Jump to content
    Valkyrie
    • Signature Author
  • 2,004 Words
  • 1,759 Views
  • 21 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Our Christmas Cookbook - 22. A Very Wyvern Christmas

This story features characters from my story Igneous. While not necessary to read it beforehand, I'll plug the story anyway since you'll be seeing more of these guys in the future.

A Very Wyvern Christmas

By Valkyrie

Gilbert picked up the sweater he’d been instructed to wear to the party, then threw it on his bed in disgust. Jenna was nuts if she expected him to actually wear it. It was bad enough he was being subjected to—he shuddered—a Christmas party. But an ugly sweater Christmas party? The horror!

Gilbert loved his friends… most of the time… but Eric was insufferable ever since he met Alejandro. He rolled his eyes. It was impossible to think of the man’s name without the inflection Eric used every time he spoke it. Alejandro… drawing it out and enunciating each syllable with reverence—as though the man was a living deity. Well, according to Eric, he is. At least in bed, thought Gilbert. I seriously don’t need to know that.

Jenna was dating someone now too. Brent. At least Brent was normal. Well, Gilbert thought he was hot, but the man wasn’t arrogant or a jerk or anything. He was nice and treated Jenna well, which made him happy for his friend. And she wasn’t obnoxious when talking about her boyfriend, like Eric was when he talked about Alejandro.

His two best friends had been bad enough while they were single… now that they were dating, they were almost relentless with trying to get him a boyfriend.

Scratch that.

They were relentless with their questions about Hagan.

Hagan… Gilbert smiled and sighed. His eyes widened, and he mentally facepalmed. Son of a bitch… I sound like Eric!

The enigmatic Hagan hadn’t returned since his less-than-sincere attempt at thanking Gilbert for saving his life. Even though Gil had only met him twice, under less than ideal circumstances, and Hagan’s manners left a lot to be desired, he still found the gorgeous man occupied much of his thoughts.

Too much, Gilbert thought. What the hell do I see in him? Yeah, he’s hot, but he’s also a dick. Are my standards really that low? He sighed. Nah. Besides, how many people can say they’ve met a wyvern? That had to play into his attraction to the brusque man. Right?

We’re always watching.

Hagan’s last words to Gil replayed in his mind over and over. He thought it was the implacable dragon’s way of telling him he’d be around. Gil assumed he’d see more of him. He was wrong.

Gil had hoped he’d see Hagan again. He wanted to see more of Hagan. As in all of him. And do things with him. Although maybe losing his virginity to a dragon wasn’t the wisest idea. Fuck.

We’re always watching.

What did that mean? Was Hagan literally watching him? If so, then why didn’t he let him know? Stalker… He glanced at his living room window. If he could see out, others could see in. Maybe he should close the curtains.

It had been two and a half months since Gilbert was attacked by a demon in a dark alley and rescued by Hagan. Hagan was seriously injured by the zug’amath, and Gilbert saved his life.

Yeah… by almost killing him. How was he to know wyverns needed fire to heal? Hagan showed up at his apartment a month later to ‘thank’ him. His thank you left a lot to be desired. But damn if Gilbert didn’t desire Hagan.

Of course, his friends had to be there when Hagan showed up. So on an almost daily basis, they grilled him about the hot stranger. They didn’t believe him when he said there was nothing to tell.

Gilbert jumped when his phone buzzed with a text, jolting him out of his thoughts.

You better be on your way. With your red hottie lol

Gil rolled his eyes and tapped the screen to respond to Jenna.

Leaving now. You owe me for making me wear this stupid thing.

He looked at the sweater warily. Jenna left him no choice, so he put on the bright red, knit garment festooned with a giant felt Christmas tree surrounded by angels and cats. The tree sported ornaments that were actual bells. That jingled when he moved. If the rest of her guests didn’t have equally as humiliating sweaters on, he was never talking to her again.

Gil picked up the spinach artichoke dip he promised to bring, then grabbed his coat and keys and headed to the door. He opened it and ran right into a wall of man, barely avoiding dropping the dip. He yelped and jumped back, heart pounding.

“What are you doing here?” he blurted out.

Hagan scowled. “I can leave.”

“No! Wait! Uh… I mean… come in.” Gilbert stepped aside to let Hagan in.

The wyvern stepped inside and stood, arms crossed. He looked Gilbert up and down, then smirked. “Nice sweater.”

Gilbert reached down and grabbed the bottom edge of the offensive garment and took it off in a series of fumbling motions, bells jingling as he flung it onto the couch. “It was for a party. I didn’t want to wear it,” he mumbled.

“Then why did you?”

“Because it’s an ugly sweater party.”

Hagan raised an eyebrow.

“Everyone who goes is supposed to wear one of those ugly Christmas sweaters with the horrible decorations. Believe me, I wouldn’t wear that thing otherwise.” Oh my God. Why the hell did he choose now to visit! Gilbert reminded himself to breathe. A shiver traveled down his body, leaving him feeling like a giant, raw, exposed nerve. Hagan’s lips looked so red… Gilbert wondered if they felt as soft as they looked.

“I don’t understand this. Why have a party to wear things you don’t like?”

“Uh… well… not sure I can explain it in a way that makes sense.” Gilbert gestured toward the couch. “Have a seat. Can I get you anything?”

“Anything?”

“Well… um… something to eat or drink… or….” Gilbert trailed off. He blushed, feeling like he was about to self-combust. Or… me. It was taking all his self-control not to openly ogle the man he couldn’t stop thinking about.

“Your face is doing that thing again. Does that mean you’re still sexually attracted to me?”

“Oh my God.” Gilbert groaned.

Hagan smirked. “So that’s a ‘yes’.” He sat on the couch. “Why?”

Gilbert thought he might need to call 911. This pain in his chest had to be a heart attack. “Uh… well… um… are you kidding me?” he sputtered.

“OK. I can understand why you’re sexually attracted to me. What I don’t understand is why I can’t stop thinking about you.” Hagan’s features briefly softened as he looked at Gilbert.

“Why are you here?” Gilbert asked again. He can’t stop thinking about me, and I ask him this! Good one, Gilly. Drive away the man… uh… dragon of your dreams.

Hagan held out a wrinkled, shiny, green gift bag. “To give you this.”

Gilbert blinked and stared at it blankly.

“Well do you want it or not?” Hagan sounded annoyed.

Gil reached out and took the present from the strange man. “You got me a gift?”

“It’s customary for humans to exchange objects in mid-December.” Hagan bounced his leg and wiped his hands on his jeans.

“But you’re not human.”

Hagan nodded. “And you are.”

“Why did you get me a present?”

“Did I not already answer you?”

Gilbert narrowed his eyes. “I don’t understand. You show up here a month and a half ago with a half-assed ‘apology’, and I haven’t seen you since. Now you drop by unannounced and act like a major asshole and give me a present? What the hell?”

I’m an asshole? You almost kill me, and I’m the asshole?” He stood and snatched the bag away from Gilbert. “On Christmas, humans give presents to those they care about. I won’t make that mistake again.” He moved toward the door, but stopped when he felt Gilbert place his hand on his arm.

“Wait!”

Hagan scowled at Gilbert. “You’ve made yourself perfectly clear.”

“And you’re as clear as mud!” Gilbert sighed. “Sit down.”

Hagan looked at the door, then at Gilbert, then the couch. He sat down slowly.

“I guess I’m just confused. I don’t mean to be ungrateful. It was very nice of you to bring me a gift.” Gilbert held his hand out.

Hagan hesitated briefly, frowned, and then handed him the gift bag.

“So humans give gifts to those they care about, huh. Does that mean you care about me?” Gilbert asked, smirking.

“Just open it.”

Gilbert tried to suppress his smile. He dug through silver-sparkled tissue paper and removed an object wrapped in white paper. He tore through the paper easily, revealing a carved wooden replica of a wyvern. He swallowed the lump that formed in his throat as he caressed the smooth tan surface. He wondered if Hagan’s skin felt just as smooth.

“Do you like it? It’s more realistic than that joke of an eldur’aife you have.”

Gil glanced at the shelf where his Smaug figurine rested. He snorted. “Well I highly doubt whoever made it has ever seen a real dragon.”

“Obviously. Or else they would have put horns on it.” Hagan scowled. “Well? How do you like the wyvern?”

Gilbert looked at Hagan, smiling. He was surprised to find the other man fidgeting in his seat, biting his lip, and tapping his leg with his fingers. It was the first time he’d seen the brash gargoyle show any sign of insecurity.

“I love it. Thank you. The workmanship is amazing.”

Hagan sat straighter and puffed out his chest. “I carved it myself.”

Gilbert almost dropped the precious figurine. “You what?”

Hagan smiled, the first time Gil had seen one from him. “I haven’t carved anything in centuries. It felt good.”

Gilbert’s eyes widened. Centuries? “Wow. And you made this for me? I’m… just… holy crap.”

