2008 UK get-together?

clumber

Ok, how about this?

A meeting sometime between the 31st of March and the 22nd of April (there are 4 weekends in those dates) somewhere in York (actual place to be decided closer to the event).

Obviously it would be in a weekend and there are 4 weekends in that date range (31-1, 7-8, 14-15 and 21-22).

So, if people could please post if they can make it around then along with any suggestions/alternative plans that they have?

Likely comers:

clumber

Andy

Matt

Dalmatia

Maybe coming but unsure

Jamessavic

-------------------------------------

Martin 0:)

Edited by clumber

Well, I can't really contribute in any concrete way since I obviously am very unlikely to be able to attend (though would certainly love to!). However, I will say that I think one of the things that "worked" for the SF get together was having a concrete place and date. Right now I suspect people are swamped by the sheer number of possibilities. I also think it helped that to begin with there was just a poll about whether you could possibly make it, and that got people thinking, and THEN they committed themselves.

Why not pick a specific time and place that you know would work for you, Martin, and then see how people would respond to that?

Right now it's like "we should have lunch sometime" "yes, we should"

Studies indicate that it works better to say something like, "You want to go to Ralph's steakhouse with me for lunch on Thursday?". It's not even important that you necessarily have the lunch then and there, but it opens up the lines of communication and gets people thinking in a more concrete way "No, I'm a vegetarian, let's go to Jane's salad bar instead". :P

Just my thoughts, but I'm really hoping it works out! :D

Well, I can't really contribute in any concrete way since I obviously am very unlikely to be able to attend (though would certainly love to!). However, I will say that I think one of the things that "worked" for the SF get together was having a concrete place and date. Right now I suspect people are swamped by the sheer number of possibilities. I also think it helped that to begin with there was just a poll about whether you could possibly make it, and that got people thinking, and THEN they committed themselves.

Why not pick a specific time and place that you know would work for you, Martin, and then see how people would respond to that?

Right now it's like "we should have lunch sometime" "yes, we should"

Studies indicate that it works better to say something like, "You want to go to Ralph's steakhouse with me for lunch on Thursday?". It's not even important that you necessarily have the lunch then and there, but it opens up the lines of communication and gets people thinking in a more concrete way "No, I'm a vegetarian, let's go to Jane's salad bar instead". :P

Just my thoughts, but I'm really hoping it works out! :D

If I actually had lunch with all the people to whom I've said 'Lets have lunch' I would be very fat and very poor. Lunches with me tend to involve places I can't afford...

I could probably make a get-together in the UK but I make no promises. Life is busy, and to be quite honest, I've never been partial to large gatherings of people I only know from avatars online.

Menzo

If I actually had lunch with all the people to whom I've said 'Lets have lunch' I would be very fat and very poor. Lunches with me tend to involve places I can't afford...

I could probably make a get-together in the UK but I make no promises. Life is busy, and to be quite honest, I've never been partial to large gatherings of people I only know from avatars online.

Well, if you can't make the convention maybe you can "do lunch" with some of them another time... ;)

Well, the reason I didn't suggest a possible time is because I haven't got a clue when would be ok for me. I don't know anything much about next year other than for two weeks "in summer" I have to be on a dig. So, to my knowledge, times that are ok for me are any weekend other than 2 of the weeks in summer but I can't actually say which weeks those are.

As for location, all I can say really is someplace in London, basically because its pretty easy to access from anywhere in the UK (trains and plains are dead cheap if you book in advance). I can't say anything more specific than that because I don't know anything about London other than that its that city sort of place that I think is over there *points*.

Anyway, I'll pester a load of lecturers until one of them gives in and tells me what he/she knows about next year, then I'll suggest a time. Ok?

(Honestly, is it really beyond anyone here to have a suggestion of their own which isn't an attempt to shoot down the whole idea?)

Edited by clumber

Menzo

:huh: Sorry this is off topic, but that doesn't seem to be the same Menzo who went all blah blah blah to Kevin & I about being honest with dates and such in the A Guide to Boyfriends thread.

