Jump to content
    Valkyrie
    • Signature Author
  • 2,051 Words
  • 2,295 Views
  • 37 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Our Christmas Cookbook - 7. Insulin Resistance

Insulin Resistance

By Valkyrie

Sunlight glimmered off the pristine blue water of the mountain lake, so bright I had to shield my eyes with my hand. As I walked along the sandy shore, the cold water lapped around my bare ankles, contrasting with the warmth of the sun like a yin/yang symbol. Rocky peaks covered with a canopy of colorful leaves surrounded me. The bright red and orange foliage gave the impression the trees were on fire as the brilliant light gleamed off them. It was paradise. Well, it would have been, if Billy had been with me.

A low rumbling sound made me stop in my tracks. I watched in horror as small rocks tumbled down the mountainside, followed by large boulders. The mountains were crumbling before my eyes. The earth shook as they slammed into the ground, causing the water in the lake to lurch and splash up my legs, soaking my shorts. My heart pounded in my chest as a large fissure opened in front of me, collapsing the ground into it. Even if I had time to run, there was nowhere to escape to. I closed my eyes as I fell, imagining myself as Gandalf fighting the Balrog, hoping it would be over quickly….

I flailed my arms and legs and sat upright, gasping for breath. I clutched the arms of the couch to reassure myself I wasn’t actually falling, and there weren’t any giant boulders crushing me or Balrogs waiting to smite me. Damn if that wasn’t one hell of a life-like dream.

I jumped when the slamming sound continued, and wiped my face with my hands in a futile attempt to get rid of the sleep-fog surrounding my brain. “What the fuck?” I muttered. The sound was coming from the kitchen.

I rose and headed toward the sound of cupboards being slammed shut and muttered curses. Billy was ransacking our cupboards and throwing away our food, smashing and banging everything in the process. I’d never seen him so upset. I grabbed his forearm as he was just about to throw away the double-stuff Oreos I had bought the previous day. They were his favorite snack food.

“Babe! What the fuck are you doing? I just bought those!”

He scowled and yanked his arm away, then threw the cookies across the room. “Get them out of here.”

I scrunched my brow. “What the fuck’s going on?”

“I can’t eat any of this shit anymore. So get rid of it all. I can’t look at it right now.” He handed me the garbage bag full of junk food and stormed out of the kitchen. I stared after him, wondering what the hell was going on.

I let the heavy plastic bag slide from my hands, then followed my stricken husband. He was in the living room, sulking on the couch. He’d flipped the TV station away from the food show I was watching before I fell asleep and was staring at Homer Simpson as he had donut after donut shoveled into his face by the devil. He turned the TV off and threw the remote onto the coffee table.

I sat next to him and put my arm around his shoulders. He turned into me and hugged me tightly. “What’s wrong?” I said into his hair.

“I have diabetes.”

Fuck. I had totally forgotten about his doctor appointment. “Diabetes? But you haven’t shown any symptoms. Are they sure?” He’d gone for a routine physical. How the hell could he have diabetes?

“My blood sugar was really high on my bloodwork, and my A1C was 8.0. Which means diabetes.”

“I’m sorry… what can we do?”

“Well, the doc gave me some medication to try. And I have to cut out the sweets and carbs. She seems to think I can manage it with ‘lifestyle changes’.” He snorted.

“Okay… it sounds manageable.” I rubbed his back. I was worried, though. Diabetes could have serious complications.

“Manageable. I can’t eat anything I like anymore.”

“So, what can you eat?”

“Meat, veggies. That’s about it.”

Getting my husband to eat veggies was like pulling teeth. He was a total meat, potatoes, and pasta man. “Did they give you any information? Diet tips?”

“Right now, all I want to do is curl up and feel sorry for myself. I need some time with this.” He inhaled and nuzzled closer into my shoulder. “Take my mind off this, please.”

I kissed him, and did as he asked.

***

“What the fuck? Why would you buy these?” Billy scowled as he held up a box of fudge-covered, coconut caramel cookies.

“Because I like them,” I responded, apparently a bit too sarcastically.

“You know I can’t eat these.”

“Well I can. I shouldn’t have to limit myself because you have to.”

His eyes widened and he walked out of the kitchen wordlessly—back ramrod straight. I winced, knowing I’d crossed a line. Billy had been struggling since his diagnosis. Staying away from sweets was especially difficult. He loved cake and ice cream and chocolate. His last doctor appointment hadn’t gone well and there was the possibility he’d have to go on insulin if his numbers didn’t improve soon. We were both miserable, and I’d had enough. He had to watch what he ate.

I didn’t.

Why should I have to suffer too?

I finished putting the groceries away, shutting the cabinets a little harder than necessary and muttering under my breath, getting more and more aggravated. When I was done, I found Billy in the living room, watching the news. I was tempted to grab a handful of cookies and stuff them in my face right in front of him, but immediately felt like an asshole for thinking that.

He muted the TV and turned to me. “Look. I know you don’t have to follow the same diet I do. And I don’t expect you to. But can you at least do me the favor of not doing it around me? It’s hard enough at work with all the pizza, birthday cakes, and donuts. If I hear ‘one small piece won’t kill you’ one more time, I’m going to scream.” He inhaled and took my hand. “It’s a constant battle, so I could really use your support. I can’t tell you how much this sucks. Giving up my favorites really sucks.”

I drew him close, feeling like a fool. His words made me realize how selfish I’d been. I’d only been thinking about how this affected me, and not what my poor husband was going through.

“I’m sorry. Tell you what… I’ll take all the junk to work and have it there as my snack. I didn’t realize how hard this was for you. I can’t say I won’t have the occasional piece of junk in front of you, but I’ll do better. I promise.”

He tightened his arms around me. “Thank you.”

“I love you.”

“Love you too.”

****

Since I did the majority of the cooking, I had to change how I did my meal-planning. Instead of the usual protein, vegetable, starch, I learned how to make balanced meals using meat and veg. I bought low carb cookbooks and joined some online recipe-sharing groups. At first, I scoffed at using cauliflower instead of rice or potatoes. I used to make fun of people who insisted the substitutions were just as good as the real thing. I’d make our meals, then scarf as much junk as I could when Billy wasn’t around. Strangely, as I gained prowess as a low-carb cook, I found I wanted the crappy stuff less and less. Mashed cauliflower tasted better to me than potatoes. And I even made a killer pizza crust out of cauliflower and cheese. Who knew this stuff could actually be good?

Even though Billy was the one with the health issues, I found myself having more energy, and my clothes fit looser. Billy’s numbers finally looked better, so he didn’t have to go on insulin. We took daily walks together in the evening and our sex life had never been better.

Then I came home from work one day to find him sitting on the couch, staring at a piece of paper. His shoulders were slumped and his hands clutched whatever he was holding, crumpling it.

“What’s wrong, babe?” I sat next to him and put my arm around his shoulders. Alarm flooded through me. I hoped it wasn’t bad news from the doctor.

He leaned into me and sighed. I took the paper from him. It was his grandmother’s recipe for gingerbread—his favorite Christmas treat. The holiday was only a couple of weeks away, and I hadn’t even considered the ramifications for Billy.

No stuffing.

No mashed potatoes smothered in gravy.

No sweet potato casserole.

No dessert.

Fuck.

I drew him into a hug. I’d figure something out.

 

Billy struggled in the days leading up to his favorite holiday. He felt sick one night, and confessed he’d eaten some candy. I thought I’d gotten rid of it all, but he’d hidden some from me. To say I was angry was an understatement. I didn’t understand how he could risk his health like that.

I’d gotten pretty good at making low carb meals, but one area I’d never explored was alternative baked goods and desserts. I learned there were lots of options for diabetic people and people who wanted to eat low carb. So I called Billy’s mom—who was hosting Christmas this year—and we made some plans.

 

“I don’t want to go.” Billy covered his head with the blanket.

The mattress squeaked as I turned toward him. “You have to.”

“I don’t have to do anything. I’m an adult.”

I rolled my eyes. Yeah, he was sure acting like one. “Babe, this is your favorite holiday. You don’t want to disappoint your nieces and nephews do you? And what about your parents and grandma?”

“They’ll get over it.”

“Are you serious? Put your big boy pants on and get the fuck out of bed.”

He lowered the blanket and fixed me with a look of death. “I don’t think you understand. I won’t be able to control myself today. And I don’t want to end up in the hospital with my blood sugar sky high.”

“You trust me, right?”

He narrowed his eyes. “Maybe.”

I smiled. “Trust me. Everything will be OK.”

He nodded after staring at me for a minute. “If I need to leave early, please don’t give me shit over it.”

“Deal.”

 

“What’s this? Why is there two of everything?” Billy furrowed his brow in the most adorable way.

“Mark called me a couple of weeks ago, and we made some additions to the menu. This stuffing is made with almond flour and the gingerbread is sugar-free. So you don’t have to feel deprived of your favorites,” his mom replied, smiling.

