Jump to content
    sacredlove
  • Author
  • 10,465 Words
  • 4,030 Views
  • 18 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Not made for each other - 9. Back to Normal

Chapter 9: Back to Normal

Zune


 

The sweet smell of blueberry pancakes made me to wake up the next morning. When I opened my eyes, I was alone in my bed and alone in my room. The clock on my night table was flashing 11.15 a.m. I drowsily rolled out of my bed yawning and stepped towards the bathroom. My head was still aching a bit.

Yesterday’s events were still fresh in my mind; Joey, those thugs, an injured Edward and my father.

‘I have to meet Edward. Last night, he didn’t care about himself; he was only concerned about me and I left the hospital without seeing how he was doing; I was so ungrateful.’ I decided to think about everything later. Right now, Edward was more important.

I took a much needed bath, put a new adhesive bandage on my head wound and put on a clean pair of blue faded jeans and light brown sleeveless t-shirt. When I climbed down the stairs, I found Jake in the kitchen with my mom, helping her prepare the pancakes. Ron, Carol and Kev were sitting at the dining room table. Carol seemed pissed off and was lecturing Kev about something. Ron was just gazing back and forth between Kev and Carol. As they felt my presence, everyone became silent and began staring at me.

“How are you feeling now?” Jake asked first, putting the spatula on the right side of the stove.

“Did you sleep well?” Carol asked.

“You must be hungry.” Mom said worriedly.

“Are you…” Kev started.

“I have to go to the hospital and see how Edward is doing,” I declared, looking at no one in particular and interrupting Kev before he could continue this series of questions.

“Jake, please take care of these pancakes for a while. I’ll be right back,” my mom requested, and moved towards me.

“We need to talk, hon,” my mom said in a pleading tone. I looked at her. Her eyes were moist. I nodded and she sighed in relief. She held my hand gently and led me to her bedroom. I didn’t resist.

We sat on the edge of her bed. She didn’t say anything, neither did I. She began caressing my back in a way that only a mother could. It soothed my tensed muscles, eased my inner pain and my every dilemma and my stress melted away. I don’t know why but suddenly I felt an urge to cry. I couldn’t hold back my tears and hugged her tightly. When my breathing got back to normal again, I looked at her. I was feeling much lighter on the inside. She wiped my tears and kissed my forehead. I hugged her again.

She asked me how I got to that awful place. I didn’t tell her about Joey and his kiss with Kev. I just told her that we had a fight and I stormed off from the restaurant and wound up there. She knew the rest of the story. She praised Edward and informed me that he was discharged early this morning, so if I wanted to meet him I had to go his home. My mom also wanted to come but she had to leave for the hospital; she had a double shift. She ordered me to invite him and his family to dinner. I nodded, pressing my lips together.

She asked me whether she needed to talk to Kev, I told her no; I assured her that I could handle everything. She smiled. I could read that relieved smile on her face. She was happy that I was not devastated from last night’s horrible experience. She never talked to me about Matthew Rilens, and I didn’t mention anything about him. She told me that she would go to the police station today after her shift to find out the progress on my case.

My mom walked back to the kitchen to finish helping Jake with the pancakes. I sat at the dining room table between Ron and Carol. Kev was seated right in front of me, across the table. I didn’t look at him but could feel his gaze fixed on me. Mom served me hot pancakes and Jake generously poured some honey syrup on them. I had almost forgotten that I was starving. The last thing I had eaten was that chocolate cake baked by Stella at Kev’s home yesterday afternoon. I dug into my breakfast without a second thought.

“Mom, I’m leaving for Edward’s house,” I shouted from the dining room table when I was done with my breakfast. I wanted to make sure that my mom could hear me, since she was still working in the kitchen.

“Okay hon, but don’t forget to take your phone and wallet with you,” mom yelled back.

“Already took them,” I ensured her and began walking towards the front door.

“Zune.” I stopped abruptly but didn’t turn around. It was Carol’s voice.

“I’ll drop you off,” she proclaimed, getting up from her seat.

“Carol…” I started to protest but Carol cut me off.

“I’m not asking you, Zune. I’m just informing you,” she gave me a glare suggesting ‘don’t-you-dare-to-argue’. I huffed. I went outside and got seated in her car. After waiting for two minutes, Carol came out of my house and slipped into the driver’s seat.

For the first few minutes she didn’t utter a single word. I could feel that she was tense and thinking about something. I had a very good idea what she was thinking about; Matthew Rilens, her nice uncle and my asshole father.

“Z…Zune, I had no idea that Uncle Matt is…is your father,” She spoke, attempting to begin a conversation.

“I know,” I answered.

“Are you angry with me?” she asked in an unsure tone, blinking rapidly.

“No,” I replied.

I knew it was not her fault that her Uncle Matt was my father, the same father who betrayed my mother years ago.

“Zune, I know you hate him but…but he’s not a bad person. I talked to him last night and…” she stated cautiously, looking ahead at the road.

Okay, now it was totally her fault. I snapped my head around, giving her an angry look.

“You know, you are absolutely right. He left my mother when she needed him the most, but he’s not a bad person. He abandoned his unborn child, but he’s not a bad person. He never ever tried to find out what happened to us, AND HE IS NOT A BAD PERSON. Carol, will you please enlighten me with the appropriate definition of a ‘bad person’?”

I didn’t wait for her reaction and diverted my eyes to my right side. She didn’t respond. I kept looking out my window for a good five minutes.

“So, we are still friends, right?” she asked skeptically after some time.

“Carol, we are and will always remain friends, nothing can change that,” I assured her truthfully, shifting my gaze to her with a slight smile. She gave me a relieved smile back and handed me a folded piece of paper.

“What is it?” I asked while taking it from her.

“It’s a letter from Kev. He said you would be angry with him and wouldn’t talk to him, but he wanted to tell you exactly what happened at Hoardle’s so he wrote this letter and told me to give it to you,” she explained, giving me a glance.

I unfolded it and began to read.

Zune,

Please don’t tear up this letter without reading it. I hope you have decided to read it.

I know you don’t want to talk to me right now and I totally understand that, but please give me a chance to explain, Zune, please.

I hope you are still reading this.

Zune, when I was coming out of the bathroom last night at Hoardle’s, that idiot, stupid Joey, got in my way. I told him to get lost but instead listening to me, he started seducing me. I scolded him harshly but it didn’t do any good. After arguing for several minutes, all of a sudden he jumped on me, pinned me to the wall and began kissing me insanely.

I hope you are still reading this.

Before I could push that slut away, you appeared and everything got messed up. I tried to search for you in every possible place but I couldn’t find you. I also called Jenny but her phone was switched off. Ron, Jake and Carol had no idea where you were. So I decided to wait for you at your house.

I hope you are still reading this.

You have every right to be angry with me, not to talk to me, ignore me, but please, please, please, tell me that you are not breaking up with me. I know somehow that I’m the reason why something happened to you last night, and I know I can’t change that but I promise you Zune, it will never ever happen again. God, I promise Zune, I swear on my mom, please, please, just this time, forgive me.

I hope you are still reading this.

No one could ever take your place in my life Zune, no one. I can’t think of my life without you Zune. I LOVE YOU, and will always be in love with you, even if you decide not to talk to me ever again.

I will wait for your reply.

Kev

With a smile I folded it back up, keeping it safe in the front pocket of my jeans.

“So, I guess you have forgiven him,” Carol surmised, curling her lips into a knowing smile.

“Who says?” I argued, while trying to conceal my broad smile unsuccessfully.

“Your, ‘I love you, Kev’, smile gave it away, Zuney baby.” She began teasing me and was completely enjoying it.

“I don’t love him…yet. And what is ‘Zuney baby’ all about? Don’t tell me that is my nickname from now on,” I commented, showing mock terror on my face.

“You are so smart, that’s why you are my friend.”