Vic 'who no longer feels guilty for little white lies' :lol:

P.S. - I vote for London

:huh: Sorry this is off topic, but that doesn't seem to be the same Menzo who went all blah blah blah to Kevin & I about being honest with dates and such in the A Guide to Boyfriends thread.

Vic 'who no longer feels guilty for little white lies' :lol:

P.S. - I vote for London

But its not an intentional thing. I am usually sincere, I just forget... And I;m also not sleeping with these people:P

Menzo

Ok, how about this?

A meeting sometime between the 31st of March and the 22nd of April (there are 4 weekends in those dates) somewhere in York (actual place to be decided closer to the event).

Obviously it would be in a weekend and there are 4 weekends in that date range (31-1, 7-8, 14-15 and 21-22).

So, if people could please post if they can make it around then along with any suggestions/alternative plans that they have?

EDIT: Changed the Main Post to this

Edited by clumber

How silly of me to think that people would even acknowledge the existence of this thread. silly, silly, silly.

You know, if people didn't want this to happen then they only had to bloody say.

Edited by clumber

I actually have no clue what I will be doing that time next year. GB is not too far away from here and flights to London can be pretty cheap (the lowest I paid was 9.99 Euro :blink: without taxes and stuff). Sorry I cannot help you with this. But I promise I'll join if it is possible in some way. :D That is if anyone even wants me to come :unsure:

Tob

How silly of me to think that people would even acknowledge the existence of this thread. silly, silly, silly.

You know, if people didn't want this to happen then they only had to bloody say.

Aww :hug:

I'm sure they do, Martin, they're probably just...shy :blink:

Come on guys! There's lots of you UK/Europeans out there! Let's hear from some more!

I actually have no clue what I will be doing that time next year. GB is not too far away from here and flights to London can be pretty cheap (the lowest I paid was 9.99 Euro without taxes and stuff).

WOW! That is cheap!

Sorry I cannot help you with this. But I promise I'll join if it is possible in some way. :D That is if anyone even wants me to come :unsure:

I'm sure they'd be honoured, Tob ;)

Take care all, and let's hear from you guys!

-Kevin

I actually have no clue what I will be doing that time next year. GB is not too far away from here and flights to London can be pretty cheap (the lowest I paid was 9.99 Euro :blink: without taxes and stuff). Sorry I cannot help you with this. But I promise I'll join if it is possible in some way. :D That is if anyone even wants me to come :unsure:

Tob

Hope you can make it. And I know, flights really can be stupidly cheap (YAY for Ryanair etc :D ) And yes, of course we'd want you to come. :D

Come on brits! This isn't difficult! I mean, its not like Britain is that big. Surely you can consider the possibility of having a free weekend next year? If you don't like the dates suggested, suggest new ones. If you don't like the location suggested, suggest a new one. Just at least consider the possibility of this.

I'd be game for the event, since I may at last afford this type of fun thanks to my new job. Just hoping there won't be a conflict with possible concerts for the band; I'll have an eye on the calendar to make a suggestion.

I'm applying to English Universties for 2008. If I'm accepted and if I go, then...

But that won't be till Aug-Sep... :(

But hope that this one works! :D

Ieshwar

What Uni's are you trying to get into??

And if you do get into one then you could come to the 2009 get-together :D

Oh, yeah, Cam is very very expensive. *sigh* I relly don't know. I'm applying to Manchester, Nottigham and Birmingham. My fav is the last one. But then, Rohun is in Manchester right now... I'm thinking of something in LOndon too.

So don't know.

Ieshwar

Go to Birmingham, thats the closest to me :lol: Its not that far from Manchester either so you could easily travel it... but then the Britain's tiny so it doesnt take to long to get anywhere.... well unless you live in the middle of no where like me :(

London's fun :D My sister lives there so I'm always going up on the train to see her, though I'm not really going to see her, I'm really going to go shopping, she's just a place where I can stay for free :2thumbs: