Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

One Moonlit Night - 22. Chapter 22

Chapter Twenty-two

Final exams were almost over with less than three weeks of school left, and the prom was coming up in two weeks. Life was busy. I was headed over to the music department as Scotty was helping with the rehearsals of the five-piece band that would be playing for our prom. Dan, the keyboardist of the band had broken his wrist while skate boarding and was frantic as to what to do. As he was a friend, he asked Scotty if he would fill in. Scotty declined. After all it was his prom, but said he had the perfect person for the task—Bobby Arnold. Dan looked surprised. “Bobby Arnold the jock? He can play?” Scotty came back with, “No, but I figure we could put him in a Speedo and he could just stand up on stage by the keyboard and pose. Of course he can play, Dan, or I wouldn’t have recommended him.”

Bobby was taken aback, yet flattered, but in typical Bobby-esque fashion, filled with self-doubt, questioned whether he was good enough. Scotty and I reminded him that he was the guy who didn’t think he could wrestle either, only to be one of the few sophomores to make it to the State Wrestling Championships. With Scotty’s encouragement, he relented and agreed to do it.

Scotty told me that Bobby was actually a better keyboardist than Dan, and their style of music was what Bobby did best. He knew most of the numbers already and all he really had to do was familiarize himself with how the band, The Kool Kreatures, performed them. As I entered the music building, I could hear the energized and upbeat playing resound from fifty feet down the deserted hallway. Walking into the band room, I felt as though I would be blown back out of the room from the intensity of the volume. They sounded great and Bobby was really into it, rocking and bouncing to the beat with a big grin on his face. I could tell he was enjoying himself.

Scotty seeing me came over and was smiling, then loudly said to be heard above the din, “They sound really good don’t they?”

I nodded my head in agreement and replied just as loudly, “Bobby looks as though he is enjoying himself. You were right; he’s a real natural for this group.”

Scotty nodded his head as he danced in place, swaying his hips, once in a while, accidentally bumping against me and then looking at me, grinning with that cute sexy smile.

“You ready to call it a night?” I asked

“Wait, I want you to hear the next number. I think you’ll be surprised,” he stated.

The rock number ended and they segued into Unchained Melody. The purest voice came through the speakers and I turned to Scotty, my mouth agape. “That’s Bobby singing?” I said amazed.

“Yep, I knew he sang with his church choir, but I had no idea he had such a beautiful voice. I’ve only ever coached him with his piano lessons. He mainly does harmony with this group, but none of the other members are very good at singing ballad-type songs. Proms have to have a few love songs thrown in, so once they heard Bobby’s voice, he unanimously was elected to sing them. He’ll be a hit at the Prom that’s for sure,” Scotty averred.

When the song was completed, Scotty and I applauded. Bobby blushed, but smiled and said thanks. Scotty told everyone he thought they sounded great, and he felt Bobby was a good fit. The others all agreed with Scotty’s assessment, including a very appreciative Dan, their regular keyboard player. He thanked Bobby for filling in, especially on such short notice. He even mentioned that perhaps Bobby would consider joining their group. Bobby, smiling, said he’d give it some serious thought.

Walking home that night after the rehearsal Scotty set to interrogating me. Had I remembered to order a corsage for Michelle? Did I make an appointment to have my final alterations on my tuxedo and switch the cummerbund color to match Michelle’s gown? Did I get black shoe polish for our shoes? Did I make an appointment with Beth to have my haircut? Did I buy film for the camera?

After I assured him I had it covered, he got this sneaky little smile on his face and then asked, “Ah, did you rent a limousine yet?”

“Huh, you didn’t say anything about renting a limousine—uh, did you?” I queried.

“Well, are you saying you were going to take me, Becky and Michelle to the prom in your Honda?” he replied.

“Uh, well yeah, that was my plan. That’s why I’m having it all washed, waxed and detailed. Would you rather we ask your dad if we could borrow the van? Uh, by the way, how much does it cost to rent a limo? I only know of a few guys with bucks, who are renting limos for the prom. And where in the heck around here do you get one?” I asked. Seeing the smirk on his face, I knew he must be pulling my leg and I said, “You didn’t mention anything to me about renting a limo, you’re just joking? Right?”

He just gave me this look—well, to be honest I couldn’t quite read it. Then I became concerned. Scotty wasn’t pretentious and I could not figure why he would want a limousine. “Uh, do you really want to go to the prom in a limo?”

He didn’t answer. Instead he asked me if I had a passport. “What? Why do I need a passport to go to the prom?” I asked, confused.

