Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

One Moonlit Night - 12. Chapter 12

Chapter Twelve

The Thanksgiving holiday over, we all got back into our regular routines. I added a job to my itinerary in order to accumulate some money for Christmas. I worked a few hours on the weekends helping in the stock room at J.C. Penny’s. Scotty was busy practicing piano as he had quite a few venues at which he would be playing during the holiday season. He also would be a featured artist at the Christmas concert for the Cincinnati Philharmonic Orchestra. What free time we could spend together, we made sure it was quality time and not just for sexual gratification. As our relationship was a long-standing one, we never lost sight of what our closeness meant to us. Long before a physical aspect came into being, we were great friends.

Our school’s wrestling team remained on top in our district and it appeared we had a shot at taking the State Wrestling Championship title in our division. Bobby continued to dominate in his weight class and got to wrestle many more times. With only a few weeks remaining in the season, he had lost just one match and that was by only one point. He and Chris Kreider continued to remain very close and chummy.

One evening while Scotty and I were studying, my mom yelled that I had a phone call. It was Chris. He seemed somewhat nervous but asked if he could speak to me privately after wrestling practice the next day. I asked if he cared to give me a hint as to what it was about, and he said he would rather wait until we were face to face. Curious, I hung up and related my conversation to Scotty. Other than wrestling, Chris and I hadn’t had much of a relationship. We were friendly; but not what one would call bosom buddies. I really didn’t have a clue as to what I would be facing.

That next day after practice, I overheard Chris telling Bobby he had something to do and he would stop by his place in about an hour, if that was okay. Bobby, who seemed a little disappointed that Chris wouldn’t be accompanying him home, said that would be fine. He then somberly sauntered out of the locker room. Chris came up to me and asked, “Uh, Bash, do ya’ wanna’ go to Millie’s Coffee Hut? Uh, or we could just sit outside by the play area.”

“Well, it’s freezing outside so I choose Millie’s.”

We set off for Millie’s after I called my mom at the hospital to let her know I wouldn’t be home for about an hour. I explained someone wanted to talk to me for a little while, though I didn’t know about what. She said she didn’t want me out too late as it was a school night. I assured her I wouldn’t, with a promise to call her when I did get home.

Once seated in a back booth away from other customers, Chris—a very nervous Chris said, “Uh, Bash, I uh, well, uh, I gotta’ ask you to, uh, well, no matter what I say tonight, uh, I wanna’ ask you not to say anything to anyone. Especially if I am, uh, way wrong about something, of course, then you just might pummel me half to death,” he nervously giggled.

Seeing how apprehensive and nervous he was I tried employing some levity by remarking humorously, “Well, Chris, I’ve seen jack hammers that didn’t make people shake as much as you are. I promise, one that what we say here will go no farther than here, no matter what you tell me. Two, I don’t think there is anything you could say that I can think of, that I’d pummel you over. So, now that you’ve got my curiosity peaked, what’s on your mind?”

I could tell he was apprehensive and maybe even having second thoughts. I guess he figured it was too late to turn back. Leaning across the table to get as close to me as possible he in a low voice stated, “I’m gay, or at least I’m pretty sure I am.”

Now I can’t say that I was shocked by the revelation, but why tell me I pondered to myself. Then it hit me. If Scotty and I got vibes from him and Bobby, perhaps he got the same from Scotty and me. I think Uncle Vince called it ‘Gaydar’. Not really knowing how to respond to his revelation, I asked, “Uh, well, Chris, is there a reason you are telling me this?”

“Well, here’s where it gets touchy, because as I said,” and he gulped, “and, I may be wrong—I think you are too.”

And before I could respond he continued. “That night when I came back to the gym to get my watch, I saw you kiss Scott Tucker. I wasn’t spying. I just happened to be opening the door when I saw you two. Then I threw the door open to kinda’ warn you and you pulled away quickly.”

He then giggled, “’Scotty, I don’t see anything in your eye—try blinking.’ Good one, Bash.”