“It means Kev is not your friend as he’s so dumb,” I remarked and we both laughed for few minutes at the expense of poor Kev. It was so nice to laugh again. I was feeling good. Carol always had that impact on me.

“Zune, he really loves you. I can see that in his eyes. He’s really sorry for what happened and I have promised him that if anything like this ever happens again, I’ll kick his fat ass so hard that he won’t be able to sit properly again,” she revealed nonchalantly, as if she were talking about her favorite ice cream flavor. I couldn’t hold back my laugh imagining Carol kicking Kev’s ass mercilessly.

In the meantime, we reached the Woodsworth’s house. She told me to call her when I was done here, so that she could come to get me. I resisted but Carol is Carol. There’s no one in this world who could argue with her. I nodded and moved towards the front door.

I rang the doorbell. Sophia opened the door. She informed me that Edward was in his bedroom and Becca was with him. I went to his bedroom and knocked at the door.

“Come in, Sophia,” It was Edward’s voice. He thought I was Sophia.

I slowly opened the door and came inside. Edward was on his bed leaning back against the wall in a sitting position, and Becca was in her wheelchair in front of me, on the left side of his bed. A surprised but genuine smile emerged on their faces as they saw me.

“Hi Be…I mean, good morning Mrs. Woodsworth.” I corrected myself on time.

“What a pleasant surprise, Zune. Come in, and now you can also call me Becca in front of my son. I told him everything,” Becca disclosed happily.

“What? Why? I mean…when?” Another surprise. Now I was tired of them. I wanted my life to be boring.

“Well, Ed will tell you everything. I have some chores to do. I’ll be back in a while,” she announced, looking between Edward and I with a mysterious smile before she turned around and wheeled herself out of the room.

I grabbed a chair, placed it in the same spot where Becca’s wheelchair was seconds ago, and sat down carefully in it. A happy-go-lucky smile was very much visible on Edward’s bruised face.

“Are you okay?” we asked simultaneously, and then chuckled together, which helped to lighten up the awkwardness between us.

“You are looking happy. So I take it you are not mad at me for never coming to see you last night and after knowing that I…I asked for those promises because of Becca,” I anticipated, raising my eyebrows.

“Dogs get mad. People…they get angry,” he mentioned with a funny look.

“What?” I was clueless where this theory was coming from. I guess those bastards hit Edward’s head pretty hard.

“Nothing,” he chuckled and continued, “… and I don’t have any reason to get angry with my…friend.”

As he said friend, I felt an extraordinary ticklish feeling flutter in my stomach. ‘Friend’, hmm…sounds nice.

“When mom told me about your ‘secret’ meeting with her, I was surprised but not angry at all. There was nothing you could have gotten from that except insult and disappointment from me in your try to fulfill your promise which you gave to my mom. But you didn’t think about all that; the one thing you thought about was my mom, her helplessness, her pain. I think you understand her better than any of us could ever understand her, and for that I’ll always be thankful to you,” he concluded.

In response I just gave him a modest smile.

We talked for hours, about his paintings, his cooking skills, and his passion for dance. He showed me my portrait, which he made on the day we first met. I also told him about my mom, my friends and my hobbies. He listened to everything enthusiastically. I conveniently ignored telling him anything about my coward father.

Later Becca came in with Sophia with our lunch. Becca, Ed and I ate, talked, joked and laughed like old childhood buddies. When I was with them, thoughts of last night’s terrifying incident didn’t cross my mind for a second.

Soon it was time to leave. I excused myself for a minute, walked out of Ed’s bedroom and called Carol.

“Hey, Zuney baby,” Carol greeted me with my newfound nickname.

“Carol, please don’t call me that, and I’m done here, so…”

“Okay, I’m coming to get you,” she interjected.

“Carol, will you please listen to me for a minute?”

“What? Don’t tell me ‘I’ll come by myself’, ‘I’m not a child’ and all that crap. You…”

“Could you send Kev to pick me up?” I interrupted her blabbing with my sudden and unexpected question. Everything was going fine and I wanted it to stay that way.

“Ooookaaayyyy,” she stretched each letter dramatically.

“Okay then, bye.”

“Bye, Zuney baby.”

She was definitely having fun teasing with my new nickname but I didn’t respond this time because I knew that would only provoke her into using that nickname more often.

I went back in to Edward’s room and informed them that my ride would be here soon. Ed’s smile faded from his face but returned a second later. I invited Becca and Edward to dinner, as per my mom’s instructions. They accepted. Becca promised that both of them would be there this Sunday. I didn’t ask about Mr. John Woodsworth as he was out of town, and even if he would have been there, there was no way he would have accepted this invitation.

Becca and Ed were of the opinion that I should hide my presence in Ed’s life, and Ed should hide the change in his attitude from everyone. They were afraid that if Mr. Woodsworth came to know about any of this somehow, the consequences would be devastating. I concurred thoughtfully. They were right; even I was not sure how my friends would take my friendship with Ed. There were already a lot of things were going on in my life and I didn’t want to mess it up anymore. It was best to keep everything under wraps for now.

My phone buzzed. It was a text from Kev informing me that he was waiting outside. I said my goodbyes and started to walk out the door.

“Zune?” Edward called my name before I could leave his room. I turned around.

“You are my friend because you wanted to be, right? Not just because my mom wants you to be, not because you promised her you would be?” he asked in a fearful voice, wrinkling his eyebrows a bit.

“I’m your friend because I actually want to be, Mr. Arrogant,” I assured him with a genuine smile, the words sounding more serious than they were.

His creased eyebrows relaxed instantly and a relieved smile crept over his face.

When I came out of the Woodsworth’s house, I found Kev waiting for me in Carol’s car. When I got his attention, he gave me a weak, unsure smile. I delivered him my full-fledged smile in return and seeing that, his smile got wider and wider. I got in on the passenger side and he began driving.

“So, you…you read my letter?” he asked hesitantly after sometime.

“Yep,” I replied looking ahead.

“So?”

“So?”

“You are not mad at me now?”

“Dogs get mad. People…they get angry,” I imitated Ed’s words and mentally chuckled.

“Okay, so you are not angry with me anymore?” He amended his question.

Honestly, I don’t think I had any right to be mad…angry with him. If he kissed Joey then I kissed Edward, so we were even, right? So, there’s no need to be get angry or accuse him for the ‘crime’ I had committed too. Technically, I should be the one to apologize to him. I knew he kissed Joey and he was sorry for that but I, I never told him, (and not even planning to do so), what happened between Ed and I. Does that make me less of a human being? Should I tell him about…? NO, no way. I had to remember not to do anything to make things worse.

“No, I’m not,” I responded with an unenthusiastic smile.

“So, we are…we are still…”

“…boyfriends.” I completed for him with an assuring smile.

We didn’t talk much on our way back to my house. I could feel there was an unfamiliar awkwardness between us even after everything was sorted out now. I was sure that he could feel it too. It was like everything was normal but nothing was the same as before. I didn’t think about it further. Probably it was the new normal.

It took Kev and I another three to four days to get our relationship back to the stage where it was before the Hoardle’s incident. He was more caring and more romantic with me now. Jake, Ron, Carol and Kev visited me every day. I got regular messages and calls from Becca and Ed, and I didn’t hear anything from Matthew Rilens. After a while everything was going well, and thankfully things were back to normal.

My friends were not very happy about my mom inviting Ed and his mom to dinner. They were grateful to Edward, (however, they never thanked him), for saving me, but for them he was still bad news. My mom was persistent in having the Woodworth’s at our house for dinner on Sunday. She reasoned that we all should thank them properly which we never did.

At this dinner party a lot of people were invited besides Ed and his mom; Kev and his mom, Ron, Jake, Carol, and…her Uncle Matt. I strictly was not in favor of inviting Mr. Rilens but my mom argued that he would come here as Carol’s Uncle and the person who helped me, not as my father. I had no choice but to agree.

