Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

One Moonlit Night - 15. Chapter 15

Chapter Fifteen

 

“Happy New Year!” We yelled when Nanna opened the door. We proceeded to get our round of hugs, then, you guessed it—off to the kitchen. I stood for a moment taking in the familiar aroma of garlic, basil, and oregano that permeated throughout the house. There was a comfort and fond memories from those pungent scents. We placed our presents for her on the crocheted tablecloth made by Nanna, and begged her to open them.

“Let your Nanna give you some ting to eat and then she will open,” she responded in her heavy Italian accent.

Having gotten the requisite food on the table she then, while we ate, set about opening her gifts.

She, of course, “ooohed” and “aaahed” over everything. We got her handkerchiefs, decorative candles, and a new pasta maker. She had mentioned, at one time, hers was old and had seen better days. Scotty also gave her a copy of his first CD, which was soon to be released. She was in awe. In between the opening of each gift, she smothered us in her loving embraces. After the unwrapping and many ‘thank you’s’, she shuffled us off into the knick-knack filled living room so she could begin that night’s dinner. Mom stayed to help and we heard them merrily chattering away.

When everything was prepared, they came into the living room. Nanna first put on Scotty’s recording and then began to pull the presents she had for us out from under the beautifully decorated tree. Along with being a fantastic cook, Nanna also was an accomplished knitter. She had made Scotty and me beautiful bulky-knit sweaters. She was a little concerned that she may not have gotten the sizes right, so we modeled them for her. She chuckled as Scotty and I did the professional modeling walk—turning, posing, and strutting down the runway—they fit perfectly.

Later that evening, being tired from the long drive and being stuffed by Nanna, we all retired earlier than usual. Scotty and I gave each other a few loving pecks and then we fell asleep, my arms hugging him into me.

 

***[ ]***

 

Though we were all going to celebrate the coming of the New Year at Uncle Dom’s, Nanna still spent much of her morning in the kitchen preparing food to take: just in case anyone got hungry. That afternoon when we arrived at Uncle Dom’s the celebrating had already begun. Aunt Mary, Dom’s wife, Aunt Connie and her husband Uncle Peter were feeling no pain because of their consumption of alcohol. All their kids were in the family room playing video games or some other game while the stereo blared their favorite music. My cousins just loved Scotty and me. They, of course, had to take a break from their playing in the now gift strewn room to clamber all over us. They excitedly showed us what they received for Christmas. Getting them to take turns talking was a real challenge. They all would talk excitedly at once trying to impose their attentions on us. After the requisite piggyback rides, swinging them around and wrestling, we finally begged off and told them we needed to be polite and go visit with their parents for a little while. We told them we would be back later to play with them some more. Placated with that promise they released us.

Scotty and I returned to the living room to converse with the adults. They all asked the usual questions; how school was and how I was doing in wrestling, and inquiring as to what Scotty was up to. Everyone stated how glad they were that Scotty seemed to have healed nicely from the assault at the theatre. Aunt Connie came over, sat beside Scotty, noticed his ring and commented, “Scotty, that’s a beautiful ring. Where did you get it?”

“Isn’t it nice; Bash gave it to me. He had it inscribed with the title of one of my compositions, see?”

Amorè della mia Vite—Love of my life, how nice. You’ll have to play it for us. Of course our piano is probably badly out of tune with the kids pounding on it all the time, but I know we’d all like to hear it.”

“I’d be happy too, though it’s pretty long. Definitely not party music,” he said.

I reached and put my arm across Scotty’s shoulder and gave it a gentle squeeze and said, “No it’s not party music, but Aunt Connie, it is absolutely beautiful.”

“Well, I’m sure it is.”

 

She then espied the ring on my finger and noticed it matched Scotty’s.

“Oh, you have the same ring. Are these like friendship rings?”

“Uh, no, Aunt Connie,” I nervously stated, “uh, these are commitment rings. You see,” as I took a deep breath and swallowed, “Scotty’s my boyfriend now.”

You could have heard the sound of a feather hit the floor.

“What did you just say Sebastian,” my Uncle Dom yelled. “Your boyfriend? Are you queer?”

“No, I’m not queer: I’m gay, and Scotty’s my partner,” I defiantly stated.

“I can’t believe this shit. What the hell would your father think? I knew if you kept hanging out with that little blond faggot…”

I jumped to my feet; rage consuming me. Everyone else sitting in the room was stupefied by my boisterous and sudden outrage. I went over to my Uncle Dom, looked him directly in the eyes and stated, “You know what Uncle Dom, if I thought for one minute belting you in your big mouth would change anything, I’d do it. But stupidity and ignorance can’t be changed by physical violence.”

Uncle Dom sat there in stunned disbelief at my attack. He and I had never ever had an argument, let alone anything near to a physical confrontation. He just stared at me shocked. I was so angry. I felt murderous. He attacked me. He attacked Scotty; that I could not allow.

“You said, ‘What would my father think?’ Well, you know what Uncle Dom? I’m a straight ‘A’ student; I’ve been on the honor roll almost every year I’ve been in school; through hard work I’ve manage to do very well at sports and have a room full of trophies and ribbons to prove it. I do service in my community, volunteering to help when I can. I tutor students at school to help them get ahead scholastically; I work part time; I have never been in any trouble; I don’t do drugs, drink, or smoke. I do my chores at home and I believe I’m a good son. I’d say my father would be proud of me.”

“And as for that little blond faggot sitting there—my boyfriend; well he probably has more talent in his little pinky then all of us combined in this room; he has played with some of the major orchestras and conductors in this state and elsewhere. That little blond faggot—my lover; he too, is a straight ‘A’ student; he too, does volunteer work and uses his musical gift to entertain at senior homes, children’s homes, and to help raise money for good causes. That little blond faggot—my life-partner, is probably one of the most kind, gentle, loving and caring people you will ever have the opportunity to meet. That little blond faggot—the love of my life; worked his butt off to produce that CD you and Aunt Connie received as a gift. I know my dad would be proud of him also.”

“Oh, and furthermore, to set the record straight, I proposed to Scotty. I asked him to be my lover. He was content to remain my friend.”

With that, I abruptly did an about face and stomped over to Scotty who had tears in his eyes, put my hands out to him and said, “Let’s go Scotty.”

“Sebastian, Scotty—SIT!” Nanna yelled.

“Dominic, I ashamed. You talk to my grandsons, Sebastian and Scotty like that. I tink I bring you up better.”

“Mamma, you know as well as me that it’s a wrong way to live. You’re Catholic for God’s sake,” Uncle Dom retorted.

“You keep your mouth closed. Si, I Catolic. I know the church no like the gays people. I also know my church is run by mens—no God. I no agree with what they tink. I no tink love is bad—no matter who do the loving. Let God judge; no me or you or some priest.”

“You brother, Sabatino, Sebastian’s poppa, he would love my Scotty and Sebastian. I know. It was your brother, who told your Poppa and me when we struggle to understand Vincenzo. ‘Mamma, Poppa’ he say, ‘would you rather see Vincenzo marry a girl and be unhappy and make the girl unhappys too. Or would you like to see Vincenzo happy with someone he loves and who loves him.’ You see Dominic, your brother would love his son, because he be happy with the Scotty. And my Scotty he’s a happy with my Sebastian. Your brother, he understand love. Your brother love Vincenzo—why? Because Vincenzo a good man. He want Vincenzo be happy.”

“Dominic, you my son; I love you. You a good a fodder to your childrens and you love your Maria. Why you hate two people who love each other I no can understand?”

“I tell you now, I will no let you treat my grandsons with such disrespect. You have a no love in you heart for them; you no have love in your heart for me.”

“Now—Sebastian, Scotty—we go.”

You would have thought we were in a funeral parlor for the sudden quiet and somberness. My mother rose to her feet, appearing as though she had something to say, but merely shook her head, saying nothing as my Nanna hooked her one arm in hers and her other arm in mine. I took Scotty’s arm and we unceremoniously left my Uncle Dom’s. Uncle Vince and Uncle Chris followed. We left all in a stunned silence.

Walking to the car, Nanna turned to Uncle Vince and Chris and said sadly, “Vincenzo, Krees, I so sorry I no say these words before. I maybe should have say, but I no want to cause troubles. I see now I very wrong for say nothing. Please forgive your Mamma.”