“Since that time I have been watching you both. I know you two have a special friendship. I mean that’s obvious by how you treat one another. Now though, since I met Bobby and knowing the feelings I have for him, I now sense it is more than just friendship between you two. I really like how you interact with each other. God, I want that with Bobby so much.”

“Anyway, that is what I wanted to talk to you about. Ya’ see, I really love Bobby. I think he feels the same, but I don’t know how to approach him about it. I also know that he is scared of getting too close. He was teased and picked on so much, that he has a hard time trusting that anyone can really like him. I think he still sees himself as a little fat boy that no one could possibly care for. I can’t blame him really, as I was one of the people who tormented him. God, I am sorry I ever did that to him. He is one of the greatest people I’ve ever met.”

Still not clear what my role is, or where this conversation is going, I asked, “Well, I am curious as to what you think I can do, Chris?”

“Uh, well, I was hoping you could tell me how you and Scott got together. I mean what did you do? I mean when did you know you were meant for each other? I have no idea how to even bring the subject up with Bobby. Not a clue and was thinking maybe, well that maybe you could point me in the right direction.”

“Chris, before I talk about Scotty and me, I have to let him in on this. It’s not fair to talk about him if he isn’t involved in the discussion. So, if you want, why don’t we make plans to meet tomorrow at my place? You said you think Bobby feels for you also. What makes you think that? Would you be willing to take the risk and ask him, or tell him how you feel? You don’t have to answer that now, but think about it.”

“Okay, Bash, but God that’s scary.”

“Yeah, it is. However, as a wise person told me, unrequited love is also a bear. So, are we on for tomorrow after school?”

“Okay, sure, and I’ll try to get up the nerve to talk about it with Bobby tonight. I can’t promise I will, but…”

“I understand, Chris. Believe me I do.”

With that we left, both reiterating our vow to silence on what was discussed. He headed to Bobby’s and me to see the cutest guy in the world.

When I got home, I immediately called Scotty and asked if he could come by for a little while, as I need to talk to him about something very important. He asked his parents if he could, and they said he might if he was home in an hour. While I waited for him, I called my mother to let her know I was home and gave her a brief synopsis of what Chris and I discussed. She said to let her know if she could help in any way.

Within a matter of minutes, Scotty was at the door. I was a little nervous about telling him Chris Kreider had tagged us, especially, as it was my incautious kiss that caused the discovery.

After relating to him the conversation between Chris and me, Scotty appeared nonplussed.

“Hmmm?” was all he responded.

“What are you ‘hmmm-ing’ about?” I inquired.

“Gee, Bash, I am kinda’ between a rock and a hard place on this. I think…Well, babe, I think after tomorrow I’ll better be able to answer that for you. For now though…well, I can’t say anything. Sorry,” he said with some contrition and that sad puppy-dog look.

He added he would be more than happy to meet with Chris. He then gave me a very sensuous kiss and said he had to get back home as he only was allowed to be away for an hour.

Feigning a broken heart I teasingly responded, “Yeah, leave me in a state of confusion and a state of arousal.”

Grabbing me, he planted another wonderful kiss on my lips, again saying he was sorry and he loved me. He then scooted out the door and jogged home.

The next evening after school Scotty and I were in my room finishing our homework and waiting for Chris Kreider to show up. Homework completed we had just started to smooch when the doorbell rang. Standing up and trying to readjust myself and hide my state of arousal, I scurried down the stairs to answer the door. I was taken aback when standing there were both Chris and Bobby. Inviting them in and offering them something to drink, I took them to the living room telling them to make themselves comfortable. Bobby sat down on the love seat and Chris chose the matching stuffed chair. I yelled up the stairs to Scotty and asked if he wanted something to drink and that we were waiting in the living room. He replied that he still had some of his soda but asked if I could get him a glass of ice as it was getting warm. Returning to the living room with the refreshments and Scotty’s ice, I sat down on the couch where Scotty joined me. We did not sit as close as we normally did. After exchanging the typical pleasantries, mainly to get over the nervousness of the situation, I finally asked, “So, Chris, uh, did you talk to Bobby about what we discussed yesterday?”

