Jump to content
    Valkyrie
    • Signature Author
  • 2,260 Words
  • 1,791 Views
  • 38 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Our Christmas Cookbook - 19. Tomtar

Tomtar

By Valkyrie

 

I yawned and stretched, narrowly avoiding hitting the gray tabby sleeping by my head. I glanced at the clock on the DVR. Two-fucking-thirty-three a.m. Stupid bladder. The cat gave me a dirty look as I rolled on my side, then sat up and headed to the bathroom. Well excuse me for disturbing his royal highness’ sleep.

After washing my hands when I was done peeing, I headed back to bed. Smokey huffed and chirped, then moved to lay with his back to me. Snubbed. I had no sympathy for my furry friend, since his middle of the night crazies kept me up pretty frequently. My phone lit up and dinged, letting me know I had a notification. I rolled my eyes. God forbid I went five minutes without being notified of… something.

So and so liked your post.

So and so posted a link.

So and so commented on a post you commented on five years ago.

Who fucking cares?

Stacy messaged you.

Wait… Stacy messaged me? Why the hell would Stacy message me? We were hobby friends, but I hadn’t seen her in years, and we rarely chatted. I swiped the screen and tapped on the messenger icon.

Check this out! It’s right near you. Thought you’d be interested in them.

My eyes widened and my heart started pounding. My hands shook as I tapped to enlarge the picture accompanying the text. It was a screenshot of a Facebook Marketplace ad for a table full of Swedish Christmas gnomes, local pick up only.

For fifty dollars.

For ALL of them.

Each individual gnome was worth about a hundred.

“Oh my God!” I shouted and sat up, sending Smokey skittering off the bed.

I looked at the shelf next to my window and grinned. My tableau of Christmas gnomes was about to get much bigger. Hell, I’d need another shelf to fit all the new ones! My mind spun with possibilities. I could put the gray gnome with the wreath next to the red one holding a cat. And was that a blue gnome holding a teddy bear? That was the rarest gnome of all! The holy grail of Swedish Christmas gnome collectors!

I was practically hyperventilating.

Should I contact the seller now or wait ‘til the morning? My decision was almost instantaneous. I’d message the seller now, even though it was the middle of the night, in case someone else had the same idea. That way, hopefully my timestamp would be earlier.

I’d love to purchase your gnomes, if they’re still available. I can pick up at your convenience.

I really hoped no one else had contacted the guy. I mentally facepalmed. Why did I have to go to bed early and miss Stacy’s message? I lay in bed and stared at the ceiling. There was no way I’d be getting back to sleep any time soon.

When I was five years old, my grandma gave me a little china gnome with a long, white beard and bright red conical hat covering his eyes. His bulbous nose stuck out above his full mustache, and he was holding up a bright, green Christmas ornament. Five-year-old me thought it was ugly, but my Swedish mormor was so happy for me to have it. It had been hers when she was a child. Every year after that, another ugly gnome was added to the collection, given to me by mormor. I had accumulated twenty of them before she passed away.

Now I treasured them, and added more each year, continuing the tradition in her honor. I’d even found a small online community of collectors, and we regularly traded pictures of our collections and latest acquisitions. We also sent each other links to auctions or sales posts we thought someone else might be interested in, especially if it was a gnome we already had.

I was beyond thrilled Stacy had thought of me and sent the link. I clicked on the TV and opened Candy Crush on my tablet. Since I was too worked up to sleep, I figured I might as well entertain myself. Around 4:30 am, my phone pinged with another notification. I grabbed it, wondering what it was so early. It was the seller replying to my message. My tablet fell to the side, and I tapped open the message immediately.

Pending pickup

Crap!

Crap fuck shit!

FUCK FUCK CRAPPITY FUCK!

Thank you. Please let me know if the sale falls through for any reason. I hit ‘send’ and flopped back on the bed.

My day was ruined before it even started.

***

“Well, someone’s in a mood today,” Janet stated as she handed me a piece of paper.

I frowned. “Great. What does her royal highness want now?” Our boss was the very definition of micromanager, and we were beyond sick of it. The combination of work stress, plus missing out on the gnomes, had me in a foul mood.

Janet snickered. “All’s quiet on that front, for the moment, thank goodness. It’s the sign up for the holiday potluck.”

“Oh! Now that, I’m interested in!” I grinned as I looked at the list. I loved cooking. And it was a great excuse to take a break from work and look up recipes.

