Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

One Moonlit Night - 26. Chapter 26

EPILOGUE

Nine years later

Over the ensuing years, Scotty received his doctorate in music, for him it really wasn’t a very daunting task. Other than learning more about composers and playing other instruments, he could challenge most of the curricula. Truth be known, I think some of his professors were intimidated by having Scotty in their classes. For his doctorate he finished his concerto of Amorèdella mia Vite—his final dissertation, which two major orchestras have played since its publication. That is quite an accomplishment since most new works are ignored. The attitude being that no one could possibly compose anything better than the old masters could.

I received my masters in education after a stint as a professional baseball player; a career that was short lived. My only claim to fame was pitching a no-hitter as a relief pitcher and hitting a two-run homer that won us a game. In our small community of Cleona, that was enough for the gentry to have bragging rites, so to them I am a hero. To the average baseball fan, it is probably, ‘Who’s Sebastian Cocchetti?’ I quit baseball not because I didn’t like the game, but because I didn’t like being away from Scotty for such prolonged periods. I also didn’t like the homophobia that existed. Unlike with Scotty, I felt comfortable traveling around in his professional circle, he didn’t fit well into the sports environment. Though he was a famous and world-renowned classical musician, the sporting arena wasn’t so inclusive. In order to stay for the long haul, I would have had to lie or hide in the closet. I couldn’t or wouldn’t do that. My love and relationship with Scotty superseded bigotry and prejudice.

Scotty still travels the world performing, and with his stature, teaches at Curtis Institute and is in demand for master classes. Two of his recordings have also garnered him Grammys. When time permits, he also volunteers his time at our old high school in the music department, where I now teach English, and coach the wrestling and baseball teams. I’ve also found time to author a few children’s books that have gained some popularity. We both volunteer our time at the local children’s shelter, mostly doing fundraising, but also helping by doing odd jobs: painting or fixing a broken door hinge. It is at the shelter we met our daughter, Amy.

Amy was about a year old when she was found in a dumpster, suffering from malnutrition, dehydration and a gangrenous infection on her left foot. Her immune system was not strong enough to fight off the infection so, in order to save her leg and life; it required that her foot to be amputated above the ankle. Amy had been at the shelter for three years and though a very beautiful little girl, no one seemed interested in adopting her. Most people seem to want babies and if not, at least ‘perfect’ children.

Scotty and I, over the years, had fostered a few kids for brief periods until permanent homes could be found for them. We really wanted to adopt but being gay presented quite the challenge.

Whenever Scotty and I went to the shelter, at some point he would sit at the piano and play children’s songs. The kids loved it and him. Little Amy, with her tattered blue blanket and clutching her little Teddy bear, shyly sat in the corner and listened. Over time, fascinated, she started to creep closer to the piano and just watch Scotty intently. One day Scotty decided to tune the piano. Amy upon hearing the piano crawled into the room and almost to the piano bench: sat and waited for Scotty to begin playing. When Scotty saw Amy, he smiled and said hi, she cupped her hands shyly over her dark brown eyes and peeked between her fingers. Scotty slowly approached her and asked if she wanted to sit with him at the piano while extending out his hands to pick her up. She offered no resistance nor tried to get away, so Scotty reached down, and picked her up and held her in his lap while he played I’m a Little Tea Pot. When Scotty was through, he looked down at the smiling Amy and for the first time she spoke. “Again, pway again, pwease.” I came in shortly after, and Scotty was taking Amy’s little hand and helping her pick out notes. She marveled over the results, that every time she hit a key she made a sound. I sat down beside Scotty, said hi to Amy; she smiled. That was the beginning of our love affair with the dark curly-haired Amy.

It took a lot of doing, and with the legal representation of Junior and Shelby, and after one year of fostering her and two years of court battles, we were allowed to legally adopt Amy.

She has lost much of the shyness she once had. It’s difficult to be shy when much of the time she is surrounded by her cousins. Junior and Shelby have a sweet little girl, Lizzie. She and Amy are the best of friends. Beth and Jim have twin boys, James and Phillip, who have become much attached and protective of her, after all they are two years older. Billy Farmer, uh, William Farmer, DVM that is, and Michelle have two boys, William and Michael, and one little girl on the way. Amy loves her Uncle Billy, especially since he brought her a cute little Golden Retriever puppy. It was love at first sight. She loves her Buddy as they have something in common; Buddy has a rear paw missing. You can bet, wherever Amy is, so is Buddy.