Coincidentally, Sunday was the day after Carol’s eighteenth birthday. She invited us all on her birthday. Mom had the nightshift so she had already informed Carol that she wouldn’t be able to make it. I also wanted to make an excuse but my mom made me understand that I mustn’t jeopardize my friendship with Carol just because of her uncle. I should treat him just like my best friend’s uncle and everything will be alright. I didn’t want her birthday to be spoiled because of me, so I called to tell her I’d be there.

Soon it was Saturday, Carol’s birthday. Jake, Ron, Kev and I decided to meet at the mall where Ron works to buy our gifts for the birthday girl. Jake purchased a beautiful black diary. Ron bought a bracelet with the word ‘friends’ engraved on it. Kev got a big and furry white teddy bear with a birthday card. I bought a book for her titled, ‘Confessions of a Shopaholic’, I was sure she would love it. Later, we also purchased a corsage of jasmine flowers for her.

Around seven in the evening, we were on her doorstep. Kev rang the doorbell. My heart was pounding fast in my chest. I had a feeling that Carol’s uncle would open the door but thankfully my prediction proved wrong when a cheerful Carol greeted us excitedly. She was looking beautiful in a purple top and blue jeans. We hugged, (crushed), her together and chorused, ‘Happy Birthday to You’ to her.

“I wish you guys weren’t so gay,” Carol commented in mock disappointment.

We all laughed softly and went inside. Her uncle was working in the kitchen and as he noticed us entering the house, his gaze fell on me. I immediately looked away. He came out of the kitchen and shook hands with everyone. Then he extended his hands towards me. I knew that every eye was on me. My mom’s words were echoing in my mind, ‘Just treat him like Carol’s uncle and everything will be alright’. It was the best way to handle this complex situation. I didn’t react the way I wanted to; instead, I vocalized three words while shaking hands with him, “Hello, Uncle Matt”. I had no doubt that I surprised everyone. I was not feeling anything towards the man at the moment; no hatred, no anger, nothing. For me he was just a stranger, nothing more than that. Carol’s uncle went back to the kitchen.

Carol was super-excited like a five-year old to cut the cake but when we looked around, there weren’t any decoration up yet, dinner was not ready and the cake was still at the bakery. Since no one else was invited, we decided to distribute the chores. Carol refused doing anything as she was thinking of herself as a princess on her birthday. She sprawled on the couch, began flipping through television channels and munched on chips. Kev was right; she’s such a bitch.

Jake volunteered to help Carol’s uncle in kitchen as he was a great cook, Ron chose to decorate the house, I preferred to take care of the responsibility of setting the dining room table, and Kev opted for getting the cake from the bakery.

Within half an hour everything was done. Dinner was ready. I put everything on the dining room table, leaving space for the cake. Ron was also done with his decorations. Everything was looking perfect but Kev was still missing.

“Where is that fat ass?” Carol asked, turning off the television.

Instead of answering her, I opted for calling Kev.

“Hey, sexy,” he greeted me flirtatiously, as usual.

“Where are you? Everything is ready here. We all are just waiting for you, and fyi: Carol is definitely not in a good mood,” I informed him.

“Tell that bitch I’m coming in just two minutes with her birthday cake and…”

“And what?” I asked suspiciously.

“You’ll know soon.”

Arrrgh…he and his stupid surprises, hmpf. After ten minutes, doorbell rang. Jake opened the door. It was Kev…empty-handed. Carol is going to eat him alive.

“Where’s the cake?” Jake, Carol and I asked in unison.

“I don’t have the cake with me,” he disclosed with a crooked smile.

“What do you mean, ‘I don’t have any cake with me’?” I asked. He was really starting to irk me.

“I think you don’t wanna live anymore, slutty ass,” Carol threatened him.

“Will you say something? And please stop smiling like an idiot,” Ron grumbled.

“I was going to get the cake but then someone called me to say that he also wanted to join Carol’s birthday party and would take care of the cake. So, I’ve been waiting for him and now he’s here,” he divulged, looking at Carol who was totally confused, like the rest of us.

“You have ten seconds to spill everything, after that I’m gonna hang you to my ceiling fan, upside down, DUMBASS!” Carol gave him her final warning.

Stupid Kev giggled and pointed his hands towards the front door. A guy taller than Kev came inside. I must say he was HOT and thankfully, he had the cake. As Carol saw him, I noticed an unusual spark and happiness on her face. It hadn’t taken me another moment to realize who he was.

“DARYL!!” Carol exclaimed and ran towards him.

Daryl put down the cake on the dining room table and Carol squeezed him in a hug.

“I missed you, Carol,” Daryl avowed affectionately.

“Me too,” Carol muttered.

Carol was right; my sixth sense was telling me that this Daryl guy was also interested in her. Carol and Kev introduced him to all of us. He shook hands and hugged us all. I found him to be a very charismatic person.

Mr. Rilens and Daryl embraced like old buddies. I later came to learn that and Daryl and Kev used to be friends with Carol when they started her school. Since then Carol’s uncle was extremely fond of Daryl. They were very close. I don’t know why but I felt…jealous.

Carol asked Daryl about his early arrival as he was about to come next week. Daryl told her that he wanted to surprise everyone. He had just landed in the city two hours ago. He had been admitted into one of the most prestigious photography institutes in the city and he would be here for a whole year. Carol’s face lit up instantly after he told us this.

Later Carol cut the cake and we all attacked her face with it. She protested in a faux manner and told us menacingly that she’ll turn our asses red like monkeys’ asses but we never stopped until half of the cake was on her face. She made her way towards her bedroom to clean up, cursing and threatening us. She got nothing more than our laughs in response.

Jake and I started cleaning up the mess on and around the dining room table. I observed Daryl following Carol in her bedroom. I smiled inwardly.

Carol’s uncle was still in kitchen and Ron and Kev were in the living room, watching television. Within a few minutes, everything was straightened up but Carol and Daryl were still in her room. Jake told me to get them. I walked to her bedroom and knocked on the door instead of barging in because I had a very distinct idea what was going on inside. It took Carol more than a minute to open up the door but when she finally did, I was sure that my estimation was one hundred percent right. She was avoiding my gaze, smiling like a person smiles when they’re in love, and she was blushing like a person blushes after their first kiss.

“What took you so long to open this goddamn door, birthday girl?” I inquired, hiding my smile.

Daryl appeared from behind her.

“Actually, we were playing a video game,” Daryl came up with the lamest excuse I had ever heard.

“Yes. Yes. We were just playing a video game,” Carol agreed immediately, nodding her head like an idiot. She could never be an actress.

“Okay. I believe you guys but Carol darling, the other guys down there waiting for you two are not going to believe that when they’ll witness your lipstick on Daryl’s cheek and just below his lips, and of course the very visible hickey you gave him on his cheekbone,” I mentioned pointing my fingers to each of the affected areas on Daryl’s face attacked by our wildcat and chuckled. Carol’s company had made me so shameless.

Both of them were looking here and there. I had never saw Carol blushing like a normal teenage girl; she was redder than red and Daryl…he was in a much worse condition; poor guy was breathing hard like had ran a mile. A sign of terror was easily traceable on his handsome face. I was enjoying this so much.

“Don’t worry guys. Your secret is safe with me unless you guys want to unveil it on your own. So chill and come downstairs ASAP,” I assured them, “And Daryl, try to clean up or at least hide those love marks before coming down.”

“Where’s the bitch?” Kev asked in a kvetching and impatient tone.

“We are hungry, man,” Ron whimpered.

“And where’s Daryl?” Jake inquired.

“They’re coming. They are…they are just…” I soon had to come up with some believable excuse.

“They are what, Zune?” Kev asked dragging his words.

“They are just checking out Carol’s birthday presents,” I lied and sighed in relief.

