Jump to content
    sacredlove
  • Author
  • 6,292 Words
  • 3,662 Views
  • 14 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Not made for each other - 4. The Portrait

Chapter 4: The Portrait

Zune


It’s Sunday and I’m sitting on my porch in a pair of blue jeans and a white three quarter shirt, waiting for my boyfriend to come pick me up. No, we are not going on any date. No, I’m not going to meet his mom either. I think I should raise the curtain from this little suspense. I’m going to Edwards’s place. Surprised? So am I. If a few weeks ago, someone would have told me that one day I’d be going to Mr. Arrogant’s house, I would have called him harebrained and suggested that he should consult a psychiatrist. And now here I am, going to his house willingly and Kev is the one dropping me off there. Strange, huh? First of all, let me make this very clear: Edward and I did not anyhow become friends or anything. I haven’t even seen him since that fire disaster, which was exactly fifteen days ago. So why am I going to his place? Let me explain.

Fifteen days ago, when I opened my eyes after flaking out in Edward’s arms, I found myself in a hospital room with a bunch of people around me; my mom, Kev, Carol, Jake, Ron and Mr. Fitzgerald. It took me more than an hour to make them believe that I was fine. I don’t think I have said my name so many times in my entire life, as much as I said ‘I’m fine’ on that day. I came to realize how much I mean to so many people. My mom…well she was not crying as she’s damn strong, but I could see her eyes moist with tears. She was kissing my forehead every other minute like she was assuring herself that it was not a dream that I was with her, in one piece and fine, (if you ignore my burnt legs and hands).

Kev looked damn worried. He was panicking like he was the one who got burnt not me. He kept asking me if I’m feeling fine, if my legs and hands are hurting too much, do I need this, do I need that…oh my God, he drove me insane. But then I thought about how much he cared for me. I could tell that he was feeling my pain. Whenever I cringed because of my wounds, I saw him anxiously calling for the nurse. His magical blue eyes never left my face.

The whole time I was awake, I found Carol, Jake and Ron around me. They were bringing coffee for everyone, consoling my mom, trying to calm Kev down and assuring after regular intervals that I was fine and didn’t need anything. Mr. Fitzgerald praised me for rescuing two lives. When the doctor confirmed that I was fine, Mr. Fitzgerald left after advising me to take proper rest, (as if I was able to do anything else).

Doctors told them that I had to stay there overnight. Everyone wanted to stay, especially the one who needed the rest most; my mom, so I advised, insisted, warned and threatened her until she agreed to leave. After giving me a long mind-numbing lecture, the summary of which was to take care of myself, she left with Jake and Ron with a promise to show up early the next morning.

Now it was just Carol, Kev and I. I was on the bed in a sitting position, leaning back and both of them were sitting on either side of me. A few minutes later, a doctor came to examine me and then left when he found everything under control.

“Wasn’t he HOT?” Carol asked in a sultry voice.

“Carol please, he was at least twice your age,” Kev remonstrated.

“So what? His ‘equipment’ should be in working condition, right?” She blurted nonchalantly.

“You’re shameless,” he chided.

“You’re impotent,” she retorted back.

“Brainsick”

“Crackbrained”

“Bitch”

“Swine”

“Whore”

“Pimp”

“Guys, guys, you forgot I’m here,” I interrupted waving my bandaged hand between them.

“Tell this bitch to stitch her mouth.”

“Tell this swine to shut his shit-hole.”

“Both of you SHUT UP RIGHT NOW!!” I commanded. They didn’t utter another word and began silently gazing down.

“Good. Now, can anyone let me know how our school is? How’s that woman in the wheelchair? How’s Ariel? What happened after I fainted?” I inquired.

“I’ll tell him everything; you go get some coffee and something to eat for all of us,” Carol commanded Kev.

Kev glared her with distaste but never said anything and left without any argument, cursing her under his breath, “Bitch”.

“Dickhead,” Carol responded in a whisper. Oh God, they were worse than Ariel.

“Carol,” I warned her.

“Okay. Okay. I promise I’ll not say another word against your boyfriend for next…fifteen minutes,” she joked, pinching her throat between her thumb and index finger.

“You are a hopeless case Miss Lewis,” I concluded smiling at her, “Now, tell me everything.”

For the next fifteen minutes, she related every single detail that she knew of about what happened to the school in the fire. The fire was caused by some electrical wires short-circuiting. Our school was now turned into an amorphous structure. Our summer vacation was starting early because the school was shut down. There was so much damage they couldn’t keep the school open until they had it repaired. But there was good news; everyone had escaped without much incident. Some of our teachers suffered minor injuries while they were helping others, but other than that, everyone was safe and sound.

Carol told me that she talked to Ariel and learned that he was playing ‘hide and seek’ during his lunch period and had gone to his favorite place to hide; the unlocked storeroom. It was clear to me then what was he doing there and how he knew where the blankets were. The little angel probably lost consciousness due to all the smoke.

Carol then informed me about that woman in the wheelchair. I was curious to know how the hell she knew my name. I didn’t get my answer but what I found out was not easy for me to digest.

