never visited him since Robert moved in; refused to see Robert under any circumstances.’

 

The patrons of Arnold’s gymnasium, while not unaffected by the on again, off again violence, managed to forget the horrors for a while at Natural Fitness, blanking out problems while burning off their fat on the equipment. To most, the gym had become an island of sanity in a sea of hysteria, run by trainers whose innocent decency set them apart from lesser mortals. When asked to explain how they felt about the staff they fumbled for words.

‘It’s as if they are pure,’ someone said.

‘Yeah. When Fidel comes and adjusts an apparatus, or asks me in that deep soft voice how I'm going, or explains the use of equipment, I get a strange tickling in my gut, as if I'm in the presence of someone special who genuinely cares and is interested in me, not in the impression he’s creating.’

‘You sound almost religious.’

‘I almost am. I believe in angels.’

‘I don’t have a religious bone in my body, but I agree with you. I think it’s because they hide nothing we feel as if we know them. Being naked, they look vulnerable and honest and… and good.’ The speaker looked around at smiling faces. ‘Yeah, I know it sounds soft, but it’s how I feel and I wish I was like them.’

‘They certainly aren't bloated capitalists; what they charge must be only the bare running costs.’

‘My wife doesn't understand, she thinks I’ve turned queer and only come to perve. But there's nothing to perve at. You just see a whole man for what he is. If that's not the sign of an upright, honourable and decent person, I don’t know what is.’

 

A week later, the citizens of Queensland were offered a glimpse into the nature of their triumphant Triumvirate overlords on prime time TV. An elderly man who looked like everyone’s sweet old grandfather made the following announcement.

 

People are wondering who or what JECHIS is. It is a benevolent host of Jews, Christians and Islamists who value the fundamental values of their faiths and have watched with aching hearts as humanity disintegrates into warring tribes devoid of morals, ethics or values, intent only on securing wealth and power. This offence to the expressed desires of the one true Lord and Master of the universe, must be stopped. To this end the holy men of JECHIS have put aside two thousand years of differences and acknowledged the single root from which their religions blossomed. Strengthened by this, they have accepted the burden of returning mankind to the original beliefs and dogma of Judaism, Christianity and Islam that dictate the correct thoughts and actions for all humankind. To achieve this holy aim, all impure thoughts and actions will be punished according to ancient law. Foolish people have complained that innocent bystanders are being caught up in our cleansing. Be assured there are no innocent bystanders. Let your Lord and Master decide who is guilty, and remember that you all are guilty of impure thoughts.

 

A few days later, the client who believed in angels took Arnold aside and said softly, ‘Please show no reaction to what I'm about to say or I will get into trouble.’

‘Ok.’

‘You will be inspected during the evening session in two days time. Put locked doors between the men’s and women’s gyms, and agree to everything, then you will be safe.’

Arnold remained impassive and in a conversational tone thanked him and continued with the session.

At the after work conference, he shared the information and advice.

‘He is probably correct,’ Bart said thoughtfully. ‘We aren't the only people to be inspected. It’s happening everywhere. The business premises of one of the men in the 3V group was visited by black clad members of JECHIS. He reckoned they were constantly trying to trap him by making outrageous suggestions to see if he would argue, because in Deuteronomy 17:12 it states that people who don't listen to, or reject the verdict of the judge or of the priest who represents their god, must be put to death. He survived, but knows someone who was taken out and shot for arguing with the inspector, so he’s a nervous wreck. If he’s right, and I think he is, it’s essential we remain calm and impassive no matter what they say. Never argue. We’re especially susceptible because we’re naked, although Arnold’s man suggests we shouldn’t worry about that.’

In order to impress on their own minds the seriousness, they stood and one at a time solemnly promised that whatever the inspectors might say or suggest, they would agree with. There would be no arguing, no attempt to offer a different point of view, no matter how evil.

‘But even if we do agree with everything, they won’t believe us.’

‘That doesn’t matter. I'm pretty sure they aren't trying to convince us they're right; they simply demand we accept their absolute authority. It’s normal. It’s how humans are still ruled in most countries, and have been ruled since they stopped being hunter-gatherers. The people who head Religious organisations aren't stupid, they know that humans can never agree on anything, so the only way to make them conform is to put the fear of god and his messengers into them.’

‘Our society isn't—wasn’t like that.’

‘What happens if you drive on the wrong side of the road, don’t pay tax, steal your neighbour’s car, shit in the street?’

‘You're right. Now I feel stupid.’

‘You aren't—like most people you’ve been brainwashed to think your country’s perfect. All we have to do is keep our wits about us and agree with them. But not like creepy sycophants. They're only impressed by what they call ‘real’ men. Our beards will help.’

The other trainers were apprised of the inspection and told to stay completely away from the gym on full pay until they heard from Arnold. All six were fiercely independent men, and for that reason unlikely to remain calm in the face of absurdity dressed as reason.