Soon, both of them were at the dining room table. There were no lipstick marks on Daryl’s face but he had his hand on his cheekbone to conceal that hickey; no one had paid any attention to that yet.

I was sitting between Kev and Jake. Ron was on Jake’s left side. Carol was sitting across the table from me. Daryl was seated between her and her uncle. Carol’s uncle was quiet most of the time, glancing at me from the corner of his eyes every now and then and as soon as I caught him doing that, he would begin staring at his food intently. I could sense that he was not very comfortable around me because of the obvious reasons. Shortly all of us began our lavish dinner.

“So Carol, which one of all the gifts did you like the most?” Kev asked casually, chewing his food. Carol and Daryl coughed together. Believe me; it was damn hard for me to suppress my laugh. They looked at me and I gave a little shrug of my shoulders.

“Um…um I liked Zune’s gift the most,” she answered unconvincingly and tried to divert her attention towards her food.

“What was the color of the dress Zune bought you, Carol?” Jake asked with a devilish smile. It was my turn to cough. Kev, Ron, and I gave Jake a questioning look. Jake knew that very well that I had bought her a book which was nothing close to being called a dress. I had a feeling that he had a very good idea what was going on in Carol’s bedroom. Innocent Jake was transformed into a fox now and the credit goes again to our very own Ms. Carol Lewis’s amazing company. Carol had no idea that we all had purchased our gifts together. Poor lovebirds; they were so gone.

“B, blue. It is a really nice top. Th, thanks Zune.”

Jake couldn’t hold back his chuckle. Then I joined in. Kev and Ron were looking between Carol and Daryl as if assessing what the hell was going on.

“Carol, Zune got you a book and not one of us had bought you any dress,” Ron informed her.

The lovebirds muttered ‘shit’ together.

Then suddenly the light of truth dawned on the two idiots named Kev and Ron.

“You guys were making out in there, weren’t you?” Kev asked excitedly.

“Shut up, fat ass,” Carol warned him giving him a death glare.

“And Zune saw you guys together, right? And that’s why he was covering up for you guys, isn’t it?” Ron asked for a confirmation with his wide eyes. Jake’s chuckle was turned into a laugh now.

“Ron, I don’t think you have any affection towards your ass,” Carol threatened him gritting her teeth. Daryl nervously lifted a glass of water to drink; but that stupid guy used the same hand which was hiding his hickey. I signaled him to cover up his hickey by touching my cheekbone with wide eyes and a worried look but he didn’t get it.

“What?” Daryl finally asked when he couldn’t understand my signals.

“He’s trying to tell you to hide your hickey which you got while ‘checking out the presents’,” Jake teased, curling his lips evilly. I was sure Carol would kill him today.

“Ahem,” Carol’s uncle cleared his throat. We all had completely forgotten that he was at the table with us. Oooops.

“I think I’m done. I’ll head to my room. Carol and Daryl, when you guys are done with dinner meet me in my bedroom,” he ordered in a calm but determined tone and left the dining area. God knows what was about to happen now. As he left, Carol began chasing Jake first. Jake was running for his life, still giggling. They were running around the dining room table like Tom and Jerry.

“You smartass. I taught you everything, and you asshole used it against your own master. You are so gone Jacob Shawn Mason. I’ll make sure you won’t get home on your legs.” Carol’s continuing threats were making us laugh harder. Now even Daryl was laughing his ass off. Finally, Carol got tired and went towards the living room and collapsed on one of the couches.

“You…you all…are traitors.” Carol began her cursing tirade between her heavy breaths, “You are not my friends, assholes. Oh God, What will Uncle…Uncle Matt do now? I’m so gone.” She was actually looking very nervous.

I dropped down on my knees in front of her.

“Look at me, Carol,” I insisted. She looked at me irritably.

“You always say he’s the nicest person on this earth. If he’s half as nice as you brag about, then have faith in him. He’ll definitely understand you and your feelings. So, don’t get scared, just go, talk to him and take your newly found boyfriend with you,” I suggested her holding her hands. She was looking at me intently and I knew what was going through her mind. She must have been thinking I was telling her to trust a person whom I would never show my faith. She smiled and kissed my forehead.

“Let’s go, Daryl,” she called. Daryl took her hand in his. The rest of us started hootin’ and hollerin’. Both of them smiled and blushed, looking at their clasped hands and made their way to Carol’s uncle’s bedroom.

It’s been half an hour and the four of us were waiting anxiously for them in the living room.

“What do you think is going in there?” Ron asked nervously, looking at Kev.

“Uncle Matt really loves Daryl. I don’t think there will be any problem for him accepting their relationship,” Kev remarked.

“I’m surprised to find out about Carol and Daryl,” Jake confessed with a slight smile.

“Yeah, me too. Carol and Daryl knew each other for a long time now but I had no idea when they began falling for each other,” Kev conceded.

“Carol told me once about Daryl,” I confessed and immediately felt three pair of accusing eyes on me. “What? Carol told me not to say a word to you guys; she wanted to tell you all this by herself. Actually, she wasn’t sure about Daryl’s feelings so she wanted to be confirmed that Daryl felt the same way as she did,” I informed them in a defensive tone.

“I guess now everyone would be sure, including Carol, about Daryl’s feelings for her,” Jake reckoned.

“I’m happy for her. Now there’s someone special in her life too and there can’t be a better person than Daryl for her,” Kev asserted with a fond smile.

Kev wasn’t the only one who was happy; we were all very happy for her and were just praying that her uncle could understand her feelings and acknowledge her relationship with Daryl.

We were still discussing what might have been going on inside when they came out of the room, holding each other’s hands and smiling a broad smile on their happy faces. The four of us rushed towards them and before we could ask anything, Carol told us everything on her own. Her uncle was very cool and happy about her dating Daryl, but there were certain rules he had which were very easy to comply with. I was sure her uncle had also enlightened them with some sex education, (as if Carol needs it), which every adult gives to their children, but they were not telling us that part. The four of us hugged them tightly and began hopping for joy. We all were very happy.

After gossiping non-stop for an hour; we decided that it was time to say good-bye. We all hugged Carol, wished her happy birthday once again and left.

Ron and Jake went together while I left with Kev and Daryl. Kev and Daryl were like blood-brothers and best friends. Excitement never left Kev’s face while talking to his cousin. Daryl was very nice. He was babbling about Carol the whole way, he was feeling blessed to have Carol as his girlfriend. Honestly, I hadn’t thought in my wildest dreams that any guy would say such nice things about Carol. Don’t take me wrong, Carol’s a darling but she’s the most non-girly girl I had ever met.

They dropped me at my house and went to Kev’s home as Daryl would be living with him for the year.

The next morning, mom woke me up at six. She made us breakfast and then we left to go grocery shopping after we decided what was on the menu for tonight. Mom asked me if Carol’s uncle tried to talk to me, I just shook my head in no. We didn’t talk about him any further. On my way to the store I called Carol and Jake to come over early so they could help us out. Within two hours we were back at home. I helped my mom in doing daily chores and then fixed us something to eat.

Jake and Carol arrived a bit later and after having lunch together, the three of us went to help mom in the kitchen. Mom was marinating chicken and was planning to bake a chocolate cake. Carol was peeling potatoes in order to fry them and she was taking care of the salad. Jake was preparing lasagna; he’s the best at it, and I was cooking pasta, garlic bread, and an exotic sweet and sour soup.

Later Jake and I were in the garden setting up the seating arrangements. We moved tables and couches out there. We put two rectangular tables on the opposite sides of the garden and placed three couches around each of them. One side was for the parents and another one was for us.

All the preparations were finished by seven p.m. and the four of us were exhausted. We sprawled out on one of the couches. After a while Jake made us coffee; he’s so sweet. We talked casually for another hour and then went to change. Carol and Jake had brought their clothes to change into.

When the clock showed eight thirty p.m. we all were ready to welcome our guests. Daryl, Kev and his mother were the first ones to come. My mom and Stella hit it off instantly. They were sitting on the other side of the garden joking and laughing like old friends. Carol and Daryl were nowhere in sight. I guess they were ‘playing video game’ somewhere. Jake, Kev and I were in the living room watching, “She’s the Man” on HBO. A few minutes later Ron arrived and Jake’s face lit up instantly. Soon, they also disappeared in my bedroom. Pervs. Kev and I moved towards the garden.

I was eagerly waiting for Becca and Ed. They were still not here. I texted Ed.

Where r u?

My phone buzzed seconds later.

We are almost there. Can’t wait to see you:)

I couldn’t hide my smile.

“Whose message is making my hot boyfriend smile?” Kev asked with a charming smile.

“My new boyfriend,” I replied playfully. His face tightened immediately and he averted his gaze.

“Oh come on, Kev, I was just joking,” I clarified raising my brows.

“I don’t like these kinds of jokes, Zune,” he asserted, looking at me in a damn serious manner.

“Okay. Okay. I’m sorry. Now cheer up.” I apologized holding my hands up in defense and I got what I wanted…his charismatic smile.

“Everything comes with a price,” he stated hiding his smile with a naughty smirk.

“And?”

“And if you are really sorry and want my forgiveness then…I want a kiss,” he demanded in his lustful voice.

“I’m not so desperate for your forgiveness. Keep it with you,” I informed him in an easy tone with a fake smile.

“Come on. Look at Daryl and Carol, they are just a day-old couple and they are barely able to keep their hands off each other. And look at us, we are together for over a month and still haven’t shared a single kiss. That’s so cruel,” he kvetched.

“Oh, please Kev…”

Before I could say anything else, the doorbell rang. I walked hastily towards the front door and opened it excitedly. Much to my anticipation, Becca and Ed were on the other side.

I took them to the garden and served them cold drinks. Ron, Jake, Daryl and Carol had also come out of their love spots and were gathered around us. Except Stella, my mom, and I, no one was actually happy at the arrival of Becca and Ed and I was sure they also felt that but acted as normally as they could.

After exchanging pleasantries, my mom immediately took Becca with her to the parents’ side of the garden where Stella was already seated. Soon the three of them seemed quite comfortable with each other. But when I looked around myself, I thought I was in a funeral; everyone was quiet and glaring at Ed except for Jake. He hesitantly came forward and extended his hand towards Ed.

“Hey, Edward.”

I was surprised. Out of my all friends he was the last person I thought would come forward to greet Ed. Jake was tortured by him the most but he still was trying to make him feel comfortable here. Jake’s extended hand not only astounded me but all my other friends, including Ed. Ed cautiously drew out his hand from the pocket of his jeans and shook Jake’s hand with an awestruck smile.

“I don’t have the words to thank you for saving Zune,” Jake spoke with gratitude.

Ed gave him a modest smile. After Jake, everyone else came forward to thank Ed; first Ron, then Daryl and Carol and finally Kevin. After standing before Ed for a whole minute, shooting him with his threatening looks, Kev shook hands with him. It was clear that Kev still hated Ed like before, but I was sure that when he met the new Ed after our school resumes, they would soon become good friends.

After that awkward ‘thank you’ session, we all sat on the couch; on one side were Ron and Jake, on their left were Daryl and Carol and on the last couch were Ed, Kev, and I. I was seated between Kev and Ed. Kev was shooting daggers at Ed with his eyes. I was feeling uncomfortable but Ed was unaffected by all this. All this time his eyes were glued on me.

“Why’s this asshole looking at you like you are his favorite dish?” Kev asked in a murmur. As if I knew the answer.

“Shut up, Kev,” I hushed him, giving him a warning look.

A few minutes later the doorbell rang again. I found it as a chance to escape this awkward situation. I bolted from my seat and ran towards the main door muttering, ‘I’ll get it’.

Mr. Matthew Rilens was on the other side. We stood on the either side of door for a few seconds looking at each other in the absence of anything to say.

“Welcome…Uncle Matt,” I whispered unenthusiastically and moved to my right to give him enough space to enter. Once he was in the garden, every word, argument, teasing, joking and laughter that was emitted, stopped abruptly. All eyes were on him. My mom stood up and came towards Carol’s uncle.

“Welcome Mr. Rilens,” my mom welcomed him like a noble host.

“Th…thank you,” he responded and handed her a bouquet of narcissus. She took it and invited him to join the parents. He uncertainly followed her. A few minutes later I noticed Mr. Rilens and my mom were ignoring each other’s gaze and any kind of conversation. Mom was chatting with Becca while Mr. Rilens was talking with Stella.

When I turned towards my friends, I found everyone was again wrapped up in their little conversations, leaving Ed all alone. Daryl, Ron and Kev were talking about soccer. Carol and Jake were making some plans to hang out tomorrow. I walked towards Ed and sat on his right. My presence brought a relieved smile on his ‘I-am-all-alone’ face.

“Feeling awkward?” I asked handing him a second glass of a cold drink.

“A little,” Ed answered honestly.

“Come with me, then. I have to fix up everything on the dining room table. Help me out,” I offered and he gave me an ear to ear smile. I took that as a yes.

Ed followed me to the kitchen. I brought out the cake from the fridge and started icing it and instructed Ed to put the cooked food in the oven, one by one, to get them warm.

“I guess you had put a little bit extra salt in this soup,” Ed mentioned.

I shifted my gaze from my cake to Ed.

“I just tasted it a bit and…” Ed trailed off shrugging his shoulders.

I took a spoon of my sweet and sour soup and tasted it. He was right. It tasted rather salty. Oh gosh, I should have tasted it before.

“This soup is kind of a waste now. Shit,” I cursed in frustration.

“Don’t worry, we’ll fix it,” he consoled me but I knew we couldn’t do anything about it right now. Oh crap. I shook my head in disappointment.

“Zune, I told you we can…”

“We can’t do anything about it, Ed. This soup is ruined now. I should have tasted it before but as usual I…huh…I’m such an idiot. I, I think we should throw it out.” I had no hope that this soup could be turned into something edible.

“Give me ten minutes and if you still think it would be better to toss it, then I won’t stop you, but at least let me try once,” Ed insisted and I mouthed ‘okay’ without expecting any miracle to happen.

“Do you have wheat flour?” he asked raising his brows.

I found it on the uppermost rack in a large container.

“Here you go.” I handed it to him and asked, “What are you going to do?”

“You’ll know soon enough.”

Ed made proper soft dough of some flour with the help of water and made many tiny balls of it; then he put the soup on a burning flame and added those balls in it.

“What the hell are you doing?” I asked incredulously.

“Sshhh.” He shushed me putting his finger on my lips, never shifting his eyes from the soup.

A few minutes later he took out those balls using a ladle and then turned off the stove. He proudly ordered me to taste it. I took a spoonful of it, blew a few light breaths to cool it down, and put it in my mouth. I had no idea what he had done to this soup but it tasted much better, at least it was now edible.

“It tastes so much better now. What have you done to it?” I asked with a relieved smile.

“I just…”

“Zune?”

Before Ed could say another word, Kev came in the kitchen calling my name and as soon as he caught Ed’s presence, his eyes narrowed.

“What the hell is he doing here with you?”

“Kev!” I gave him my ‘shut-your-mouth’ look.

He got my cue to behave himself.

“I, I mean if you had needed any help, you could have asked me,” he mentioned in a much calmer voice, looking back and forth between Ed and I.

“Actually, he was getting bored so I told him to help me,” I explained pouring the soup in a serving bowl.

“Oh. Well, I guess you could use an extra pair of hands, then,” Kev suggested while coming on my side.

“Ok, why not? Can you please set all these dishes on the dining room table?”

He nodded, giving an unreadable look to Ed and began doing as I asked. Ed excused himself to use the bathroom. As soon as Kev saw him leaving kitchen, he came to me.

“I don’t like him anywhere near you,” Kev chided unreasonably.

“Kev, come on. He’s my guest,” I said nonchalantly, cutting the cake in equal rectangular shapes.

“Zune, you don’t get it. During this whole evening whenever I saw him he was gawking at you and there was a strange smile on his face. I don’t know, I mean, he’s a homophobe but he was…”

“You are just overreacting Kev,” I cut him off looking directly at him.

“No, I’m not. Look, I know I’m not making any sense and you’ll probably laugh at me for thinking like this, but I think…” he trailed off leaving his sentence hanging in air.

I gave him an annoyed questioning look.

“Zune, he’s a homophobe…”

“I know that.”

“Will you please listen to me?” he whispered knitting his brows. What the hell was going on in his mind? I took a deep breath and he continued, “I was saying…he’s homophobe but he still helped you more than once. He claimed to hate gays but still comes to your house at your invitation. He says we are evil-doers but still looks at you and smiles at you like…like…ah…let it be. I guess you are right I’m…I’m just overreacting.” He completed in a perplexed tone like he was battling with himself on something.

“What is it, Kev? You know you can tell me anything, right?” I reminded him. He nodded with a slight smile.

I had no idea why he seemed so disturbed or what was going through his mind, but I could think of only one thing that could kick those ugly tension lines from his brows. I grabbed his collar, pulled him towards me and kissed him, our first kiss, in my kitchen. My sudden movement caught him off-guard. His eyes were bulging out in shock but soon his nerves calmed down. He closed his eyes and began responding to my kiss. He drew me closer with his strong arms around me, holding me as close as possible. My hands were still grabbing his collar. A soft, gentle kiss gradually turned into a passionate kiss. I moaned when I felt the tip of his tongue sliding along my bottom lip. I opened my mouth a little and his tongue immediately went in and collided with mine. He tasted like fresh peppermint.

“Wow!”

Kev and I broke away abruptly because of my mom’s squeaky exclamation. Kev’s face was pale like he had seen a ghost.

“Mom! What are you doing here?” I asked, ignoring her gaze and switching off the oven. Kev decided to put the used dishes in the kitchen sink with his shaky hands.

“Nothing as exciting as you guys were doing here,” mom teased us and chuckled like a school girl who had just got something new to gossip about. She was again on her mission to embarrass us to death. Great.

“Mom!” I gave her a disapproving look in a warning tone.

“Oh come on hon, don’t mom me. You know I have never seen two guys kissing each other but thanks to you guys, today my dream came true. Could you guys please do it one more time for my sake, please?” she pouted like she was asking us for her favorite lollipop. She’s impossible.

“I need to go to bathroom.” Kev slowly, and without making much noise, snuck out of the kitchen to save himself from more embarrassment.

“Go grab your own gay porn to satisfy your fantasies, mom. We are not gonna play the role of porn stars for you,” I barked with a fake smile and went out of the kitchen with the last dish. I heard my mom’s cruel laugh behind me. She so loves to torture me and my boyfriend, and I so hate her for that.

Everyone at our dining room table was separated into small groups. On one side of the table were Edward, Becca, my mom, Mr. Rilens, and Stella. On the other side were Jake, Ron, Daryl, Kev, Carol and I. Ed and I were seated on opposite ends, across the table from each other. My mom and Becca were chatting about a mall they were planning to go to shop next weekend. Carol’s uncle and Stella were talking about our school. Kev was gushing about something to Carol. I think he was talking about our first kiss. Whenever our eyes met, he grinned like a fool in love.

I was sure all my other friends were also going on and on about something but had no idea about what. Only Ed and I were the ones who were quiet and sharing smiles every other minute. Suddenly my phone buzzed. It was a message from Ed. I gave him a questioning look and read the message.

I wanna tok 2 u abt sumthing.

I shifted slightly so that my right hand was under the table holding my phone so that Carol, who was sitting to my very left, wouldn’t notice anything. When I was sure that she was very much drowned in a conversation with my boyfriend, I tapped out a reply to Ed.

Abt wot?

He looked at his phone and hastily typed with a smile.

Abt my third promise. Remember: meeting everyday-for 4 hrs-until our school resumes. I wanna meet u tmorrow.

I : R u sure? I mean…

Ed : was never so sure abt anything be4.

I glanced at him after reading his last text and smiled. He smiled back.

I : when n where??

Ed : 10 am at st. thomas’s church?

I : m fne wid it.

Ed : okay.

I : okay and btw thnx 4 helping me out 2day in the kitchen.

In response he nodded and gave me a genuine smile.

Everyone loved the food, especially the soup. Ed and I shared a knowing smile. After dessert, our guests began to depart. Daryl, Carol, Stella and Kev were the first ones to leave. I was wondering why Carol’s uncle didn’t leave with her. Later, Ron and Jake left, and after them Becca and Ed. Now it was just my mom, Carol’s uncle and I left in the house. The three of us were in our living room. My mom and I were waiting for him to leave, but he didn’t make any move that suggested he wanted to go.

After waiting for a few minutes for something to happen, I sighed and made my way towards the kitchen.

“I want to talk to both of you,” Carol’s uncle muttered in an urgent tone. I stopped in my tracks and turned around. He was looking down. Then I looked at my mom who was gazing at him expressionlessly with glistening eyes.

“We don’t want to listen to anything, Mr. Rilens. You may leave,” I concluded in a standoffish manner. My voice sounded hollow to me. I had no idea what I was feeling.

“But I want to,” my mom asserted in an emotionless voice. Her eyes never left his face.

“Mom, but…” I tried to interrupt her but she cut me off.

“I have waited for a long time to know what excuse he would make for leaving his girlfriend…his PREGNANT girlfriend all alone, on her own, and for never looking back to find out what happened to her or their unborn child. I really want to know. So tell me, what do you want to talk about after so many years, Mr. Rilens? Please tell me,” my mom demanded in a quavering voice. It was getting impossible for her to hold back her tears. He didn’t say anything.

“TELL ME, DAMMIT!” my mom bawled, all of a sudden losing her patience. I never saw my mom so angry, so disturbed. I was scared.

“Jenny…” he began but my mom interrupted.

“It’s Jennifer Williams,” my mom scowled and corrected him.

“Jennifer, can we all please sit down for a while and talk? Please?” he actually begged.

Mom signaled for me to sit down. We all were seated on different sides of the coffee table. My mom and Mr. Rilens were facing each other. I was on the left side of my mom and on the right side of Mr. Rilens. After sitting mute for few seconds, he continued.

“When you told me you were pregnant, I was scared like hell, like a typical coward boyfriend. I was not ready for that responsibility. I was just twenty-one…”

“And she was just nineteen,” I reminded him.

“I know, but at that moment I was selfish and thought just about myself, my life and my dreams. I suggested you to abort your child but you refused. The best way to get away from all these things was to…”

“Leave me and the city,” my mom completed for him in a sarcastic but sad voice.

“Yes. I came to this city and began living my life with my friend George and his wife Katie, but I wasn’t able to forget you or our love. I never got over you. I, I always loved you and that’s the reason I never got married. A year later I went to your house looking for you but you had already moved somewhere else with your parents. I tried every possible way to get any information about you but I never succeeded. After a few years, George and Katie died in a car accident and I got custody of Carol, but I never stopped searching for you. I know I should have stayed with you when you needed me the most, but I ran away like a coward and I still regret that. It was the worst decision of my life, believe me. I know it won’t be easy for you, but please, please forgive me if you could.” He finished his explanation. During his speech, his eyes never stopped staring at the table.

“What do you want?” My mom composed herself and asked him with simple directness. I could see that those painful memories were haunting her again. I wanted all this to end soon.

