2010 Hockey Playoff Pool

• Site Administrator

Hi All,

So seems there is enough interest in the playoff pool, so here we go. First a few basic rules:

• There will be one winner at the end of the 2010 Stanley Cup Hockey Playoffs. The winner is entitled to a six month Premium GA membership, paid by me :) . If the winner is already a Paid Member, they can extend their membership, or in the case of a Hosted Author, Moderator/Administrator, or even a member who isn't interested in the membership, they can donate the monies to the operation of GA on their behalf.
  • This is for fun. Their is no entry fee, thus taking away the gambling. If you're a member here at GA, you are eligble to enter. I'm sure there is ways to get around the rules, but hey, lets just concentrate on the fun.
  • The winner will be the person with the most points out of a possible 65. Each series winner is worth 5 points. In case of a tie, there will be a unbiased draw from the possible winners to decide the final winner.
  • Each round is a best of seven game series. I don't need to know how many games the series will be won in as this will make things complicated.

Round one series are:

Western Conference ..............................................................Eastern Conference 1

#1 San Jose Sharks vs. #8 Colarado Avalanche #1 Washington Capitals vs. #8 Montreal Canadiens

#2 Chicago Blackhawks vs. #7 Nashville Predators #2 New Jersey Devils vs. #7 Philadelphia Flyers

#3 Vancouver Canucks vs. #6 Los Angeles Kings #3 Buffalo Sabres vs. #6 Boston Bruins

#4 Phoenix Coyotes vs. #5 Detroit Red Wings #4 Pittsburgh Penguins vs. #5 Ottawa Senators

So I just need to know the round and the winners. So an example entry would be:

Round 1:

West: San Jose, Chicago, Vancouver and Phoenix East: Washington, New Jersey, Buffalo, and Pittsburgh

Remember the next round will put the highest finishing team against the lowest team

Round 2:

West: San Jose and Chicago East: Washington and New Jersey

Round 3.

West: San Jose East: Washington

Stanley Cup Champions:

Washington Capitals

That's it :D

Now each series of the round one will have two games done by 11:59 pm on Saturday April 17, 2009. That will be the cut off for entries. This means you get to cheat. If you were to pick a team today, and they go down two games right away, you could edit your entry before Sat. night. At that time I will print the entries and they will be final.

So pop into here and brag, cry, boast, rib, or do whatever you want through out the playoffs. I will try to update scores after each round. Lets see how many people we can get to enter this year. :D

Have Fun!!!

Steve

Edited by wildone

Round One:

San Jose in 5, Detroit in 6; Chicago in 5, Vancouver in 4

Washington in 6, Pittsburgh in 6; New Jersey in 5, Buffalo in 7

Round Two:

Vancouver in 5, Detroit in 7

Pittsburgh in 5, Buffalo in 6

Finals:

Vancouver in 6, Buffalo in 5

Champion:

Vancouver in 5 Edit was to add game counts...

Edited by Tarin

Round One:

San Jose, Chicago, Vancouver, Detroit

Washington, New Jersey, Buffalo, Pittsburgh

Round Two:

Vancouver, Detroit

New Jersey, Pittsburgh

Finals:

Vancouver, New Jersey

Champion:

Vancouver

I guess my West predictions are the same as Tarin's.

Round one Results

West

San Jose Sharks (1), Los Angeles Kings (6), Chicago Blackhawks (2), Detroit Red Wings (5)

East

Washington Capitals (1), Pittsburgh Penguins (4), New Jersey Devils (2), Buffalo Sabers (3)

Round Two Results

West

San Jose Sharks (1), Detroit Red Wings (5)

East

Washington Capitals (1), Buffalo Sabers (3)

Conference Winners

San Jose Sharks (1)

Washington Capitals (1

Winner

San Jose Sharks (1

Round One:

In the interest of underdogs and upsets:

Okay as I understand the rules I can change my pick before the next games. So as Phoenix won I need to update.

blush1.gif

East

• #8 Colorado Avalanche
  • #7 Nashville Predators
  • #6 Los Angeles Kings
  • #5 Detroit Red Wings

West

• #8 Montreal Canadians
  • #7 Philadelphia Flyers
  • #6 Boston Bruins
  • #5 Ottawa Senators

Round Two:

East

• #7 Nashville Predators
  • #5 Detroit Red Wings

West

• #7 Philadelphia Flyers
  • #5 Ottawa Senators

Round Three:

East

• #5 Detroit Red Wings

West

• #5 Ottawa Senators

Stanley Cup Champions

• #5 Detroit Red Wings

• Site Administrator

Thanks Tarin, TjAjCj, RedA and Sam :D .

Remember if you see something that makes you want to change your vote before Saturday night, you can :P

If I may make a suggestion, any who haven't entered and want to, maybe do so early and change if you want. I'd hate to see you miss out because you realize Sunday, or the internets go down :o

Initial post, subject to revision:

Round 1:

Caps over Habs 4-2

Devils over Flyers 4-2

Sabers over Bruins 4-1

Sens over Pens 4-3

Sharks over Avs 4-2

'Hawks over Preds 4-2

Canucks over Kings 4-2

Wings over Coyotes 4-3

Round 2:

Caps over Sens 4-1

Devils over Sabers 4-3

Sharks over Wings 4-2

'Hawks over Canucks 4-3

Round 3:

Devils over Caps 4-2

Sharks over 'Hawks 4-1

Stanley Cup:

Sharks over Devils in 7

And for the fun of it:

Edited by BlueSoxSWJ

Round 1:

Caps over Habs 4-0

Devils over Flyers 4-1

Bruins over Sabres 4-2

Sens over Pens 4-2

Sharks over Avs 4-1

'Hawks over Preds 4-2

Kings over Canucks 4-2

Wings over Coyotes 4-3

Round 2:

Caps over Bs 4-1

Devils over Senators 4-3

Sharks over Kings 4-2

Wings over 'Hawks 4-3

Round 3:

Devils over Caps 4-2

Sharks over Wings 4-1

Stanley Cup:

Sharks over Devils in 7

And for the fun of it:

Those 3 shorthanded goals were amazing! :D

Round one series are:

Western Conference ..............................................................Eastern Conference 1

#1 San Jose Sharks vs. #8 Colarado Avalanche #1 Washington Capitals vs. #8 Montreal Canadiens

#2 Chicago Blackhawks vs. #7 Nashville Predators #2 New Jersey Devils vs. #7 Philadelphia Flyers

#3 Vancouver Canucks vs. #6 Los Angeles Kings #3 Buffalo Sabres vs. #6 Boston Bruins

#4 Phoenix Coyotes vs. #5 Detroit Red Wings #4 Pittsburgh Penguins vs. #5 Ottawa Senators

So I just need to know the round and the winners. So an example entry would be:

Round 1:

West: San Jose(1), Chicago(2), LA Kings(6) and DETROIT!!(5) East: Washington(1), Flyers(7), Boston(6), and Pittsburgh(4)

Round 2:

West: San Jose and DETROIT East: Washington and Boston

Round 3.

West: DETROIT East: Washington

Stanley Cup Champions:

Detroit Red Wings

I'm basing these on pure guesses. If I can't watch the Wings, then I don't watch very many games.

• Site Administrator

WOW!!!!!

It looks like Sam is the early genius after night one thumbsupsmileyanim.gif . The underdogs or lower ranked teams won playing away games :o except for Phoenix who did beat Detroit.

Chalk one game up for Colorado, Phoenix, Ottawa and Philadelphia.

Might be an interesting first round

• Site Administrator

Another interesting evening of hockey. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif I was really suprised at the Chicago/Nashville tilt.

Remember, one more day to get your final enteries in.

I'm hoping we see Mark's predictions here soon as well as the other half of the Bostonian couples entry as well.

Edited by wildone

I'll probably lose again this year, but WTF. Here goes:

Round 1:

West: San Jose, Chicago, Vancouver, Phoenix

East: Washington, New Jersey, Boston, Pittsburgh

Remember the next round will put the highest finishing team against the lowest team

Round 2:

West: Phoenix, Chicago

East: Washington, Pittsburgh

Round 3.

West: Chicago

East: Pittsburgh

Stanley Cup Champions:

Chicago

Eastern Conference Semis

Washington

Pittsburg

New Jersey

Boston

Western Conference Semis

San Jose

Chicago

Vancouver

Detroit

Eastern Conference Finals

Pittsburg

Boston

Western Conference Finals

Chicago

Detroit

Stanley Cup Finals

Chicago

Pittsburg

Champions

Chicago

But of Course I hope...