Amy is a delightful child. She loves to help her Daddies around the house and though sometimes she makes more work than help, we don’t discourage her. In order to alleviate confusion, she calls me Daddy and Scotty Poppa. She is learning to play the piano. Scotty, of course the ever-proud Poppa, swears it is his musical genes she has inherited. It’s useless to argue that there is absolutely no basis for his illogical conclusion to that regard. He’ll just harrumph and stare at the would be doubter.

We have had Amy fitted with a prosthesis. She’s not too fond of it, and she sheds it as soon as she walks through the door.. On one occasion, James, one of the twins, remarked at her not having two feet and found it more confusing, I think, than strange. Amy, not missing a beat, replied, “Yep, but I have two Daddies, you don’t, so you are missing one.” I guess you have to be of that age for it to have an impact, but I’m sure it created some lively discussions for Beth and Jim. Try explaining two Daddies to two curious eight year olds.

Well, I could go on and on about our sweet Amy, but I need to tell you about the rest of those who are involved in our world.

My mom met and married a doctor, Tim Benson, she met and worked with at Hershey Medical Center. I am so happy for her as I had fears she would live out her life with out a companion. I wanted her to have someone special, as I do with my Scotty. Scotty and I now live in the house that I grew up in and my mom and Tim live in his home in Lebanon, which is just up the road. Mom and Amy are very close and she dotes on her worse than Scotty, if that’s possible. Tim’s a super guy and accepts Scotty’s and my relationship without reservation. Since he’s a pediatrician, he is also Amy’s doctor as well as a loving Grandpa.

Uncle Phil and Aunt Liz continue to be a huge part of our lives and so Amy gets spoiled on all sides. Uncle Phil is getting ready to retire and I think Aunt Liz is ready for him to also. A few years ago, while chasing a robber, he was shot and wounded in the leg. It was a shocker for all of us, but Aunt Liz has never quite gotten over it.

Bobby Arnold, after a few relationships gone sour, is now with a really nice guy named Dane. They’ve been together for over three years now and it looks as if this is the one. Bobby is a CPA and has his own little business in Anneville another little community next door to Cleona. He still plays in the Kool Kreatures band, which still maintains a modicum of popularity in the area. He too, is considered an Uncle and he and Amy get along famously.

Stan Polanski and Jennifer married, and will be celebrating their eighth anniversary this year. Stan is now the assistant director for the county health and human services department. Stan worked his way through college to get his master’s degree in counseling. He has never lost his love for the homeless shelter and is still an active volunteer there. He and Jennifer have a little girl, Stephanie who is also a friend and playmate of Amy’s.

Our old coach, Mr. Hastinger, is retired and a widower. We see him from time to time, but he spends most of his retirement gallivanting around the country in his spiffy RV. Jim, his gay son, has become a good friend along with his partner, also named Jim.

Gordon Starky moved to California and works as a computer programmer in the Silicon Valley area. We stay in periodic contact and have visited him a few times. He recently met a girl and is thinking of popping the question.

Nanna is still as lively as ever, and still bustling about the kitchen cooking her heart out. Amy loves her Nanna. Nanna is teaching Amy to make pasta, which means our kitchen on more than one occasion has looked as though a major snowstorm hit it when she tries to make homemade ‘buhskettie’ noodles.

Uncle Dom and Aunt Mary are doing well and their kids are now grown and in college. He’s come a long way with his acceptance of Uncle Vince and Chris and Scotty and me. He really is a loving guy; it’s just taken him time. We, for a while, thought Dom, Jr. might be gay, but it turned out he was just a late bloomer and now has a steady girlfriend.

Sad to say that Aunt Connie and Uncle Peter are divorced. They remain on friendly terms; I’m sure more for the kids than anything. Their kids are also grown and in college. Uncle Peter has remarried, but Aunt Connie is adamant she will never marry again. Time will tell.

Uncle Vincent and Uncle Chris are still madly in love and trading barbs with one another. They remain, for Scotty and me, a continual inspiration. They are so happy for us that we successfully adopted Amy. It, for them, is encouragement that perhaps the times they are a changin’.

Scotty—well Scotty remains the sweetest, kindest, and most loving man I have ever known. Other than our careers causing some challenges at one time, our lives together have been all that we ever wanted with each other. He is still the greatest lover, companion and friend. And now, a super Poppa to our daughter Amy. As the years have gone by, our love is still as strong as it was in the beginning. I cannot imagine life with out him. He remains the Amorèdella mia vite.

We did it Sharon and I can’t thank you enough—Steven Keiths

Copyright © 2011 Steven Keiths; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I'm glad that Bash & Scotty adopted. There are too many disabled or otherwise difficult to adopt children out there and not enough willing adopters. As the Romanovsky and Phillips song says, Love is All it Takes to Make a Family.  ;–)

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..