“I want forgiveness from both of you and I…” he slowly lifted his eyes to look at my mom, “…want to…I was thinking that maybe we…all three of us could…you know…start over again. I know this can’t happen all in one day; it’ll take time, and I’m, I’m ready for it, but I can understand if you don’t want to forgive me and never want see my face again,” he answered hesitantly.

My mom stood up and walked over to him. They both were peering at each other as if communicating through their eyes. My mind had already stopped working. I was clueless what was about to happen and what I really wanted to happen. I knew my mom still loved him but would it be a good idea to trust him again? Would it be that easy to start all over again after so many years? I left this decision to my mom and soon she made up her mind.

She slapped him. The sound of that slap echoed in the living room. My mom’s fingerprints were clearly visible on his left cheek.

“Get lost,” my mom commanded in a stern voice. Tears were freely rolling down her cheeks. She seemed wounded, helpless, and angry. Mr. Rilens was not successful in hiding the hurt look on his face either. His eyes were also brimming with tears. He silently stood and stepped towards the front door. He was about to leave when he turned back.

“Sorry,” he whispered and I saw a tear escape his left eye. He held his gaze on my mom for a few seconds and then he finally left.

My mom’s eyes were still on the front door as if wishing that he would somehow appear through that door once again, but it never happened.

Suddenly my mom jumped out of her seat and ran outside. I automatically went after her.

“MOM! MOM!” I yelled behind her unable to figure out what she was doing.

We were out of the house now. Mr. Rilens was about to climb into his car when my mom shouted with all the strength in her.

“MATT! STOP!”

He stopped abruptly and turned around. When he saw my mom running towards him, a relieved smile came over his face. His eyes were still wet with tears. My mom ran to him and kissed him aggressively as if punishing him for something. He was kissing her back, holding her tightly against his body.

I was just looking at them with my mouth wide open. I was shocked and confused like hell.

Minutes later when their never-ending kiss ended, my mom grabbed his collar.

“This time, if you ever dare think about leaving me, I swear Mr. Matthew Robert Rilens, I’ll kill you,” she threatened him.

He chuckled slightly and wiped her tears with his thumbs.

“I’ll never ever do that to you again Jenny, I promise. I promise.” They again began kissing each other insanely.

WHAT THE HELL WAS GOING ON?????

 

TBC.

Please tell me what do you think about this chapter.
THANK YOU LISA:)
Copyright © 2017 sacredlove; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 8
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Can things get any more complicated for Zune? The poor guy gets tossed out of

a tornado into a minefield! He loves Kevin, but can't ignore Edward, and that's

going to be sticky at best. Even if it works out, then there's Edward's asshole father

to contend with, and that won't be pretty. Suddenly 'Uncle Matt' looks to be coming

back into the picture. I see more stormy weather ahead...

Link to comment

Whoa man! you ended that chapter at an anxious moment. Poor Zune, i can say his life is going to more messy than it is already. Crazy friends and mom, Loving boyfriend Kev, Intriguing friend (or maybe more than that) Ed and now to add on his problems his long forgotten father, get him a break dude, lol.

I'm enjoying your story a lot and waiting for a lot more angst and drama, hehehe. Update soon.

Link to comment
On 03/23/2013 10:07 AM, Stephen said:
Can things get any more complicated for Zune? The poor guy gets tossed out of

a tornado into a minefield! He loves Kevin, but can't ignore Edward, and that's

going to be sticky at best. Even if it works out, then there's Edward's asshole father

to contend with, and that won't be pretty. Suddenly 'Uncle Matt' looks to be coming

back into the picture. I see more stormy weather ahead...

You are right, Stephen. There's more stormy weather ahead. Zune's life would take many turns and twists. After two chapters his life won't be the same again so just wait and watch.

 

Thanks a lot for you review, Stephen. It means a lot to me.

Link to comment
On 03/23/2013 02:01 PM, silentdreamer said:
Whoa man! you ended that chapter at an anxious moment. Poor Zune, i can say his life is going to more messy than it is already. Crazy friends and mom, Loving boyfriend Kev, Intriguing friend (or maybe more than that) Ed and now to add on his problems his long forgotten father, get him a break dude, lol.

I'm enjoying your story a lot and waiting for a lot more angst and drama, hehehe. Update soon.

You have no idea Rajat. Zune's life is gonna be more messy. He'll go through hell. I'm glad you had a nice time reading it. Your Pm's and reviews make me really happy, Thanks a lot for your kind words:)
Link to comment

Wow, what total chaos! I am so curious about this "thing" that seems to be there between Edward and Zune. There is definitely chemistry rearing it's head. Kev better stay on his toes.

So now Zune is going to have to decide and deal with how he feels about his mom and Uncle Matt renewing their relationship. He has a lot on his plate right now and that makes him pretty vulnerable.

Great chapter Sacred! :2thumbs:

Link to comment

I am so glad Carol has Daryl! lol Carol and Daryl! That cracks me up! :) :)

 

I LOVE Zune's mom! She is so funny; such a fangirl! ;) And THEIR FIRST KISS!!!! Woot! :) hehe

 

Ok, so maybe Kevin did redeem himself. I was all set on hating him as I've been doing througout the last chapter, but this one has him explaining himself in a nice love note. So maybe I forgive him just a tad......although I REALLY do like Edward. =)

 

Hmmm, Uncle/Father Matt finally came clean. But can Zune and his mom trust him again? Or at least his mom, since Zune never knew him to begin with.

 

Hahah, "Dogs get mad, people get angry", hmmmm, where have I seen that before? heheheh

 

Another awesome chapter sacred! :) I'm looking forward to Zune and Ed's 'meeting'.

Link to comment
On 03/24/2013 02:32 AM, joann414 said:
Wow, what total chaos! I am so curious about this "thing" that seems to be there between Edward and Zune. There is definitely chemistry rearing it's head. Kev better stay on his toes.

So now Zune is going to have to decide and deal with how he feels about his mom and Uncle Matt renewing their relationship. He has a lot on his plate right now and that makes him pretty vulnerable.

Great chapter Sacred! :2thumbs:

Thanks a lot Jo Ann for your review.

 

The 'thing' between Ed and Zune would grow in the two chapters. Next chapter would all about them. But there's more to come for Zune.

 

Keep reading Jo Ann, I love your reviews. Take Care:)

Link to comment
On 03/24/2013 03:31 AM, Gulab Jamun said:
Great chapter! Zune's mom is cool, I am not sure I would forgive so easily. Looking forward for more.

GJ

She hasn't forgiven him yet, she just gave him a second chance. I'm glad you are enjoying reading this GJ.

 

Thanks a lot for your review:)

Link to comment
On 03/24/2013 01:50 PM, Lisa said:
I am so glad Carol has Daryl! lol Carol and Daryl! That cracks me up! :) :)

 

I LOVE Zune's mom! She is so funny; such a fangirl! ;) And THEIR FIRST KISS!!!! Woot! :) hehe

 

Ok, so maybe Kevin did redeem himself. I was all set on hating him as I've been doing througout the last chapter, but this one has him explaining himself in a nice love note. So maybe I forgive him just a tad......although I REALLY do like Edward. =)

 

Hmmm, Uncle/Father Matt finally came clean. But can Zune and his mom trust him again? Or at least his mom, since Zune never knew him to begin with.

 

Hahah, "Dogs get mad, people get angry", hmmmm, where have I seen that before? heheheh

 

Another awesome chapter sacred! :) I'm looking forward to Zune and Ed's 'meeting'.

'Dogs get mad, people get angry', hmm...let me see who told me this. Oh yes that was my amazing Beta...hehehe. Thanks Lisa for this and for your review and for everything.

