Jump to content
    W_L
  • Author
  • 1,027 Words
  • 537 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

WL's Prompts- Short Stories - 1. Prompt # 70 -Song in the Wind

Special Thanks to @Valkyrie for inspiring this short story
Prompt #70:
A gorgeous guy has been staring at you all evening, so you take it as an invitation to walk over and introduce yourself, hoping for a hot date. Instead, he tells you he’s blind and not looking anywhere, but you have a nice voice. What happens next?

I must be crazy to be running in this heat in the middle of July, but I have to keep up my cardio routine to maintain. I had thought running at night might help, but this crazy heatwave has made the night just as bad as the day. I know my need to run is psychological, growing up overweight and being the butt of many jokes left deep scars. In my heart, I just don’t want to be that guy and can’t let anyone see that insecure part of me. That’s why I lost most of my weight and got in shape a couple of years ago.

My reason for my constant running now though is the sad reality of people like me, who lost their excess weight. I fell off the wagon a few weeks ago during Independence Day weekend and indulged in way too much barbeque food. The sugar and the carbs are playing havoc on my metabolism. I have had urges for burgers, ribs, potatoes, and the source of all evil, Diet Coke. Why is Diet Coke so evil? Well, Diet Coke’s sugar alternative, aspartame, may be zero calories, but it increases your appetite and triggers dopamine receptors in your brain for pleasure. Basically, the more you drink of it, the more likely you’ll want to eat and blow up like a balloon. I was so hungry at one point that I finished off four of my weekly pre-made 500-calories proportioned meals in one sitting. Even though I’ve been weaning myself off carbs for a few weeks so I won’t crash during a workday, eating habits alone are not enough to maintain my current body.

My first lap around the park flew by quickly, despite it being around 30 minutes. I listened and sang a few power ballads like Queen’s “We Will Rock You” and “Another One Bites the Dust” with my earbuds to get myself pumped up for the run. I didn’t take in my surroundings until I was on my second lap with a mix of love songs from the 1990s like “Wonderwall” and “Truly Madly Deeply”. I noticed a small nerdy-looking guy, probably around his twenties, following me with his eyes. While it was evening, it wasn’t so late that people with pets or runners like me wouldn’t be out here. So, I didn’t think much of it until my third lap when boyband music from the electric “I Want It That Way” to the soulful “God Must Have Spent A Little More Time On You”, then I could tell he was smiling and following my runs. I thought he was watching me run because his head would follow and turn every time, I ran past him. With my fifth lap, I was going through pop songs like “What Makes You Beautiful” and K-Pop songs like “Butter”, but before BTS could sing another repetition of their lyric, “rock with me baby”, I stopped in front of this interesting guy. I had picked up random gay guys after I gained my new lean athletic body and knew the telltale signs of someone, who was interested. He was rather attractive as a nerdy type of guy, which I prefer over athletic guys like me. Athletic guys often have discussions about fitness and it makes me nervous. He was wearing a short sleeve button-down shirt with slacks and had a big Golden Labrador near him.

I walked up to him to make my introductions.

“Hi, my name is Mark,” his smile broadens, while his dog perked up and stared at me, perhaps assessing me, “Your dog is adorable and very well behaved, my cat at home would go stir crazy if he didn’t move for two hours.”

The man laughed, “Hello Mark, my name is Brad and I can’t take credit for Carl’s training, the people at the Seeing Eye Dog Center in New Jersey were the stars.”

I did a double take and realized that Brad was blind. I thought he was attracted to me, but how can he be without the ability to see me?

I tried to be polite and extract myself from an awkward reality, “Well, I guess I’ll head home and take care of my crazy cat.”

Brad chuckled, “Will you be rocking out, while you’re doing it? I love your choice of music and your voice was so melodic. You must be talented. I just couldn’t get enough of it.”

I froze as I never considered my singing voice to be anything that inspiring, I can barely hit a few high notes. However, it was nice getting complimented by Brad, who, I realized at that moment, had sat here for two hours just waiting and listening for my voice. What kind of guy does that? Is he interested in me? Is he attracted to my voice? Would I be taking advantage of him if I wanted to ask him out on a date?

I hesitated in speaking for a few minutes, hoping that my silence would deter a deeper conversation. Maybe, because he’s blind, he won’t know I didn’t leave and I can just stand here in place. It’s like Jurassic Park, if you don’t make any sudden motions the T-Rex won’t bite your head off.

Brad broke the silence, “I can still hear your breathing, Mark. If you want to leave, it’s fine. I am sorry if it’s weird that I like your taste in music and your singing voice.”

Shit, he was making me feel worse for not offering. So what the hell, what would be the worst thing that can happen? I wouldn’t do anything with him or to him if he wasn’t interested. That’s just how this stuff would work with any other guy right?

“Um…Brad…I’m gay and I was wondering if you are interested in going to my place for a coffee or something?”

I offered and as I expected, Brad responded with, “No, I am sorry Mark, I can’t…” I exhaled and was about to offer apologies until he continued, “…Carl needs a bath from being out all day. How would you like to come to my place for coffee?”

Copyright © 2022 W_L; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
  • Love 7
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

  1. Stories Discussion Forum

    This is the place to talk about stories from anyone but our Signature, Classic or Promising Authors. They have their own forum for that.
    No solicitation or commercial postings without prior approval.

    36.7k
    posts
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

W_L

Posted (edited)

19 hours ago, chris191070 said:

I really enjoyed this. 

I hope more #prompts inspire you and you continue this tale.

Thanks Chris, I know there are a few readers for a short story, it's not a bad showing.

I do enjoy writing and coming up with little things like this just to get my juices going for bigger projects.

Edited by W_L
  • Like 3
Link to comment

I like this short, the storyline flows naturally with Mark's thought's being very relatable and like all good stories it leaves you wanting more. I'd love to know how Brad and Mark get along with each other and if their chance meeting progresses to more. Thank you.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
9 hours ago, Mancunian said:

I like this short, the storyline flows naturally with Mark's thought's being very relatable and like all good stories it leaves you wanting more. I'd love to know how Brad and Mark get along with each other and if their chance meeting progresses to more. Thank you.

Thanks for reading, I am glad you enjoyed Mark's perspective on the story and the stream of consciousness narrative that flowed through.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

There is moooore?!?! ❤️ Love being able to understand how Brad and Mark ended up where they were in the other part. Will they continue to pop up with more prompts or will they grow into their story and become even more?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
16 minutes ago, Quilah said:

There is moooore?!?! ❤️ Love being able to understand how Brad and Mark ended up where they were in the other part. Will they continue to pop up with more prompts or will they grow into their story and become even more?

You never know, it really depends on how the characters play in my head.

  • Love 2
Link to comment

A great and thought-provoking use of the prompt. And the end is perfect.   I’m no writer of fiction but as a reader I really like your style a lot.  Keep working at it please!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
6 hours ago, Gary L said:

A great and thought-provoking use of the prompt. And the end is perfect.   I’m no writer of fiction but as a reader I really like your style a lot.  Keep working at it please!

Thanks Gary,

Writing short prompt stories is allowing me to play and explore different styles of storytelling. 

  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..