“So what will you bring this year? Everyone’s still talking about those Swedish meatballs you brought last year. Hint, hint.” She winked.

I laughed. “That was my mormor’s recipe. But you know I don’t like to bring the same thing twice. I’ll see what strikes my fancy this year.”

She pouted. “You could make an exception in this case. Those meatballs were so good!”

I made a ‘shooing’ motion with my hands. “My muse needs quiet to think.”

Janet bowed in mock reverence. “I won’t disturb your creative process.” She turned and walked out of my office, giggling.

I didn’t need to do a Google search to know what I’d be bringing. I’d already decided weeks ago. But I would troll the internet for new recipes to try over the weekend. Work could wait. Gotta have priorities, ya know.

 

I drummed my fingers on my desk and looked at the clock. I huffed out my breath. My work was done, but I had about a half hour before my day ‘officially’ ended. Even though I was a salaried employee, with the ability to make my own schedule, my bosses kept an eye on the hours I worked, and I got my hand slapped if I left early, even though my work was all done. Yeah, doesn’t make sense to me either.

My phone pinged, indicating a message. My heart about leapt out of my chest when I saw it was from the guy selling the Christmas gnomes.

Sale fell through. The buyer never showed up. A few people messaged me, so I sent out multiple messages. I’m not holding them for anyone. First one here can get them. Message me for my address if you’re still interested. I’m near the mall.

Oh. My. God. The mall was about five minutes down the road!

What’s your address? I can be there in ten minutes.

My hands shook as I shut down my computer, then grabbed my coat and put it on. I snatched my work satchel from the hook and headed out the door. I popped my head into Janet’s office. “I’m heading out. See you tomorrow!”

I didn’t wait for a response.

My phone pinged. The guy had sent me his address.

On ym wya. I didn’t even bother correcting my typos.

Ok. I’ll keep an eye out for you, he almost instantly responded.

I jogged to my car and sped out of the parking lot. I had to be careful to avoid getting a speeding ticket. The five minute drive felt like it took forever. Of course, I had to hit all the lights red. I pulled up in front of a cute little cape. It had shaker shingles and beige siding. The snow and icicles hanging off the roof, made it look like it belonged on a Christmas card. I bet it looked even prettier when the Christmas lights were lit.

I got out of my car and headed up the well-shoveled driveway. A guy about my age opened the side door and smiled. “You must be Isak.”

Damn… Christmas gnomes for a bargain price and a hot guy. I must have won the Christmas lottery!

“Yeah, nice to meet you.” I reached into my back pocket for my wallet. “So fifty bucks, right?”

“Yup. These things used to belong to my grandma. She was from Sweden and just loved them. I inherited them, but they never really ‘spoke’ to me, ya know?”

I laughed. “So was my mormor. She gave me my first one when I was five. I hated it. And she gave me one every Christmas after that. It’s funny, but I never particularly liked them until after she passed. Then it just didn’t feel like Christmas unless I bought a Swedish gnome.” My heart thudded in my chest. I wasn’t sure if it was from the excitement of getting the gnomes, or the cutie selling them.

Probably both.

He looked at me for a minute, then opened his mouth to say something, but seemed to change his mind and closed it. He glanced inside, then back at me. It looked like he was contemplating something. “Come on in. It’s freezing out there, and you can inspect them, if you want.”

I smiled. “Sure.”

He held the door for me, and I stepped inside a spacious kitchen. There was a plastic bin on top of the kitchen table.

“I’m Elias, by the way.”

“Isak.”

Elias gestured toward the bin. “There they are.”

I grinned. My hands shook as I opened the lid. Nestled inside were my treasures, wrapped individually in newspaper.

“Are you still cold? I can make you a cup of cocoa, if you want.” He shifted his feet. “Don’t worry. I’m not a serial killer or anything. I promise not to poison it.” He laughed nervously.

I raised an eyebrow. “Uh… no thanks?”

Damn this guy was cute. I had a thing for blue-eyed blonds. Maybe because I’d always wished I’d inherited my mother’s looks instead of my father’s. I’d read news articles about wackos selling stuff, so figured it might not be a good idea to accept the cocoa. Even though I wanted to. Not that I thought this guy was a wacko. Well, probably not, anyway.

I closed the lid. “I don’t need to inspect them. The pics were fine.” I opened my wallet and fished out the fifty dollars. “Here you go.”