 

Next chapter would be all about Ed and Zune's meetings. I hope you would enjoy that too. Take Care:)

Link to comment

Carol and Daryl were soooo cute together, that scene with the lipstick and hickeys was so much fun, I couldn't help laughing. And the cake situation, and Daryl the hottie, I want him. Hehe :)

 

The letter from Kev was also really sweet, the way he kept repeating don't tear this up, I hope you're still reading this, poor Kev, I actually forgave him as well for the previous night and the horrible ending to a perfectly good date. A lot happens in this chapter, I can't believe Zune's mom! I mean, I dig the slap and the get out of my house, that made a lot of sense, but then the running after the guy and happily ever after....she needs meds.

Link to comment
On 05/04/2013 05:07 AM, lilansui said:
Carol and Daryl were soooo cute together, that scene with the lipstick and hickeys was so much fun, I couldn't help laughing. And the cake situation, and Daryl the hottie, I want him. Hehe :)

 

The letter from Kev was also really sweet, the way he kept repeating don't tear this up, I hope you're still reading this, poor Kev, I actually forgave him as well for the previous night and the horrible ending to a perfectly good date. A lot happens in this chapter, I can't believe Zune's mom! I mean, I dig the slap and the get out of my house, that made a lot of sense, but then the running after the guy and happily ever after....she needs meds.

I guess I agree that Zune's mom needs med, lol. She's very impulsive but I hope she won't regret her decision in future or would she? well, there's still lot to come.
Link to comment

I really hate what is happening here, but I can't stop reading!!! Kev is gonna be so hurt. I have a lot of sympathy for him because the same type situation happened to me with my ex.

I hate that all these reviews seem to be taking Zune's side in all this. I think he's an asshole for not telling Kev the truth.

Link to comment
On 03/25/2014 10:30 AM, Gene63 said:
I really hate what is happening here, but I can't stop reading!!! Kev is gonna be so hurt. I have a lot of sympathy for him because the same type situation happened to me with my ex.

I hate that all these reviews seem to be taking Zune's side in all this. I think he's an asshole for not telling Kev the truth.

I agree with you. Zune is wrong but he's also a human being, he's not perfect, he can make mistakes though Kev didn't deserve this. Things will get more complicated from here.

 

Thanks for the review.

Link to comment

WOW, I can't believe how much patience Kev has with Zune. Zune is a kid and only human. He starts out in this story with stellar qualities and is now practicing deception and dishonesty with his mother, his boyfriend, and his friends. He is not using any caution has he pursues a friendship (which has to be kept a dirty little secret) with an individual that he knows to be both verbally and physically abusive, willing to steal a kiss from someone that is in another relationship (cheaters), in denial and confused. There are plenty of warning signs here and obviously Zune is not oblivious to them yet continues to forge ahead in his deception. Edward's mother sent Edward to Zunes house knowing of Edward's abusive tendencies. Her concern for Zune's safety in non-existent as she has no way of knowing her son will not become volatile in this meeting. If Zune is going to pursue this, can he at least find the balls to admit that he is just a little lying weasel to Kev's face?

And now the issue with Matt. Zune's wacky mom may still be in love with him, but Zune does not know the man and has never had any type of relationship whatsoever with him. No one can possibly expect Zune to instantly drop his resentment and embrace a complete stranger. If Zune feels so inclined, he should take his turn and let out some of that anger.

Link to comment
On 11/19/2014 09:15 AM, sammiam said:
WOW, I can't believe how much patience Kev has with Zune. Zune is a kid and only human. He starts out in this story with stellar qualities and is now practicing deception and dishonesty with his mother, his boyfriend, and his friends. He is not using any caution has he pursues a friendship (which has to be kept a dirty little secret) with an individual that he knows to be both verbally and physically abusive, willing to steal a kiss from someone that is in another relationship (cheaters), in denial and confused. There are plenty of warning signs here and obviously Zune is not oblivious to them yet continues to forge ahead in his deception. Edward's mother sent Edward to Zunes house knowing of Edward's abusive tendencies. Her concern for Zune's safety in non-existent as she has no way of knowing her son will not become volatile in this meeting. If Zune is going to pursue this, can he at least find the balls to admit that he is just a little lying weasel to Kev's face?

And now the issue with Matt. Zune's wacky mom may still be in love with him, but Zune does not know the man and has never had any type of relationship whatsoever with him. No one can possibly expect Zune to instantly drop his resentment and embrace a complete stranger. If Zune feels so inclined, he should take his turn and let out some of that anger.

First of all thanks a lot for the review and letting me know what you feel about the story so far.

 

Your frustration towards Zune is understandable. You are right Zune is just a kid and a human that's the reason he can’t be perfect even if he wanted to be. That’s what I wanted to show through this character. No one can be perfect even if he wanted to be; everyone has flaws and Zune is no exception. He is making and will continue to make some stupid decisions in the coming chapters and he have to pay for them big time. Zune is not telling anyone about Edward because he know no one will approve of their ‘friendship’ and also, the thrill Edward brings to his life is probably stopping him from doing so. His new habit of hiding truth from everyone will bring drastic results in the later chapters. Zune is going to admit the truth but it’ll be damn late till then.

 

From the very beginning I showed Edward as a bully, an abusive guy but in previous chapters ‘The Portrait’ and ‘Friends? Friends’, I tried to show the other side of him, the real him though it doesn’t change the fact that he’s not a saint either.

 

And if you think Kev is a saint and had committed no mistakes then you’ll be surprised to know about him in coming chapters. Any of these three characters is not perfect.

 

Edward’s mother Becca knew about his son’s tendencies that's why she also knew that this is not the actual Edward and Zune is a hope to her. Somehow she’s sure that Edward won’t hurt Zune because the effect Zune had on Edward had no one had in a very long time, not since Stephen (Edward’s best friend).

 

Zune’s mom Jenny is quite impulsive and she’ll regret her decision (in coming chapters) about Matt. You’re right Zune should let out his anger on Matt and you’ll see some of it in the next chapter. You would be able to find well-deserved bitterness and anger in Zune for Matt.

 

Once again thank you for your views on the story so far. I really appreciate it. Take Care.

Link to comment

Zune is a little naive or oblivious if Kevin can tell that despite the fact that Edward comes off as a homophobe he seems to have feelings for Zune. On one hand I wish Kevin had told him that but I figure Zune would have just told him he was being ridiculous so it’s probably better he didn’t as Zune may have gotten mad at him for being jealous. Kevin has a sordid history and is far from perfect yet as stated in above comments Zune’s lies don’t make any logical sense except for the fact deep down he’s attracted to Edward so he fears Kevin finding out they’re spending time together. I mean he was smiling and so happy Edward was coming over in this chapter and then made that tasteless joke about it being a text from his new boyfriend which sounds like foreshadowing. I think Kevin is acting too hostile towards Edward considering he saved Zune multiple times but considering he isn’t oblivious to the looks Edward is giving Zune some of his hostility is likely based on suspicions & jealousy.

Link to comment
On 8/4/2018 at 7:04 AM, NimirRaj said:

Zune is a little naive or oblivious if Kevin can tell that despite the fact that Edward comes off as a homophobe he seems to have feelings for Zune. On one hand I wish Kevin had told him that but I figure Zune would have just told him he was being ridiculous so it’s probably better he didn’t as Zune may have gotten mad at him for being jealous. Kevin has a sordid history and is far from perfect yet as stated in above comments Zune’s lies don’t make any logical sense except for the fact deep down he’s attracted to Edward so he fears Kevin finding out they’re spending time together. I mean he was smiling and so happy Edward was coming over in this chapter and then made that tasteless joke about it being a text from his new boyfriend which sounds like foreshadowing. I think Kevin is acting too hostile towards Edward considering he saved Zune multiple times but considering he isn’t oblivious to the looks Edward is giving Zune some of his hostility is likely based on suspicions & jealousy.

This suspicioun, this jealousy and this supressed feelings and knowing looks would serve as a complete receipe of disaster.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..