“Well, kinda’.”

He then turned to Bobby and said, “Bobby, remember last night when I said I really liked you—a lot?”

Bobby nodded his head and Chris proceeded, “And you said you liked me a lot too.”

Bobby nodded again.

“Oh, shit, Bash! Oh, God! I just realized something,” he said in a panicked voice.

“What?” I asked.

“Can I talk with you and Scott for a second in the kitchen?”

I looked at Scotty and he shrugged his shoulders and said, “Sure.”

Excusing ourselves from Bobby, who seemed uncharacteristically calm about this whole thing, we went to the kitchen.

A very nervous Chris stammered, “I’m sorry, I just realized if I tell Bobby I’m gay and love him that he might think you two are gay too, or why else would I come here. Oh, shit, I guess I shoulda’ told him earlier. I was just so nervous. I thought if I asked him to come it would be easier to tell him with you guys around….Well, oh, shit….now what am I going to do?”

Scotty just looked at him and said, “You’re gonna’ go out there and tell him you’re gay and you love him.”

Both Chris and I looked at Scotty and he had this grin as he turned side-ways and gave me a wink.

“Uh, are you sure Scott? I mean, I don’t want him thinking you’re gay.”

“Chris, Bash and I can speak for ourselves. As far as I was lead to believe, you came here because you knew that we were friends and were just being supportive. That doesn’t mean we’re gay, just very advanced in our years at being open-minded,” he said with an affectation of sophistication.

With that, he grabbed Chris’s elbow and maneuvered him toward the living room. The little grin never left Scotty’s face and I pulled him back toward me, looked at him, and whispered, “You know something don’t you?”

He then nodded his head in the affirmative and gave me a quick hug.

“Does it have something to do with what you couldn’t tell me?”

Again, he nodded yes.

Bobby was sitting there calm as can be sipping his soda. Chris sat back down and turned and looked at both Scotty and me, then faced Bobby.

“Uh, Bobby, I guess you’re wondering why I brought you here to meet with Bash and Scott.”

“Well, sorta’, I mean, Scott doesn’t have anything to do with the wrestling team. Unless playing the National Anthem means he is. But, then he’d be part of all the sports teams wouldn’t he? Because he plays at the baseball games, soccer and even at the gymnastic meets. Then again, he is on the swim team, though they don’t start until the summer, but it is a sport.”

Turning to Scotty, he innocently inquired, “Do you play the National Anthem for the swim team too, Scott?”

Scotty shook his head, no.

“Yeah, I guess you would look kinda’ ridiculous sitting at the piano dressed only in a Speedo.”

I was sitting there realizing that the little machinations of one Scott Anthony Tucker were at play. I knew then that Bobby was well aware of what Chris wanted to say and was playing this for all it was worth. I looked at Scotty and could tell he was deriving some pleasure out of this little fiasco. I mouthed to him, “You are such a brat.”

He just scooted closer to me and laid his head on my shoulder while Bobby continued to rattle on.

“…then again, I thought maybe I wasn’t doing something right at practice and you were uncomfortable telling me because you liked me a lot and were afraid I wouldn’t like you if you told me I was doing something wrong. Because you know I admire Bash, you thought he could act as a go between. Still doesn’t explain Scotty’s presence, but, then again he does play the National Anthem.”

Poor, Chris was just sitting there numb, dumb, and speechless. Every once in a while he tried to interject something but Bobby just kept rambling on.

Finally, Chris not knowing what else to do, blurt out, “Bobby, I’m gay and I’m in love with you!”

“Huh, what did you say, Chris?” Bobby asked.

Exasperated, Chris repeated his statement enunciating each word, “I said, I AM GAY AND I AM IN LOVE WITH YOU!”

Bobby stood up and went over to Chris, sat on his lap, wrapped his arms around his neck and gave him a kiss before saying softly, “I know and I love you too.”

