Jump to content
    wolfwriter
  • Author
  • 741 Words
  • 1,325 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Prompts 2016 - 2. Bad Day Prompt 297

Bad Day

It was Friday in the middle of July and in the midst of a heat wave. Jason had not had a good week. He got in the car and backed out of the garage, only to back into his garbage can that was sitting on the curb waiting for the garbage truck to come pick it up.

“Damn it, the day is just starting and already it sucks,” exclaimed Jason as he got out of his car to pick up the trash that had spilled.

As he was picking up the trash, he noticed that someone had put an old pipe and a dead snake in his garbage can.

“That’s just what I need, for snakes to come out of hiding.”

He got everything picked up, ran inside to quickly wash his hands before getting back in his car to go to work.

He got to work just a little bit late and was told by his secretary that the boss wanted to see him as soon as he came in. Jason headed to Mr. Jones’ office and just knew that he was going to get chewed out for being late.

He got to Mr. Jones’ office and his secretary buzzed to let Mr. Jones know that he was there.

After a few minutes her phone buzzed and she said, “Mr Jennings, you can go in now.”

Jason went to the door and turned the door knob to enter his boss’ office.

“Good morning, Mr. Jennings. I trust there is a good reason for your lateness?”

“Mr. Jones, I’m sorry, sir. As I was backing out of my garage I hit my garbage can and had to pick everything up. I know that I should have called to let the office know but I forgot to charge my cell phone last night and it died on me this morning.”

“Next time, take the time to call from your house phone and let us know that you will be running a little bit late.Thankfully the new owner who is coming in today won’t be here until this afternoon and I want you to be the one to show him around and make him feel welcome.”

“Yes sir, I will do my best,” replied Jason.

“Ok, get to work and I will have him come see you when he gets here,” commented Mr. Jones.

Jason got up and headed back to his own office to get some work done before the new owner got there.

The closer it got to quitting time the more anxious Jason got because the new boss hadn’t shown up yet.

His secretary had already left for the weekend and he got up to pack up there was a knock on his office door. He opened the door and there stood a man that was a vision of heaven on earth.

“I’m looking for Jason Jennings,” said the man.

“I’m Jason Jennings, are you Mr. Paul Johnson?”

“Yes, I am. I know I’m late but my flight was delayed and I just now got into town. Would you be willing to go have some cold drinks and you could tell me more about the company. Since we will be working closely together, I think that it’s important for us to be able to get along.”

“That would be a great way to start the weekend,” replied Jason.

“Let’s take my car and I will bring you back for yours later,” suggested Paul.

“Sounds good to me. Let me put my briefcase in the car and I will meet you out front.”

Jason and Paul walked out together. Jason walked to his car in the parking garage, dropped off his briefcase, and headed to the front of the building to the visitor parking area. When he got there he saw a red sports car with Paul Johnson sitting inside.

“Nice car, is it a Ferrari?” asked Jason.

“Yeah, I didn’t want a typical, boring rental car. I figure this is the only way I would have one, so why not.”

“There’s a bar and grill just down the road, they usually have good food, as well as cold drinks,” Jason suggested.

Jason and Paul went, had dinner, some drinks, and got to know one another. They both felt that they had known the other for longer than a few hours.

Jason definitely felt that his day ended on a better note than it had begun.

Copyright © 2017 wolfwriter; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..