Jump to content
    wolfwriter
  • Author
  • 583 Words
  • 843 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Prompts 2016 - 7. I'm Sorry- Prompt 323

I'm Sorry

“Can I talk to you?” asked Jerry.

“Sure, what’s on your mind buddy?” I reached over, placing my hand on his in a reassuring gesture.

“Well, you see, I need to tell you what’s been going through my mind before I leave for basic training.”

“What do you mean, Jerry?”

“Jim, there’s no easy way to say this but, I love you.”

I pulled my hand away from him and I could see the fear in his eyes. What does he mean he loves me? Of course he does we’ve been best friends since middle school. Why is he so scared?

“Of course you love me, I know that. I love you too, bud.”

“No you don’t understand. I’m in love with you and have been for the last few years. I know this may ruin our friendship but I had to tell you before I leave.” He stood up and turned to walk away when I grabbed his arm.

“Don’t walk away from me! Now sit down and talk to me.” I was irritated that he would drop that bombshell and try to just walk away as if he hadn’t just said that he was in love with me.

“What do you want me to say? I can’t help my feelings and I’m not gonna force anything on you. I know you’re straight but I couldn’t leave without telling you. I know that you probably hate me right now but I hope that someday we can be friends again.” I could tell that he was on the verge of tears and it made my heart ache for him but I just couldn’t feel the same way.

When he turned to leave I couldn’t stop him and for the next several days I avoided him like the plague. My thoughts were constantly going through our years of friendship. Was the last several years a lie? I felt like I didn’t even know him anymore. I knew that I needed to get my head around it before even trying to talk to him again.

All too soon it was time for him to head off to basic training and I knew that I needed to talk to him but just didn’t know how or what to say. I was still hurt that it took him this long to tell me that he was gay but to also tell me that he was in love with me, which was just something that I wasn’t prepared for. I decided to go to the bus station and see him off. I would just have to tell him that I still wanted to be his friend but that I’m straight and that is all I could be for him, a friend.

“Hey Jim. What are you doing here? I thought for sure that you hated me.” Jerry stood there looking at me with a questioning look on his face.

“I came to let you know that I still want to be your friend but that’s all it can be. I’m sorry but you know that I’m straight. Be safe and come home soon.” I pulled him into a hug and before he turned to walk away I noticed tears in his eyes. I knew that what I said probably hurt him but there wasn’t anything I could do about it. He needed to move on and find someone that could love him in that way. He deserved to find that kind of love.

Copyright © 2017 wolfwriter; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 7
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Stepping out of the closet is scary as hell and doing it with someone you have a crush on doesn't make it any easier. Nicely handled.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..