Jump to content
    Aditus
  • Author
  • 1,583 Words
  • 1,972 Views
  • 14 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Our Christmas Cookbook - 18. Moon Dumplings

Moon Dumplings

Carson leaned back in his chair and looked around the small bar. Since their early college days, it was tradition for him and his friends to meet here on Christmas Eve. In the past, they’d played Secret Santa, but thanks to Teresa and Sam, they had “abdicated blatant consumerism” last year.

Patrick and Jeff were slow dancing to Christmas music on a makeshift dance floor between the tables, oblivious to all around them.

“They’re cute, huh?” Liam asked perched on a barstool.

Probably to stay with tonight’s holiday theme, his best friend had dressed in a wine-colored shirt and dark green jeans, quite contrary to his usual black attire. Together with the longish dark hair and light scruff, it gave him this piratey look that lured men and women into his bed whenever he wanted, especially when he wore his signature smirk as he did right now.

“What do you expect, they’re new....” Carson shrugged and continued to listen to Chanchang tell him which Chinese delicacies she planned to cook for Christmas Day. In her typical way, she sliced the air with her hands while she explained how to fold her famous moon dumplings. It wouldn’t be long now before— Quickly, Tommy’s hand shot out seemingly from nowhere. He caught the beer glass before his wife could knock it off the table and splashing Carson with Corona.

“Neat.” Carson clapped his hands.

Tommy flashed him a grin. “When she talks cooking, I always keep an eye on my beloved’s flailing appendages.”

“Hey!” Changchang smacked him on the arm.

At that moment, Teresa and Sam, over at the bar, loudly announced their families finally had accepted they didn’t want any Christmas presents. Hearing that, Carson’s not exactly stellar mood dropped further.

Liam yawned and hopped down from the barstool. “I’m beat.” Being an EMT, he was almost always sleep-deprived. He’d probably slide in a few extra shifts so the colleagues who had families could have off on Christmas. Waving at the bartender, he came over to their table, a small paper bag in his hand.

He squeezed Carson’s shoulder briefly, kissed Chanchang on the cheek, waved at Tommy, and left the bar.

“He was in a weird mood tonight, don’t you think?” Changchang asked.

Carson grunted. His best friend was the only one of their group who hadn’t partnered up yet. The others had already arrived somewhere in their life by now, had someone to celebrate Christmas with for example beside their family... Maybe I should change something in mine...

“So, is your mom already cooking up a storm like every year, Car?” Changchang asked, interrupting his maudlin thoughts.

He hummed noncommittally, hoping it sounded like a yes. Suddenly all he wanted was to go home to his empty apartment with no Christmas decorations. He hadn’t told them his parents were on a cruise.

We always wanted to spend Christmas at a warm place. You don’t mind sweetie, right? His mother had asked him.

Of course not. Have fun, Mom.

Back home, he hung his jacket on the coat rack, slipped out of his boots, and walked through the dark apartment. He hadn’t bothered with a tree this year. The only thing that spoke of Christmas was the small pile of colorful presents on the coffee table. He grabbed a beer from the fridge and the remote and threw himself on the couch. There was a documentary about chameleons in Madargascar he’d been meaning to watch forever.

Carson woke at his usual time. When he looked at his phone and realized what day it was, he turned around, snatched a second pillow, and stuffed it under his head. No mad dash into the shower today. No last-minute gift wrapping, swallowing too-hot coffee, and hoping the streets were clear so he was on time at his parent’s Christmas brunch without risking de-balling. He had all the time in the world. Sleeping in on Christmas morning was a first for him.

Two hours later, he shuffled into the kitchen and switched on the coffee machine before he collected his presents from the living room. He put his meager load on top of the breakfast bar, fetched the box with cookies, and made himself his favorite coffee concoction: frothed milk, two shots of espresso, layered with pumpkin spice syrup. Then he took a star-shaped cookie and dipped it into the milk foam, something he would never do at his mother’s table. After biting into the coffee-dripping cookie, he pulled over the gift he got from his colleague Andrea. He grinned when he saw the mug with the green Star Trek logo decorated like a Christmas tree with a star on top. Drea had probably seen his nerdy nativity mug collection on the shelf over the coffee machine.

That was exactly why Carson loved presents. Andrea had invested time and thought because she cared and knew him well. She would never grab some pricey shit, only to be done with it. In the past he’d started to look for presents for his friends and family early in the year. Whenever something caught his eye, he’d bought it. This year he’d hunted down his father’s favorite cigars. The company that made them had gone out of business, but he found a dealer who still had two. This way he had a gift small enough to take on a cruise, and his dad could enjoy his traditional Christmas cigar on board. He was a little sad he wouldn’t see his face when he unwrapped them.

That was the second important part of exchanging presents. Carson loved to make people happy. It might be a little self-serving, but sometimes he thought he felt almost the same joy as the person he gave the present to.

For his mother, he had found an old book about making bobbin lace and even a small box with antique bobbins. His mother was a teacher who had specialized in antique needlework techniques and had always talked about learning it since she visited Burano. He just knew she’d love it.

He was washing his new mug for his second coffee when someone knocked on the door.

On his welcome mat stood Liam still in his EMT uniform with a hesitating smile. “Greetings from Changchang and a very Merry Christmas.” He held out a huge plastic bag that emitted the most delicious smells.

“Um....”

“She met your mom a few weeks ago, at the grocery shop.”

“And of course Mom couldn’t help telling her about the cruise.”

“Exactly. She packed enough for you and me.”

Later Carson and Liam sat at the dining room table and stuffed themselves with uber delicious Chinese food. After some time, Liam pushed a paper bag to Carson. “I got you something.”

When Carson didn’t immediately take the bag, he lifted his hands and said, “I know, I know. We agreed not to exchange gifts. I just found this and couldn’t resist.”

Smiling, Carson got up, pulled a drawer open, and fished a red box out. “I got you something too.”

 

Ingredients

(1 pound ground pork, preferably 15-20% fat ) or (2 cups shiitake mushrooms, chopped 1 1/2 cups cabbage, finely shredded, mixed with1 1/2 cups finely cut carrots and 1 cup chopped garlic chives)

1 tablespoon soy sauce

⅛ teaspoon white pepper

1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger

1 tablespoon Shaoxing wine or dry sherry

¼ cup minced Chinese chives or scallions

1 ½ teaspoons sesame oil

1 package frozen round wonton wrappers, defrosted (about 30-40)

2 tablespoons vegetable oil, or to taste

Soy sauce-vinegar dipping sauce

  1. In a large bowl, combine the pork /vegetables, soy sauce, pepper, ginger, and Shaoxing wine and knead until the filling is sticky and paste-like, about 2 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the chives with the sesame oil. Cover and set both mixtures aside for 30 minutes to 1 hour at room temperature, or refrigerate overnight.
  2. When ready to wrap, add the chive mixture to the pork mixture or vegetable mixture and stir until just combined. Prepare a small bowl of water next to your work surface for dipping your finger while assembling the dumplings. Place a scant tablespoon of the pork filling in the center of the wrapper. Dip your finger in the water and lightly paint the top half of the edge of the dumpling wrapper. Fold the wrapper in half, bringing the bottom edge up to meet the top and pinching the center closed. Pinch the edges together, using the ball of your thumb to press out any air, then pleat the seal. Lay the dumplings on a plate or baking sheet and cover with a slightly damp clean kitchen towel while forming the rest.
  3. Generously coat a large lidded skillet, preferably cast iron, with the vegetable oil and heat over medium-high heat. Add the dumplings pleat side up in a single layer and pan fry. Once the dumplings begin to sizzle, after about 1 minute, add a ¼ cup water to the skillet and cover. Steam the dumplings until the filling is firm and the wrapper is fully cooked about 3 minutes. If the pan dries out before the dumplings are fully cooked, add water and continue to steam. When the dumplings are cooked, remove the lid and continue to cook until all the water has evaporated and the dumplings are golden brown and crisp on the bottom. Remove from heat and use a spatula to transfer to plates. Serve hot with a dipping sauce.
Thank you for reading. There are so many dumpling recipes. Care to share your favorite? Or a dumpling story?
Copyright © 2019 Valkyrie, aditus, Cole Matthews; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 9
  • Love 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