He turned toward me and raised an eyebrow. “He did, huh?”

I nodded. “He did.”

He hated showing emotion in front of people, so hid his tears in my sweater as he hugged me. “Thank you,” he whispered.

 

Low Carb Gingerbread Cookie Bars

Ingredients:

· 2 cups almond flour

· 1 ½ tbsp. ground ginger

· 1 tsp ground cinnamon

· ¼ tsp ground cloves

· ½ tsp baking soda

· ¼ tsp salt

· ¼ cup (half stick) of softened butter

· ¼ cup coconut oil

· ½ cup monkfruit/erithrytol blend sweetener (or sweetener of choice)

· 1 large egg

· ½ tsp vanilla

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 325 F. Grease 8” x 8” baking dish

2. In a large bowl, mix together the almond flour, spices, baking soda, and salt.

3. In a separate bowl, beat the butter and coconut oil together until smooth, then beat in the sweetener until incorporated fully.

4. Beat in egg and vanilla extract until combined. Then add almond flour mixture and beat until well-combined.

5. Spread dough into the baking dish and bake for 25 minutes. The cookie will puff up, then become firm as it cools.

6. Cool for 20 minutes before serving. It will disintegrate if served hot. They’re better when served cool or cold, and are quite tasty after being frozen. They’re also good served warm with low-carb ice cream.

The holidays can be tough for people with dietary restrictions, especially when you have to watch others eat all your favorites which are now off-limits. There are plenty of tasty alternatives out there, though, and I'm making this particular recipe for my Christmas dessert this year. I've made it once and was surprised at how good it was. The texture took a little getting used to at first, but this is going to be my 'go-to' recipe for special occasions. Check out my pic in the Gallery. I hope this helps anyone who needs to eat sugar free or gluten free or both.
Copyright © 2019 Valkyrie, aditus, Cole Matthews; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 8
  • Love 11
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



I really like this one.  I'm definitely going to try this recipe. I have all the ingredients in the house too.

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Awesome story. It shows how difficult it an be to change your diet when you get a diabetes diagnosis. But now you can make some fabulous meals for diabetics, including biscuits and cakes. It’s no longer the horror it used to be receiving a diagnosis. 
I know because my husband is diabetic and I’m not. I love the gingerbread recipe.

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
34 minutes ago, Terry P said:

I really like this one.  I'm definitely going to try this recipe. I have all the ingredients in the house too.

Awesome!  Let me know how you like it :)  

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
27 minutes ago, chris191070 said:

Awesome story. It shows how difficult it an be to change your diet when you get a diabetes diagnosis. But now you can make some fabulous meals for diabetics, including biscuits and cakes. It’s no longer the horror it used to be receiving a diagnosis. 
I know because my husband is diabetic and I’m not. I love the gingerbread recipe.

Thanks so much :) You are so right about there being really good food for diabetics now.  I started eating low carb around ten years ago and don't feel deprived at all.  One of the things I never really got the hang of (or really liked, to be honest) were the low carb baked goods and desserts.  But after trying this, I can see there's been a lot of strides made in that department since I started.  So now I'm more open to trying more of them.  

  • Love 2
Link to comment

Thank you for this nice story en recipe. I am not diabetic but many are. Only in the Netherlands already more than 1,2 million. 

And we want to eat with them at social events. 

  • Love 3
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
4 minutes ago, dutch woman said:

Thank you for this nice story en recipe. I am not diabetic but many are. Only in the Netherlands already more than 1,2 million. 

And we want to eat with them at social events. 

Thank you for reading and commenting :) I find most people and places are pretty accommodating when it comes to food sensitivities.  Which is really quite nice. 

  • Love 2
Link to comment

Years ago I discovered that I am allergic to soy, poultry, and crustaceans. I can totally relate to Billy, suddenly having limitations with food is never easy especially if you have to give up food you really really like. Another difficult thing about it is not being able to enjoy eating out, parties, and holidays. I always have to be cautious and ask “what’s in it” first before I can eat.

Edited by nix
  • Love 3
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
32 minutes ago, nix said:

Years ago I discovered that I am allergic to soy, poultry, and crustaceans. I can totally relate to Billy, suddenly having limitations with food is never easy especially if you have to give up food you really really like. Another difficult thing about it is not being able to enjoy eating out, parties, and holidays. I always have to be cautious and ask “what’s in it” first before I can eat.

Soy is a tough one, since they put it in almost everything.  I couldn't eat dairy for over ten years, but am able to tolerate it now.  And now I can't eat sugar or carbs, so I totally understand about having to ask what's in your food.  It's amazing what they put in things, that you'd never expect.  