I was moved by Bobby’s gesture but started laughing.

“Chris, you asked me how Scotty and I got together; well you just went through what the Marquee de Sade sitting next to me put me through when I tried to tell him I loved him.”

Then it was my turned to be surprised.

“Whaaat! You, you, and Scott are, are uh, uh, boyfriends?” Bobby, with wide eyes, stuttered.

I turned to Scotty astonished and confused, and he said, “I guess I have some explaining to do. It’s like this: I have been helping Bobby with his piano lessons. At one point, he seemed depressed so I asked him why he was so down. I guess he felt he could trust me, and he confided in me that he really liked Chris and he was pretty sure he was gay. He didn’t know how Chris would react to him if he knew. Chris was the first person to ever really pay attention to him and do things with him. Of course, he didn’t want to lose that. Bobby asked me not to tell anyone what he told me—so I didn’t. I never told him I was gay or I was with you Bash.”

“Last night, when you told me what Chris’s feelings were for Bobby, well, I told Bobby today at school. Bobby told me that Chris had asked him to come here tonight with him. I told him he should come along. That is all I said. Well, okay, I did tell Bobby to play dumb—for a little while if it played out how I figured it would.”

“Bobby, I never meant to deceive you, but just as I promised not to reveal to anyone what you told me, I was under the same vow with Bash not to reveal our relationship. Also, I expect neither of you to mention it now that you know.”

“But, ah, but, Chris you knew?” Asked Bobby.

“Well, sorta’. I saw Bash give Scott a kiss one day. After watching them for a while, well, I kinda’ put two and two together. I then went to Bash and told him how I felt about you and wanted his advice on how to get you in my clutches,” he said while pulling Bobby into a hug.

We continued our discussion, asking the typical questions: When we realized we liked guys? What went through our heads? When we realized we liked, for me Scotty and for Chris, Bobby and vice versa? What attracted us to each other? Did we worry about what friends and family would think?

“Have either of you come out to your parents?” Scotty enquired.

“That’s another scary thing at least for me,” Chris said. “I don’t think my mom would be happy, but I’m sure she wouldn’t disown me. My father, well, he’s a different story. I think he sees me as the one who is to carry on the bloodline. Also, in his eyes, I’m the big jock. And I’ve heard him say some, lets just say, uncomplimentary things about gay people. I don’t know if I’m ready to tell either one, but I might try with my mom. I think my little sister is too young, but she loves me and for some reason I don’t think she’d really care. Hard to tell, she’s only 11 years old.”

Bobby replied, “Well, I think my mom knows. She hinted at my close ‘friendship’ with you. She didn’t seem to imply it was bad and actually thought it was nice I found someone who treated me nice and cared for me. I know both my mom and dad love me. I also know they like you, too, Chris. I don’t think it is what they envisioned for me as their son either, but I doubt seriously if they would treat me any differently.”

“How about you guys?” asked Chris. “Do your parents know and, if so, how did they take it?”

Both Scotty and I related our coming out to our parents and families. Chris was amazed by the positive acceptance we had received, but still expressed doubt that his parents would be so congenial. He thought it best just to say nothing for the time being. Neither Scotty nor I tried to persuade him to do one thing or the other as we figured he knew his parents better than we did. We told him if he ever needed to talk, we’d be there to listen.

It was almost 9:00 when Chris and Bobby left. As they were departing, we reiterated to them that they could talk with us anytime. We also cautioned them to be careful at school and such.

“Yeah,” Chris teasingly replied. “Oh, I think you got something in your eye Scotty.” He then giggled and took off with Bobby.

After they had gone, Scotty turned to me and sadly stated, “Well, babe, I gotta’ get home too. I promised Mom I wouldn’t be too late and I still need to run through a few numbers before I hit the sack. I really wish I could stay with you a little longer, I really do.”

He gave me a wonderful kiss and left. As disappointed I was for him having to leave, I felt like the luckiest guy in the world for having him as my lover.

Copyright © 2011 Steven Keiths; All Rights Reserved.
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..