“You know who that woman in the wheelchair was?” She asked cryptically.

“No. Do you know her?” I asked skeptically.

“She is Rebecca…Rebecca Woodsworth…Edward’s Mom,” she revealed.

“Are you…are you sure Carol? I mean…how…” I couldn’t complete the sentence as I was still musing over that latest discovery.

“Yup. I’m sure,” Carol confirmed. “She’s a paraplegic. She’s a regular visitor in the principal’s office because of all the complaints against her son, the homophobe. Today was the first day of his after-school detention, so she came to assure Mr. Fitzgerald that that dickhead would not do anything like that again. When our school caught on fire, she was waiting for our principal in his office. Mr. Fitzgerald was on his way back from a meeting then.” It explains what she was doing in our principal’s office. I think she fell on the floor while trying to getting out of that smoke-filled room.

“Jake and I were with that rascal in our fourth-period class. We all ran out of the school instantly when the fire alarm sounded, making us deaf. Jake and I were worried about you and that bastard was panicked about his mother. After an eternal wait, we finally saw you when you came into the front gallery. We were aghast with the scene in front of us. Your legs were on fire and you were screaming with pain. You were wet with sweat. You were covered with smudges. You were unable to open your eyes. Before anyone could do anything, Edward went to his mom. He hurriedly blew off the fire caught in the wheels of the wheelchair with his bare hands. In the meantime, the firefighters arrived.”

I gave her a questioning look when she mentioned the firefighters; I knew they were on strike.

“I know they were on strike but it ended minutes before you came out,” She clarified.

“Firefighters directed a big-mouthed pipe towards you. I wheeled Edward’s mom out; Jake lifted Ariel in his arms and took him to his mom while Edward moved towards you to help you. When Jake and I came back for you, we saw you in the arms of that asshole. You were unconscious. I don’t know why he suddenly found some humanity in him, but I’m glad he helped you. He lifted you in his arms and took you to the ambulance, but after that he disappeared. Then, I saw him in the hospital with his mom but he never came in your room. Once Mrs. Woodsworth was discharged, he went with her and never came back.” She spilled out every detail of her investigation.

I was still trying to wrap my head around everything that Carol had said. She held my bandaged hand gently and said, “You scared us there for a while, Zune.”

“I’m fine Carol. Believe me, I really am,” I assured her.

“I know. I know.”

“Tell me one thing. How do you know all these things in so much detail?” I asked, furrowing my eyebrows.

“She’s a news channel on her own.” It was Kev. He was back with coffee and some grilled sandwiches.

“Ha ha ha, very funny,” Carol commented, “Give me some of them, I’m starving,” She ordered him, rubbing her hand against her belly.

“No way. Go grab something on your own. These sandwiches and coffee are only for my boyfriend and I.” Kev teased her.

“I’ll kick your ass,” she threatened.

“You can’t.”

“Try me, fat ass.”

This time I didn’t stop them. The bantering back and forth between them was the life of their beautiful, strong friendship. Now, even I was addicted to their teasing; I found it cute and I found them cute.

The next day Ariel came to visit me. He was as gabby as Carol, even a step ahead of her. That little demon never shut his mouth. His mother had to literally drag him out of the room to shut him up. But I liked him. His cherubic face and innocent eyes reminded me of when I was a child. His mother thanked me a zillion times for saving her little boy. After showering thousands of blessings on me, she left with her little angel.

Within an hour of Ariel’s departure, Mrs. Woodsworth arrived. There was a vacuity in her eyes. She didn’t talk much but invited me over her house for lunch when I got out of the hospital. I tried to give her many excuses but she was stubborn like a child. In the end I had to agree. I promised her that I would come to her place, when I was able to walk there on my own. She gave me a motherly kiss on my forehead and reminded me of my promise before she left.

In these last fifteen days, she had called me every day to know how I was feeling and to remind me of my promise. Kev, Carol, Jake and Ron were not very happy with my decision. They thought that it would not be safe for me to go Mr. Arrogant’s house. I could understand their concern, even I was not sure about this lunch thing, but I wanted to meet with Mrs. Woodsworth to find out how she knew me. Perhaps Edward told her my name, but how did she recognize that I was Zune? I never told my friends that Mrs. Woodsworth somehow knew me. I only talked with my mom about this and she supported my decision for meeting Mrs. Woodsworth for lunch. So here I am, waiting for Kev so that I could fulfill my promise.

There was not a single day when all my friends hadn’t visited me after my discharge from the hospital. We all had great fun together. We watched our favorite movies, talked nonsense, and cooked for ourselves. It was like an indoor picnic every day. I realized that except for Jake, the other three couldn’t even boil water. But Jake, oh my God, he’s a great cook. I loved the lasagna he cooked the day before yesterday.