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment

It would be easier for me if I could claim a medical reason for not eating certain foods. My brothers and sisters-in-law used to grumble about my refusing to eat fish and certain vegetables (onions, squash, eggplant). A lot of that has to do with having too much of it served to me when I was growing up.

I know I eat too many carbs. But I cannot give up on rice, sourdough bread, and ice cream! Those are the trilogy of my cultural heritage!
;–)

Link to comment

I was diagnosed in February with an A1C of 12.9. I made drastic lifestyle changes but for the most part haven't changed my diet. Just the portions (which are much more manageable), and cut out soda completely. My A1C dropped to 6.2 in just six months and I am no longer taking insulin. Woohoo!!! This story is accurate in what many feel on so many levels. For me, it was a I knew this was coming so I dealt with it and have with great success. I wish others to experience success as well. Honestly though, no matter what my doc says, I'm not giving up my chocolate shakes from Braum's. lol. Definitely gonna try these cookies. If I tell my family they are healthy, they might leave them alone. 😂 Kudos on another excellent story Val.

  • Love 3
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
13 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

It would be easier for me if I could claim a medical reason for not eating certain foods. My brothers and sisters-in-law used to grumble about my refusing to eat fish and certain vegetables (onions, squash, eggplant). A lot of that has to do with having too much of it served to me when I was growing up.

I know I eat too many carbs. But I cannot give up on rice, sourdough bread, and ice cream! Those are the trilogy of my cultural heritage!
;–)

Everybody has likes and dislikes when it comes to food, and there's nothing wrong with that.  I despise peas, but lots of people like them.  And tastes change over time too.  I don't like foods I used to like and vice versa.  I love pasta, ice cream, and sweets.  Giving them up was hard, but once I did, I found I crave them less.  There's a meme I see frequently on FB that says something to the effect of it being more powerful saying "I don't eat that" vs "I can't eat that".  The intimation is that it's giving you the power and choice to eat something or not.  Personally, that doesn't work for me.  Mainly because I CAN'T eat that.  I can't eat sugar or a lot of carbs because it threatens my health.  So there's a bright line for me that I won't cross because I don't want to deal with the nasty effects of diabetes.  I'm lucky.  Mine was caught early and I've reduced my health numbers back to the normal range with diet changes only.  I want to keep it that way.  Every once in a while someone will say to me "So you can never have pizza or cake or ice cream...etc?" "What about just a little bit.  It won't kill you."   No, it won't kill me, but I'm not jeopardizing my health and risking my numbers going back up.  So I'll make the low carb desserts and eat the low carb ice cream as an occasional treat, and stick with eating meat  and veg and cauli crust pizza.  I'm satisfied and healthy and very happy eating that way.  

There's nothing wrong with eating carbs, as long as your body can process them properly.  So have a nice piece of sourdough toast for me, with a Ben and Jerry's chaser :hug: 

  • Love 2
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
3 minutes ago, LilDaddy98 said:

I was diagnosed in February with an A1C of 12.9. I made drastic lifestyle changes but for the most part haven't changed my diet. Just the portions (which are much more manageable), and cut out soda completely. My A1C dropped to 6.2 in just six months and I am no longer taking insulin. Woohoo!!! This story is accurate in what many feel on so many levels. For me, it was a I knew this was coming so I dealt with it and have with great success. I wish others to experience success as well. Honestly though, no matter what my doc says, I'm not giving up my chocolate shakes from Braum's. lol. Definitely gonna try these cookies. If I tell my family they are healthy, they might leave them alone. 😂 Kudos on another excellent story Val.

Wow!  Congrats on the drop in your A1C :D  I was diagnosed this spring and was pretty much blindsided by it.  I've dropped my A1C from 7.5 to 5.9 in six months and also lost 40 pounds by returning to eating low carb. I feel awesome, and that's very motivating to me to continue.  Thanks for sharing your experience and keep up the awesome work :hug: 

  • Love 3
Link to comment
5 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

There's nothing wrong with eating carbs, as long as your body can process them properly.  So have a nice piece of sourdough toast for me, with a Ben and Jerry's chaser :hug: 

My doctor says I’m pre-diabetic and need to lose 15 lbs (she needs to lose about twice that amount).

Link to comment
3 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

My doctor says I’m pre-diabetic and need to lose 15 lbs (she needs to lose about twice that amount).

