The Cleansing by Jfalkon

• 2 weeks later...
  • Site Administrator

A romantic start to the story -- a second honeymoon road trip :wub: Unfortunately, the story didn't continue in the same vein. Just like so many real-life stories, life wasn't a dream.

I don't know a lot about voodoo, but this appears to be a realistic account of both the culture that surrounds and practises voodoo, and the way it is supposed to affect people. I liked the ending, though, and especially this quote:

It's not the one who kills you it's the one who brings you back. That's the one that gets your soul.

As it was love that brought back the soul, that's saying that they are, or became as a result of this incident, true soul-mates.

You remind me of the babe

What babe? babe with the power

What power? power of voodoo

Who do? you do

Do what? remind me of the babe

Everytime I hear about voodoo, I can't help having these great lines from Labyrinth come to my mind(I think it actually comes from another movie, but I couldn't find out which one).

Though they're not 100% relevant to this story, there is something about the Power of Love in The Cleansing too..

All the ingredients of a horror film: the sophisticated urban people stranded in the boons, where a weird community has settled. The bokor. Goat skulls. Zombies. Pleasant read, well done; I thought it would end up with drama, and my soft little heart was reassured by the happy ending.

Starting out as a romantic trip with a detour into the supernatural, this story raises the tension level bit by bit. The discovery of the goat skull was downright chilling!

The live goat near the end seemed to me to foreshadow the return to life. And I too loved the last line. :great:

Wow, that was spooky. You had me scared, especially with that woamn telling everything! :lol:

That was a nice story showing the strength of love that can even win against black magic. :wub: The atmosphere was well set with the tension and supernatural stuuff. Like the others, I loved the last line. It was too cool and romantic! :worship:

Ieshwar

Goat Skulls!!! This is the second Anthology entry where there is a mention of goats!!

CJ, YOU'RE GETTING FAMOUS BY THE DAY!! lol

Seriously, a really spooky story, especially the part where they find the goat skull...

I enjoyed this story right from the start till the end. Well written, good pace, great setting....that's all I have to say... :worship:

Awesome!!!

The BeaStKid

Thanks for all the nice coments! :D I'm happy you enjoyed it.

Starting out as a romantic trip with a detour into the supernatural, this story raises the tension level bit by bit. The discovery of the goat skull was downright chilling!

The live goat near the end seemed to me to foreshadow the return to life. And I too loved the last line. :great:

I felt a little bad about the goat's skull when I realized who the submisions were being sent to. I'm glad you have a sense of humor.

I felt a little bad about the goat's skull when I realized who the submisions were being sent to. I'm glad you have a sense of humor.

When Graeme was doing the layout and selecting the pictures, I had to keep telling him; No, you can't have my skull for the artwork, I'm using it! :lol:

8% of the anthology entries had goats featured in them. I don't remember this happening in the previous one. If this is a trend, more than half of the entries two years from now will have goats in them.

I actually learned something with this story, for I associated Voodoo more with chicken than with goats.

Great story Jfalkon!

First off I also loved the last line. a lot of power behind those few words.

I loved the rest of the story as well. It had the whole horror story set up. I'm just glad you didn't take it too far.

How come in all horror stories the main characters always go somewhere dark and lonely even after hearing what's going on? :lol:

I think the goat theme is here to stay. It gives this site an extra layer of character. Speaking of goats, C James is doing some awsome things with his goat's skull.

As for character in horror stories, I think most of the time they do stupid things out of curiosity much like the people who write these stories. I can't count the number of times I have gone somewhere just to find out what's over there.

Thanks for all you kind coments. :D

As for character in horror stories, I think most of the time they do stupid things out of curiosity much like the people who write these stories. I can't count the number of times I have gone somewhere just to find out what's over there.

That is so true!! I mean i've seen so many movies where it is sooo obvious that one shouldn't be visiting some place and the hero/heroine is dumb enough to go there and scream his/her head off when they see what there is...lol

Guess they'll never learn to let unknown things remain what they are---unknown....and us writers would never be tires of writing about their dumbness....lol

The BeaStKid