“Well, you don’t need a passport to go to the prom, silly. However, you will need one to accompany me to Australia in September,” he said with an evil little smile. “I was teasing you about the limo, kind of. Though we will be going to the prom in a stretch limo,” he said.

Then I became really confused. “What do you mean? What are you talking about? You’re not making any sense to me,” I said as we approached my house. “Limousines, passports, Australia in September? What’s going on?” I quizzed.

As we were walking up the porch steps, he told me that his agent had called and asked if he’d be interested in performing for the Sydney Symphony at the famous Sydney Opera House Concert Hall. The Australian Performing Arts committee was anxious to fit him into their spring/summer schedule. They had actually tried to get him at an earlier time, but Scotty’s prior bookings would not permit it. They had a performer who had to cancel due to health concerns and they were in a bind, so called Scotty’s agent to see if Scotty might be available. Knowing I had plans for our anniversary, he did tell his agent he would get back to him within twenty-four hours with an answer. Then looking at me, he said, “Bash, now if you would rather I not do this, as I know you wanted to do something special with me, so tell me. If they want me then, they’ll want me later too. I just…Well, you tell me what you want.”

“Were you serious when you said I could go with you to Australia?” I asked.

“Yes, that and a limo for the prom were some extras I bargained for,” he said with a smile. “But that isn’t what’s important. What’s important is if you will be upset in having to change your plans.”

“Well, my little haggler, what I wanted to do was take you back to Shanty by the Sea for our anniversary. So, the September trip wouldn’t interfere with those plans at all. I’m going to have to rearrange the plans anyway as you won’t be back in time from your July performance. So, promise me you’ll give me a week in August.”

“Ah, I’m sorry Bash, but the July concert was planned a long time ago. I thought you knew that.”

“Uh, In my excitement to surprise you, I forgot, but no problem, I’m sure Chuck and Isaiah will understand. Anyway, do we have a deal for August?”

You got a deal, oh, and thanks babe. Let me go call George to let him know to accept the engagement. Then I’ll tell you all about it. I’ll be right back.” Looking around and seeing no one, he gave me a kiss. Then he ran home to make the call to George, his agent. I called Chuck and Isaiah to rebook for the latter part of August. I gave them the reason for my July cancellation. I also told them about Scotty performing at the Sydney Opera House in September. They said they looked forward to seeing us in August. They also said they hoped we had a great time in Sydney and expected to see lots of pictures of sexy Australians, and of course, hearing about our trip.

***[ ]***

“Now don’t take too much off the top or make it too short,” Scotty instructed Beth.

“Scott Anthony Tucker, do I tell you how to play your piano?” she replied.

“Well, no, but you don’t run your fingers through my piano…” He abruptly halted as Beth glared at him. “Okay, okay. I think I’ll go get a Coke. Anyone else want anything?” He asked. “Oh, and Bash, think about who else you’d like to ask to ride in the limo with us. It’ll seat at least five more couples comfortably.”

The limousine Scotty procured was a real beauty. Scotty and I asked Billy Farmer, Gordon Starky, and Jerry Watson if they and their dates would like to share the limousine with us and they readily and excitedly accepted. Michelle asked a friend of hers, Emily, if she and her date, Joe Weitzel, would like to come also. Joe came from a poor family. He and Emily had been sweethearts for most of their high school years. Joe and I had been friends for just as long. Emily said she’d ask but was concerned that Joe might feel uncomfortable with the idea. She also didn’t want him to think she wouldn’t be just as happy to accompany him in his old pick up truck. I told Emily that I’d lay some ground work before she approached him about it.

At lunch that after noon I saw Joe enter the cafeteria. “Hey, Joe, come here a minute, I have a favor to ask,” I yelled from across the room. Joe came over with his brown-bagged lunch and sat down. Joe was a real nice guy. He was a pretty quiet, not unfriendly, but in a group, he sat on the periphery and mostly listened. Because his family wasn’t well off, he worked as much time as the law would allow in order to help out at home. Though poor, Mrs. Weitzel was the first to make a big pot of chicken soup and visit someone if ill. Joe was a lot like his mom in that regard. If you needed a ride or help doing something, he was the first one to offer a hand. “Joe, ah, Scotty got this big limousine for the prom. Well, actually, his agent got it, and well, uh, Scotty really feels uncomfortable with just him and me and our dates arriving at the prom in it. It’s huge. So, we were wondering if you and Emily could share it with us. We’ve asked a couple of other people too. Michelle said she asked Emily, but Emily said she had to ask you, so if she asks, that’s why. It would be really neat if you could do it and I think you and Emily would enjoy it too. Let me know later if you can; maybe you can convince Emily.”

“Well, sure Bash, if Em agrees. Though, I think I can convince her. It’ll be better than my beat up old truck, that’s for sure. Will you need money for gas or anything?” He asked.

“Nah, that’s all taken care of, you see this orchestra in Australia really wants Scotty to come play, so they offered some perks, okay they bribed him. So you see it’s all covered. Let me know what Emily says. Oh, and another thing, sometime next week could you give me a hand changing my oil. I’ve never done it and I’m trying to save some money by doing it myself. Only thing is, I don’t know how,” I said with a sheepish grin.

“Sure, sure thing, no problem, but it’ll have to be on Sunday after church.”

“Great. I’ll come over to your place around 1:00 next Sunday then. And thanks.”

“Anytime Bash. Damn, look at the time. I gotta’ get to class. See ya’ Sunday. Oh, and thanks for asking me an Em to ride with you guys. I’ve never been in a limo.”

“Happy you can share it with us, Joe.”

***[ ]***

The night before the prom Scotty came over and looked a little down. I asked him what was the matter and he said, “Are you sure you don’t want to be my date for the prom?”

“Well, yeah, I want to, but…What’s the matter?” I asked.

“I just got a call from Becky, and her grandfather passed away. She and her family have to go to Raleigh for the funeral. She has to miss the prom. I feel sad for her as she and her grandfather were close, that and she doesn’t get to attend her senior prom,” Scotty said sadly. “Now I get to go stag.”

“Well, we can both escort Michelle. She’ll love hanging on the arms of two of Cleona High’s best looking guys.” I added, “In my head I’m going with you anyway. Michelle’s just a front,” I said in a whisper. He leaned over, gave me a kiss and told me I was sweet.

I did call Michelle to see what she thought of the idea and she said she’d be happy to do it. “After all,” she said, “Being escorted by one of the hottest, cutest, and most talented guys at Cleona High, along with you Bash, how could I refuse?”

“Thanks—I think,” I responded.

The night of the prom, we went around picking everyone up with the limo. Of course pictures had to be taken by all the proud mom’s and dad’s. Scotty and I were glad we started out early or we would have never gotten to the prom until it was half over. We did do a side trip after Joe picked up Emily. Before we picked up Joe, we told everyone that we were going to surprise him after picking up Emily. We explained to them that we were going to drive back to Joe’s so his mom, dad and little sister could take pictures of Emily and him by the limo. Scotty and I thought it would be special, and something that would be memorable for them.

An appreciative Joe whispered, “you guys didn’t need to do this.” We just smiled and patted him on the back. Joe insisted we get some group shots too, then asked sheepishly if it would be okay to take some with him and Em, his sister and parents by the limo. Mr. Weitzel, who was in a wheelchair tried to bow out, but his son insisted that he be in a few of the pictures.

“Ah, you don’t want some cripple in your pictures,” Mr. Weitzel said.

Joe replied, “You’re right I don’t, but I do want my dad in them, so wheel your butt over here or I’ll sic Mom on ya’.”

We were fashionably late arriving at the prom, but no one seemed to mind. Seeing the proud and happy looks of Joe’s family was worth it—to all of us.

Bradley Toller, III’s limousine was ahead of ours and only he and his date exited. Sharing it would never have crossed his mind. We may have looked like a cavalcade of clowns piling out of a VW, but we had a great time and enjoyed the camaraderie during our ride. Michelle held Scotty’s and my hands as we entered the crepe decorated gymnasium. The band was in full swing and volume, and people were already dancing and having a good time.

Every school has their prankster who tries to spike the punch: ours was no exception. But every school has that on eagle-eyed chaperon to catch them also. Jason the Jokester met the eagle. Mr. Adamson, the history teacher, quietly snuck up behind Jason and quietly relieved him of his bottle of vodka that he was preparing to pour into the punch bowl. Mr. A. didn’t say anything nor ask Jason to leave. He just smiled, pocketed the bottle, and walked away shaking his head as if to say, ‘you’ll have to get up pretty early in the morning to get by me.’ Along with the prankster, there is the school bully too. Again, our school was no exception. Scotty said he wanted to talk with Mr. Perino, the music teacher for a moment, so he and Michelle headed across the dance floor where he was standing. “Uh, Scotty,” I said, “Isn’t Michelle my date?”

They exchanged glances, then Scotty said to Michelle, “I thought you said that Bash was just tagging along and wouldn’t interfere with our having a good time.”

“Well, I guess I wasn’t clear in my definition of his role when he asked if he could ride in the limo with us,” she replied and continued to walk away with Scotty, she flashing a ‘gotcha’ grin.

The band was taking a break and as Bobby came off the stage, several students complimenting him on his voice immediately surrounded him. Many, as Scotty and I, didn’t realize he could sing so well. I was mainly standing and looking around when out of the corner of my eye I noticed Brad Toller secretly handing Bo Morton, the school bully, what appeared to be money. I couldn’t imagine Brad associating with the likes of Bo, so kept an eye on him. Bobby finally managed to excuse himself from his admiring fans and headed to the boys’ room. It was then I saw Bo, looking surreptitiously around, then went in the same direction as Bobby. An alarm went off in my head, so I decided to follow him. Before heading in that direction, I told Billy Farmer, not to make a fuss, but to go get Mr. Hastinger and have him come to the boys’ room. When I arrived, one of Bo’s minions was standing outside the restroom door and tried to keep me from entering. “Greg,” if you don’t get out of my way, I’m gonna’ break your kneecaps. Now move it.” Greg knew better than to tangle with me, so did as I commanded.

“Screw you Bo, now get the hell away from me,” Bobby yelled. “Oh, no ya’ little fag, you’re gonna suck this for me.” I walked in just in time to see the big-bodied Bo with his cock sticking straight out from his fly. He had hadn’t heard me come in. “Jesus, Bo,” I said in mock surprise. “I didn’t know you were gay. Now don’t get me wrong, I don’t really care if you are.”

“Huh? What da’ ya’ mean? I’m not gay. Arnolds the fag,” he said. “Well, Bo, you’re the one with the hard-on—not a very impressive one, but a hard-on nonetheless. And I’ve seen Bobby in the shower; he’s definitely a guy…Uh, Bobby,” do you want to have sex with Bo,” I asked? “Hell, no!” Bobby loudly stated. “Well, Bo, there you have it. Bobby doesn’t want to, but you do. Hmmm, wait ‘til this gets out: Beauregard Morton, wanting to have sex with another guy—a sophomore yet.” “You’re 18 too, aren’t you Bo? I think that’s called statutory rape, even if Bobby was willing—which he isn’t. Then I think is just plain old rape.”

“Uh wait, Cocchetti..it’s not like that at all, uh, I mean, uh, Toller said Arnold would want to do it. Hell, he even gave me twenty bucks if I’d rough him up a little afterwards.”

Just then Mr. Hastinger came rushing into the boy’s room. “What the hell’s going on here?” he asked, as he noticed Bo’s dick still hanging out his fly. That was definitely not a state in which the school bully wanted to be caught.

With a lot of trembling, Bo managed to get his dick back in his pants. He nervously told Coach Hastinger what Brad proposed and paid him to do, he then said, “Brad had heard from Old Lady Bentley that Tucker was gay too, and he intended to have a little ‘fun’ with him tonight.” There was no doubt what was implied by the word ‘fun.’

“What?” I screamed. “I’ll kill that son-of-a-bitch if he lays one hand on Scotty.” I and Billy Farmer who had come with Coach Hastinger, raced from the restroom. I nervous and scared returned to the gymnasium to find Scotty. Billy and I split up and combed through the mass of students. I finally saw Michelle, ran over to her and pushed my way between the kids she was conversing with and asked where Scotty was. Surprised at my behavior, she informed me that Brad had come up and asked if he could speak to Scotty about a Bach concerto or something like that, and because of the noise asked if they could step outside. “Which way did they go?” I screamed. Shocked by my outburst, she wordlessly pointed to a side exit door. I frantically rushed outside but there was no one in sight. In my rage, I was reliving the theatre incident of two years ago. Tears were running down my cheeks as I rushed in a panicked state down the side of the building. Listening and looking for any sign of Scotty in the dark night.

Copyright © 2011 Steven Keiths; All Rights Reserved.
  • Love 1
  • Angry 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Brad isn't very smart. He had to know that the Prom would be well supervised and yet he thinks he can assault Scotty on school property. Sending Bo to assault Bobby was an interesting distraction though. It's amazing how many homophobic bullies want to have sex with another male though. There's a strong correlation between internalized homophobia and anti-LGBTQ attacks.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..