Jump to content
  • entries
    45
  • comments
    560
  • views
    2,262

Coronavirus COVID-19


Wayne Gray

473 views

The coronavirus is large and in charge in the news cycles right now. Since I work in healthcare, it's sort of center-stage in my world. I'll say this now - though I work in medicine, I am not an expert in virology or epidemiology. However, I have access to both of those types of experts, and I listen very closely to what they're saying.

The overall messaging is: It's likely that there will be a worldwide pandemic. It's likely that there will be a huge disruption of services, due to how many people will be sick at once. It's likely most people will recover with no treatment - so long as basic needs for food and water are met.

The virus ranges in severity from that of an annoying cold, to SARS level illness. Severity seems heavily linked to overall health of the sick person before they displayed symptoms.

People forget that influenza can be deadly, and that circulates every year. The difference here is COVID-19 has no herd immunity in our populations. Meaning, if you're exposed, and the virus makes it into your respiratory system, then you will likely come down with the bug.

You can protect yourself. Wash your hands. It's the top way to stay healthy. Yes, really. Stay away from those you know are ill if you can. If you can't, ensure you're not coughed on by anyone with symptoms, and use hand sanitizer/handwashing after you leave the sick person's area. Also wash your hands before applying make up, eating, or using lip balm.

If you do get sick, communicate with your local public health department, and your primary care physician. You will likely be asked to self-isolate if it's determined that you have COVID-19.

I know this all probably sounds scary, but ... this is not E.bola. My working in healthcare means no matter my precautions I'll probably end up catching this thing, and I'm not afraid. I've looked at the numbers and panic isn't warranted.

Don't take my word for it. Look to the experts, those who have spent their entire lives studying for this very moment.

Coronavirus 2019 CDC Information
WHO Coronavirus 2019 Information

Be sensible, watchful, and proactive, and soon this thing will burn itself out.

  • Like 8
  • Love 6

24 Comments


Recommended Comments

Thanks, Wayne for posting this. With it popping up in my backyard, here in Hillsborough County, it's become a topic of concern around the house.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
9 minutes ago, Brayon said:

Thanks, Wayne for posting this. With it popping up in my backyard, here in Hillsborough County, it's become a topic of concern around the house.

You're welcome. It's new, and people are scared ... so I feel like the folks with access to experts really need to share that expertise more widely, otherwise the "wisdom" of the interwebz will cause panic (yes, I realize the irony). Panic is really the danger here, and it'll make the situation far worse than it otherwise would be.

Again, I'm not an expert, but I do listen to them, and resources are out there to get the most current information available.

Edited by Wayne Gray
  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment

I just saw on the news that the USA now has a vaccine that was approved for clinical trials today.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Kitt

Posted (edited)

We had ONE suspected case at the local hospital here that actually tested negative, but it started a panic like the prediction of a 4 foot snowstorm would. Bottled water was impossible to find for a few days (peeps, the water supply is NOT compromised) i could not find a dust mask in any store to sweep yhe floors in the barn with, and hand sanitizer, well dont expect yo see that any time soon.

My pt's office had sanitizer on the front desk with a sign asking patients to use it BEFOR signing in due to the "current health crisis" and that was befor the suspected case turned up.

I cancelled my apt on monday not because i was frightened, but because i was having an allergy attack. Figured if i had a sneezing fit it would start a riot!

Edited by Kitt
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
4 minutes ago, Brayon said:

I just saw on the news that the USA now has a vaccine that was approved for clinical trials today.

Afternoon news says vacines are several months away at best.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Just now, Kitt said:

Afternoon news says vacines are several months away at best.

Yup. Still months from public use, but there is one now, and it's in testing.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
14 minutes ago, Brayon said:

Yup. Still months from public use, but there is one now, and it's in testing.

FYI our local public health medical director is saying 12-18 months from a working vaccine. She went on to say the information circulating from non-medical circles is wildly optimistic.

Edited by Wayne Gray
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
34 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

I lived thru SARS i expect i can live thru this too. We have cases here in T.O. Travel related. No one at work so far. Bank has cancelled travel. They supply us with hospital grade wipes and hand santizer. At home we are putting together supplies for a 14 to 20 day isolation. Stuff we should really have on hand anyway. Thanks Wayne for calm and sensible insight.

You're welcome. All of that is sensible.

You guys are prepared. Nice job! 🙂

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
18 minutes ago, Kitt said:

We had ONE suspected case at the local hospital here that actually tested negative, but it started a panic like the prediction of a 4 foot snowstorm would. Bottled water was impossible to find for a few days (peeps, the water supply is NOT compromised) i could not find a dust mask in any store to sweep yhe floors in the barn with, and hand sanitizer, well dont expect yo see that any time soon.

My pt's office had sanitizer on the front desk with a sign asking patients to use it BEFOR signing in due to the "current health crisis" and that was befor the suspected case turned up.

I cancelled my apt on monday not because i was frightened, but because i was having an allergy attack. Figured if i had a sneezing fit it would start a riot!

It’s a really fine line to be ahead of an issue and not cause panic.