He took the money. His face was bright red, contrasting with his light hair, and made his sky blue eyes stand out even more. “Sorry. I was kidding around. Not everyone gets my sense of humor.”

I smiled. “It was funny.”

He exhaled, and his face lightened a few shades. “Uh… maybe we could meet somewhere else for a cup of cocoa sometime. Or coffee. Or tea. Or whatever you drink. Sorry… I babble when I’m nervous. We can exchange stories about our Swedish grandmas.”

I nodded. “Yeah, I think I’d like that.”

He grinned. “Awesome. How about tomorrow?”

“Sure. Have you ever been to Coffee Spots? They have great drinks there and good soup and sandwiches too.”

“Sounds perfect. I know right where that is.”

“Great. See you 7:00 tomorrow?”

He nodded. “It’s a date.” His eyes widened, and he looked at me nervously.

I winked. “Definitely a date.”

He grinned as I grabbed the bin.

*****

“Kielbasa and pierogi? What happened to the Swedish meatballs?” Janet asked, pouting.

“I’m half Polish. This recipe is really good. I always get rave reviews,” I replied, smiling.

“I’m sure it’s amazing, since you made it.”

I set the crock pot down on the table and plugged it in.

“Well you’ve sure been a good mood lately. Did you get bit by the Christmas spirit or something?”

I grinned. “Or something.”

“Ooooo… sounds like there’s a story there. What’s his name?” She winked.

“Elias,” I said, then walked away.

“Oh you cannot just walk away from me after that!” She jogged after me. “So… details?”

“Well, we’ve gone on a couple of dates so far, and I really like him. No details other than that. Right now, anyway.”

“You should bring him to the party on Saturday.”

I shook my head. “Nah. Too early for that. But hopefully I’ll bring him next year.”

 

Potluck Pierogi

 

· 3 packages mini pierogi

· 3 cups of chicken broth

· 1 block cream cheese, softened

· 2 pounds kielbasa

· Salt, pepper, garlic powder

· 1 small package shredded cheddar cheese

 

1. Slice kielbasa into rounds and brown in a sauté pan until carmelized.

2. Heat some of the chicken broth and add in the cream cheese until incorporated. You can skip this step if you’re in a hurry.

3. Place all ingredients in crockpot and stir until combined.

4. Cook on low for 4-5 hours.

5. Enjoy!

*note- the pierogi will absorb all the chicken broth and get a bit soft and mushy. You can brown the pierogi before putting them in the crockpot, which should make them a bit less mushy. The mushiness doesn’t detract from the dish though. It’s always a hit whenever I make this. You may have to add a little more chicken broth as it cooks, depending on how much the pierogi absorbs.

Collectors will understand Isak's excitement at finding such treasures for a great deal. What do you collect? Do you create a special display for Christmas using part of your collection?
Copyright © 2019 Valkyrie, aditus, Cole Matthews; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 9
  • Love 8
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



  • Site Administrator
59 minutes ago, empresslovesreading said:

My one and only gnome will have to be pried from my cold dead hands. He's a skelegnome😀

:gikkle: Awesome! 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
47 minutes ago, chris191070 said:

What a sweet tale, brought together by gnomes at Christmas. I love the recipe as well.

Thank you :) This recipe is so simple and very tasty.  :)  

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

I used to collect keychains. I used to buy a new christmas ornament every year. I buy a new Frameline San Francisco International LGBTQ+ Film Festival t-shirt every year – I collect Frameline Festival catalogs too. I’m trying to reduce my collection of junk and clutter, but it accumulates anyway.
;–)

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
1 minute ago, droughtquake said:

If Isak gets tired of Elias, could you introduce Elias to me?
;–) 

Somehow, I can't see Isak getting tired of Elias ;) 

  • Haha 1
  • Sad 3
Link to comment
Just now, Valkyrie said:

Somehow, I can't see Isak getting tired of Elias ;) 

Does Elias have an available Gay Uncle, Gay brother, or Gay cousin?
;–)

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
2 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

Does Elias have an available Gay Uncle, Gay brother, or Gay cousin?
;–)

No idea.  I'll have to ask him :P 

  • Haha 3
Link to comment

They should’ve gone out on a date to ”Little Blue Ones Bakery” Remember that place Comicfan made up in a story?  :gikkle: Loved this story, Penguin :glomp:

I have bought 3 new gnomes this year :funny: I love gnomes :heart:

  • Love 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
1 minute ago, Slytherin said:

They should’ve gone out on a date to ”Little Blue Ones Bakery” Remember that place Comicfan made up in a story?  :gikkle: Loved this story, Penguin :glomp:

I have bought 3 new gnomes this year :funny: I love gnomes :heart:

:gikkle:  Yes, I remember LBO's Bakery :) I'm glad you liked the story. I have the tomtar you gave me out with my decorations :) :hug:  

  • Love 3
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
4 hours ago, aditus said:

A beautiful tale, Val. Okay, confession time: I collect crystal stars. And cookbooks :gikkle:.

