Jump to content
    totallyy
  • Author
  • 280 Words
  • 664 Views
  • 2 Comments
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Feelings I Don't Know How to Say Otherwise. - 7. Run

No one told you. You searched for a warmth in the blizzards, a light in the dark, a flicker in the still air. You went through throngs of bodies, their remains piling up against atop each other, pushing and shoving until they all turned still. You lie quietly, pressed up against all those heated bodies: your spine against a limp arm, your chest against a plaster wall. You breathe quietly but the air rushes forth, screeching between the crevices of your teeth. Your eyes flicker from dark spot to dark spot, trying to see where there is nothing to be seen. You think you hear voices in the next room, but you know the four walls echo with the silence of vacancy. You tell yourself to reign in your imagination, to leash the feral thoughts that snapped and growled in your mind. You think back to the naive days, when you thought you could outrun this awful feeling: a constant grasping at your ankles, slowing down your steps. You ran faster, stretching those hamstrings, widening those strides. You took to the air, in a metal bird, that traversed oceans. But you didn’t stop there, you continued running. You ran through nights and ran through people. You ran past thoughts and ran past warnings. Now you’ve run out: out of people, out of places. The mound of cold bodies lay beside you in your bed as they squeeze you closer to the edge. You turn to face them, because you think anything would be better than nothing. But then they vanish and there is nothing again: nothing but you.

No one told you that you couldn’t outrun your loneliness.

Copyright © 2015 totallyy; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

This bit: "... screeching between the crevices of your teeth" gave me chills! Really excellent and descriptive writing. A beautiful account of someone who conquers loneliness and inadequacy by stepping on the backs of others.

Following this. I love prose.

Link to comment
On 02/10/2014 02:58 PM, Aaron Penrose said:
This bit: "... screeching between the crevices of your teeth" gave me chills! Really excellent and descriptive writing. A beautiful account of someone who conquers loneliness and inadequacy by stepping on the backs of others.

Following this. I love prose.

Thank you so much for the great review :) I'm glad you enjoyed the piece.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..