Uncle Vince wrapped his arms around Nanna and lovingly said, “Mamma, you have always shown your love to me and Chris. In my heart I know you have done nothing that needs to be forgiven.”

Nanna pulled a handkerchief from her sleeve dabbed her eyes and Uncle Vince’s and gave him a kiss on both cheeks. She then repeated the process on Uncle Chris.

The rode back to Nanna’s in relative silence. Uncle Vince was driving and Uncle Chris sat between him and Nanna. My mom, Scotty, and I sat in the back. It was still early in the evening and Uncle Vince finally broke the silence, “Tracy, would you and the boys like to come over to our place for a while? I don’t believe you have seen the garden since it was completed.”

“Mamma, would you like to go to Vince and Chris’s for a while?” My mother enquired.

“No, I be tired. You go and I take a nap.”

“I’m a little tired myself, Mamma. Boys, why don’t you go with Uncle Vince and visit—perhaps you could spend the night there,” she proffered as more of a question to Uncle Vince.

“Of course, if they want they can spend the night,” replied Uncle Chris.

“But, uh, Mom, it’s New Year’s Eve and…”

My mother gave me this look—please,do as I ask, as she nodded her head toward Nanna.

I caught her meaning and said, “Okay, Mom. Do you think you’ll be asleep at midnight? If not, I’ll call you—well it will probably be a little after,” as I winked and looked at Scotty who had said nothing so far. He stared out the window, seemingly oblivious to what was being said.

My mom smiled her understanding and said, “Well, if you call and I don’t answer the phone after the second ring, you’ll know I fell asleep. Hang up, so you don’t wake your Nanna—or me.”

As we pulled into Nanna’s hedge-lined driveway, my mother got out, opened the door for Nanna and offered her hand. Nanna was upset and she did look very tired—and sad. Scotty and I also got out of the car to give Nanna and my mom a kiss good night. My mother caressed Scotty’s face in her hands stating, “Scotty”—and looking at me—“Sebastian, your father would love you and would be very proud of both of you. He was a very loving man—as the two of you are.”

With that she gave us both a kiss and put her hand on Nanna’s arm and they somberly walked into the house. It hurt to see my Nanna so upset.

Once at Uncle Vince and Chris’ we all sat down and Uncle Chris set about starting a fire in the fireplace. Uncle Vince headed to the kitchen to get some snacks—the food phenomenon runs in the family—and some champagne. Scotty still had not said a word. He just stared off into space. I realized I needed to talk with Scotty so I asked, “Uncle Chris, may I take Scotty out and show him the garden?”

“Sure, the light switch is just beside the door.”

“Hey, babe, let’s go see the garden,” I said reaching my hand toward him.

“What is it with you lately wanting to drag me out into the cold,” he angrily stated.

Instantly I could tell he regretted what he said as he knew how his outburst impacted the romantic evening of exchanging our rings.

“Oh, my God, Bash, I’m so sorry. Bash, I didn’t mean that. I’m really, really sorry,” as he reached for my hand.

“I guess I’m just messing up everything tonight. First at your Uncle Dom’s and now, I have said something so cruel. I’m so sor…”

“Hush, babe, come with me, love of my life.”

I pulled him up, grabbed our coats, put my arm around his waist, and led him out to the garden.

We followed the meandering stone path toward the sound of the trickling fountain and sat on the glider swing. We sat for a few moments taking in the beautiful surroundings and listening to the soothing rhythm of the fountain. We were sitting sideways as I reached for Scotty’s hands and loving held them in mine. Tears were flowing from my lover’s eyes, I leaned over and gave him a peck on the lips and brushed the tears away.

“Bash, I am so sorry. I’m just so angry. The last thing I ever wanted to do is cause a riff in your family,” he forlornly said.

“You know, my best friend once told me—quite emphatically, I might add, that something that happened as a result of what I thought was my fault really had nothing to do with me: That the circumstances were just right for someone to express their anger; and they did. I would like to remind my best friend, my lover, that he got caught up in a very similar scenario, tonight. Scotty, you could have done nothing different—Uncle Dom was inebriated enough and angry enough to say what he said.”

“Scotty, when we exchanged our rings, I said I forsake all others. That does not just mean regarding sex; it means I forsake all others for any reason that may come between you and me. I love my Uncle Dom, because down deep I know him to be a good man, but, you are my mate, my partner until death do us part. I refuse to let his bigotry and hatred of our love come between us. You are the love of my life.”

Well, the dam broke and Scotty just grabbed me in a hug and his tears flowed. After he calmed down, he humorously remarked, “Damn, I’m gonna’ have to start carrying a handkerchief in my sleeve like Nanna,” as he wiped the snot and tears off on the sleeve of his jacket.

“Sebastian, I have never loved anyone as I love you. You have no idea how wonderful you are to and for me,” he expressed between sniffles. We sat there holding each other for a few silent minutes. Then giving me a kiss he said, “Now, let’s get back inside, my butt is freezing.”

“Oooh, we can’t have that, though it may be fun warming it up,” I teased.

Hand in hand, we returned to the house enjoying the comforting warmth that assailed us as we entered. Proceeding to the living room, we quietly watched Uncle Chris and Uncle Vince snuggling on the couch sipping champagne and gazing into the roaring fireplace. Scotty and I stood and watched them for a moment. I squeezed Scotty’s hand and we turned and gave each other knowing glances. He understood; I wanted that to be us throughout our years together.

Upon hearing us enter the room, they both turned around. Seeing Scotty’s puffy eyes, Uncle Chris asked with concern, “You okay Scotty?”

“Never been better, Uncle Chris,” Scotty said with a smile, while pulling me to him and giving my cheek a peck.

“Well, might I suggest we pour you each a glass of bubbly, snuggle up near the warm fire, pop in a movie titled, Victor, Victoria, and let go of tonight’s unfortunate events. We will then welcome in the New Year,” Uncle Vince stated.

“Ha, ha, ha,” Uncle Chris chided. “You’ll be fast asleep and I’ll be kissing you as you snore away.”

“I do not snore. I breathe heavily,” Uncle Vince said with a mild teasing rebuke.

The tone of the evening was set. Uncle Vince and Chris traded barbs and occasionally, one or the other tried to engage support from Scotty or me in their humorous battles. We were laughing so much we barely uttered a word of defense for either one. Yeah, I could see Scotty and I like this in the many years ahead—comforting thought really.

At the stroke of midnight, Scotty and I were in a warm, passionate embrace. Uncle Vince and Chris were passed out on the couch; Uncle Vince with his head on Uncle Chris’ lap—snoring away, uh, I mean breathing heavily.

The phone at Nanna’s was not answered on the second ring, so I hung up and just said a silent Happy New Year to my mom and Nanna.

We debated whether we should awaken our Uncles or just let them sleep. We opted to let them be, as they looked so peaceful just as they were. We wrapped a throw around them as best we could, and put a few logs in the fireplace to keep the room warm. Then Scotty and I went upstairs, took a quick shower, and then crawled into bed.

I pulled my sexy lover on top of me and nibbled on his ear. As I heard his appreciative moans, I then moved to his lips and ever so gently nipped his lower one. We then hungrily began to kiss. Scotty was gently rubbing his penis against my abdomen; mine rubbing on his. It felt so wonderful. We were leaking copious amounts of pre-cum, which made the sensation of the frottage electrifying.

“Oh, Scotty, I don’t think I can last much longer if we keep this up,” I panted.

Scotty ceased his movements and started kissing down my neck. He manipulated his tongue around my nipples, then sucked on them and lightly nipped them with his teeth.

“Oh, my God, Scotty,” I moaned.

Our lovemaking was prolonged, passionate, and resulted in us both having almost simultaneous orgasms. After some time of making out I finally giggled, “Boy, you’re messy. We’d better get up before we get glued together.”

He then rolled off me, grabbed my hands, and pulled me toward the shower.

As Scotty was washing my butt, I had this desire for him to enter me. I could tell he too was again becoming aroused. It’s really hard—no pun intended—to hide eight inches of manhood, especially on the diminutive frame of my 5’ 6”, 125 lb. lover.

“Um, Scotty?”

“Yeah, babe.”

“I want you in me.”