“I’m glad you like it. Merry Christmas.” Hagan rose and headed toward the door.

“Wait! You can’t leave!”

Hagan stopped.

Gilbert was flummoxed. “I mean, what the hell? I don’t get you. You disappear for a month and a half. You’re rude to me, tell me you hate humans, and thank me because someone forced you to. And now you bring me this awesome Christmas present! What the fuck?”

Hagan stepped closer to Gilbert until they were inches apart. Gil’s heart beat wildly, and his face flushed crimson with anger and… desire. “I don’t hate all humans. And I didn’t disappear.”

Gilbert swallowed. He pressed his hands against his thighs in an effort to stop trembling. “I haven’t seen you since—”

“I told you I’d be watching. Why do your friends have mates and you don’t?”

Gilbert opened his mouth. What the hell could he say to that?

Hagan ran his hand along Gil’s cheek, causing him to lean into the touch. “Is it because you’re sexually attracted to me?”

“No! Yes! No! What?!”

Hagan leaned down and pressed his lips against the sputtering human’s. Gilbert wrapped his arms around the dragon’s neck and returned the kiss.

“I brought you a present because I care about you.”

Gil nodded. “Yeah. I got that.”

“I’ll come back after your ugly party.” He made no effort to move.

“How about I don’t go? I hope you like spinach artichoke dip.”

“You hope I like what?”

“Never mind.” Gilbert led Hagan to the couch.

 

Spinach Artichoke Dip

1 package thawed frozen chopped spinach

14 ounces artichoke hearts (I use canned and marinated)

1 8 oz block of cream cheese, softened

2/3 cup sour cream

1/3 cup mayonnaise

1/3 cup grated parmesan

2 cups shredded mozzarella

3 cloves garlic, minced

Salt and pepper

 

1. Place softened cream cheese, sour cream, mayo, garlic and seasonings into a blender or food processor and combine.

2. Add in drained artichoke hearts and pulse until blended. It should be a little chunky.

3. Stir in spinach, parmesan, and mozzarella.

4. Bake at 375 degrees for 25-20 minutes, until brown and bubbly.

5. Serve with crackers or baguette slices and enjoy!

 

 

 

Would you like to read more about Hagan and Gilbert?  Check out Igneous and also keep an eye out for future stories. They may just show their faces again ;) This is my last story for the Cookbook.  I'm beyond thrilled with the comments, discussion, and sharing of memories and recipes.  This is exactly what we had in mind with this project.  It was wonderful working with Cole and Aditus again.  Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, and Happy Holidays no matter what you celebrate!
Copyright © 2019 Valkyrie, aditus, Cole Matthews; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 9
  • Love 8
  • Haha 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

As I said before: In my mind, Hagan thinks about peeling ugly sweaters off favorite
humans...

I'm beyond thrilled  to meet them again.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
1 minute ago, aditus said:

As I said before: In my mind, Hagan thinks about peeling ugly sweaters off favorite
humans...

I'm beyond thrilled  to meet them again.

:gikkle:  I have no doubt that's exactly what Hagan's thinking ;)  You'll get to see them again soon.  :)

  • Love 4
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
2 minutes ago, Parker Owens said:

I very much enjoyed this! Please can we see some more of these two? Please?

:yes: My next project is a multi-chapter story set in the gargoyles' world.  I'm glad you liked it.  :hug: 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I really enjoyed this, I'm going to have to read more about them now. A great Christmas story, love the idea of the ugly jumper and the recipe sounds really nice.

Have a great Christmas and a prosperous New Year and a fantastic 2020.

  • Love 3
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
37 minutes ago, chris191070 said:

I really enjoyed this, I'm going to have to read more about them now. A great Christmas story, love the idea of the ugly jumper and the recipe sounds really nice.

Have a great Christmas and a prosperous New Year and a fantastic 2020.

Thank you!  And thanks for reading and commenting along the way :hug: Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you also :hug: 

  • Love 3
Link to comment

Loved this story, loved the banter between them :funny:

You have a story with them??!! 🤗 Must check it out

Thank you for your last story in this Christmas Cookbook ❤️I have really enjoyed reading it :) 

Edited by Slytherin
  • Love 5
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
4 minutes ago, Slytherin said:

Loved this story, loved the banter between them :funny:

You have a story with them??!! 🤗 Must check it out

Thank you for your last story in this Christmas Cookbook ❤️I have really enjoyed reading it :) 

Thank you for reading and commenting :hug: I hope you like "Igneous"  :)  

  • Love 3
Link to comment
3 hours ago, chris191070 said:

I really enjoyed this, I'm going to have to read more about them now. A great Christmas story, love the idea of the ugly jumper and the recipe sounds really nice.