Copyright © 2018 Rigby Taylor; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 10
  • Wow 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Unfortunately, there are enough fundigelicals in positions of real power that the line, the separation of church and state, has become a dotted line at best and erased at most levels. Politicians now seem to (or actually do) put their hand on the Constitution and swear to uphold their bible. I thought i had figured out that JECHIS was something like 'Jesus Eats Charlatans, Heathens in his Soup,' or something meaningful like that.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I love that your amazing, fevered and comprehensive imagination can produce such an appaling distopia. Whereas in real life we know everyone would behave rationally and sanely and would dismiss the rantings of the dogmatic few.

 

(See what a classical education does? Promotes irrational wishful thinking to extraordinary heights!)

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
7 hours ago, Timothy M. said:

They forgot to decide which religion they're going to claim.

They're claiming all three religions of the "Book" - a Three Headed monster. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
5 hours ago, Wesley8890 said:

This has quickly became a tale of horror

Indeed it has - and all too plausible as Skyacer has realised. 

Link to comment
9 hours ago, skyacer said:

Unfortunately, there are enough fundigelicals in positions of real power that the line, the separation of church and state, has become a dotted line at best and erased at most levels. Politicians now seem to (or actually do) put their hand on the Constitution and swear to uphold their bible. I thought i had figured out that JECHIS was something like 'Jesus Eats Charlatans, Heathens in his Soup,' or something meaningful like that.

An imaginative solution to the name - it makes mine seem somewhat prosaic. You are correct about the political landscape - Here religion dictates the votes of far too many politicians - because they hold the balance of power in so many electorates. Worrying times indeed, as there are so many historical and recent precedents for a backwards leap into the theocratic serfdom of the Middle Ages. Thanks for your thoughtful comment. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

This chapter was....disturbing.  

 

You’ve successfully taken the extremes from the Christian, Islamic, and Jewish faiths and combined them into one terrifying entity.   Let’s hope this isn’t a harbinger of things to come.  Although, the Bible tells me to expect one world-wide “religion” in the end, it’s still not something I look forward to.  

 

I wouldn’t want to live in a Theocracy, but I do think that everyone needs a moral compass.   Looking forward to the next chapter!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Okiegrad said:

This chapter was....disturbing.  

 

You’ve successfully taken the extremes from the Christian, Islamic, and Jewish faiths and combined them into one terrifying entity.   Let’s hope this isn’t a harbinger of things to come.  Although, the Bible tells me to expect one world-wide “religion” in the end, it’s still not something I look forward to.  

 

I wouldn’t want to live in a Theocracy, but I do think that everyone needs a moral compass.   Looking forward to the next chapter!

Disturbing indeed. But tell me, Okiegrad, what has religion to do with morality? - the basic behavioural precepts of the current three big religions are identical to those that have guided humans since the dawn of time - from hunter gatherers two hundred thousand years ago until today. The current, relatively recent bunch of wannabe overlords simply took them and many of the other myths of popular beliefs, repackaged and pretended they invented them. Clever, but not ethical. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

There was a recent study about ethics and empathy in children. It turned out that children of parents who said they were not religious had a higher standard of kindness and morals than children of parents who identified as Christians or Moslems. (The number of parents with other religions were too small to give statistically significant results.) The really interesting result was that the religious parents were convinced their children were 'better' in this respect than the subsequent tests revealed. The researchers speculated that the reason was that religious parents assumed having faith was enough to ensure morality, whereas the non-religious parents made efforts to teach their children to be nice.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Timothy M. said:

There was a recent study about ethics and empathy in children. It turned out that children of parents who said they were not religious had a higher standard of kindness and morals than children of parents who identified as Christians or Moslems. (The number of parents with other religions were too small to give statistically significant results.) The really interesting result was that the religious parents were convinced their children were 'better' in this respect than the subsequent tests revealed. The researchers speculated that the reason was that religious parents assumed having faith was enough to ensure morality, whereas the non-religious parents made efforts to teach their children to be nice.

Thanks, Timothy. Free thinkers always score better than average on such tests, because the 'rules' which guide decent behaviour towards others are the result of enlightened logic and reasoning, not a supernatural revelation,  and are held in respect by all sane humans, regardless of race or belief. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I am having a little trouble in suspending belief in order to accept the concept of genuine true believer fundamentalist from these three religions to actually get along with each other long enough to form an organisation like this. I  do imagine that I will find out as I continue to read this book. 

On a separate note, what happened to FUMUTIE?

  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 1/21/2020 at 12:46 AM, Any1 said:

I am having a little trouble in suspending belief in order to accept the concept of genuine true believer fundamentalist from these three religions to actually get along with each other long enough to form an organisation like this. I  do imagine that I will find out as I continue to read this book. 

On a separate note, what happened to FUMUTIE?

That's very perspicacious of you Any1, And your predictions of a falling out will probably come to pass, as they like to say.

As for FUMUTIE, they  imploded; the men decided they could do without females and started their own love-in religion, living on  the money they' d accumulated. The females tore out their hair and hearts in fury at being rejected, turned to drugs,  and a decaying heap of raddled bodies was discovered in an old quarry a couple of years later.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..