“Here or in the bed?” He huskily responded.

“Bed,” I with brevity replied.

We hurriedly dried off and returned to the bed. Fastidious Scotty, of course, did have to straighten out the covers and sheets a little. Before getting in the bed, I went and retrieved the lube from our overnight bag. Lying on my stomach, Scotty proceeded to apply lube to my butt and probe with his fingers. As I was writhing from his continual probing, he slowly withdrew the two fingers he had inserted and entered me. Again, we both moaned our obvious sounds of pleasure. As we both had climaxed just a little while before, this session of lovemaking would last a while longer. I, nor he, was in any hurry for it to end.

Exhausted and heavily breathing, and barely managing to get the words out, Scotty, sweat dripping from his forehead, gaspingly exclaimed, “Oh, my God, Bash. You are such a hot lover. Phew! That was great!”

His softening penis slipped out and I rolled over on my back pulling the sweetest most loveable boy on top of me and kissed his beautiful blond hair.

“You’re pretty fantastic yourself. Well, not pretty fantastic—you are fantastic.”

We kissed. We were too exhausted to even get up and take another shower. Scotty fell asleep lying on top of me.

The next morning when I awoke, I was pressed up against Scotty’s cute little butt with the usual early morning piss hard on. I slowly pulled away from him, as I didn’t want to awaken him from his much needed slumber. He looked so cute when sleeping. Aw, hell, he looked cute all the time. I headed to the bathroom to relieve myself. I smelled the freshly brewing coffee emanating from downstairs and heard the sound of pots and pans being rattled about. I quietly re-entered the bedroom, grabbed a pair of pants and a T-shirt and went downstairs.

“Well, good morning, sleepy head,” Uncle Vince said lowering his newspaper. “Help yourself to some coffee. What time did you and Scott finally get to bed?”

“Oh, uh, we went to bed shortly after midnight,” I stuttered.

With a devilish smirk on his face, he asked, “And what time did you get to sleep? You don’t need to answer that; I’m teasing.”

A little red-faced I replied, “Well, we had a lot to discuss,” arching my eyebrow and chuckled. “It was about 3:30 a.m.”

“Oh, to be young again,” he lamented with a smile.

Just then, Uncle Chris came into the kitchen from the garden looking perturbed.

“I think that damn neighbor’s cat snagged another Koi. I have got to figure a way to stop him from doing that. Do you think putting a strong netting material over the pond at night would prevent him getting at the fish? I don’t want something we can’t remove as it would detract from the aesthetics.”

“Honey, I’ve suggested a BB gun,” Uncle Vince said.

“Vince Cocchetti, that’s cruel. The cat’s being a cat. Besides, Herman is a real sweetie. I don’t want to kill or hurt him. I just want him to leave my fish alone.”

“See, Sebastian, I come up with a perfect solution, and he rejects it,” Uncle Vince chided.

Uncle Chris smacked him on his shoulder and retorted, “Killing Herman is not a solution. There are other cats in the neighborhood too you know. Besides, you cantankerous old fart, you like Herman.”

“Now, think of another solution my brilliant hunk, while I get breakfast prepared for out cute guests,” and he leaned down and kissed Uncle Vince.

A few minutes later Scotty, with his unruly hair, dressed in sweats came sleepy-eyed into the kitchen.

“Good morning, everybody, man I really slept last night.”

“Yeah,” Uncle Vince said with a chuckle, “Bash said you stayed up past 3:00 a.m. discussing world events.”

“Huh?” Scotty sleepily queried.

“Don’t listen to him Scott,” Uncle Chris said, “he is being a smart ass this morning. Do you want a cup of coffee?”

“Oh, yeah, that would be great.”

After being stuffed with pancakes, sausage, and eggs, Scotty and I went and took a much needed shower. We stripped the sheets off the bed, put them in the laundry basket, and then remade the bed. We then returned downstairs to visit with Uncle Vince and Chris. While we were discussing some of the things that were going on in our lives and bringing them up to date on our two gay friends, Chris and Bobby, the phone rang. Uncle Vince picked it up.

“Hello? Oh, hi Mary. Yes. Yes both he and Scotty are here. Sure, here he is,” as he handed me the phone. “It’s your Aunt Mary.”