Ron loves to play chess just like me. We played many games together but he won most of them. Carol was the one kicking everyone’s ass for no good reason, (as if she needs one). Kev was always around me, holding my hand and hypnotizing me with his glinting blue eyes. I was still confused about my feelings but I was sure whatever he was feeling was nothing but love…true love. I love when he smiles looking at me. I love that he treats me like I’m special…very special. I love when he acts like an obstinate child. I love everything about him, but do I love him?

“You look sexier when you are wrapped up in your thoughts.” Kev’s husky voice compelled me to lose my concentration on what I was thinking.

“When did you get here?” I asked, unable to sense when he came and sat beside me.

“When you were thinking about me,” he winked.

“Who said I was thinking about you? I was thinking about someone else,” I lied curling my lips.

“Who else has the guts to enter in your thoughts except me?” he asked enviously.

“And why should I tell you that?”

“Because I’m your official boyfriend,” he claimed with authority, encircling his right hand around my shoulders, pulling me closer.

My breathing had picked up because of the sudden closeness with my ‘official boyfriend’. We were gazing into each other’s eyes as if time stood still, as if we were in a different world which belonged to only to Kev and Zune. He was leaning closer…closer…closer. Our quivering lips were centimeters apart when I put my fingers on his lips and muttered, “There’s still one week left to complete this month.”

“Damn. Couldn’t you remember that restriction a few seconds later?” He scowled, bouncing his hands in air.

“Oh come on Kev, it’s just one more week.” I tried to cheer him up.

“A week. A week? For you it could only be a week, but for me it means seven days, a hundred and sixty eight hours, ten thousand and eighty minutes and six…”

He was babbling looking nowhere in particular. I didn’t allow him to complete his whining because I kissed him. Yes, I kissed him…on his cheek.

“You are a superb mathematician,” I praised him. Without waiting for his response, I got up and began walking towards the bus stop, leaving Kev there dumbstruck. I was struggling because my wounds were still not healed. A few moments later, I found him walking with me. We were again in our comfortable silence. I could feel his eyes on me. After walking a few steps ahead, he told me he’d already called a cab. I looked at him.

“I think right now cab is a better option for you than bus,” he insisted.

‘He cares for me, tolerates my whimsical behavior, follows my so-called terms and conditions, makes me smile and above all else, he loves me. He is a perfect boyfriend. I’m so lucky to have him.’

“Hello.” Kev pulled me out of my thoughts, waving his hand in front of my face. I was still looking at him.

“Thanks Kev. Thanks for everything.” I felt my eyes well up with tears for no reason. Without any previous warning I hugged him.

“Zune. Are you okay?” He asked worriedly, but hugged me back.

“In your arms I’m more than okay,” I mumbled. He hugged me tighter.

“Now, let’s go otherwise you’ll be late,” he reminded me, breaking the hug after few moments. I missed his strong arms already, but I was smiling.

“Yeah,” I agreed.

He opened the door for me like a true gentleman and shut it when he was confirmed that I was perfectly fine. He quickly came inside from the other side and informed the driver where we were going and then he held my hand and intertwined our fingers together. We both smiled looking at each other.

“How do you know where Edward lives?” I asked inquisitively after few moments.

“Through our little news channel,” he answered.

“Carol?”

“Yup.”

“Oh God. Is there anything she doesn’t know about?” I asked dubiously.

“I don’t think so.” We both couldn’t hold back our laughs.

On our way, we had the cab driver stop so I could purchase a corsage of orchids for Mrs. Woodsworth. I asked Kev about Daryl, his cousin, who so wanted to meet me but he had to leave two days after his arrival. Kev told me that he would be back in a month, and this time he could stay for a longer period of time. It meant he wouldn’t be here on Carol’s birthday which was three weeks away. I was sure Carol would be disappointed when she found out. Last week I confronted her with my doubts of her crush on Daryl and after much interrogation she revealed that she feels something for him and even he seems to reciprocate her feelings but she hasn’t told this to anybody, not even Kev. She wanted to tell everyone on her own but before that, she wanted to be sure how Daryl feels about her. I promised her I would keep my mouth shut as long as she wants.

Kev and I discussed our first official date where Mr. Kevin Samuel Ray would be freed from the ‘no kiss’ rule for the day. I was planning to go lenient on him…and on myself, so I was about to change that condition of ‘a kiss every month’ to ‘a kiss every day’ but I hadn’t told him about this. This was going to be one of the gifts he would get on our first date. Honestly, my situation was no better than his. It was becoming damn difficult for me to restrain myself from not to kissing him and not getting kissed by him. I was undoubtedly sure that I would go insane if I waited another month for the next kiss from my amazing boyfriend.

A few minutes later, we arrived at the Woodsworth house. He urged me to think over my decision once again. He looked very worried. I assured him that I would be fine and if anytime I needed him, I would definitely call him. After making him believe that I’m just going in for lunch, not on the border for any war, I made my way towards the Woodsworth’s front door, staggering, holding the corsage in my left arm.

“Zune?” Kev called behind me.

“Yeah?” I stopped and turned around.

“Take care,” he said with his lustful smile.

“I definitely will, Kev,” I assured him with a smile and once again moved towards my destination.

“Zune?” He called me again.