I'm cursed as my doctor is actually very physically fit so I kinda have to take him seriously. The fact that he's hot makes me feel like I'm back in high school trying to impress my crush. 😂

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
2 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

My doctor says I’m pre-diabetic and need to lose 15 lbs (she needs to lose about twice that amount).

Why is it necessary to make the comment about the doctor's weight?  She's a medical professional giving you medical advice.  Her weight has nothing to do with her medical knowledge.  

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
7 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

Wow!  Congrats on the drop in your A1C :D  I was diagnosed this spring and was pretty much blindsided by it.  I've dropped my A1C from 7.5 to 5.9 in six months and also lost 40 pounds by returning to eating low carb. I feel awesome, and that's very motivating to me to continue.  Thanks for sharing your experience and keep up the awesome work :hug: 

:hug:

  • Love 4
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
2 minutes ago, LilDaddy98 said:

I'm cursed as my doctor is actually very physically fit so I kinda have to take him seriously. The fact that he's hot makes me feel like I'm back in high school trying to impress my crush. 😂

I'm lucky to have a doctor who listens to me.   She put me on metformin after my initial diagnosis, but the side effects were so horrible I had to stop taking it.  I said I felt I could manage it though lifestyle changes and she agreed with me.  I quite happy to prove her right at my second follow up appointment.  I've heard so many stories about doctors who just push meds and don't listen to their patients.  lol at the impressing your high school crush comment :gikkle:  

  • Love 4
Link to comment

I love gingerbread "cake" more than gingerbread men. Especially with peppermint whipped cream! Don't get me wrong, the cookies are good, too, but given my druthers....   :gikkle:  This looks like a very good recipe, and with the lack of carbs, it might help keep the waistline trim during the holiday season.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
Just now, Page Scrawler said:

I love gingerbread "cake" more than gingerbread men. Especially with peppermint whipped cream! Don't get me wrong, the cookies are good, too, but given my druthers....   :gikkle:  This looks like a very good recipe, and with the lack of carbs, it might help keep the waistline trim during the holiday season.

These are more brownie-like vs the traditional gingerbread men type cookie.  I love gingerbread in any form.  My grandma had a really good gingerbread 'cake' recipe and it was one of my favorites.

  • Love 3
Link to comment
23 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

I'm lucky to have a doctor who listens to me.   She put me on metformin after my initial diagnosis, but the side effects were so horrible I had to stop taking it.  I said I felt I could manage it though lifestyle changes and she agreed with me.  I quite happy to prove her right at my second follow up appointment.  I've heard so many stories about doctors who just push meds and don't listen to their patients.  lol at the impressing your high school crush comment :gikkle:  

I agree about some of them pushing meds. I was on one that has no generic and the price blew my mind once I learned what it was. I was paying 40/month through a program but the actual price was closer to 700/month. I'm down to just three meds now and thankfully haven't had any of the side effects to deal with. Hopefully, I'll be off all meds within a year. 

  • Love 3
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
12 minutes ago, LilDaddy98 said:

I agree about some of them pushing meds. I was on one that has no generic and the price blew my mind once I learned what it was. I was paying 40/month through a program but the actual price was closer to 700/month. I'm down to just three meds now and thankfully haven't had any of the side effects to deal with. Hopefully, I'll be off all meds within a year. 

It sounds like you're on the right track to going off all your meds :hug:  I wish you continued success :) 

  • Love 2
Link to comment
Just now, Valkyrie said:

It sounds like you're on the right track to going off all your meds :hug:  I wish you continued success :) 

Thank you. And to you as well. :hug:

  • Love 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Valkyrie said:

Why is it necessary to make the comment about the doctor's weight?  She's a medical professional giving you medical advice.  Her weight has nothing to do with her medical knowledge.  

It makes me question about her qualifications and recommendations when she doesn’t even follow them herself.

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
Just now, droughtquake said:

It makes me question about her qualifications and recommendations when she doesn’t even follow them herself.

How do you know she's not following them?  Maybe she has a thyroid condition or other disorder that makes it difficult to lose weight.  If you don't trust her recommendations, then find another doctor, but don't judge someone's professional qualifications based solely on their weight, especially if you don't know their circumstances.  

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
31 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

How do you know she's not following them?  Maybe she has a thyroid condition or other disorder that makes it difficult to lose weight.  If you don't trust her recommendations, then find another doctor, but don't judge someone's professional qualifications based solely on their weight, especially if you don't know their circumstances.  

There are other things she’s said and implied that make me uncertain of her qualifications. I don’t have a lot of options in my healthcare plan. It’s run by the county.

Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..