“Hi, Aunt Mary.”

“Hi, Sebastian, how are you doing?”

“I’m actually doing okay. How are you?”

“Well, I’ve been better.” Hesitating, she then continued, “Sebastian, you need to come over and talk with your Uncle Dom. He is absolutely miserable about what happened.”

“Aunt Mary, if he is so miserable, then why didn’t he call?”

“Sebastian, come on, please. Dom’s a very proud man…”

“Oh, so because he’s a proud ignorant man, he’s allowed to insult me and Scotty and I’m supposed to crawl back to him. Somehow that doesn’t appeal to me.”

“Sebastian, I know he wants to make it right between you two. He really does love you, you know. He was drinking…”

“Aunt Mary, at this moment I’m still a little upset and angry about the way he acted…”

Scotty then grabbed the phone from me and said, “Aunt Mary, this is Scott, Bash will be by later to talk with Uncle Dom. We have to go back over to Nanna’s, but before we head back to Pennsylvania, he’ll come by.”

“You’ll be coming too, won’t you?” Aunt Mary inquired.

“Well, I think it is more important that Bash and his Uncle talk. I don’t know if it is wise that I be there.”

“Well, you’re more than welcome to come too, Scott.”

“Thank you, Aunt Mary, I’ll think about it.”

“Okay, then I hope we will see you later. I have to go now as the kids are fighting over something,” she said with some exasperation.

“Well, I’ll let you go then.”

“Bye, and Scott, thank you,” she replied.

“No problem. Bye.”

“Scotty,” I yelled, “you had no right to do that. It’s not fair he insults you and me and I’m the one that has to go to him. He should have at least had the balls to call me himself and not have Aunt Mary do it for him. He’s too proud, that’s bull and you know it.”

“Sebastian, one, you don’t need to yell, two, you love your Uncle and he loves you. Yeah, it would have been nice if he would have called, but… well he didn’t. Well he did in a way, through Aunt Mary he let you know he feels bad and wants to talk to you. Out of deference to his age and being your uncle, I think you can cut him a little slack. So, if not for him, will you do it for me, please?”

Seeing that pleading look from the boy I love, it was going to be difficult to resist denying him. I was still not sure though if I should let Uncle Dom off that easy.

“Scotty, I just don’t know.”

Turning to Uncle Vince and Chris, I asked, “Uncle Vince, Uncle Chris what do you think I should do?”

“Sebastian, you need to do what your heart tells you is the right thing to do.”

“I agree with Vince, Sebastian. Why don’t you take some time and think about it for a while?” Uncle Chris added.

I looked back at Scotty as he just looked at me, saying “please” with his beautiful eyes.

“Okay, I’ll think about it. But, if I do decide to go, you’re going with me. That is the only way I’ll do it, Scotty.”

A smile spread across his face and he nodded his head and said, “Okay.” He then ran to the bathroom saying he had to pee.

When he left the room, I said to Uncle Vince and Chris, “I think maybe in this instance, he’s my heart.”

“Well,” Uncle Vince replied, “sometimes two hearts are better than one.” Then he smiled a knowing smile.

We all went back to Nanna’s. She looked a little tired and I could tell, still upset about the confrontation from the day before. Apparently, Mary had called there first looking for me, telling Nanna she wanted me to come talk with my Uncle. I knew Nanna would like peace restored in the family, but didn’t want to tell me I had to talk with Uncle Dom. So, between Nanna, who I loved so very much, and the love of my life, I decided I would go meet with my Uncle. While Nanna was mindlessly shuffling around in the kitchen, I asked my mom, “Mom, can we stop by Uncle Dom and Aunt Mary’s before we head back home? I think I need to put yesterday behind me.”

Nanna’s head made a noticeable movement; as if to make sure she heard me right—and then she turned to me and smiled. Almost instantaneously, her whole attitude changed. She started merrily humming then began bringing out the pots and pans readying to prepare more food—at this point she didn’t need a reason. She was back to being Nanna, humming away and doing what she loved to do—cooking for those she loved.

Scotty, too, was beaming and came over and gave me a loving hug, whispered in my ear, “Bash, I love you. I know you know, this is the right thing to do—because you’re a truly kind and loving person.”