“Yeah?” I said with a heavy sigh after turning around for the second time.

He slowly came up to me, brought his face closer to mine and kissed me…on my cheek. “I love you.” He whispered in my ear. This time I was the one who became dumbstruck. He gave me his beguiled smile.

“Bye Kevin.” That’s all I was able to say. I blushingly smiled and for the third time proceeded towards Mr. Arrogant’s house. For the last time, I briefly glanced back before continuing to the front door. Kev was looking in my direction and smiling. I waved to him, smiling back.

It was a blue-bricked house. The front door had no steps up to the entry, making it ideal for Mrs. Woodsworth. I was standing nervously before the front door, which was designed with a beveled glass door panel incorporating a beautiful center bevel, elaborate corner bevels, and a top bevel that complemented the others. The background glass was baroque and had a wavy texture providing privacy because you couldn’t see through it. The glass around the border had a heavier glass texture and framed the bevels. The door trim package with rosettes and keystone was present on the exterior, adding beautiful details to the door.

After taking few deep breaths, I rang the doorbell. A few moments later, Mrs. Woodsworth opened the door.

“ZUNE!!” She acknowledged.

“Good afternoon, Mrs. Woodsworth,” I greeted her.

“Good afternoon. Please, come in.” She guided her wheelchair to her left to give me space so I could enter.

The house had a scent of pine. The living room was roomy and comfortable and painted in a dazzling light blue. A nice broad coffee table was located in the center of the living room. Several pots of red roses were positioned on top. There was a sofa on each side of the coffee table and they were dressed in cozy cream-colored slip-covers. The hardwood floor was stretched all across the room. A large LCD TV was affixed to one of the walls.

“Have a seat Zune.” My eyes were still wandering around mesmerized, when Mrs. Woodsworth caught my attention.

I stepped towards her and gave her the corsage. “This is for you ma’am.” She took it.

“Thanks Zune, for these beautiful orchids and for coming.” She sounded gratified. Then she called her domestic help Sophia, to bring some coffee. After that she decided to show me around her house.

This elegant and majestic house had only a main floor and an extended terrace; I guess Mrs. Woodsworth’s condition was kept in mind while constructing this nice house. Even the kitchen, which was well equipped with each and every essential, had shelves which were easily within Mrs. Woodsworth’s reach. The kitchen was connected to the living and dining area and the dining room was grand. It had a set of mahogany chairs gathered around a large table. A beautiful ornamented vase of white roses sat in the middle, which helped to embellish the table.

This luxurious house was surrounded by gardens filled with blooming wisteria, and fountains and a fishpond in the backyard. The backyard garden was a perfect place to listen to soft solacing music and for stargazing at night.

Then, she started showing me bedrooms. Every bedroom was big, filled with light and was decorated in various lively colors. The bedrooms had hardwood floors, high ceilings, stained glass windows, and crystal chandeliers. Each room had a king-sized bed, a large closet, a tall dresser, two comfortable couches and French doors. Each room was equipped with ceiling fans and the house also had central air. I had already seen three bedrooms. We were heading towards the last bedroom…Mr. Arrogant’s bedroom, when Sophia came to inform us that lunch was ready. Mrs. Woodsworth promised to show me his bedroom after lunch.

The food was of a seven-star restaurant quality. I hadn’t eaten such luscious food before. It was out of this world. After lunch we sat in the living room for a while. I was glancing sideways and looking around wondering where Mr. Arrogant was.

“He’s not at home,” Mrs. Woodsworth informed me, reading my gestures.

“Oh,” I responded.

“He’s out on a date,” She explained the reason for his absence.

‘May God bless that girl,’ I prayed in my mind.

After sitting in pin-drop silence for few moments, Mrs. Woodsworth spoke up first.

“Zune, I know that Ed created a lot of problems for you on your very first day of school and for that I’m really sorry,” she apologized.

“It’s okay ma’am. It is Mr. Arr…I mean it is Edward who must be sorry not you. No offense, but I can’t believe he’s your son,” I blurted out honestly.

“The way he acts now, you can say he’s my husband’s son.” I didn’t get it and I guess that bemused expression showed on my face. “There was a time when Ed was his mother’s son…my son; he was always smiling, ready to help everyone. He was cool, calm and loving. He loved painting, cooking and dancing,” she continued.

“Helpful, cool, calm and loving? Painting, cooking and dancing? Are you sure you’re talking about Edward, Edward Woodsworth, ‘The Edward Woodsworth’?” I asked incredulously.

She let out a small laugh and replied, “Yes, I’m talking about ‘The Edward Woodsworth’.” Then she became somber, “You know Zune, there’s always a reason behind the way a person behaves,” she mentioned solemnly.

“You mean to say there’s a reason behind the way he behaves in school; the way he torments students or may I say homosexuals?” I asked curiously, looking at her.

“Yes, there is.” She shifted her gaze to me.

“And what it is?”

“My husband.”

“Your husband?”