When I worked retail, we often had potluck holiday celebration meals, especially when I worked with middle-aged or older women. Everyone used to be impressed by my Impossible Pie, a coconut custard pie (you greased and floured a pie plate and poured in all the ingredients which had been processed in a blender*) – they couldn’t believe that a teenaged guy could bake a pie! I decided to up my game at a later store where most of the staff were teenagers or in their early twenties. I made Won Tons. My mother made the filling for me, but I filled and formed them. My mother had learned the recipe* from a woman who made them look fancier than just your standard triangle, she was inspired by tortellinis and they looked like little boats! What I forgot was that young kids don’t understand how much work is involved and they just inhaled the Won Tons like they were McDonald's french fries!

* I lost the recipes years ago, so please dont ask.

Link to comment

Real friends won’t let you isolate yourself in depression on a special day. Real friends know all your tricks even when you try to fool them. Changchang and Liam are true friends.
;–)

Link to comment

This is a very good story. I have a similar recipe, called Hujiao Bing, or Pepper Balls. Unlike the dumplings, which are usually fried or steamed, Hujiao Bing are baked, usually by sticking them to the sides of a special kiln. More conventionally, a cookie sheet in an oven will suffice. Because of the heavy amount of black and white pepper, they're the perfect food to warm up when it's chilly outside.

  • Love 5
Link to comment
9 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

I lost the recipes years ago, so please dont ask.

I wouldn't have asked. again. ;)

  • Haha 5
Link to comment
9 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

Real friends won’t let you isolate yourself in depression on a special day. Real friends know all your tricks even when you try to fool them. Changchang and Liam are true friends.
;–)

Yes they are! :heart:

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
18 minutes ago, Page Scrawler said:

This is a very good story. I have a similar recipe, called Hujiao Bing, or Pepper Balls. Unlike the dumplings, which are usually fried or steamed, Hujiao Bing are baked, usually by sticking them to the sides of a special kiln. More conventionally, a cookie sheet in an oven will suffice. Because of the heavy amount of black and white pepper, they're the perfect food to warm up when it's chilly outside.

Thank you!  I will definitely look  up the recipe. 

Edited by aditus
  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, empresslovesreading said:

I have a Chinese sister-in-law. I leave the dumpling making to her and her father. I just sit there and shove them in my mouth.

Good strategy. :)

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
Link to comment

Years ago I had a boss who's husband was Vietmanese. She made the most wonderful crispy springrolls. She shared her recipe and one year for New Years my wife, my sister and I teamed up to make them. It was alot of  work and we had about 3 dozen of them. They were delicious. My wife and I have been separated nearly 20 years and my sister died 16 years ago ... still it's a happy memory. Your story brought it back, for that, I thank you.

  • Love 4
Link to comment
7 hours ago, dughlas said:

It was alot of work and we had about 3 dozen of them.

Spring Rolls, Won Tons, Lumpia, and Tamales are all very labor-intensive, but very tasty treats.

Link to comment
On 12/18/2019 at 3:42 PM, dughlas said:

Years ago I had a boss who's husband was Vietmanese. She made the most wonderful crispy springrolls. She shared her recipe and one year for New Years my wife, my sister and I teamed up to make them. It was alot of  work and we had about 3 dozen of them. They were delicious. My wife and I have been separated nearly 20 years and my sister died 16 years ago ... still it's a happy memory. Your story brought it back, for that, I thank you.

And again, why I let the sister in law do the work!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment

Yes, true friends know the score, no matter how much you try to disguise your feelings. 

I agree on how to choose gifts. I'd rather get nothing than some ill-thoughtout thing. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..