Have a great Christmas and a prosperous New Year and a fantastic 2020.

Wait! There was a recipe? Uhm, sorry got distracted by the thought of kissing a hot wyvern.

  • Haha 3
Link to comment

It was an excellent choice to do a Christmas vignette starring these two. They're an intriguing duo. Anxious to see more you have in store for them

Merry Christmas WQ.

  • Love 3
Link to comment

I didn’t remember the title, Igneous, but I certainly remembered Hagan! He’s such an unusual character. Prickly, rude, and impenetrable, but appealing all at the same time. Very much how a real interaction would be like between two different species!
;–)

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
41 minutes ago, dughlas said:

Wait! There was a recipe? Uhm, sorry got distracted by the thought of kissing a hot wyvern.

What recipe?  :unsure: :P 

39 minutes ago, dughlas said:

It was an excellent choice to do a Christmas vignette starring these two. They're an intriguing duo. Anxious to see more you have in store for them

Merry Christmas WQ.

Thank you.  There will be a lot more next year with the gargoyles :) Merry Christmas to you too :hug: :kiss: 

  • Love 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
37 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

I didn’t remember the title, Igneous, but I certainly remembered Hagan! He’s such an unusual character. Prickly, rude, and impenetrable, but appealing all at the same time. Very much how a real interaction would be like between two different species!
;–)

I'm glad Hagan was memorable.   I had a lot of fun writing this :) 

34 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

Jenna and Eric will be furious that Gilbert didn’t drag Hagan to their stupid ugly sweater party!
;–)

Oh hell yeah!  And you know they'll find out too.  :P 

  • Haha 3
Link to comment

Okay, so I had to read "Igneous" before this and was enthralled. Curse you Val, I'm supposed to be focused while making my hot cocoa mix for coworkers. 😂 Upon reading this I have decided that Hagan sounds like the perfect future ex-husband since it would definitely be a battle of wills between us. Excellent work Val and a nice way to cap off your contributions to this collaboration.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
1 minute ago, LilDaddy98 said:

 Upon reading this I have decided that Hagan sounds like the perfect future ex-husband since it would definitely be a battle of wills between us.

:rofl:  

1 minute ago, LilDaddy98 said:

Okay, so I had to read "Igneous" before this and was enthralled. Curse you Val, I'm supposed to be focused while making my hot cocoa mix for coworkers. 😂 Upon reading this I have decided that Hagan sounds like the perfect future ex-husband since it would definitely be a battle of wills between us. Excellent work Val and a nice way to cap off your contributions to this collaboration.

I'm so glad you liked these stories.  Thank you for joining us in this journey and for all your comments along the way :hug:   Your hot cocoa mix sounds intriguing.  Sounds like a great co-worker gift.  :) 

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
18 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

:rofl:  

I'm so glad you liked these stories.  Thank you for joining us in this journey and for all your comments along the way :hug:   Your hot cocoa mix sounds intriguing.  Sounds like a great co-worker gift.  :) 

If I remember I'll take some pics and the recipe and share it. First time I've made this particular recipe though, so it's experimental at this time (co-workers are the guinea pigs ) And thank you, Cole, and Aditus for taking me on this journey. It has truly been a pleasure learning bits about y'all. :hug:

  • Love 3
Link to comment

I like it, I like it so much that I stopped reading and went to read Igneous first before I finished this one. I am so looking forward to seeing Gilbert and Hagan again. 

  • Love 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
1 hour ago, nix said:

I like it, I like it so much that I stopped reading and went to read Igneous first before I finished this one. I am so looking forward to seeing Gilbert and Hagan again. 

Awesome :D  I'm glad you liked it so much :)

  • Love 3
Link to comment

I so want more of Hagan and Gil! For someone who's been around for centuries, Hagan sure has kept a distance to humans. Gil will be both entertained and frustrated teaching him. But oh what fun...!

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
2 hours ago, Puppilull said:

I so want more of Hagan and Gil! For someone who's been around for centuries, Hagan sure has kept a distance to humans. Gil will be both entertained and frustrated teaching him. But oh what fun...!

Well he's been keeping his distance for a while, but we don't know his backstory yet, so it might not have always been the case ;) And yeah... I think Gil's in for a world of entertainment and frustration  :gikkle: 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..