“Yes, John Woodsworth. He hates homosexuals. He thinks homosexuals deserve nothing but hatred. He thinks they don’t have any right to live. In his eyes, they are sinners who are corrupting this society.”

Those words reminded me of my encounter with Mr. Arrogant. He also used those words that day.

“But, why does Mr. Woodsworth hate homosexuals so much?” I couldn’t stop myself from asking.

“John’s father was gay and left my mother-in-law when she was pregnant with him. Since he found out, my husband never passes up an opportunity to insult homosexuals. I think he hates them more than he loves us.” I could hear the sarcasm in her last sentence.

“John filled Edward with the same poison ever since he found out that Edward’s best friend Stephen was gay. That was the day I lost my son. That day he became my husband’s son. Just like a lot of teenage boys, Edward idolized his father. So he started following in his footsteps; taking his beliefs and his morals. I tried my best to oppose John and make Edward understand that this is all wrong, but I guess my voice wasn’t loud enough to be heard.” She said somberly.

“After being lectured by his father on ‘homosexuals are evildoers’, Ed ended his childhood friendship with Stephen. Stephen was a very nice guy. For him, Ed was his world. When Ed betrayed him by outing him in front of the whole school, Stephen fell apart and left this city with his family for good. It’s been five years since that happened. Ed hasn’t made any friends since that day. He trusted no one. He became like a robot working from his father’s directions. His father thinks that painting, cooking and dancing are hobbies for a girl, not for a jock. Ed left his hobbies and his only motto in his life was to make homosexual’s lives miserable. You know what is the real problem Zune? His behavior is only pretence to become his ideal father’s ideal son. Deep inside, he’s not happy at all. He’s always quiet. He always keeps to himself and I can tell he’s sad. Ed knew that listening to his father and believing what his father said was wrong. He knew that what he did to Stephen was also wrong, but these beliefs have been engrained in him for so long, he didn’t know how to just stop thinking this way.” she confided. I knew she was holding back her tears. There was so much inside her. The day she came to visit me in the hospital, I felt that there was a storm behind her calm and soothing demeanor. I was so right.

“I miss my old loving son; the son who didn’t hate anyone, who was caring, who liked to paint when he was confused, who loved to cook when he was happy and who used to dance when he was angry or excited. I miss his smile Zune…I miss my son…I miss…” her voice cracked. She was unable to stop the flow of tears rolling down her cheeks. I went to her and gave her a glass of water.

“Ma’am, please take this.” She took a few sips.

“Thanks.”

“Ma’am I have two questions.”I asked her after few moments, when she was calmer.

“Go ahead.” She said sniffing.

“First, how do you know me? I’m sure Edward told you my name, but on that day, in the principal’s office, how did you know that I was Zune?”

“And the second one?”

“Why did you tell me all these things which are too personal to share with a stranger?”

“Edward didn’t tell me anything about you and the answer to both of your questions is in Edward’s bedroom.” She replied with a slight smile. She led me to Mr. Arrogant’s room. His room was no different from the other bedrooms. Mrs. Woodsworth made me sit on one of the couches and she drove her wheelchair towards the closet. She opened it and took out something that looked like a painting. She turned her wheelchair towards me.

“Ed painted this portrait; the day he got detention for a week…the day he met you. Since that day, whenever he was alone, there were many times that I found him staring at it with a smile.” With that she handed it to me. I took it carefully and gave it a look. I was stunned. I was looking at it, my mouth open in shock. It was me…it was me in the picture. Edward drew my portrait?! EDWARD DREW MY PORTRAIT?! WHY? WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?

“After so many years of not painting anything, he painted you. I came to call him for dinner, when I saw him painting. After a very long time, he seemed happy. He was smiling while he was painting. I didn’t disturb him. The next day, when he was out, I came in to his room and found it. Earlier on the same day, when I was called to the school regarding his detention, Mr. Fitzgerald told me what Ed did to Jake, and he mentioned that a boy named Zune rescued him. When I found the same name written on this portrait, I understood it was you.” She explained.

“But why did he draw my portrait? He hates me, why would he draw my picture?” I asked in confusion.

“I’m sure he doesn’t hate you but just pretends to hate you. He probably wanted to be your friend.” She reckoned.

“What? No way. He hates me.” I said perplexed, looking at my portrait. I was damn mystified by all this. Oh God, what’s happening?

“Look Zune, I really don’t know the actual reason, why Ed painted you. All I know is that he finally painted something after a very long time. I know he smiles whenever he looks at it. His smiles were lost somewhere a long time ago. A few minutes ago, you wanted to know why I told you such personal things. I answer you now Zune. I told you all those things because I see hope in you,” she concluded.

“Hope?”

“Yes, right now you are my only hope Zune. You are the only one who could return my lost son to me,” she said hopefully.

“Hold on, hold on. What are you saying? How could I…”

“Yes, only you can Zune, only you can. Can’t you see that he doesn’t hate you? If he hated you then why did he help you the day school was on fire?”

“I don’t know.”

“Why did he draw your portrait?”

“I don’t know.”

“Why does he always smile, whenever he looks at it?”

