GA Get-Together (post-2007 and planning for 2008)

Trebs

2008 GA Get-together planning  

42 members have voted

1. 1. What city for 2008?

• New York City (and I'll probably go)
    • New York City (though I prob won't go)
    • Dallas, TX (and I'll probably go)
    • Dallas, TX (though I prob won't go)
  2. 2. What date(s) look good for you? (can choose more than 1)

• June 6-8, 2008 weekend
    • Nov 7-9, 2008 weekend
    • Dec 12-14, 2008 weekend

NOT JUNE! HOT=BAD! Although if it were in NYC I don't forsee the same... voracity of heat.

Then you obviously have never been to the city in June before. Neither have I, but my skyscraper-less hometown gets into the triple digits many times over summer, and I'm an hour train ride from the city.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another proposal is to figure out a wonderful, rural tourist destination that's off the beaten track (read: inexpensive) and still fascinating. Some examples: the Laurel Highlands of Pennsylvania (Ohiopyle, Fallingwater), the mountains of West Virginia, a historical settlement like New Harmony, Indiana, or Cripple Creek, Colorado, the volcanic reaches of inland Oregon. Or visit a ski-resort or the beach off season.

Affordable, interesting, and we'd have the place mostly to ourselves..

My parents live 150 miles from NYC and I might be in PA for the summer to work my ass off if I don't find a good job in Canada during then. So NYC on a weekend in June sounds good to me. I might make it...

Dallas? Dream on...I'm not flying to Texas. I've never been to Texas and I won't do it for this little meeting. Sorry. ;)

Since you did it in SF, it would be fair to shift half-way west or go to the East Coast, then go mid-country in 2009. The US is a huge country...it would be unfair to keep the location in one part of the country over and over.

If you want me to suggest other places, then Philly...Boston...Washington DC... Yeah, I'm East Coast biased because that's where I grew up and those places are near me than anywhere else.

It's nice to pick a location in the countryside, but in my opinion, it would be hard for some of us to make it due to limited transportation possiblities. If it's somewhere in eastern Pennsylvania or lower upstate New York, I could just drive...but further than that, sorry.

I would suggest Toronto or Ottawa or Montreal or Quebec... But getting into Canada will be harder next year since we might need passports or special passport-driver's licenses to get in Canada. If you pick one of those Canadian cities, I'd make it in November or December then. Maybe June if I could find a job in Canada over the summer.

Europeans should make up a location in Europe...don't worry about flying over the Altantic. ;)

Dallas? Dream on...I'm not flying to Texas. I've never been to Texas and I won't do it for this little meeting. Sorry. ;)

But Texas is fun!!

I would suggest Toronto or Ottawa or Montreal or Quebec... But getting into Canada will be harder next year since we might need passports or special passport-driver's licenses to get in Canada. If you pick one of those Canadian cities, I'd make it in November or December then. Maybe June if I could find a job in Canada over the summer.

Oh do let's make it in Canada! I've been itching to go there for as long as I can remember!!

Europeans should make up a location in Europe...don't worry about flying over the Altantic. ;)

Our very own Clumber is working to make that happen! 2008 UK get-together?

Have an awesome day everyone!

-Kevin

• 4 weeks later...

I voted for Dallas, because I've been wanting to go to Texas for the last couple of years. New York has just never interested me that much. Granted, I was born and currently live in Los Angeles, so some of the "big city" wow factor is a bit lost on me.

All that said, I'll probably attend no matter where it is located.