Thank you :) I collect model horses, Wade England whimsies, and cat hair.  Although the cat hair isn't so much a collection as a never-ending battle to keep the hardwood floors clean.  :unsure: :P  

  • Haha 3
Link to comment

I don’t really collect tomtar, I have a few from the same gnome maker 😇 not gnomes everywere here lol

I used to collect smurfs and frogs growing up...

 

Edited by Slytherin
  • Love 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
27 minutes ago, Slytherin said:

I don’t really collect tomtar, I have a few from the same gnome maker 😇 not gnomes everywere here lol

I used to collect smurfs and frogs growing up...

 

Smurfs!!  My brother and I had a small Smurf collection when we were kids :)  

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment

When I was a wee little kid I used to tell my mom about the dwarves under my bed. My mom believed me because I described their appearance clearly and because I was too young to know what dwarves were. Mom said they were my tiny guardians who protect me from harm.

I’m not sure if I was imagining things back then but I would like to think that I still have them as my guardians. Whenever I couldn’t find my keys or my pencil case I would just ask them for help and the item I misplaced would mysteriously appear somewhere near me.

  • Love 2
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
8 minutes ago, nix said:

When I was a wee little kid I used to tell my mom about the dwarves under my bed. My mom believed me because I described their appearance clearly and because I was too young to know what dwarves were. Mom said they were my tiny guardians who protect me from harm.

I’m not sure if I was imagining things back then but I would like to think that I still have them as my guardians. Whenever I couldn’t find my keys or my pencil case I would just ask them for help and the item I misplaced would mysteriously appear somewhere near me.

Wow... that's really cool :) 

  • Love 2
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
6 minutes ago, aditus said:

I totally forgot! I kinda collect cats. Five are a collection, right?

cat GIF

That's how it starts... :gikkle: 

  • Haha 3
Link to comment

Oh I didn’t realize we’re talking about collections on the comment section. Hmmm I collect sketchbooks. I buy lots of them but I don’t even draw on them, they just sit on my table as a display or something.

I’d love to start collecting unicorns or mermaids (I’m so gay I know) but I’m currently a broke ass art student and all my money goes to school stuff. Hopefully I can start soon.

  • Love 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
1 minute ago, nix said:

Oh I didn’t realize we’re talking about collections on the comment section. Hmmm I collect sketchbooks. I buy lots of them but I don’t even draw on them, they just sit on my table as a display or something.

I’d love to start collecting unicorns or mermaids (I’m so gay I know) but I’m currently a broke ass art student and all my money goes to school stuff. Hopefully I can start soon.

OMG I love sketchbooks!  I know it's strange, but there's something about the blank pages I find soothing.  And I just love good paper.  I have a box full of sketchbooks and art supplies currently collecting dust in my closet.  I used to draw, but once I started writing, all my creative energy goes there instead of into drawing.  

I have a bunch of unicorns as part of my horse collection.  No mermaids though :gikkle:  

  • Love 2
Link to comment
14 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

OMG I love sketchbooks!  I know it's strange, but there's something about the blank pages I find soothing.  And I just love good paper.  I have a box full of sketchbooks and art supplies currently collecting dust in my closet.  I used to draw, but once I started writing, all my creative energy goes there instead of into drawing.  

I have a bunch of unicorns as part of my horse collection.  No mermaids though :gikkle:  

I love good paper, too! As an illustrator I’m really picky with the paper I use and I make sure I have the right paper for every medium I use. I am a markers and polychromos kind of guy and I am always on the look out for special (expensive) papers for these type of materials.

I can relate with your supplies collecting dust because mine, too lol! Most of my classes use digital illustration and I rarely get to play with my favorite trad art mediums.

I’m so jealous of your unicorns! I have a unicorn print shirt and socks tho, and a keychain, too. 

Edited by nix
  • Love 1
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..