“I DON’T KNOW!” I whined. “Look ma’am, I don’t know what you mean by most of these things but two things I’m very clear about. First, Edward hates me; and second, I hate him. I’m sorry, but I can’t help you with this matter.” I said determined.

“Please, don’t say no Zune, please.” She pleaded.

“Ma’am I…”

“Please, Zune, I beg you.”

“Ma’am, please don’t do this.” I urged.

“Zune, I don’t want my son to live his life like his father did. I want him to be a nice man. I want him to be happy. I want my son back. I…I…” She couldn’t complete her sentence as she broke down in tears.

“Ma’am, please don’t cry, please.” My soothing pleas were doing nothing to her. She was sobbing inconsolably. “Okay, I’ll help you.” I blurted. I knew I was going to regret this. “But please stop crying, I beg of you.” I pleaded. I brought a glass of water for her. She gulped it down in no time.

“Are you okay?” I asked.

“Yes, I am…fine. I am sorry for my sudden outburst,” she apologized.

“There’s nothing to be sorry for. You’re a mother and you have every right to be worried about your son, to think about his life.”

“Thanks for understanding me.” She thanked and I smiled in response.

“Okay, I know you think that Mr. Arr…I mean Edward doesn’t hate me, and you somehow believe that I can make him your ‘old loving and caring son’, but how will I do that?” I asked.

“Befriend him.” she replied.

“What? That’s not possible. He will never ever want us to be friends.” I declared.

“Then, make him want your friendship.”

“And how will I do that?”

“That’s what you have to figure out. I’m sure you’ll find a way.”

“You are thinking too high of me. Okay just suppose for a sec, we miraculously became friends, but then what?”

“I’m sure, in your company he will be able to differentiate between right and wrong.”

“Why do you trust me so much?”

“I really don’t know Zune, but I have no doubt that only you can give me my Ed back.”

“Well Mrs. Woodsw…”

“Please, call me Becca.”

“Well Becca, I promise I’ll try my best to help you out.”

“I know you will.”

I saw a smile fixed on her face. She looked relieved. We came out to the living room once again. I promised her that I’ll keep my word and inform her if there’s any progress, (about which, I was highly doubtful). She also told me not to tell Edward anything about this. I assured her that I wouldn’t do anything like that. We talked a lot after that. I asked her how she survives in such a big house alone all day. I suggested to her to find a job.

“John will never be ready for that.”

“Why?”

“Because I’m a paraplegic.” She clarified.

“So what. It’s not a reason not be able to work. Look Becca, it’s your life and you do have a right to decide whether you want to have a job or not. Okay, tell me, do you want to work?” I asked.

“Honestly, I so wanted to have a job. Every day I feel like this big and empty house is going to swallow me,” she admitted.

“That’s it. Then I’m sure if you talk with Mr. Woodsworth, he’ll definitely respect your decision.”

“No Zune. I know him. He’ll never allow me to work. He thinks the actual place of a married woman is in the kitchen,” she said looking down.

Before I could respond, my phone beeped. It was a message from Kev. He was waiting for me outside.

“Mrs. Woo…Becca, sorry but I have to go now. My friend is waiting for me outside.” I apologized.

“Okay. Take care Zune and please…”

“Don’t worry Becca, I remember my promise,” I assured her. She smiled.

She accompanied me to the main door. I was out of the house now, but before Becca could shut the door, I turned around and stated, “Becca, whoever thinks a woman’s place is in the kitchen, should remember that that’s where the knives are kept.” She smiled after pondering that for few moments.

“Zune, are you sure you’re just sixteen?” She asked, narrowing her eyes. She was still smiling.

“At least my birth certificate says so.” I shrugged and smiled back.

“Take very good care of yourself, Zune.”

“You too, Becca.”

I turned around and started walking towards my boyfriend who was waiting for me, few feet away, leaning on the cab. I don’t know if I did something wrong by promising Becca to help her out and I don’t know how I am going to be able to befriend Mr. Arrogant, but I was sure that now I was not going to renege on my promise. I was determined to help her. I decided not to tell anybody about all of this for the time being because I was sure they would think that I have gone crazy and they would never allow me to do it, especially Kev.

I remember the rainy night I ran into Mr. Arrogant; there was anger and hatred in his eyes. There was something else too, but I couldn’t read it. Perhaps that ‘unreadable thing’ meant something. He also helped me out on that fateful day when our school was on fire and now I found a portrait of me that he painted. His mom told me this is the reason for his smile nowadays. Maybe all these things mean something, I don’t know what, but I want to figure it out.

“Hey, how was your lunch?” Kev asked inquisitively, when I reached out to him.

‘I still have to find out.’ I thought to myself.

“Amazing.” I replied with fake enthusiasm. Then we got inside the cab and left for my home.

‘I’m sorry Kev. I’m hiding a few things from you, but I promise to tell you everything soon…very soon.’ I promised Kev in my thoughts.

I held his hand and intertwined our fingers together, like he did on our way to the Woodsworth house. He looked at me and I rested my head on his shoulder. I could feel him smiling.