“Well, just don’t you forget, you’re coming with me,” I averred.

He nuzzled into my neck and gave it a peck then nodded his assent.

Nanna outdid herself in providing lunch. You would have thought none of us had eaten for three days with the amount of food she prepared. As per usual, she sent us off with enough food to feed half of the State of Pennsylvania. After hugging us all good-bye, she pulled me aside and told me how proud she was of me—and Scotty. She then said, “Sebastian, you know your Uncle Dominic love you very much. He very old-fashion in his tinking, so please, understand he need time to tink about you and Scotty. But, you no need to not believe he no love you.”

That said she kissed us all good-bye and told us to come back soon.

The truth be told, even with Scotty’s encouragement, I still felt a little reluctant to talk with Uncle Dom. I still hadn’t gotten over his cruel insult toward Scotty. However, I did know Uncle Dom to be a good person, so decided it would be best to at least attempt to make peace.

With a little nervousness, I rang the doorbell, Scotty and my mom standing behind me. Aunt Mary opened the door and immediately grabbed me giving me a hug.

“Sebastian, I’m so glad you came. Your Uncle has been absolutely miserable for what he said. I don’t think he slept at all last night. He’s in the den, he’ll be glad to see you.”

“Hi, Scott and Tracy, please come in and I’ll get us something to drink. Are you hungry? Sebastian, would you like anything?”

“Do you have a Coke or Pepsi?”

“Sure, I’ll bring it in to you.”

Though the TV was on, Uncle Dom wasn’t watching it; he was staring mindlessly at nothing. I knocked lightly on the door frame and Uncle Dom turned around and, seeing it was me, in a low voice said, “Please, come in, Sebastian,” and he gestured toward a stuffed leather chair indicating I should take a seat.

We sat there for a few moments; I was determined not to be the first to speak. With a heavy sigh, Uncle Dom leaned forward putting his elbows on his knees and his chin on the back of his clasped hands. Clearing his throat, he softly said, “Sebastian, I am really sorry about yesterday. There is no excuse for how I behaved.” His eyes filling with moisture, he continued. “I love you, hell I even love Scott. He’s a good kid, just as you are.” He paused. “I just don’t understand this gay thing. I didn’t understand it when I found out about Vinny—I still don’t get it. It just seems—well it seems so unnatural. That still is no reason to say what I said. Sebastian, I’m really, really sorry.”

“Uncle Dom, I love you too, but you owe the apology more to Scotty than me.”

“Yeah, I know. I just wanted to get right with you first. Do you think Scott will even talk with me after yesterday?”

“Uncle Dom, we’re talking about the guy who asked a judge not to throw his assailant in jail after he put him in a coma, gave him a severe concussion and the scar he now sports across his eyebrow line for the rest of his life. Yeah, I think he’ll talk with you,” I said.

“Uncle Dom,” I continued, “I do wish you could understand and I’ve been racking my brain to come up with something—something that I could say that would erase the negativity and dislike you feel toward me, Scotty, Uncle Vince and Uncle Chris. My difficulty, I think, lies in the fact that I don’t know what there is to not understand about two people loving one another, and being happy for its existence.”

“What I do know is, no matter what your thoughts or feelings are as to my sexual orientation, I deserve to be treated with respect and that goes for Scotty too. He’s the greatest guy in the world. If it wasn’t for his insistence, we would not be having this conversation.”

“Sebastian, one, I don’t dislike you or Scott or Vinny and Chris. It’s the gay part I don’t like. The thought of two guys getting it on—well, to be honest, I get nauseated; sick to my stomach. Sorry, that’s just how I feel. Two, I think it just shocked me that you...Well, I always thought you liked girls. Are you sure you’re gay? I mean you’re only sixteen for God’s sake. Don’t you like girls?”

“Yeah, I like girls. But, just not the same way you do,” I answered.

“Didn’t you ever have sex or want to have sex with one? I mean weren’t you ever attracted to any?” Uncle Dom queried.