Make suggestions to your local health care provider office. Let them know how you felt seeing their response. Right now the biggest danger is panic. If you believe health centers could be causing that, they need to know.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
3 minutes ago, Parker Owens said:

Thanks, Wayne. The perspective is very useful. 

You’re welcome. It’d be amazing if folks go to the experts for their information when they have questions.

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment
1 minute ago, Wayne Gray said:

 

Make suggestions to your local health care provider office. Let them know how you felt seeing their response. Right now the biggest danger is panic. If you believe health centers could be causing that, they need to know.

Already spoke with them.  But on the same token, i can understand why my having a sneezing fit might upset peeps, hence why i stayed home and did my exercises as best i could there.

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment
10 minutes ago, Kitt said:

Already spoke with them.  But on the same token, i can understand why my having a sneezing fit might upset peeps, hence why i stayed home and did my exercises as best i could there.

Yeah, that’s sensible. I would have done the same.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

since i take an immunosuppressive med, i sent a message to my rheumatologist. she said to just be careful, avoid crowds, wash my hands, make sure the family washes well & regularly. she also mentioned to eat well, get my rest. our bodies are better able to fight off germs if we are well fed & rested. 

thanks Wayne, for starting a sane, sensible discussion of this issue.

  • Love 4
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, mollyhousemouse said:

since i take an immunosuppressive med, i sent a message to my rheumatologist. she said to just be careful, avoid crowds, wash my hands, make sure the family washes well & regularly. she also mentioned to eat well, get my rest. our bodies are better able to fight off germs if we are well fed & rested. 

thanks Wayne, for starting a sane, sensible discussion of this issue.

You're welcome, molly.

you did wonderfully by asking for clarity. That is great advice. Our bodies will fight off the world if we give them the tools to do so. Now, the trick ... follow that advice, in particular about the rest.

By now, I know something about you. Get your sleep, molly!

  • Love 2
  • Wow 1
Link to comment

tim convinced me that we need to be prepared, not panic, not prep, not sit on 80 packages of toilet paper, or 100 cases of water, but if one of us or both get this, or the flu even we need to have things in. 

So we've got stuff we can use for about 15 to 20 days.  I always resisted this, but it does make sense, if we both are ill, no one wants to go shopping. So we're good. 

I think both tim and I need to sleep more. We will have to work on that. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment
28 minutes ago, Wayne Gray said:

You're welcome, molly.

you did wonderfully by asking for clarity. That is great advice. Our bodies will fight off the world if we give them the tools to do so. 

i figured i'd better check with her since this is unusual, not the run of the mill viruses.
 

30 minutes ago, Wayne Gray said:

Now, the trick ... follow that advice, in particular about the rest.

By now, I know something about you. Get your sleep, molly!

with the recent changes we've made to our bedtime routine, this is no longer as big an issue as it used to be, thank you very much!  :rolleyes:

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment
4 minutes ago, MichaelS36 said:

tim convinced me that we need to be prepared, not panic, not prep, not sit on 80 packages of toilet paper, or 100 cases of water, but if one of us or both get this, or the flu even we need to have things in. 

So we've got stuff we can use for about 15 to 20 days.  I always resisted this, but it does make sense, if we both are ill, no one wants to go shopping. So we're good. 

I think both tim and I need to sleep more. We will have to work on that. 

Sleep is huge. It's the only time our bodies recharge, and replenish so many necessary enzymes and substances vital for our health. A lot of those things are involved directly in our immune responses too. Sorry ... you already know it's important. I'll stop.

Great work on preparing. Something to also consider is peanut butter. It won't ruin, it's super calorie-dense, and it's freaking peanut butter. That really should be all the reason you need to add it to your "disaster kit."

Thanks for the comment. 😄

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment
1 minute ago, Wayne Gray said:

Great work on preparing. Something to also consider is peanut butter. It won't ruin, it's super calorie-dense, and it's freaking peanut butter. That really should be all the reason you need to add it to your "disaster kit."

Yes, it is on the list as is some no sugar ginger ale. 

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment

thanks Wayne we have also spoke with my brothers and sister and we all will help each other during this. We also have stocked up on easy to fix foods. so like everyone else’s we are concerned but planning ahead. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment

Stocking the pantry was the least of my issues. I positively HATE shopping so when I go, I have issues with where to store a months worth of groceries. The only stuff I will need for the foreseeable future are perishables.

  • Love 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, rickproehl said:

thanks Wayne we have also spoke with my brothers and sister and we all will help each other during this. We also have stocked up on easy to fix foods. so like everyone else’s we are concerned but planning ahead. 

It's great to plan. That's a lot different from panic, and it will pay off. Nice work, rick.

  • Love 3
Link to comment
13 minutes ago, Kitt said:

Stocking the pantry was the least of my issues. I positively HATE shopping so when I go, I have issues with where to store a months worth of groceries. The only stuff I will need for the foreseeable future are perishables.

Good. You're set. Something I had forgotten to do was stock up on cat litter/food. So that's next on the list for us.

  • Love 3
Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..