 

TBC.

 

 

 

 

 

 

                                              

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


So this is the fourth chapter of my story. I hope you liked it. Your suggestions and reviews will help me to improvise my writing, so please tell me what you like about it or what you don’t.
If I work hard on my chapters, Lisa works harder. Very special thanks to Lisa for being my beta reader, editor and such a sweetheart.
Thanks for reading:)
Copyright © 2017 sacredlove; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 12
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Eh, the chapter went up a little early, huh? lol

 

I love the bantering back and forth between Carol and Kev. They actually get along really well b/c they both know the other is kidding. But I can see how it would drive someone crazy just listening to them all the time! =)

 

So....Wheelchair Lady = Mrs. W. = Mr. Arrogant's mom - didn't see that one coming. Also didn't see the fact that Mr. Arrogant may be human after all. lol

 

I actually feel really sorry for him. But not as sorry as I feel for his mom. She must be in mental anguish knowing how unhappy her son is and not being able to help him. I hope by her asking Zune to help her and befriend Edward doesn't blow up in her face.

 

I was really surprised to find out that he paints. And that he painted a picture of Zune. And that he smiles every time he looks at it. And that he feels like he has to cover up his "humanity" and being nice b/c his father is an ass. So, maybe there's hope for him yet? Ha, I'm sure he won't even let Zune near him, never mind make friends with him.

 

Terrific chapter sacred! Really pulled on my momma heartstrings. :)

Link to comment
On 12/09/2012 03:43 PM, Lisa said:
Eh, the chapter went up a little early, huh? lol

 

I love the bantering back and forth between Carol and Kev. They actually get along really well b/c they both know the other is kidding. But I can see how it would drive someone crazy just listening to them all the time! =)

 

So....Wheelchair Lady = Mrs. W. = Mr. Arrogant's mom - didn't see that one coming. Also didn't see the fact that Mr. Arrogant may be human after all. lol

 

I actually feel really sorry for him. But not as sorry as I feel for his mom. She must be in mental anguish knowing how unhappy her son is and not being able to help him. I hope by her asking Zune to help her and befriend Edward doesn't blow up in her face.

 

I was really surprised to find out that he paints. And that he painted a picture of Zune. And that he smiles every time he looks at it. And that he feels like he has to cover up his "humanity" and being nice b/c his father is an ass. So, maybe there's hope for him yet? Ha, I'm sure he won't even let Zune near him, never mind make friends with him.

 

Terrific chapter sacred! Really pulled on my momma heartstrings. :)

Hey lisa, thanks a lot for your review and your help. While writing this chapter i also got quite emotional thinking about edward's mom. Glad you felt the same. You are right, it won't be easy for zune to become friends with edward but i have full faith in zune just like edward's mom.

Take care lisa and god bless you:-)

Link to comment

I'd like to know why Becca hasn't tossed her husband out on his sorry ass. :thumbdown: What a jerk! Living with such a hateful man must be unbearable. And a chauvanist to boot.

So isn't Zune in a pickle. I'm ever so curious how you plan to pull this off!

Kev's a sweetheart! :thumbup:

 

Great chapter! :2thumbs:

Link to comment

Wow, what a small world that he rescued his enemies mom! I love the idea of Ed having painted Zune, and that the painting makes him smile, maybe it's because Zune dares to do what Ed doesn't and that's stand up for what's right. I felt really bad for Becca, to have a husband like that who spews his garbage to their son and basically keeps her in a little prison not letting her work is just a destructive person to have around. She clearly wants her son to find happiness and not feel like he has to hide himself to have his father's approval, but I'm not sure how that will be possible unless she kicks that toad to the curb. I look forward to seeing where you take this, and whether Zune's efforts to befriend Ed will mess up his relationship with Kev. That's gonna be so tricky and soo cool to read. Great job, can't wait to read more.

Link to comment
On 12/20/2012 05:10 AM, Conner said:
I'd like to know why Becca hasn't tossed her husband out on his sorry ass. :thumbdown: What a jerk! Living with such a hateful man must be unbearable. And a chauvanist to boot.

So isn't Zune in a pickle. I'm ever so curious how you plan to pull this off!

Kev's a sweetheart! :thumbup:

 

Great chapter! :2thumbs:

Hey connor, thanks for the review. Next chapter will make it clear what zune gonna do about his promise to becca. I'm glad you liked this chapter. About becca, well she still has to go a long way about which you'll come to know in coming chapters.

Take care and god bless:-)

Link to comment
On 12/20/2012 10:22 AM, layla said:
Wow, what a small world that he rescued his enemies mom! I love the idea of Ed having painted Zune, and that the painting makes him smile, maybe it's because Zune dares to do what Ed doesn't and that's stand up for what's right. I felt really bad for Becca, to have a husband like that who spews his garbage to their son and basically keeps her in a little prison not letting her work is just a destructive person to have around. She clearly wants her son to find happiness and not feel like he has to hide himself to have his father's approval, but I'm not sure how that will be possible unless she kicks that toad to the curb. I look forward to seeing where you take this, and whether Zune's efforts to befriend Ed will mess up his relationship with Kev. That's gonna be so tricky and soo cool to read. Great job, can't wait to read more.
Hey layla, thanks for the review. I'm glad you have fun reading this chapter. Zune's promise to becca is going to do many changes in his, kev's and edward's life. You'll know about that in coming chapters.