“If you mean, could I perform—probably. Have I ever wanted to? Yeah, but only because of hormones and lust—as you pointed out, I’m a teenager,” I snickered. “It would have been sex for sex’s sake, not because I felt something for the girl. I can think of a number of reasons I would have done it—but none that involved caring or love. See, Uncle Dom, that’s where it all changes for me. I don’t want to make your stomach churn, but it isn’t all about sex with Scotty. It is all about Scotty however. Let me ask you something. Is the only reason you married Aunt Mary because you wanted sex or because of a sexual attraction?”

“Well, of course not. Now don’t get me wrong,” as he turned to the doorway to make sure no one was there, and quietly said, “Your Aunt Mary is one hot potato, but beyond that she is a great person. She’s smart; a lot smarter than me. She is funny. She’s a great wife and mother. She, by the way, loves the both of you and was heartsick when you left yesterday.”

“Well, you see, Uncle Dom, that’s the way it is for me when it comes to Scotty. He is my best friend. He is the kindest most caring and gentle person I know. He’s intelligent, talented, and extremely generous. He accepts me knowing all my faults, which are many, and loves me despite them. He is supportive and takes an active interest in my day-to-day life. He has this uncanny ability to keep me focused as I am more apt to fly off the handle and be rash. Believe it or not, Scotty is a much stronger person than I. He’s fun and funny; he makes me laugh. I could probably go on and on about all the things I admire, like, appreciate and love about him. The point is my feelings for Scotty go way beyond the physical. I guess I’m hoping you will be happy and accept that aspect of my relationship with him and perhaps, put the distaste you have for male on male sex lower on the shelf. You see Uncle Dom, you and I love for the same reasons. It’s just you do it with a woman—that is the only difference.”

“Uncle Dom, I have never felt as alive and content with any of the girls I have ever dated or friends I have, as I feel with Scotty. I feel whole, my life feels whole…I find it almost impossible to describe…”

“Uh, excuse me Bash and Uncle Dom, but Aunt Mary asked me to bring your Coke,” Scotty said quietly and with tears streaming down his face.

Alarmed I got up and quickly went to him and wrapped my arms around him asking, “Are you okay? What’s the matter?”

“Nothing is the matter, everything is wonderful. I’m sorry, I wasn’t being nosey, but I overheard you…Bash, you’re easy to love believe me, as you are all those things you said about me and more.”

“Oh, here,” as he handed me my Coke, “I’ll leave you so you can continue your discussion,” as he brushed the tears from his eyes and turned to leave.

“Wait, Scott,” my uncle requested. “I’d like to talk with you, if you want to that is. Really wouldn’t blame you if you never wanted to speak to me again,” he contritely said while he kept his eyes on Scotty to see his reaction.

I gently took a hold of Scotty’s hand and started walking back over to where I was sitting. Scotty offered no resistance, as I knew he wouldn’t. It is not in Scotty’s nature to be bitter and hateful or hold a grudge. Seated, he looked Uncle Dom squarely in the eyes and stated, “Uncle Dom, I won’t pretend that what you said didn’t hurt, as it did. I also know you were feeling no pain from the booze, that and the fact you had no clue that Bash and I were together. I can imagine it shocked the heck out of you when suddenly you heard Bash nonchalantly make his revelation of us being partners. I also know you’re a really great guy and I have always liked you. Anyway, I guess what I’m saying is I’d like for us to get along.”

Uncle Dom softly replied, “I can only say I am so very sorry for what I said. And yes, it was probably partly the booze, and shock. That does not excuse me from saying something so hurtful, cruel, and unkind to someone who has been nothing but a great kid and always respectful toward me and my family. And, if I hear Sebastian right, now you are a part of this family. I just hope you can forgive me for what I said.”

“Already have Uncle Dom. I have felt like a part of this family long before your nephew ever got around to asking me to go with him. And, if that was a formal invitation to join the clan; I accept,” Scotty said with a smile. “Do Italians have clans?” He queried.

It was so Scotty; letting go, forgiving and moving on.

And move one we did, not knowing what lay in store in the months to come.

Copyright © 2011 Steven Keiths; All Rights Reserved.
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Scotty is a much better person than I am. I’m petty and vindictive – and I hold grudges, sometimes long after I’ve forgotten why they started. I wish I could be as forgiving as Scotty is.  ;–)

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..