BostonBRUINSlogo.gif

• Site Administrator

This is great biggrin.gif , Nine people are playing this year.

Although we don't have a female entry (cough, cough, Krista devilsmiley.gif )or a European entry, it should be a good playoffs.

I will try to update at the end of each round the totals for everyone, as well as potential high score for each.

Best of Luck!!!

• Site Administrator

Wow. The first round has definitely been surprising to me :o . Teams winning that I didn't think would, and underdogs still dogging, actually a great first round for hockey. Then today Montreal spanks Washington for their second win in a row. I had them in the grave a couple of nights ago. Phoenix doesn't want to die this year and is doing great against the guys from Hockey Town USA. Too bad LA didn't make it any further in the playoffs, but Vancouver was the better team. Will Chicago finally shake those pesky Predators loose? They will be trying with Hossa, what do you think of that check and the lack of suspension? I was suprised they can suspend Ovechkin, but not Hossa, a black eye on the NHL IMHO. To tell the truth, I'm pulling for the B's to take out Buffalo at home. It has been way too long since they had a team to go all the way. San Jose needed to rally after going down 2-1 where all 3 winning goals were scored by San Jose, how does that happen? The biggest suprise so far for me was the upset of the Devil by the Flyers. I would have never predicted that one. Lastly, Ottawa did their usual early exit, no suprise to me.

Any comments? :P

Flyers over Devils was a real shocker to me, in 5 games no less. I really thought that Broduer would play better than he did. Boucher played well and I guess Philly had some momentum going after just squeaking into the playoffs. Phoenix winning today to stave of elimination was surprising to me, and I think they have a good chance of beating Detroit at home in game 7. I don't really know what to say about the Sens. They led 3-0 in that last game and they still managed to lose. I won't be complaining though since I had Pittsburgh winning that series. I don't anybody gave Colorado much of a chance against San Jose. Colorado played better than I expected them to play but San Jose managed to pull it together. I expect the Sharks to choke next round though unless the Preds manage to beat Chicago, which I doubt will happen/ I hope not. I haven't really paid much attention to the Buffalo-Boston series aside from keeping up on who wins the games and wishing the Ryan Miller plays god-like the next two games.

Steve, not really sure what you are talking about with the Caps-Habs series but there was no game today. Montreal beat Washington in last game but it was the first one since game 1. Now if they do manage to spank Washington tomorrow then that is either good prediction or you are a psychic who I need to start consulting about lotto numbers. :lol:

Lastly, GO CANUCKS GO!!! :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: Awesome present from the Canucks!

Edited by tjajcj

Round 1:

Caps over Habs 4-2 Canadiens defeat Capitals 4-3

Devils over Flyers 4-2 Flyers defeat Devils 4-1

Sabers over Bruins 4-1 Bruins defeat Sabers 4-2

Sens over Pens 4-3 Penguins defeat Senators 4-2

Sharks over Avs 4-2 Sharks defeat Avalanche 4-2

'Hawks over Preds 4-2 Blackhawks defeat Predators 4-2

Canucks over Kings 4-2 Canucks defeat Kings 4-2

Wings over Coyotes 4-3 Red Wings defeat Coyotes 4-3

Round 2:

Caps over Sens 4-1 Canadiens defeat Penguins 4-3

Devils over Sabers 4-3 Flyers defeat Bruins 4-3

Sharks over Wings 4-2 Sharks defeat Red Wings 4-1

'Hawks over Canucks 4-3 Blackhawks defeat Canucks 4-2

Round 3:

Devils over Caps 4-2 Flyers defeat Canadiens 4-1

Sharks over 'Hawks 4-1 Blackhawks defeat Sharks 4-0

Stanley Cup:

Sharks over Devils in 7

Looks like I could still go 0-4 in the division I follow and 4-4 (with series lengths!) in the division I don't follow. Go figure.

Wow. 4/4 with lengths in the conference I don't care about, 0-4 (with no lengths) in the conference I do care about.

Edited by BlueSoxSWJ

This is great biggrin.gif , Nine people are playing this year.

Although we don't have a female entry (cough, cough, Krista devilsmiley.gif )or a European entry, it should be a good playoffs.

I will try to update at the end of each round the totals for everyone, as well as potential high score for each.

Best of Luck!!!

hey! I entered! and last I checked, I had girly parts.

GO RED WINGS!