Take care and god bless you:-)

Link to comment

Somehow missed this chapter, but catching up now! Zune better behonest about everything to Kev soon. Edward painting the pic of Zune opens a whole new can of worms here, and makes life a little more interesting for Zune, and confusing.

Edward's mom need a little more courage and I hope Zune helps her along if he can. Now I have once more chapter and I will be all caught up. Better and better. Good job!

Link to comment
On 01/30/2013 09:01 AM, joann414 said:
Somehow missed this chapter, but catching up now! Zune better behonest about everything to Kev soon. Edward painting the pic of Zune opens a whole new can of worms here, and makes life a little more interesting for Zune, and confusing.

Edward's mom need a little more courage and I hope Zune helps her along if he can. Now I have once more chapter and I will be all caught up. Better and better. Good job!

Hey Joann, it's always great to have a review from you.

Yeah, you are right. Life would be more interesting, confusing and difficult for zune in coming days.

Thanks for the review. Take care:-)

Link to comment

I'm surprised to know that that woman on wheel chair happens to be Edward's mom, are you serious? Her husband , in my opinion, is a complete prick. She should kick his homophobic ass and leave him but it's easy to say and hard to do.

My heart goes out for Edward's friend, Stephen. poor guy was betrayed by his own best friend.

I think Zune mustn't hide anything from Kevin, it would create nothing but complications in their relationship.

Anyway, it would be interesting to know about Zune's course of action.

Link to comment
On 02/28/2013 12:17 AM, silentdreamer said:
I'm surprised to know that that woman on wheel chair happens to be Edward's mom, are you serious? Her husband , in my opinion, is a complete prick. She should kick his homophobic ass and leave him but it's easy to say and hard to do.

My heart goes out for Edward's friend, Stephen. poor guy was betrayed by his own best friend.

I think Zune mustn't hide anything from Kevin, it would create nothing but complications in their relationship.

Anyway, it would be interesting to know about Zune's course of action.

Ooops I talked about Becca a bit earlier or say a review earlier, lol. Okay so let me repeat myself, there's more to come about Becca. You are right her husband is a complete prick and he'll get what he deserves but it would take some time.

:)

Link to comment

I am really enjoying this story so far, but I often wonder why a monkey wrench must be thrown into every good and loving situation. Why do I see this not ending well for Kev? I hope that Zune will be honest with Kev and tell him everything before it all goes awry.

Link to comment
On 03/25/2014 09:40 AM, Gene63 said:
I am really enjoying this story so far, but I often wonder why a monkey wrench must be thrown into every good and loving situation. Why do I see this not ending well for Kev? I hope that Zune will be honest with Kev and tell him everything before it all goes awry.
Thanks a lot for your review. I'm glad you are enjoying story so far. There's a lot remaining to be happen in Zune, Edward and Kev's lives so stay tuned.
Link to comment

Typically a straight guy does not paint a portrait of a gay guy he supposedly hates and does not smile at said portrait. Zune seems to be a smart guy so he should be able to read between the lines and realize Edward’s homophobic actions are likely just his method of hiding the fact he is gay. If my dad was as homophobic as his I’d be hiding my true feelings as well though I hope I wouldn’t act like a homophobic jerk in order to appear to be straight. I also know it’s a stereotype but the whole dancing & cooking thing does not sound like something a macho bully would do either which to me is another hint at his true sexual orientation. He likely dropped doing those things along with art for fear his dad would label such things as gay. This is a crazy love triangle that’s forming and I feel a little sorry for Kevin already because Zune has already lusted after Edward once despite his attitude so if Edward is interested in him as I suspect he is then I foresee drama in the future.

Link to comment
On 8/4/2018 at 6:07 AM, NimirRaj said:

Typically a straight guy does not paint a portrait of a gay guy he supposedly hates and does not smile at said portrait. Zune seems to be a smart guy so he should be able to read between the lines and realize Edward’s homophobic actions are likely just his method of hiding the fact he is gay. If my dad was as homophobic as his I’d be hiding my true feelings as well though I hope I wouldn’t act like a homophobic jerk in order to appear to be straight. I also know it’s a stereotype but the whole dancing & cooking thing does not sound like something a macho bully would do either which to me is another hint at his true sexual orientation. He likely dropped doing those things along with art for fear his dad would label such things as gay. This is a crazy love triangle that’s forming and I feel a little sorry for Kevin already because Zune has already lusted after Edward once despite his attitude so if Edward is interested in him as I suspect he is then I foresee drama in the future.

Oh you are right, there's a whole lot of drama ahead! Zune and kevin and Edward have a long way to go. 

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..